Our Women's Basketball Team is Broken

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
stang

Our Women's Basketball Team is Broken

Post by stang » January 20th, 2022, 11:07 am

I'm going to preface this thread by saying that if you don't care about this topic, please move along to the next.

You guys, I don't know if you've watched our women's basketball team at all recently, but they are so, so bad.

However bad you think they are, they're likely worse. I had hope that Coach Ard could turn things around, but things have only gotten worse. At least under the Finkbeiners they would pull an upset win and be competitive every now and then. This team though has firmly established itself as the laughing stock of the league, and it's incredibly disappointing to me as someone who is a huge fan of women's basketball and who would love to give more support to our women's program.

If you haven't followed, they pulled off a few wins over poor teams in non-conference play, and have since lost 9-straight and are 0-7 in MW play, every single one of those losses coming by double-digits. This, after doing the same thing last season then closing the year on a 16-game losing streak. Perhaps more concerning is the trend of players and coaches quitting mid-season and leaving in bitter ways.

This program simply has nothing going for it, and I'm really sick of USU women's hoops being the embarrassment of the conference, which is a very, very poor WBB conference.

End of rant.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Re: Our Women's Basketball Team is Broken

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 20th, 2022, 11:09 am

They were decent under Pebley, but haven't gotten back to that level since she went to Fresno.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 20th, 2022, 11:11 am

stang wrote:
January 20th, 2022, 11:07 am
I'm going to preface this thread by saying that if you don't care about this topic, please move along to the next.

You guys, I don't know if you've watched our women's basketball team at all recently, but they are so, so bad.

However bad you think they are, they're likely worse. I had hope that Coach Ard could turn things around, but things have only gotten worse. At least under the Finkbeiners they would pull an upset win and be competitive every now and then. This team though has firmly established itself as the laughing stock of the league, and it's incredibly disappointing to me as someone who is a huge fan of women's basketball and who would love to give more support to our women's program.

If you haven't followed, they pulled off a few wins over poor teams in non-conference play, and have since lost 9-straight and are 0-7 in MW play, every single one of those losses coming by double-digits. This, after doing the same thing last season then closing the year on a 16-game losing streak. Perhaps more concerning is the trend of players and coaches quitting mid-season and leaving in bitter ways.

This program simply has nothing going for it, and I'm really sick of USU women's hoops being the embarrassment of the conference, which is a very, very poor WBB conference.

End of rant.
I don't follow them women's basketball closely, but will watch the tweets and some of the highlights from time to time. Is Ard the problem or just not enough good players? Ard is pretty active on twitter trying to put a positive spin on things, but not sure she has the capacity to get it turned around.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 20th, 2022, 11:13 am

I mean who would have thought that hiring an assistant coach, from a school with a losing record, in a smaller conference was a bad idea?

It was a head scratcher from the beginning. She is also the queen of moral victory. My favorite was after the byu loss she tweeted that after the team got down by 20 in the first, they outplayed byu. You know because byu had already put in their bench.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
ViAggie

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 20th, 2022, 11:15 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 20th, 2022, 11:11 am
stang wrote:

End of rant.
I don't follow them women's basketball closely, but will watch the tweets and some of the highlights from time to time. Is Ard the problem or just not enough good players? Ard is pretty active on twitter trying to put a positive spin on things, but not sure she has the capacity to get it turned around.
I mean she has been around longer tham Odom and people are blaming Him for not bringing in good enough players...

stang

Post by stang » January 20th, 2022, 11:17 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
January 20th, 2022, 11:13 am
I mean who would have thought that hiring an assistant coach, from a school with a losing record, in a smaller conference was a bad idea?

It was a head scratcher from the beginning. She is also the queen of moral victory. My favorite was after the byu loss she tweeted that after the team got down by 20 in the first, they outplayed byu. You know because byu had already put in their bench.
I totally agree. I had hope because Hartwell seems to find those hidden gems, but it's clear at this point that it was just a favor to an old friend.

I will say, I do appreciate the positivity she has on Twitter, and I think that she's worked really hard to raise interest and support in the program, but obviously that means nothing if it's not paired with wins.

stang

Post by stang » January 20th, 2022, 11:21 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 20th, 2022, 11:11 am
stang wrote:

End of rant.
She brought in six D1 transfers over the offseason who have come in and played the majority of the minutes this season (five of them have been regular starters), and the product is almost exactly the same as it was before.

I know that it's only been a year and half, and the program she took over wasn't exactly UConn. But I'm just looking for any signs of positivity or progress and have only seen the team get consistently worse.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 20th, 2022, 11:34 am

We need to get women's basketball strong again as it will be a major factor, if not the only factor, in our bid for a P5 conference invite.

Calm down, I'm joking. When is coach's contract up? Unfortunately, women's basketball can't justify a buyout for a coach. Hopefully Hartwell has better luck with the next coach.

I agree though that at least Ard has a good twitter presence and seems to be a good representative for the university, outside of the W/L column.

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » January 20th, 2022, 11:36 am

I know she's only in her second year but it can't be a good sign that her bio is 25 paragraphs long and only one of them references the team's on-court performance during her tenure.

