Following Scott Garrard in NCAA Mock Tourney Selection

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
nastyag
Has thanked: 0

Following Scott Garrard in NCAA Mock Tourney Selection

Post by nastyag » February 18th, 2011, 8:33 am

Hey if anyone cares about the tourney selection and the process, this is a good read on Scott Garrard's blog:
http://1320kfan.com/index.php/story/rea ... inar_day_1
The interesting part to me was this discussion about proving that you can't schedule "big time" schools.
At the end of Day 1, USU had not yet made the tournament, and we haven’t had the debate on them yet. Most people were waiting to see what would happen to them in the simulated tournament. As we closed for the day, it was announced that they had lost to New Mexico State, so the debate will begin first thing in the morning.
We talked about Utah State’s issue of teams not willing to play them. Greg Shaheen of the NCAA said that they take that under consideration, but they want proof that you’re trying to schedule big name opponents. They want any kind of documentation that you tried (i.e. emails from schools turning you down). They didn’t say this specifically about USU, but it seemed implied that they believed that some schools claim they can’t schedule difficult opponents, but haven’t been able to prove it.
If they want documentation the coaching staff needs to get those emails and any other documentation to Scott Barnes ASAP and prove it instead of just talking about it.

Donman

Re: Following Scott Garrard in NCAA Mock Tourney Selection

Post by Donman » February 18th, 2011, 8:42 am

Perhaps someone should email Scott Barnes and Stew and let them know. (Sarcasm)

If they haven't done this (and I remember someone writing in the past how they prepared a book for tournament selection) then Stew and Scott shouldn't be employed but be working clean up at McDonalds.

Scotty G has been tweeting about it. Just tweeted that USU was in. National guys Seth Davis and Joe Lunardi were pushing hard for the Aggies.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 18th, 2011, 8:50 am

Donman wrote:Perhaps someone should email Scott Barnes and Stew and let them know. (Sarcasm)

If they haven't done this (and I remember someone writing in the past how they prepared a book for tournament selection) then Stew and Scott shouldn't be employed but be working clean up at McDonalds.

Scotty G has been tweeting about it. Just tweeted that USU was in. National guys Seth Davis and Joe Lunardi were pushing hard for the Aggies.
Seth Davis has been voting for the Aggies in the AP Poll for several weeks now.

Donman

Post by Donman » February 18th, 2011, 8:56 am

Apologize if my first post on thread sounded mean. I just get tired of people assuming that Scott Barnes and Stew are idiots. We have good leadership now. In the past that may have been the case, of course we didn't have to worry about the NCAA tournament in those days.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 18th, 2011, 8:57 am

Let's put some stuff together from this board and the old board and send to the committee for documentation. I think that would suffice right?

Donman

Post by Donman » February 18th, 2011, 8:59 am

Gamesfaqs should lead the effort. He is our institutional memory.

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » February 18th, 2011, 9:22 am

-Obviously, Scotty G wasn't repesenting Barnes in the mock committee, or else he wouldn't have been able to take part in the debate about USU in the first place. Makes me wonder who was representing SB in that room.

-Seems like Seth Davis is part of the mock committee every year they do this. lol

-Since they voted USU in, they must have USU beating SMC in the BB... You would think so, anyway.

-If we need to put together documentation of teams not wanting to schedule USU, I'm pretty sure it can only be from the most recent off-season, and not from seasons past, yes? The selection committee would only care as to why the schedule THIS season is weak.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

Donman

Post by Donman » February 18th, 2011, 9:29 am

AGGZILLA wrote:-Obviously, Scotty G wasn't repesenting Barnes in the mock committee, or else he wouldn't have been able to take part in the debate about USU in the first place. Makes me wonder who was representing SB in that room.

-Seems like Seth Davis is part of the mock committee every year they do this. lol

-Since they voted USU in, they must have USU beating SMC in the BB... You would think so, anyway.

-If we need to put together documentation of teams not wanting to schedule USU, I'm pretty sure it can only be from the most recent off-season, and not from seasons past, yes? The selection committee would only care as to why the schedule THIS season is weak.
I actually think they had us losing to St. Mary's. ST. Mary's got in before we did. If we beat them; I don't think that would be the case.

