The hopefully definitive 2021 transfer portal thread

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ineptimusprime

Re: The hopefully definitive 2021 transfer portal thread

Post by ineptimusprime » May 3rd, 2021, 9:47 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 9:31 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 9:16 pm
Obviously Jones went to Olympus High and his family lives in Holladay but 247 lists him as from Logan originally? Is that true?
I’d be very happy with Jones at USU and see him as an upgrade to Worster in every aspect but one.
Rylan’s dad was stew’s long time assistant & lived in Logan. Utah hired Chris Jones around 2015 & they moved down there.

I can confirm Rylan & his dad have been back visiting in Logan recently.
Is Jones in the portal? If not, we can’t be contacting him, no?

stang

Post by stang » May 3rd, 2021, 10:47 pm

slcagg wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 8:25 pm
UStateTim wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 8:20 pm
slcagg wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 7:29 pm
aggies22 wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 6:00 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 4:09 pm
SpectrumMagic wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 2:45 pm
Rylan Jones?? :headscratch:
talk of him entering portal??
I’d rather have The Wright kid from High-Point but Jones wouldn’t be a bad consolation.
We don't need Rylan Jones.
While I don’t know enough about rylan and his play to have an opinion one or another. I will say this, this is not the only place this is being discussed on the inter webs separate from our board. Could just be internet rumors but it is out there with new discussion.

Stat wise his freshman year was similar to Rollie’s numbers. Not saying that means anything they are just similar.
Maybe if we take daddy back he’ll play here. Does the Falslev kid come here if that’s the case?
Think dad took a hs job in salt lake. Maybe highland?

I do think their is a connection there with Falslev. That’s the kid I really hope ends up here.
There was a VERY real chance of Mason transferring to USU following his mission before the staff changes took place. I don't know if that's changed with the recent developments or not.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 4th, 2021, 6:20 am

stang wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 10:47 pm
slcagg wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 8:25 pm
UStateTim wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 8:20 pm
slcagg wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 7:29 pm
aggies22 wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 6:00 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 4:09 pm
SpectrumMagic wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
talk of him entering portal??
I’d rather have The Wright kid from High-Point but Jones wouldn’t be a bad consolation.
We don't need Rylan Jones.
While I don’t know enough about rylan and his play to have an opinion one or another. I will say this, this is not the only place this is being discussed on the inter webs separate from our board. Could just be internet rumors but it is out there with new discussion.

Stat wise his freshman year was similar to Rollie’s numbers. Not saying that means anything they are just similar.
Maybe if we take daddy back he’ll play here. Does the Falslev kid come here if that’s the case?
Think dad took a hs job in salt lake. Maybe highland?

I do think their is a connection there with Falslev. That’s the kid I really hope ends up here.
There was a VERY real chance of Mason transferring to USU following his mission before the staff changes took place. I don't know if that's changed with the recent developments or not.
Good stuff. Hopefully we are the more successful team the next few years!

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 4th, 2021, 6:34 am

Bank Shot wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 8:43 pm
I'm sorry if I hit a nerve regarding Jones. If he comes here and can take us to the next level (which is winning a tourney game vs a P5 school) then great. IMO we needed a big upgrade over Rollie to accomplish that. If Jones is that guy then I guess we can revel in the fact that Smith screwed up by taking Rollie with him. I just think in order to get to the next level we need an elite player at that position and from what 22 infers the coaching staff is aiming at something better than Rollie, Jones, and of course, Ashworth. Nothing against Ashworth either. I think he's a nice piece to the puzzle but not THAT guy and next year with no Sams, Quetas, etc. we need that type of guy.

If you guys watch enough U games to think he is, then I will feel better about it. But my initial reaction was why do we want to settle on a guy that is competing with Worster for minutes when we need (or should want) something much better. Good enough for Worster to be going to Utah as a backup PG, which I can't get my head around.

