Bleacher Report article ranks USU student section #10

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
MetsJetsAggies

Bleacher Report article ranks USU student section #10

Post by MetsJetsAggies » June 1st, 2011, 8:44 pm

We were rated 10th, which is still a bit low IMO.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7091 ... ps/page/17
Utah State may not have a specific students section, but their entire arena is filled with students. Utah State's lack of an actual student section is actually a good thing for them, because their students crowd the entire stadium, and this leads to deafening chants.

The entire arena is created into a student section when Utah State plays, and that is why they are allowed on this list.
However, he is kind of wrong about the whole "no students section" thing.
Last edited by MetsJetsAggies on June 1st, 2011, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MetsJetsAggies

Re: Bleacher Report article ranks USU student section #10

Post by MetsJetsAggies » June 1st, 2011, 8:47 pm

Also, it is such garbage that he rated SDSU higher than us considering they stole the "I believe" chant from us...essentially admitting they look up to us for ideas to improve their student section.

justinmorrey
Has thanked: 0

Post by justinmorrey » June 1st, 2011, 9:03 pm

Bleacher Report has no credibility. Their articles are written by fans. If I wanted I could sign up and write an article for them about how USU's student section is #1 in the country.

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » June 1st, 2011, 10:29 pm

justinmorrey wrote:Bleacher Report has no credibility. Their articles are written by fans. If I wanted I could sign up and write an article for them about how USU's student section is #1 in the country.
You should do that then. ;)

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » June 1st, 2011, 11:33 pm

My biggest problem with the article as well was SDSU being ahead of USU. I can't say for sure how good some of the other ones are but I know that USU's is better than SDSU.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » June 2nd, 2011, 7:28 am

I take issue with SDSU's copycats and UNC's "wine and cheese" crowd being rated ahead of USU, but at least the writer knew to include the Spectrum.

LazyAye
Been thanked: 0

Post by LazyAye » June 2nd, 2011, 8:35 am

Even I, as a BYU fan, have to give you props here.

I was at the BYU/USU game in Provo and sat one section away from your traveling student section. If our home crowd, as big as it was, was as active and organized as your road crowd, it would have been the most unbelievable atmosphere of any game I'd ever been to.

Personally, I think that chubby guy that likes to take his shirt off is overrated. And the rest of your student section is underrated.

And it is better than SDSU.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » June 2nd, 2011, 9:28 am

My biggest issue with SDSU on the list at all is that it was for one year! The others on this list have long standing traditions and reputations. The Spectrum has been a crazy house for 20 years despite the added student organization of the last several seasons.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 2nd, 2011, 11:20 am

As much as I dislike BYU, I think the whole "dress like missionaries" for the BYU game is rather immature (especially with the large LDS population in Southern California) and when they lose 2 years in a row with it, it makes them look even worse. Not that big of a deal, but I'm not sure they are top 10.... I'm also not sure i'd put them above the Pit. I've been to the Pit and the Pit is legit. and maybe i'm the only one in the world who think the Cameron Crazies are a tad overrated. MAYBE top 10. I guess I just feel that the current crop of Duke students aren't as creative as they used to be back in the days of speedo guy (I think Bill might be a bit more effective). Lets Go Duke! and the attempt to go Harry Potter on opposing players is not all that impressive. Granted I've never been to Cameron Indoor and TV cant grab the whole feel... but from what I can tell the most annoying things in college basketball are Dicky V., and when Duke fans casts a spell.

“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » June 2nd, 2011, 9:38 pm

LazyAye wrote:Even I, as a BYU fan, have to give you props here.

I was at the BYU/USU game in Provo and sat one section away from your traveling student section. If our home crowd, as big as it was, was as active and organized as your road crowd, it would have been the most unbelievable atmosphere of any game I'd ever been to.

Personally, I think that chubby guy that likes to take his shirt off is overrated. And the rest of your student section is underrated.

And it is better than SDSU.
If you were impressed with the road crowd, you ought to make the trip up to Logan for a game sometime.

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » June 3rd, 2011, 2:51 pm

I meant to create a thread about this when it happened, but I got distracted by NCAA talk. So I'll post this story here:

I went to a party the night of the USU/Boise State WAC championship game. Nearly everyone at the party was a Duke student. I convinced them to turn on the game during the party. At any rate, a few of the people there asked me what game I was watching, and I told them it was Utah State/Boise State. I mentioned that I am a USU alum.

