Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 4118
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 1458 times

Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2021, 8:04 am

https://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?/top ... /#comments

If 4 teams were to go to the AAC as the Boise insider suggests, I hope one of them is BYU, so the other two good WCC schools are ripe to pluck.

The play if something like this happens, is to go “all in” on keeping the conference a solid basketball conference. If BYU leaves the WCC, offer SMC and Gonzaga olympic sports offers to join the MW.

I don’t see any schools in the MW geographic footprint that help the MW for football if something like this were to happen.



User avatar
flying_scotsman2.0
Posts: 1408
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm
Location: The Mighty City-State of Roy, Utah
Has thanked: 1274 times
Been thanked: 536 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » May 6th, 2021, 8:23 am

Yeah, I don't think it happens. The AAC has 12 teams right now. Adding 4 more would make it almost too many teams, and the travel would still suck for the western teams. Now if the MW and AAC were to affiliate somehow, get required interconference games and keep two sub conferences with a championship game, that would probably be a strong enough case to be considered a P6 conference, or whatever. It would be interesting, at least. Basically a combination of the two top G5 conferences.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 4118
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 1458 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2021, 8:26 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 8:23 am
Yeah, I don't think it happens. The AAC has 12 teams right now. Adding 4 more would make it almost too many teams, and the travel would still suck for the western teams. Now if the MW and AAC were to affiliate somehow, get required interconference games and keep two sub conferences with a championship game, that would probably be a strong enough case to be considered a P6 conference, or whatever. It would be interesting, at least. Basically a combination of the two top G5 conferences.
You can make a case that the AAC is a slight upgrade to the MW, but it’s not a clear upgrade, IMO. It makes no sense whatsoever if Boise and SDSU have to park their oly sports in the Big West. SDSU would be ruining their basketball program in that scenario.

Who knows?



LarryTheAggie
Posts: 607
Joined: July 4th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Location: Washington DC
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 269 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by LarryTheAggie » May 6th, 2021, 8:35 am

The only way this really makes sense is to start a whole new conference where Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, UCF and maybe 2 or 3 other teams leave the AAC, while Boise, SDSU and maybe 2 or 3 teams leave the MWC and take BYU too. Then the add 3 or 4 teams from other G5 school (maybe App State, LA Tech, or UTSA).

I could see that being in the works, I doubt the AAC goes to 16.



slcagg
Posts: 7576
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 1810 times
Been thanked: 1380 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by slcagg » May 6th, 2021, 8:45 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 8:26 am
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 8:23 am
Yeah, I don't think it happens. The AAC has 12 teams right now. Adding 4 more would make it almost too many teams, and the travel would still suck for the western teams. Now if the MW and AAC were to affiliate somehow, get required interconference games and keep two sub conferences with a championship game, that would probably be a strong enough case to be considered a P6 conference, or whatever. It would be interesting, at least. Basically a combination of the two top G5 conferences.
You can make a case that the AAC is a slight upgrade to the MW, but it’s not a clear upgrade, IMO. It makes no sense whatsoever if Boise and SDSU have to park their oly sports in the Big West. SDSU would be ruining their basketball program in that scenario.

Who knows?
I agree that it’s not much different now. But if they take Boise and SDSU the it clearly becomes the top conference. This is why I wish the mwc would at least be having some discussions on adding Houston and BYU and it becomes the clear top g5. BYU is the best g5 school from a support standpoint and we have it in our geological footprint (flame away at me). We should be proactive in that regard.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 4118
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 1458 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2021, 8:46 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 8:35 am
The only way this really makes sense is to start a whole new conference where Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, UCF and maybe 2 or 3 other teams leave the AAC, while Boise, SDSU and maybe 2 or 3 teams leave the MWC and take BYU too. Then the add 3 or 4 teams from other G5 school (maybe App State, LA Tech, or UTSA).

I could see that being in the works, I doubt the AAC goes to 16.
What in the hell has UTSA done other than be in San Antonio to even be in this conversation?

Whenever it is floated, I absolutely hate the idea of being in a conference with Texas St, UTSA, UTA, etc. Schools with zero geographic connection to us and no history, all in the hope of getting their TV markets (which of course assumes that anyone in those areas actually cares about UTSA, UTA, or Texas St.).