If I sounded like a Zoob, then I need a few days to lock myself in a room and puke my guts out.
I mean sure, in a perfect world we would get a 5 star transfer from Duke or Kansas that is exponentially better than Worster, but until that guy walks through the door, we gotta take all the other good players we can.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » May 4th, 2021, 7:39 am

2004AG wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 6:34 am
Bank Shot wrote:
I'm sorry if I hit a nerve regarding Jones. If he comes here and can take us to the next level (which is winning a tourney game vs a P5 school) then great. IMO we needed a big upgrade over Rollie to accomplish that. If Jones is that guy then I guess we can revel in the fact that Smith screwed up by taking Rollie with him. I just think in order to get to the next level we need an elite player at that position and from what 22 infers the coaching staff is aiming at something better than Rollie, Jones, and of course, Ashworth. Nothing against Ashworth either. I think he's a nice piece to the puzzle but not THAT guy and next year with no Sams, Quetas, etc. we need that type of guy.

If you guys watch enough U games to think he is, then I will feel better about it. But my initial reaction was why do we want to settle on a guy that is competing with Worster for minutes when we need (or should want) something much better. Good enough for Worster to be going to Utah as a backup PG, which I can't get my head around.

If I sounded like a Zoob, then I need a few days to lock myself in a room and puke my guts out.
I mean sure, in a perfect world we would get a 5 star transfer from Duke or Kansas that is exponentially better than Worster, but until that guy walks through the door, we gotta take all the other good players we can.
Sherfield, Stevens or Williams weren't 5* transfers from Duke or Kansas. That's the kind of player I would like to see we get with our LAST scholly.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
slcagg

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 4th, 2021, 11:14 am

Sl7vk wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 9:16 pm
Obviously Jones went to Olympus High and his family lives in Holladay but 247 lists him as from Logan originally? Is that true?
I’d be very happy with Jones at USU and see him as an upgrade to Worster in every aspect but one.
Yes. Rylan Jones began his high school career at Logan High.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 4th, 2021, 11:34 am

Bank Shot wrote:
2004AG wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 6:34 am
Bank Shot wrote:

Sherfield, Stevens or Williams weren't 5* transfers from Duke or Kansas. That's the kind of player I would like to see we get with our LAST scholly.
Well exactly, that’s the point I was making. I just used hyperbole to illustrate what I was saying. So far Odom has just picked up low major guys from UMBC and I’d put Rylan Jones up against them.

If Odom can do better than Jones, then by all means get the guy but So far he hasn’t been able to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 3):
utaggiesBank ShotRoy McAvoy

utaggies

Post by utaggies » May 4th, 2021, 11:40 am

I have a hard time getting excited about updates about us showing interest in a player or even contacting a player. I don’t begrudge those that do. When we offer a player I get more excited. But when we actually sign a player is when it gets real.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » May 4th, 2021, 11:49 am

Bank Shot wrote:The last time I was teased this bad was when I was in my late 30's and this extremely hot 20 year old wanted to meet me at the bar the next evening only to find out that she wanted to introduce me to her mother who was not even luke warm.
I’m take a 40 year old over two 20 year olds. I can’t teach all day and all night!

Hail Aggies!

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » May 4th, 2021, 1:39 pm

I watched Rylan play a lot of AAU ball and he was legit. He was invited to a number of camps and was ranked in the top 5 in the nation during that time. I haven’t watched him play much at the U - if their fans aren’t watching how can they expect anyone else too - but if he did have Worster type stats his freshman year in the PAC 12 I’d say he’s an upgrade. I think he has all the skills we are looking for in a PG, but I haven’t seen him play recently. I thought he and Mason would have been a lethal guard combo

SeldomSeenSmith

Post by SeldomSeenSmith » May 4th, 2021, 1:46 pm

I don't think Rylan Jones is a player that USU should use a scholarship on.
These users thanked the author SeldomSeenSmith for the post:
aggies22