Scotty G is actually Doug Fullerton (Big Sky Commissioner?) on the committee.

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » February 18th, 2011, 9:58 am

Fullerton... now there's a guy that we can hopefully count on on the room when they debate USU and SB has to go out. One that is also very familiar with USU. Aren't the Big Sky offices based out of Ogden?? Which would probably mean that, aside from SB, he knows USU better than anyone else in that room.

SMC got in before USU, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they beat USU in the BB. SMC was already ahead of USU in the at-large pecking order and I'm sure they had SMC beating Gonzaga and Portland and winning the WCC outright. I'm wondering who they had winning the WCCT?

Maybe someone could tweet Scotty G and ask if they had USU beating SMC in the BB??

Talk about a weak bubble-- how in the world is Mississippi State even getting consideration for a bid?? Memphis, Minnesota, and Georgia are in.... Butler and Gonzaga among that last four in. WOW. So does that mean that the WCC got three teams in? Was Colorado State left out even though they beat SDSU in the MWCT?

- Dallin

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » February 18th, 2011, 12:36 pm

Start adding the Utes to that 'documentation'.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » February 18th, 2011, 12:40 pm

other twitter feeds from those participating in the mock selection-

http://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops
http://twitter.com/aglock
http://twitter.com/ESPNLunardi

- Dallin

aggies1
Pick'em Champ - '20 BB Predict The Score & '20 FB Bowl

Post by aggies1 » February 18th, 2011, 1:04 pm

So the Mock Tourney ended up having us as a #10 seed facing West Virginia in Denver. If we win, we get BYU assuming they win their first round game. I would take that scenario any day of the week!

shelbjstew

Post by shelbjstew » February 18th, 2011, 1:25 pm

Man, I would love a BYU rematch! I think our Utah County boys would love a second chance to even the score against BYU's Utah County kids.
Last edited by shelbjstew on February 18th, 2011, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 18th, 2011, 1:49 pm

shelbjstew wrote:Man, I would love a BYU rematch! I think our Utah County boys would love a second chance to even the score about BYU's Utah County kids.
I don't think that would be evening the score. I'd take an NCAA tourney win over BYU over beating them in Provo any day. It would mean that we got further in the tournament than them and they couldn't say that it's because we weren't matched up against the same caliber opponent.

shelbjstew

Post by shelbjstew » February 18th, 2011, 2:49 pm

You are correct. It would be more than evening the score in terms of the big picture, however, it would make the season series 1-1, thus evening out the score. I would love to be heading to the sweet 16 with a victory over BYU. How sweet it would be....

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 18th, 2011, 3:22 pm

aggies1 wrote:So the Mock Tourney ended up having us as a #10 seed facing West Virginia in Denver. If we win, we get BYU assuming they win their first round game. I would take that scenario any day of the week!
I'm surprised they set it up that way. The Official Principles and Procedures state the following:

Additional Considerations
1. If possible, rematches of regular-season
games should be avoided in the second
and third rounds.

Then again... They also say this:

2. If possible, rematches of previous years’
tournament games should be avoided
in the second and third rounds.

They didn't follow this one a couple years ago putting BYU against Texas A&M for the 2nd straight year.

The additional considerations seem to be afterthought recommendations if they are convenient.... But it should still make the likelihood of meeting BYU in the 1st or 2nd game lower than most other opponents.

BigVBAg

Post by BigVBAg » February 18th, 2011, 3:33 pm

treesap32 wrote:The additional considerations seem to be afterthought recommendations if they are convenient.... But it should still make the likelihood of meeting BYU in the 1st or 2nd game lower than most other opponents.
I think that's probably the case for anyone except BYU because it seems that the "No Sunday Games" limitation probably trumps all.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 18th, 2011, 3:47 pm

BigVBAg wrote:
treesap32 wrote:The additional considerations seem to be afterthought recommendations if they are convenient.... But it should still make the likelihood of meeting BYU in the 1st or 2nd game lower than most other opponents.
I think that's probably the case for anyone except BYU because it seems that the "No Sunday Games" limitation probably trumps all.
Very good point. And that limits their flexibility quite a bit.

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » February 18th, 2011, 3:49 pm

BigVBAg wrote:

Locked Previous topicNext topic