Would much rather be in the best regional conference possible. If three or four MW members leave, my first choice would be to focus on strengthening basketball with GU and SMC. If that didn’t work, I’d build a cohesive regional conference with like schools. I think that means encouraging Montana and Montana St to make the jump up, and then adding New Mexico’s natural travel. I miss our games with New Mexico’s natural travel partner. Those games in the Spectrum against NMSU in the 2019-2012 timeframe defined my fanhood.

It would also be nice to have an automatic penciled in conference win in football every year.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on May 6th, 2021, 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggieShowMeAggie



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 7884
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 1134 times
Been thanked: 462 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 6th, 2021, 8:47 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 8:35 am
The only way this really makes sense is to start a whole new conference where Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, UCF and maybe 2 or 3 other teams leave the AAC, while Boise, SDSU and maybe 2 or 3 teams leave the MWC and take BYU too. Then the add 3 or 4 teams from other G5 school (maybe App State, LA Tech, or UTSA).

I could see that being in the works, I doubt the AAC goes to 16.
Is there still that rule that new conferences can't get an NCAA Tourney bid? I'm sure that rule has stopped quite a few talks before that started.


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 4118
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 1458 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2021, 8:48 am

slcagg wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 8:45 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 8:26 am
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 8:23 am
Yeah, I don't think it happens. The AAC has 12 teams right now. Adding 4 more would make it almost too many teams, and the travel would still suck for the western teams. Now if the MW and AAC were to affiliate somehow, get required interconference games and keep two sub conferences with a championship game, that would probably be a strong enough case to be considered a P6 conference, or whatever. It would be interesting, at least. Basically a combination of the two top G5 conferences.
You can make a case that the AAC is a slight upgrade to the MW, but it’s not a clear upgrade, IMO. It makes no sense whatsoever if Boise and SDSU have to park their oly sports in the Big West. SDSU would be ruining their basketball program in that scenario.

Who knows?
I agree that it’s not much different now. But if they take Boise and SDSU the it clearly becomes the top conference. This is why I wish the mwc would at least be having some discussions on adding Houston and BYU and it becomes the clear top g5. BYU is the best g5 school from a support standpoint and we have it in our geological footprint (flame away at me). We should be proactive in that regard.
I would love to be in a conference with BYU, because they are a solid athletic program that would help the conference’s perception, but they will never come back.



LarryTheAggie
Posts: 607
Joined: July 4th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Location: Washington DC
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 269 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by LarryTheAggie » May 6th, 2021, 9:24 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 8:46 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 8:35 am
The only way this really makes sense is to start a whole new conference where Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, UCF and maybe 2 or 3 other teams leave the AAC, while Boise, SDSU and maybe 2 or 3 teams leave the MWC and take BYU too. Then the add 3 or 4 teams from other G5 school (maybe App State, LA Tech, or UTSA).

I could see that being in the works, I doubt the AAC goes to 16.
What in the hell has UTSA done other than be in San Antonio to even be in this conversation?

Whenever it is floated, I absolutely hate the idea of being in a conference with Texas St, UTSA, UTA, etc. Schools with zero geographic connection to us and no history, all in the hope of getting their TV markets (which of course assumes that anyone in those areas actually cares about UTSA, UTA, or Texas St.).

Would much rather be in the best regional conference possible. If three or four MW members leave, my first choice would be to focus on strengthening basketball with GU and SMC. If that didn’t work, I’d build a cohesive regional conference with like schools. I think that means encouraging Montana and Montana St to make the jump up, and then adding New Mexico’s natural travel. I miss our games with New Mexico’s natural travel partner. Those games in the Spectrum against NMSU in the 2019-2012 timeframe defined my fanhood.

It would also be nice to have an automatic penciled in conference win in football every year.
I totally agree, I was just throwing names out that people say.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 4118
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 1458 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2021, 9:31 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 9:24 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 8:46 am
LarryTheAggie wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 8:35 am
The only way this really makes sense is to start a whole new conference where Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, UCF and maybe 2 or 3 other teams leave the AAC, while Boise, SDSU and maybe 2 or 3 teams leave the MWC and take BYU too. Then the add 3 or 4 teams from other G5 school (maybe App State, LA Tech, or UTSA).