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 4th, 2021, 2:13 pm

Any scuttlebutt on if the High Point PG (Wright) is leaning one way or another? Would love to have him. He’s dynamic and can both score at a high rate and distribute. He’s also only a sophomore. I think Boston College is recruiting him hard. Odom needs to GATA on this one.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 4th, 2021, 3:03 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 2:13 pm
Any scuttlebutt on if the High Point PG (Wright) is leaning one way or another? Would love to have him. He’s dynamic and can both score at a high rate and distribute. He’s also only a sophomore. I think Boston College is recruiting him hard. Odom needs to GATA on this one.
I'm glad we reached out. But if some of htose schools offer I have a hard time believing he will come here. He is from North Carolina and he has P5s after him. Again I'm glad we are after him though. I think we have alot to offer that some of those schools do not. Just have seen how this usually plays out.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 4th, 2021, 3:37 pm

slcagg wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 2:13 pm
I'm glad we reached out. But if some of htose schools offer I have a hard time believing he will come here. He is from North Carolina and he has P5s after him. Again I'm glad we are after him though. I think we have alot to offer that some of those schools do not. Just have seen how this usually plays out.
Any chance Odom or any of his staff have a previous connection with Wright? Considering he is coming from High Point (low major / east coast) I’m wondering if any of our new staff had recruited him while at UMBC. I’m too lazy to research it but just wondering out loud.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 4th, 2021, 7:06 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 1:39 pm
I watched Rylan play a lot of AAU ball and he was legit. He was invited to a number of camps and was ranked in the top 5 in the nation during that time. I haven’t watched him play much at the U - if their fans aren’t watching how can they expect anyone else too - but if he did have Worster type stats his freshman year in the PAC 12 I’d say he’s an upgrade. I think he has all the skills we are looking for in a PG, but I haven’t seen him play recently. I thought he and Mason would have been a lethal guard combo
Top 5 recruit in the nation? He was a top 5 recruit in the state of Utah, but never the nation. He had a decent freshman season, but after last year I'd be skeptical and think we can do better.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 4th, 2021, 7:27 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 7:06 pm
Chupamedia wrote:
Top 5 recruit in the nation? He was a top 5 recruit in the state of Utah, but never the nation. He had a decent freshman season, but after last year I'd be skeptical and think we can do better.
You both are right in a way. Ranked the 113th player in his class, number 11 pg and number 3 player in the state (I’m sure the two kids in front of him were wasatch academy kids).

https://247sports.com/player/rylan-jones-45572873/

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 4th, 2021, 7:29 pm

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 4th, 2021, 7:50 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
“Thinking” we can do better and “actually” doing better are two different things. Odom hasn’t proven he can “actually” do better.

Call me crazy, but I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to high major guys vs low major.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
utaggies

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 4th, 2021, 7:59 pm

slcagg wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 7:29 pm
Article about the high point guy.

https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... 165035844/
Certainly doesn’t sound like he’s coming here, but I appreciate that we reached out.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 4th, 2021, 8:10 pm

2004AG wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 7:50 pm
Chupamedia wrote:
“Thinking” we can do better and “actually” doing better are two different things. Odom hasn’t proven he can “actually” do better.

Call me crazy, but I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to high major guys vs low major.

Yeah maybe. It is just hard to get excited about him because he was pretty bad last year. Other than Idaho State and UVU last year, he never made more than 2 shots in a game. I really want someone who can make shots after watching our team last season.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 4th, 2021, 8:53 pm

May 4th, 2021, 8:10 pm
2004AG wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 7:50 pm
Chupamedia wrote:

Yeah maybe. It is just hard to get excited about him because he was pretty bad last year. Other than Idaho State and UVU last year, he never made more than 2 shots in a game. I really want someone who can make shots after watching our team last season.
Sometimes guys are playing in a bad system. Sometimes the coach isn't using them correctly. Sometimes they just need a change of scenery. Sometimes Larry K is a bad coach and a jerk.

Jones has talent.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » May 4th, 2021, 9:03 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
I think this was misread - I said at the time of AAU he was a top 5 at his position. Never mentioned the word recruit or referred to his recruitment to college
These users thanked the author Chupamedia for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 6th, 2021, 7:46 am

A couple transfer commitments of note:

Drew Buggs (Hawaii —> MO —> Winthrop). We had shown interest last year when he left Hawaii. Not sure if Odom’s staff had contacted him this go around or not.

