Menzie comments

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieHead

Menzie comments

Post by AggieHead » March 3rd, 2011, 12:29 pm

One of Menzie's comments after the game was "it's tough to play against old guys that know how to play". That argument is so TIRED! NMSU doesn't know how to play down the stretch because their coach sucks. If your players don't know how to play then you the coach needs to look at himself first. How does taking 2 years off from playing basketball magically make a player know how to play? USU knows how to play because they have been taught be a great coach, not because some are 1-2 years older then the opponent. If age were such an advantage then why doesn't every coach recruit missionaries, or encourage all players to take a year or two off before suiting up? Menzies is a crappy coach that can recruit talented players but not teach them how to play the game.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Re: Menzie comments

Post by NVAggie » March 3rd, 2011, 12:36 pm

I think it is more an emotional and personal maturity than a body maturity. Besides, most of his team has taken 3-5 years off in the State Pen before playing at NMSU. What is Gillie these days like 25 years old. Is this the Puerto Rican baseball camp here. TIC for all of those NMSU fans here.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 3rd, 2011, 12:37 pm

Yeah, that excuse is tired. Surely he can recruit some LDS kids if he wants to.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 3rd, 2011, 12:39 pm

What was his excuse for the rest of their losses this year? It's not like they didn't have a lot of them.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » March 3rd, 2011, 12:40 pm

Amen. Menzies can't accept that his coaching is the problem so he has to blame his poor recruiting strategy. Go out and recruit old white guys from Utah then if that's what wins ball games. Either way, he's admitting he sucks.

justintime
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by justintime » March 3rd, 2011, 1:37 pm

He's not calling you old, he's calling you senior-laden. That was my original interpretation.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » March 3rd, 2011, 1:49 pm

He should talk! Menzies is way older than anyone on our team.

JasonJensen

Post by JasonJensen » March 3rd, 2011, 1:52 pm

What's the excuse going to be next year when we only have one LDS starter on the team? Unless Stone plays.

Nowadays all I hear about is the advantage is to be young, but according to Menzies it's better to be old. Well, hell, let's go get some 30 year old in the Logan City rec league and kick some butt.

He's a little b!tch. I miss watching good ole' Neil McCarthy coaching. He was always entertaining.

ultimateaggie

Post by ultimateaggie » March 3rd, 2011, 2:16 pm

AggieHead wrote:One of Menzie's comments after the game was "it's tough to play against old guys that know how to play". That argument is so TIRED! NMSU doesn't know how to play down the stretch because their coach sucks. If your players don't know how to play then you the coach needs to look at himself first. How does taking 2 years off from playing basketball magically make a player know how to play? USU knows how to play because they have been taught be a great coach, not because some are 1-2 years older then the opponent. If age were such an advantage then why doesn't every coach recruit missionaries, or encourage all players to take a year or two off before suiting up? Menzies is a crappy coach that can recruit talented players but not teach them how to play the game.
+1

wacfan08

Post by wacfan08 » March 3rd, 2011, 2:41 pm

AggieHead wrote:One of Menzie's comments after the game was "it's tough to play against old guys that know how to play". That argument is so TIRED! NMSU doesn't know how to play down the stretch because their coach sucks. If your players don't know how to play then you the coach needs to look at himself first. How does taking 2 years off from playing basketball magically make a player know how to play? USU knows how to play because they have been taught be a great coach, not because some are 1-2 years older then the opponent. If age were such an advantage then why doesn't every coach recruit missionaries, or encourage all players to take a year or two off before suiting up? Menzies is a crappy coach that can recruit talented players but not teach them how to play the game.