I could see that being in the works, I doubt the AAC goes to 16.
What in the hell has UTSA done other than be in San Antonio to even be in this conversation?

Whenever it is floated, I absolutely hate the idea of being in a conference with Texas St, UTSA, UTA, etc. Schools with zero geographic connection to us and no history, all in the hope of getting their TV markets (which of course assumes that anyone in those areas actually cares about UTSA, UTA, or Texas St.).

Would much rather be in the best regional conference possible. If three or four MW members leave, my first choice would be to focus on strengthening basketball with GU and SMC. If that didn’t work, I’d build a cohesive regional conference with like schools. I think that means encouraging Montana and Montana St to make the jump up, and then adding New Mexico’s natural travel. I miss our games with New Mexico’s natural travel partner. Those games in the Spectrum against NMSU in the 2019-2012 timeframe defined my fanhood.

It would also be nice to have an automatic penciled in conference win in football every year.
I totally agree, I was just throwing names out that people say.
I agree with you too. The only way it makes sense is a sort of “let’s take the best teams from both conferences” approach. Geographically, none of it makes any sense.

I would be very much in favor of a sort of scheduling agreement with the AAC for all sports.

I know football drives the bus, but I don’t know how much longer that will be the case. I am not sure that football is a sport that will be what it is now in 25-30 years with all the CTE concerns associated with it.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
AggieBlues



ereksonaggie
Posts: 136
Joined: November 22nd, 2011, 7:56 pm
Has thanked: 69 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by ereksonaggie » May 6th, 2021, 9:47 am

Nobody down here in Texas cares about UTSA, UTA, or Texas St.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 11432
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 7420 times
Been thanked: 5093 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by aggies22 » May 6th, 2021, 9:56 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 8:04 am
https://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?/top ... /#comments

If 4 teams were to go to the AAC as the Boise insider suggests, I hope one of them is BYU, so the other two good WCC schools are ripe to pluck.

The play if something like this happens, is to go “all in” on keeping the conference a solid basketball conference. If BYU leaves the WCC, offer SMC and Gonzaga olympic sports offers to join the MW.

I don’t see any schools in the MW geographic footprint that help the MW for football if something like this were to happen.
I don't think the dude that started this rumor is even a Boise State insider, I think he's just some random dude.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
OrangeCountyAggieReal Life Aggiebluegrouse



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 846
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 203 times
Been thanked: 298 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 6th, 2021, 11:28 am

Bosie whining and threatening to leave never really bothers me, and San Diego State is too far west for the AAC to be a real possibility IMO. Likelier (although still slim) would be for SDSU and UNLV to get an invite to the Pac-12 based on footprint and UNLV's new facilities.

What does give me mild anxiety though is the thought that YBU might one day give up on their hopeless quest of getting a P5 invite and try (once again) to create their own new conference. Under that scenario, you just know USU would somehow get screwed.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
JSHarvey



tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG
Posts: 550
Joined: December 17th, 2013, 8:17 am
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by tipitup » May 6th, 2021, 11:39 am

isn't this the time of the year for the annual "Boise is pursuing", new conference, creating new conference, new tv deal, new coach, new "insert anything you want here". kinda gets boring and predictable and not worth our time, but we sure do like to create threads about it, and read them, and comment on them!!
These users thanked the author tipitup for the post:
USU78



User avatar
Mr. Sneelock
Posts: 6270
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:09 am
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 415 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by Mr. Sneelock » May 6th, 2021, 12:35 pm

Boise should just stop threatening to leave, and leave already. I am sick and tired of them being too big for their britches and demanding special treatment. Don't let the door hit ya. Who needs friends who are constantly looking to ditch you for the more popular kids?

As for BYU, we should never, ever get into bed with that snake.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 4):
ViAggieaggies22vegasaggieAggieFBObsession


Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5528
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 613 times
Been thanked: 1167 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 6th, 2021, 12:36 pm

tipitup wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 11:39 am
isn't this the time of the year for the annual "Boise is pursuing", new conference, creating new conference, new tv deal, new coach, new "insert anything you want here". kinda gets boring and predictable and not worth our time, but we sure do like to create threads about it, and read them, and comment on them!!
Yep, every offseason it seems this discussion comes up. At this point, I'm not thinking about it for more than 3 seconds and won't until they actually leave.