Brandon Knapper (Eastern Kentucky —> San Jose St). Averaged 18+ pts in only 23 minutes. Tim Miles is doing well in the portal.

Lobos have 8-9 guys in the portal. Most of them are bench guys though. They did pick up some P5 transfers to add to the few good pieces that they are keeping (Maluach, Singleton, Manuel, Brown, Francis,...)

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2021, 9:01 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 7:46 am

Drew Buggs (Hawaii —> MO —> Winthrop). We had shown interest last year when he left Hawaii. Not sure if Odom’s staff had contacted him this go around or not.

Brandon Knapper (Eastern Kentucky —> San Jose St). Averaged 18+ pts in only 23 minutes. Tim Miles is doing well in the portal.

Lobos have 8-9 guys in the portal. Most of them are bench guys though. They did pick up some P5 transfers to add to the few good pieces that they are keeping (Maluach, Singleton, Manuel, Brown, Francis,...)
UNM and SJSU should be improved next year, which will only be good for the conference.

I wish at least one more of our bench guys would enter the portal. Once Rollie and Marco entered the portal, I was kinda hoping for more of an “Extreme Makeover: Aggie Roster Edition” this offseason, but that didn’t happen. Other than Ashworth, Shulga, and a tiny sliver of hope left with Bairstow, I am VERY bearish on our remaining returning bench guys.

I do really like the returning starters we have in Bean and Miller. If we get that penetrating pass first point god, Miller is going to take another leap next year if he can get healthy.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 6th, 2021, 11:06 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 9:01 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

UNM and SJSU should be improved next year, which will only be good for the conference.

I wish at least one more of our bench guys would enter the portal. Once Rollie and Marco entered the portal, I was kinda hoping for more of an “Extreme Makeover: Aggie Roster Edition” this offseason, but that didn’t happen. Other than Ashworth, Shulga, and a tiny sliver of hope left with Bairstow, I am VERY bearish on our remaining returning bench guys.

I do really like the returning starters we have in Bean and Miller. If we get that penetrating pass first point god, Miller is going to take another leap next year if he can get healthy.
A pass-first point god would be awesome! :lol: With Miller though, I don't buy it. We've all been waiting for Miller to take a "leap" since 2017. The Brock Miller we saw against Texas Tech is about all that can be expected, unfortunately. I am Barrish on McBuckets, Barristow, Shulga, and even Hamoda; they all have promise and significant potential. Will, they ever reach it? Who knows but Miller is who he is.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2021, 11:25 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 11:06 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

A pass-first point god would be awesome! :lol: With Miller though, I don't buy it. We've all been waiting for Miller to take a "leap" since 2017. The Brock Miller we saw against Texas Tech is about all that can be expected, unfortunately. I am Barrish on McBuckets, Barristow, Shulga, and even Hamoda; they all have promise and significant potential. Will, they ever reach it? Who knows but Miller is who he is.
You describe being bullish on those guys, not bearish.

Brock Miller was damn good this year until injuries hobbled him. I sometimes wonder if some of you watched the same team as I did this year, and think there’s some “backup quarterback being the most popular guy on the team” effect with some of the guys playing behind Brock. Brock Miller has been a three year starter on some of our best teams for a reason.

I am excited to see how Shulga develops, I am on my last legs with Bairstow (although I think he can be a useful MW player at the three spot). I am okay with the Hamoda signing, though I think a development type player is kind of a weird use of a scholarship right now (considering roster needs and the transfer portal era) unless the coaches are expecting a Neemi-like freshman year out of him.

Returns on McBuckets and Zapala have not been good.

No explanation on Liam is good for him. He has either been not good enough to get spot minutes, or too frail and oft injured to get spot minutes. Neither bodes well. Zapala was stuck on the depth chart behind Dorius, and while I appreciate what we got from Dorius, that doesn’t bode well for Zapala.

Just my thoughts!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 6th, 2021, 12:00 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 11:25 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

Brock Miller was damn good this year until injuries hobbled him. I sometimes wonder if some of you watched the same team as I did this year, and think there’s some “backup quarterback being the most popular guy on the team” effect with some of the guys playing behind Brock. Brock Miller has been a three year starter on some of our best teams for a reason.