Disagree. Menzies is a crappy coach that HAS to recruit talented 2nd tier players with grade and personal problems that other school will not touch with a ten foot pole. It is not just chance that most players there don't have offers from other big name programs. Yes some of them are talented but most are lazy, dumb, in trouble, drugs, ect ect... He can't recruit high charater talented kids. I can't think of a single one. :noidea:

aggieballer

Post by aggieballer » March 3rd, 2011, 2:57 pm

I have two years eligibility left, served a mission, can still drain the trey, and 53, 6'2" point guard can I play for NMSU! I should be in the hall of fame according to Menzies standards.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 3rd, 2011, 4:30 pm

OOOps!!!! I thought Menzies was a disease. :crazy:

USUinventedswagger

Post by USUinventedswagger » March 3rd, 2011, 4:33 pm

Yeah maybe that argument would hold water if New Mexico State was 25-5 or something, but when a coach of a losing team this late in the season throws out that excuse, it is just stupid.

Menzies probably has one more season before he gets the axe. A losing season next year will end his time there.

The limitation of tyrants is the endurance of those they oppose. – Frederick Douglass

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » March 3rd, 2011, 4:48 pm

justintime wrote:He's not calling you old, he's calling you senior-laden. That was my original interpretation.
Just bumping your comment out there again. I think justin might have a point.

TrueBigBlue

Post by TrueBigBlue » March 3rd, 2011, 4:51 pm

USUinventedswagger wrote:Yeah maybe that argument would hold water if New Mexico State was 25-5 or something, but when a coach of a losing team this late in the season throws out that excuse, it is just stupid.

Menzies probably has one more season before he gets the axe. A losing season next year will end his time there.
NOOO! I love watching him spazz during our games

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 3rd, 2011, 5:20 pm

Menzies may have meant senior-laden, but we've heard this "older guy" stuff so much over the years that we immediately take it that way. As it is, if it was so great to have these old players why is Stew getting away from it. He's got a few missionaries going in the next recruiting groups, but mainly we're recruiting out of state jucos. Next year we may only have one return missionary. The recruiting style that Menzies may want to copy Stew with is to focus on high character guys that will run through a brick wall for you and also keep their noses clean.

TrueBigBlue

Post by TrueBigBlue » March 3rd, 2011, 5:26 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:Menzies may have meant senior-laden, but we've heard this "older guy" stuff so much over the years that we immediately take it that way. As it is, if it was so great to have these old players why is Stew getting away from it. He's got a few missionaries going in the next recruiting groups, but mainly we're recruiting out of state jucos. Next year we may only have one return missionary. The recruiting style that Menzies may want to copy Stew with is to focus on high character guys that will run through a brick wall for you and also keep their noses clean.
and he may want to copy the coaching style of not being an idiot and actually understanding the game of basketball, clock management, etc.

AggieHead

Post by AggieHead » March 3rd, 2011, 5:37 pm

justintime wrote:He's not calling you old, he's calling you senior-laden. That was my original interpretation.

It seems if that is what he meant he would have said "senior laden" instead of old. Its no coincidence that he used the term old instead of senior laden.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 3rd, 2011, 5:45 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:Menzies may have meant senior-laden, but we've heard this "older guy" stuff so much over the years that we immediately take it that way. As it is, if it was so great to have these old players why is Stew getting away from it. He's got a few missionaries going in the next recruiting groups, but mainly we're recruiting out of state jucos. Next year we may only have one return missionary. The recruiting style that Menzies may want to copy Stew with is to focus on high character guys that will run through a brick wall for you and also keep their noses clean.
Three:
Brady Jardine
Jordan Stone
Danny Berger

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 3rd, 2011, 5:46 pm

One that plays. Sorry. I would imagine Stone and Berger will redshirt right?

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » March 3rd, 2011, 6:53 pm

Considering the circumstances (a close home loss that affects NMSU's seeding in the upcoming WAC tourney), Menzie's comment doesn't bother me at all. NMSU has some good talent and Gillenwater is a great player. I'm glad we have the experience of 6 seniors that are playing pretty well right now. We were lucky to escape with a win. Three more wins and perhaps USU won't be an underdog seed in the 1st round.

P.S. As far as NMSU fans go, I find justintime's posts to be well thought out and classy.

Locked Previous topicNext topic