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 846
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 203 times
Been thanked: 298 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 6th, 2021, 12:39 pm

It also brings up the annual discussion of how lame our conference commissioner is and how he has done very little to advance the conference in any meaningful way. I wish he'd get off his a** and start focusing on building up the brand and better position the MWC. Mainly, lobby congress, sue or whatever you have to do to get the MWC (and other G5's) equal access to the playoffs and BCS games. Also on my wishlist:

1. Tell Bosie to shut up or shove off.
2. Get us into better bowls - our conference champ plays like the 5th best Pac-12 team? Our second best team goes to the potato bowl? Total clusterfu*k!
3. Get better with football tv time slots - no more late-night winter home games and prime-time matchups being buried on CBS Sports Network.
4. Do better at promoting our top teams during successful football seasons and lobby for them to get into BCS games or other premiere bowl matchups.
5. Be proactive about building the conference (and drop a few universal underperformers). In my ideal scenario, the conference would look something like this:

Western Division:

Hawaii Football / Gonzaga Basketball
SDSU
Fresno
UNLV
Nevada
Bosie

Eastern Division:

Utah State
Air Force
CSU
Houston
Cincinnati
New Mexico
Last edited by OrangeCountyAggie on May 6th, 2021, 12:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 4118
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 1458 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2021, 12:39 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 12:35 pm
Boise should just stop threatening to leave, and leave already. I am sick and tired of them being too big for their britches and demanding special treatment. Don't let the door hit ya. Who needs friends who are constantly looking to ditch you for the more popular kids?

As for BYU, we should never, ever get into bed with that snake.
I know Boise has the $$$. But it’s been 2014 since they’ve done anything of note in the college football world, and their best basketball team ever finished 4th and lost in the first round of the conference tourney.

Don’t bring enough recent value to warrant all the complaining.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
aggies22



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5528
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 613 times
Been thanked: 1167 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 6th, 2021, 12:47 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 12:39 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 12:35 pm
Boise should just stop threatening to leave, and leave already. I am sick and tired of them being too big for their britches and demanding special treatment. Don't let the door hit ya. Who needs friends who are constantly looking to ditch you for the more popular kids?

As for BYU, we should never, ever get into bed with that snake.
I know Boise has the $$$. But it’s been 2014 since they’ve done anything of note in the college football world, and their best basketball team ever finished 4th and lost in the first round of the conference tourney.

Don’t bring enough recent value to warrant all the complaining.
Nope. Bryan Harsin was good there, but they weren't a national brand under Harsin. They were just a standard good MW team, nothing special. They really aren't in a place to make big demands.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 4118
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 1458 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2021, 12:57 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 12:47 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 12:39 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 12:35 pm
Boise should just stop threatening to leave, and leave already. I am sick and tired of them being too big for their britches and demanding special treatment. Don't let the door hit ya. Who needs friends who are constantly looking to ditch you for the more popular kids?

As for BYU, we should never, ever get into bed with that snake.
I know Boise has the $$$. But it’s been 2014 since they’ve done anything of note in the college football world, and their best basketball team ever finished 4th and lost in the first round of the conference tourney.

Don’t bring enough recent value to warrant all the complaining.
Nope. Bryan Harsin was good there, but they weren't a national brand under Harsin. They were just a standard good MW team, nothing special. They really aren't in a place to make big demands.
I would be significantly more sad about losing SDSU if this were true. We have a fun rivalry going in basketball now, and they help keep the MW a strong bball conference.



User avatar
AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff
Posts: 2035
Joined: January 1st, 1997, 12:00 am
Has thanked: 308 times
Been thanked: 284 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by AggiesForever » May 6th, 2021, 1:50 pm

Conference realignments are not basketball driven. They are football driven and, as much as Boise State keeps hoping if they keep talking about it, that it will happen, its not going to go the way they think. What is more likely is the continued shrinking of the P5 to a very small group of elite schools, maybe 45.