I am excited to see how Shulga develops, I am on my last legs with Bairstow (although I think he can be a useful MW player at the three spot). I am okay with the Hamoda signing, though I think a development type player is kind of a weird use of a scholarship right now (considering roster needs and the transfer portal era) unless the coaches are expecting a Neemi-like freshman year out of him.

No explanation on Liam is good for him. He has either been not good enough to get spot minutes, or too frail and oft injured to get spot minutes. Neither bodes well. Zapala was stuck on the depth chart behind Dorius, and while I appreciate what we got from Dorius, that doesn’t bode well for Zapala.

Just my thoughts!
Very true for McChesney - on a team in desperate need of outside shooting last year and McChesney being hailed as an above-average outside shooter, the fact that he couldn't get off the bench is curious and disturbing. What is up with him?

For the last scholarship - do you look for a primary ball-handler/distributor type of a player? Or do you look for a guy that can lock down the best wing player on the other team? I think, with the loss of Anthony, we need the latter for than the former. We need someone long and athletic enough to be a lock-down wing/guard defender. We don't have Queta to make up for poor perimeter defense anymore.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 6th, 2021, 12:30 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 2:54 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
What about him?
I hope we have another scholarship come available because I hope we're not done after this.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2021, 12:35 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 12:30 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
What about him?
I hope we have another scholarship come available because I hope we're not done after this.
Well, welcome Rylan Jones. He will be a useful player for us. Had a nice freshman year, was a 4-star recruit, and next year will just be a “do-over” of his disappointing season this year, cause he still has 3 years to play left.

But I join you in hoping we can find at least one more scholarship.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » May 6th, 2021, 1:05 pm

Yossarian wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 12:00 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

Just my thoughts!
Very true for McChesney - on a team in desperate need of outside shooting last year and McChesney being hailed as an above-average outside shooter, the fact that he couldn't get off the bench is curious and disturbing. What is up with him?

For the last scholarship - do you look for a primary ball-handler/distributor type of a player? Or do you look for a guy that can lock down the best wing player on the other team? I think, with the loss of Anthony, we need the latter for than the former. We need someone long and athletic enough to be a lock-down wing/guard defender. We don't have Queta to make up for poor perimeter defense anymore.
McChesney had a broken foot or something that kept him out last season.
These users thanked the author frankiesaysrelax for the post:
OrangeCountyAggie

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » May 6th, 2021, 1:06 pm

Yossarian wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

Just my thoughts!

McChesney broke his ankle in December. Sometime after the College of Idaho game he appeared on the sideline with his foot in a boot and riding a scooter. He wasn't having a hard time getting off the bench - he wasn't even on it. He didn't dress the remainder of the season.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
cvalOrangeCountyAggie

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » May 6th, 2021, 1:15 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 12:30 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
What about him?
The way we have recruited we could have 4 more scholarships and none would move the needle.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 6th, 2021, 1:25 pm

Aglicious wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 1:06 pm
Yossarian wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

Just my thoughts!

McChesney broke his ankle in December. Sometime after the College of Idaho game he appeared on the sideline with his foot in a boot and riding a scooter. He wasn't having a hard time getting off the bench - he wasn't even on it. He didn't dress the remainder of the season.
Ok. We’ll see if he’s got anything this upcoming year.
But I’ll note he was here for an entire season and never got even spot minutes when we could have used some shooting. He also never got even spot minutes at the beginning of this year before the injury.

I don’t think he’s a MW level player. I guess we’ll find out next year. I would love to be wrong about him.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » May 6th, 2021, 1:26 pm

Brock got the minutes over Sean/Liam for a reason (Liam was available part of the season). At a minimum, Brock must have been more complimentary to the other pieces on the court but I assume he was a better overall player. Time will tell if Sean/Liam can take a leap forward and contribute more than Brock.

Donman

Post by Donman » May 6th, 2021, 1:29 pm

Brock was pretty good at the start of the year before he was injured.

Locked Previous topicNext topic