They got really excited to hear that I was from Utah State. "You actually went to Utah State? Don't they have like the most amazing fans in the country?" They were familiar with every single one of our antics. They got really excited when they saw Bill on the screen, and they got even more excited when they heard the "winning team, losing team" chant. One of them went so far as to say: "Man, sometimes I wish I went to college at Utah State. I would love to go to a game in their stadium. Yeah, Cameron is awesome, but believe me, it's nothing compared to the stuff that you guys do."

It's like, "Seriously!?! A group of Duke students is telling me that they want to attend a game at Utah State because they think that our student section is better than anything they have experienced?" I thought that was a pretty high compliment.

I still haven't made it to a game at either Duke or UNC. Tickets are super-expensive, and I have trouble spending the money when my wife has no interest at all. But I will do it one of those days, and I will be sure to let everyone know how it compares with the Spectrum. :)

JasonJensen
Been thanked: 0

Post by JasonJensen » June 3rd, 2011, 3:47 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:I meant to create a thread about this when it happened, but I got distracted by NCAA talk. So I'll post this story here:

I went to a party the night of the USU/Boise State WAC championship game. Nearly everyone at the party was a Duke student. I convinced them to turn on the game during the party. At any rate, a few of the people there asked me what game I was watching, and I told them it was Utah State/Boise State. I mentioned that I am a USU alum.

They got really excited to hear that I was from Utah State. "You actually went to Utah State? Don't they have like the most amazing fans in the country?" They were familiar with every single one of our antics. They got really excited when they saw Bill on the screen, and they got even more excited when they heard the "winning team, losing team" chant. One of them went so far as to say: "Man, sometimes I wish I went to college at Utah State. I would love to go to a game in their stadium. Yeah, Cameron is awesome, but believe me, it's nothing compared to the stuff that you guys do."

It's like, "Seriously!?! A group of Duke students is telling me that they want to attend a game at Utah State because they think that our student section is better than anything they have experienced?" I thought that was a pretty high compliment.

I still haven't made it to a game at either Duke or UNC. Tickets are super-expensive, and I have trouble spending the money when my wife has no interest at all. But I will do it one of those days, and I will be sure to let everyone know how it compares with the Spectrum. :)

How big is the Duke student section? You can have a great student section but when they only let 1,500 students in you're not going to compete with our 4,500 students.

I've see some good student sections but overall, the amount of students we get to the games doesn't compare to most schools.

Then again, Penn State has a student section of 50,000 but you're talking about a huge program in the most popular sport in America.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » June 3rd, 2011, 4:08 pm

JasonJensen wrote: How big is the Duke student section? You can have a great student section but when they only let 1,500 students in you're not going to compete with our 4,500 students.

I've see some good student sections but overall, the amount of students we get to the games doesn't compare to most schools.

Then again, Penn State has a student section of 50,000 but you're talking about a huge program in the most popular sport in America.
From Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote:Then, as now, Duke students were allocated a large number of the seats, including those in the lower sections directly alongside the court. Renovations in 1987–1988 removed the standing room areas, added an electronic scoreboard and display over center court, wood paneling, brass railings and student seats, bringing capacity to 9,314, though now there is sufficient standing to ensure a total of 10,000 could fit into Cameroon Indoor on a very busy day. For high profile games, students are known to pack in as many as 1,600 into the student sections, designed for a maximum of 1,100.
Interesting that they think 1,100 is a "large number of seats" given the fact that we have approximately 4 times that amount allocated to Aggie students. I hope that never changes.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » June 3rd, 2011, 4:27 pm

To give you a better idea of how many 1,100 is, that is about the number of seats that UV allots for students....not that they ever hit that number but that's the number that they alot.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » June 4th, 2011, 10:16 am

At last! Something on which I can speak authoritatively. I have degrees from both USU (BS) and Duke (MD). When it comes to student sections, USU is better. The Spectrum is bigger and better designed. Even adjusting for the numbers, the students at USU are more enthusiastic and organized. Give them credit, the Duke kids are clever, though. They could be wicked in organized taunts of specific opposing players.

Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AggieLarry

Locked Previous topicNext topic