In that scenario, the rest of the former P5's and G5's will just play "non-arms race" college football from that time forward. We won't have all the TV money and national "semi-professional" glory and all that, but it will be more sustainable and, frankly, for fun.



User avatar
AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff
Posts: 2035
Joined: January 1st, 1997, 12:00 am
Has thanked: 308 times
Been thanked: 284 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by AggiesForever » May 6th, 2021, 2:00 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 11:28 am
Bosie whining and threatening to leave never really bothers me, and San Diego State is too far west for the AAC to be a real possibility IMO. Likelier (although still slim) would be for SDSU and UNLV to get an invite to the Pac-12 based on footprint and UNLV's new facilities.
This is the reason why the PAC12 is becoming more and more irrelevant on the national football schedule. The other P5 conferences do everything based on football. But the PAC12 views itself as the Ivy League West that happens to have football teams. The conference is run by its presidents who are TRULY academics. This is how you got a Larry Scott running the PAC12. Furthermore, they are very snooty about their academic record. They are not going to allow anybody into the PAC12 that they don't think is academically as good as they are, and that automatically cancels BYU, San Diego State and UNLV. The PAC12 schools hate BYU for all the reasons we know, and they are not going to let San Diego State or, heaven forbid, UNLV sully their Ivy League West view of themselves. This is the conference of Cal-Berkeley, Stanford and Washington for heavens sake. ;)

It is more likely that Utah State and Colorado State would join the PAC12 (major research universities both), than any of those others, despite their athletic prowess. Which probably means nothing is going to happen. With the PAC12, athletic prowess isn't what matters at all. Its all about "do you fit in at the country club?"
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyBobWilson



nvspuds
Posts: 1130
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 569 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by nvspuds » May 6th, 2021, 2:22 pm

I have no idea what will happen but as I have said before the MW does not work well. Marriage of Convenience conferences tend to splinter and engage in subterfuge and infighting. I do think the MW will implode soon. Where everyone lands is anyone's guess..

I am no longer much of a college football fan but I have to say the most fun I ever had watching college football was in the Big Sky days.* Games started at 1 pm on Saturdays instead of 9 o'clock on Thursday nights. It wasn't an all out arms race all the time. It was fun games and a chance to play for something.

I am not advocating a drop to FCS for anyone but if and when the MW pulls the pin the remnants can still have fun games and friendly rivalries..We don't have to all be ruthlessly ambitious.

* By the way I was really pissed by the move to the Big Sky because it killed what was a very solid basketball program in the WCAC (WCC).. Too many decisions based upon mid major football just crushes things for me..



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 4118
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 1458 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2021, 2:35 pm

nvspuds wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 2:22 pm
I have no idea what will happen but as I have said before the MW does not work well. Marriage of Convenience conferences tend to splinter and engage in subterfuge and infighting. I do think the MW will implode soon. Where everyone lands is anyone's guess..

I am no longer much of a college football fan but I have to say the most fun I ever had watching college football was in the Big Sky days.* Games started at 1 pm on Saturdays instead of 9 o'clock on Thursday nights. It wasn't an all out arms race all the time. It was fun games and a chance to play for something.

I am not advocating a drop to FCS for anyone but if and when the MW pulls the pin the remnants can still have fun games and friendly rivalries..We don't have to all be ruthlessly ambitious.

* By the way I was really pissed by the move to the Big Sky because it killed what was a very solid basketball program in the WCAC (WCC).. Too many decisions based upon mid major football just crushes things for me..
Whatever happens, I would like to end up in the same conference as Nevada, UNM, CSU, and Wyoming. I see those as our closest peer schools. I’d like to see the Montana schools make a jump, as they are also schools that make some geographic and academic sense being in a conference with USU.

A regional conference with the “greatest hits” from the Big Sky, the MW leftovers, and New Mexico St. might not be the best conference in the world, but it would make for fun regional rivalries and games, would make some geographic sense, and would still be a pretty fun basketball conference.

I hope the MW stays together, because this conference has been great for us, but I won’t cry if we are forced into a more intermountain regional set up either.