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » January 20th, 2022, 12:07 pm

Hopefully they can turn it around, I don’t see any reason why the men’s and women’s can’t be in upper echelon of the MWC year in and year out.

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » January 20th, 2022, 12:19 pm

Having a good presence on Twitter might matter to recruits that care about that sort of thing, but as a fan I couldn’t care less. Soon coaches will be recording Tik Tok’s as recruiting tools (I say only half jokingly).

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 20th, 2022, 1:17 pm

stang wrote:

End of rant.
I don't follow too closely, could you detail what players and coaches have bailed mid-season and why they are bitter?

stang

Post by stang » January 20th, 2022, 1:41 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 20th, 2022, 1:17 pm
stang wrote:

End of rant.
I don't follow too closely, could you detail what players and coaches have bailed mid-season and why they are bitter?
Last year, the team's leading scorer and overall best player (Bre Mathews) mysteriously vanished off the team about a month into the season along with another player. Right after the season ended, three more players and two coaches were immediately purged from the roster. So they promote the old DOBO to assistant coach and hire a new one in the offseason, and she didn't even make it a few months. She quit just two days before the season. Then a couple of weeks ago, Faith Brantley, a consistent two-year starter, quit the team as well.

I'm sure each of those cases are different, but I do know for a fact that there is bad blood between the current coaching staff and each of those 3 former coaches. Players come and go all the time in modern college basketball, but typically not right in the middle of a season.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 20th, 2022, 1:47 pm

stang wrote:
January 20th, 2022, 1:41 pm
aggies22 wrote:
stang wrote:

End of rant.
Last year, the team's leading scorer and overall best player (Bre Mathews) mysteriously vanished off the team about a month into the season along with another player. Right after the season ended, three more players and two coaches were immediately purged from the roster. So they promote the old DOBO to assistant coach and hire a new one in the offseason, and she didn't even make it a few months. She quit just two days before the season. Then a couple of weeks ago, Faith Brantley, a consistent two-year starter, quit the team as well.

I'm sure each of those cases are different, but I do know for a fact that there is bad blood between the current coaching staff and each of those 3 former coaches. Players come and go all the time in modern college basketball, but typically not right in the middle of a season.
I agree. Not a good look right now. Thanks my Aggie brother.

coolag

Post by coolag » January 20th, 2022, 4:57 pm

Impossible. Saint Hartwell would never make a bad hire.....cough cough......Coach Prozac 2.0.

Relax I'm just kidding.......but seriously.

Regulator of Class

Chatman

Post by Chatman » January 20th, 2022, 6:35 pm

Hire a coach from the inter mountain west, recruit the best girls from Utah and Idaho to make up the majority of the roster, mix in a few transfers and out of state/area girls and you will have a good formula for a competitive and fun girls team the community can support. That’s all it needs to be really.

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » January 20th, 2022, 7:03 pm

stang wrote:
January 20th, 2022, 1:41 pm
aggies22 wrote:
stang wrote:

End of rant.

And has been pointed out in the thread the coaching staff brought in a ton of transfers of which 3 are one and done I believe and there is no real production from hardly any younger players so not sure how things get better next year

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 21st, 2022, 6:27 am

They looked pretty good to start the season. But in recent games they've been really really bad. No defense, no rebounding, not much of a recognizable offense, not utilizing their best players. It all points back to poor coaching. And it does pain me to say that because I like Kayla Ard and everything she's done to bring excitement to the program. But man... it's bad.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
AgMac

AgMac

Post by AgMac » January 21st, 2022, 10:28 am

treesap32 wrote:
January 21st, 2022, 6:27 am
They looked pretty good to start the season. But in recent games they've been really really bad. No defense, no rebounding, not much of a recognizable offense, not utilizing their best players. It all points back to poor coaching. And it does pain me to say that because I like Kayla Ard and everything she's done to bring excitement to the program. But man... it's bad.
I believe this is a common sentiment. Coach Ard seems very likeable from a casual fan perspective, but it's hard to argue with the actual product on the court. That said, I'm not losing a ton of sleep about being dead last in women's basketball.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » January 21st, 2022, 2:28 pm

AgMac wrote:
January 21st, 2022, 10:28 am
treesap32 wrote:
I believe this is a common sentiment. Coach Ard seems very likeable from a casual fan perspective, but it's hard to argue with the actual product on the court. That said, I'm not losing a ton of sleep about being dead last in women's basketball.
An actual snippet from a conversation that I had a few weeks ago with Mrs. 918AGG:

Mrs. 918AGG: Hey, you watch a lot of sports, how come you don't watch more women's sports?
918AGG: I watch some women's sports, and I suppose that I should watch more, but the very general rule is that women don't watch sports and men don't like to watch women play sports.
Mrs. 918AGG: You don't watch women play sports? Isn't that sexist?
918AGG: I watch everyone play sports, and I guarantee that I've watched more women play sports over my lifetime than you have. How much women's soccer or women's basketball have you watched since we've been married (15-years)?
Mrs. 918AGG: :crickets: [walks away]
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post (total 3):
aggies22FloridaAggie13AgMac

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 21st, 2022, 3:48 pm

Hopefully our recent success in FB can help us recruit better.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » January 21st, 2022, 4:06 pm

There's a coach at Idaho State who has kicked USU's butt a few times and won some championships at ISU. Why not give him a look?

stang

Post by stang » January 21st, 2022, 8:16 pm

Aggieiester wrote:There's a coach at Idaho State who has kicked USU's butt a few times and won some championships at ISU. Why not give him a look?
When USU hired Finkbeiner a while back, he was one of the other leading candidates. He’s made several NCAA tournaments there and has been infinitely better than either of USU’s coaches since that decision.

stang

Post by stang » January 21st, 2022, 8:17 pm

918AGG wrote:
AgMac wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
An actual snippet from a conversation that I had a few weeks ago with Mrs. 918AGG:

Mrs. 918AGG: Hey, you watch a lot of sports, how come you don't watch more women's sports?
918AGG: I watch some women's sports, and I suppose that I should watch more, but the very general rule is that women don't watch sports and men don't like to watch women play sports.
918AGG: I watch everyone play sports, and I guarantee that I've watched more women play sports over my lifetime than you have. How much women's soccer or women's basketball have you watched since we've been married (15-years)?
Hey guys, let’s have a contest to see who cares the very LEAST about women’s sports!
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13918AGG

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » January 21st, 2022, 8:23 pm

I think they could get decent crowds out to the women's ball games if they were any good.

I went to exactly the same number of usu women's basketball games as a student as i did men's basketball games as a student at Washington State.

Why? Because both teams were awful so I didn't care.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 21st, 2022, 9:59 pm

918AGG wrote:
January 21st, 2022, 2:28 pm
AgMac wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

Before COVID, I used to watch the Lingerie Football League. I think that checked a few boxes for me, right?

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 21st, 2022, 10:01 pm

stang wrote:
January 21st, 2022, 8:17 pm
918AGG wrote:
AgMac wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

Hey guys, let’s have a contest to see who cares the very LEAST about women’s sports!
Finally! A contest I can win!
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
918AGG

VegasBornAggie

Post by VegasBornAggie » January 22nd, 2022, 4:21 pm

What a win today from Women’s Basketball! They looked like a completely different team today compared to the last few games. Wyoming had no answer for them whatsoever! Easily the best basketball I’ve seen them play all year!
These users thanked the author VegasBornAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

72AgGrad
RIP

Post by 72AgGrad » January 22nd, 2022, 4:31 pm

VegasBornAggie wrote:
January 22nd, 2022, 4:21 pm
What a win today from Women’s Basketball! They looked like a completely different team today compared to the last few games. Wyoming had no answer for them whatsoever! Easily the best basketball I’ve seen them play all year!
Well, an unfair question: What do you think got them going?

I confess I am not a huge fan of womens' b-ball (more so for soccer) but I recall when Pebley was brought in to resurrect the sport it garnered national attention for USU, and I was glad to see it included in the program, and I do hope it can be turned around.

stang

Post by stang » January 22nd, 2022, 4:31 pm

VegasBornAggie wrote:What a win today from Women’s Basketball! They looked like a completely different team today compared to the last few games. Wyoming had no answer for them whatsoever! Easily the best basketball I’ve seen them play all year!
I watched a good bit of today’s game and I was impressed as well! Wyoming isn’t very good this year, but they always seem to have our number in wbb. Hopefully they can carry some of that momentum forward.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » January 24th, 2022, 9:26 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
January 21st, 2022, 10:01 pm
stang wrote:
January 21st, 2022, 8:17 pm
918AGG wrote:
AgMac wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

Finally! A contest I can win!
I was actually watching USU Womens Soccer on YouTube at the time. It was on a Sunday, and I was one of TWO (2) viewers on YouTube.
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13AgMac

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » January 24th, 2022, 4:05 pm

VegasBornAggie wrote:What a win today from Women’s Basketball! They looked like a completely different team today compared to the last few games. Wyoming had no answer for them whatsoever! Easily the best basketball I’ve seen them play all year!
Stang = Master Motivator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

AgMac

Post by AgMac » January 24th, 2022, 5:51 pm

918AGG wrote:
January 24th, 2022, 9:26 am
I was actually watching USU Womens Soccer on YouTube at the time. It was on a Sunday, and I was one of TWO (2) viewers on YouTube.
And I watched the entire USU gymnastics meet against Air Force last week!
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post:
918AGG

Turtle

Post by Turtle » January 25th, 2022, 12:18 am

Women's gymnastics is KILLING IT and deserves everyone's major support! Go follow their pages and tune in to some meets!
These users thanked the author Turtle for the post:
sam tingey

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » January 25th, 2022, 8:43 am

Turtle wrote:
January 25th, 2022, 12:18 am
Women's gymnastics is KILLING IT and deserves everyone's major support! Go follow their pages and tune in to some meets!
Where is the best place to watch USU Gymnastics? I'm guessing the Mountain West app?

Locked Previous topicNext topic