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 7884
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 1134 times
Been thanked: 462 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 6th, 2021, 2:44 pm

Back in the WAC to MWC days I got really worked up about conference realignment stuff. Now, I would really like to stay in the MWC with it more or less how it is now.

However, at the end of the day, I just want our team to be able to compete at the level it's at. We have no more chance to win a Natty today than we would at the FCS level. I'm in no way saying we should or would drop to FCS, but that is basically my absolutely worst case scenario. And even if it happened, I could still enjoy Utah State football.


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 4118
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 1458 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2021, 3:00 pm

The UNLV fan on that MWCBoard thread keeps advocating for the MW and AAC to “cut the dead weight” and have the top teams form their own conference. He of course includes UNLV in the new super conference. :lol:

The concept of a UNLV fan calling any MW school “dead weight” is hilarious. UNLV may be the only MW school that hasn’t accomplished anything of note in either main sport since we joined the Mountain West, despite having the built in advantage of being in a destination city with minimal professional sports to compete with. If there is one abject failure in the current MW, it’s UNLV.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
vegasaggie



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5528
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 613 times
Been thanked: 1167 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 6th, 2021, 3:20 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 12:57 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 12:47 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 12:39 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 12:35 pm
Boise should just stop threatening to leave, and leave already. I am sick and tired of them being too big for their britches and demanding special treatment. Don't let the door hit ya. Who needs friends who are constantly looking to ditch you for the more popular kids?

As for BYU, we should never, ever get into bed with that snake.
I know Boise has the $$$. But it’s been 2014 since they’ve done anything of note in the college football world, and their best basketball team ever finished 4th and lost in the first round of the conference tourney.

Don’t bring enough recent value to warrant all the complaining.
Nope. Bryan Harsin was good there, but they weren't a national brand under Harsin. They were just a standard good MW team, nothing special. They really aren't in a place to make big demands.
I would be significantly more sad about losing SDSU if this were true. We have a fun rivalry going in basketball now, and they help keep the MW a strong bball conference.
Oh by far. San Diego State has a solid football program that has been on the level of Boise State if not higher since we joined the MW. They also have the best basketball program in the conference, far superior to Boise State's bball program.. Losing them would be the biggest blow.

And yeah UNLV saying anything is hilarious. Their football program is literally one of the worst in the country over the past 40 years and that hasn't changed recently, going winless last year after firing another coach that never had a winning season the year before.

Basketball, we all know UNLV has potential, but they haven't made the NCAA tournament or even the NIT since we joined the league. They have been a below average basketball program that has struggled to win games.



nvspuds
Posts: 1130
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 569 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by nvspuds » May 6th, 2021, 3:37 pm

The appeal of Vegas has nothing to do with their success on the court or the field..

They are a large city with a major airport. They feature direct flights all over the country.. They have a sturdy tv market and they play games in a pro stadium which would be ideal for hosting conference championship games. They also have the chance of generating a major bowl game. They already host conference basketball tourneys..They can attract top flight ooc competition to Vegas. This would not be an athletic decision, just a business deal..



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 846
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 203 times
Been thanked: 298 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 6th, 2021, 4:20 pm

nvspuds wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 3:37 pm
The appeal of Vegas has nothing to do with their success on the court or the field..

They are a large city with a major airport. They feature direct flights all over the country.. They have a sturdy tv market and they play games in a pro stadium which would be ideal for hosting conference championship games. They also have the chance of generating a major bowl game. They already host conference basketball tourneys..They can attract top flight ooc competition to Vegas. This would not be an athletic decision, just a business deal..
BINGO! That's my point - geographic footprint. She's one of the prettiest girls in the school but also the dumbest, and not that much fun to be around. Still, she always gets the date.



nvspuds
Posts: 1130
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 569 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by nvspuds » May 6th, 2021, 4:38 pm

Unlv is a pretty homely gal..Las Vegas works in a lot of ways..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post:
Real Life Aggie



cval
Posts: 1184
Joined: December 10th, 2010, 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 136 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by cval » May 6th, 2021, 4:39 pm

I know Spuds doesn't think the MWC works, and maybe it is not what Nevada aspires to, but I think we are selling it a little short. Bring up a couple of the bottom feeders to a respectable level, I think it is a pretty solid group.

It will likely be ruined by a couple of teams who aspire to bigger things, but I suspect their search for something bigger will hurt us, without really helping them in the long run.

I think committing to building the MWC would be a better bet long term than seeking a better place, but unfortunately many don't have the patience to build something. Looking for the perfect home is probably less effective than improving the home you already own.



nvspuds
Posts: 1130
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 569 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by nvspuds » May 6th, 2021, 4:52 pm

cval wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 4:39 pm
I know Spuds doesn't think the MWC works, and maybe it is not what Nevada aspires to, but I think we are selling it a little short. Bring up a couple of the bottom feeders to a respectable level, I think it is a pretty solid group.

It will likely be ruined by a couple of teams who aspire to bigger things, but I suspect their search for something bigger will hurt us, without really helping them in the long run.

I think committing to building the MWC would be a better bet long term than seeking a better place, but unfortunately many don't have the patience to build something. Looking for the perfect home is probably less effective than improving the home you already own.
I have no idea what Nevada aspires to but that is not the reason the MW doesn't work. There is no commitment to make it better. There are voting blocks that have their own agenda. The schools don't really trust each other..Scheduling becomes weird because certain schools have a bit more juice..

The vote to go to a 20 game conference schedule was really divisive as it was viewed by the 4 who voted against it as a 'hand out' to schools without any thing in return for the no voters.. There is not much collegial compromise or goodwill going on.

The travel is ridiculous for non revenue sports. Everybody likes to go to San Diego or Vegas nobody wants to go to Logan or Laramie. The West division schools have to go to Hawaii every other year..The Mountain folks once every 4 years.. They also get a bigger subsidy from Hawaii..

12 is bad for football but 11 is horrible for basketball.

It is not a bad conference..It is inefficient and weighted unfairly in many ways..

Just doesn't work..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post:
Real Life Aggie



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 4118
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 1458 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2021, 5:19 pm

nvspuds wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 4:52 pm
cval wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 4:39 pm
I know Spuds doesn't think the MWC works, and maybe it is not what Nevada aspires to, but I think we are selling it a little short. Bring up a couple of the bottom feeders to a respectable level, I think it is a pretty solid group.

It will likely be ruined by a couple of teams who aspire to bigger things, but I suspect their search for something bigger will hurt us, without really helping them in the long run.

I think committing to building the MWC would be a better bet long term than seeking a better place, but unfortunately many don't have the patience to build something. Looking for the perfect home is probably less effective than improving the home you already own.
I have no idea what Nevada aspires to but that is not the reason the MW doesn't work. There is no commitment to make it better. There are voting blocks that have their own agenda. The schools don't really trust each other..Scheduling becomes weird because certain schools have a bit more juice..

The vote to go to a 20 game conference schedule was really divisive as it was viewed by the 4 who voted against it as a 'hand out' to schools without any thing in return for the no voters.. There is not much collegial compromise or goodwill going on.

The travel is ridiculous for non revenue sports. Everybody likes to go to San Diego or Vegas nobody wants to go to Logan or Laramie. The West division schools have to go to Hawaii every other year..The Mountain folks once every 4 years.. They also get a bigger subsidy from Hawaii..

12 is bad for football but 11 is horrible for basketball.

It is not a bad conference..It is inefficient and weighted unfairly in many ways..

Just doesn't work..
You’re a smart guy, spuds. Where do you see USU and Nevada ending up if the MW implodes?



nvspuds
Posts: 1130
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 569 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by nvspuds » May 6th, 2021, 5:26 pm

Sharing a conference but probably a smaller one..

I could see this..

NV/USU

WY/NM

FSU/SJSU

NMST/UTEP



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 4118
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 1458 times

Re: Conference re-alignment rumors now in full swing

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2021, 5:36 pm

nvspuds wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 5:26 pm
Sharing a conference but probably a smaller one..

I could see this..

NV/USU

WY/NM

FSU/SJSU

NMST/UTEP
You think CSU gets called up? I am doubting that. That could still be a fun basketball conference. I miss being in the same conference with NMSU for basketball reasons. Lots of fond memories from WAC matchups with them.

Also a conference USU and Nevada could aspire to win in football.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic