Football player enters transfer portal

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Pacobag

Re: Football player enters transfer portal

Post by Pacobag » April 9th, 2021, 4:28 pm

stang wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 3:25 pm
A college kid who plays basketball for your favorite school (and doesn’t get paid to do so) owes you absolutely nothing, and if this is the first generation to realize that, good on em.
Doesn’t get paid, are you trying to stir the pot?

Tuition, fees, books, housing, food, travel, hotels, media exposure, tutors... access to facilities, physical trainers, strength and conditioning professionals, coaching, insurance, gear.... put a dollar value on all that and it ain’t chump change. Ya, some of the most elite will make significantly more playing professionally, but getting a quality education, the coaching, and media exposure that actually improves a kid’s draft stock is pretty valuable.
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post (total 6):
cvalAggie84025AngusAgAggie in BoiseMrBiggleAggieFBObsession

utaggies

Post by utaggies » April 9th, 2021, 4:44 pm

Since 2015 student-athletes have received stipends to cover their cost of living. I don’t know what the amount currently is but 6 years ago it was $3,850.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 9th, 2021, 4:48 pm

stang wrote:
I’m bummed Rollie is leaving. I truly thought he had a chance to go down as one of the greats. From my viewpoint, he’s not likely to find a basketball situation as good as the one he has here. But my opinion is entirely irrelevant in this situation.
This is exactly what I was referring to. Bummed? Why? We need more Justin Beans and Sam Merrills, not Rollie Worsters. Rollie is giving Utah State an opportunity to find someone who really wants to represent the university, not someone who doesn't.

GoldcoastAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by GoldcoastAggie » April 9th, 2021, 5:17 pm

Pacobag wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 4:28 pm
stang wrote:
A college kid who plays basketball for your favorite school (and doesn’t get paid to do so) owes you absolutely nothing, and if this is the first generation to realize that, good on em.

Tuition, fees, books, housing, food, travel, hotels, media exposure, tutors... access to facilities, physical trainers, strength and conditioning professionals, coaching, insurance, gear.... put a dollar value on all that and it ain’t chump change. Ya, some of the most elite will make significantly more playing professionally, but getting a quality education, the coaching, and media exposure that actually improves a kid’s draft stock is pretty valuable.
I personally think it's a great reward that anyone is lucky to receive. However, when plenty of other universities are offering the same thing it becomes a different decision. They have skills that are in demand and just like in the professional world they have other opportunities that they may feel suit them better.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 9th, 2021, 6:31 pm

GoldcoastAggie wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 5:17 pm
Pacobag wrote:
stang wrote:

I personally think it's a great reward that anyone is lucky to receive. However, when plenty of other universities are offering the same thing it becomes a different decision. They have skills that are in demand and just like in the professional world they have other opportunities that they may feel suit them better.
Yep, it is up to USU to either keep their good players or bring in better players. In the modern day, you are recruiting players twice. You are recruiting them to your campus and then you are recruiting them while they are at your school into continuing to stay.

Unrelated to the topic, but do you live in Gold Coast, Australia?

CanofShiz

Post by CanofShiz » April 9th, 2021, 6:59 pm

stang wrote:
There are a million reasons a kid could feel the need to transfer, and frankly, it doesn’t matter what his is. A college kid who plays basketball for your favorite school (and doesn’t get paid to do so) owes you absolutely nothing, and if this is the first generation to realize that, good on em.

I’m bummed Rollie is leaving. I truly thought he had a chance to go down as one of the greats. From my viewpoint, he’s not likely to find a basketball situation as good as the one he has here. But my opinion is entirely irrelevant in this situation.
100% agree it's nice to read a level headed response. For others who may not agree that's fine. Just remember what you were doing at the age of 19. We are dealing with adults that are level 1 or 2. Hindsight is 20/20.

GoldcoastAggie

Post by GoldcoastAggie » April 9th, 2021, 8:07 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 6:31 pm
GoldcoastAggie wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
stang wrote:

Yep, it is up to USU to either keep their good players or bring in better players. In the modern day, you are recruiting players twice. You are recruiting them to your campus and then you are recruiting them while they are at your school into continuing to stay.

Not quite. It’s a neighborhood in Chicago where I live.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 9th, 2021, 8:57 pm

GoldcoastAggie wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 8:07 pm
GoldcoastAggie wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
stang wrote:

Too bad, I was going to kiss your a$$ so I could spend a few days in Australia on your couch. :joking:

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 9th, 2021, 9:06 pm

April 9th, 2021, 8:57 pm
GoldcoastAggie wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 8:07 pm
GoldcoastAggie wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
stang wrote:

Too bad, I was going to kiss your a$$ so I could spend a few days in Australia on your couch. :joking:
Hey Chicago in December can be pleasant to visit as well.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

stang

Post by stang » April 9th, 2021, 11:15 pm

Pacobag wrote:
stang wrote:

Getting a year-by-year scholarship that is not at all guaranteed, and getting paid, are different. I’m not trying to make a statement for player pay or anything like that. I’m just saying that Rollie fulfilled his end of the agreement by playing this year. He owes the university nothing else, because they could have just as easily “counciled him out”

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 9th, 2021, 11:21 pm

stang wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 11:15 pm
Pacobag wrote:
stang wrote:

Getting a year-by-year scholarship that is not at all guaranteed, and getting paid, are different. I’m not trying to make a statement for player pay or anything like that. I’m just saying that Rollie fulfilled his end of the agreement by playing this year. He owes the university nothing else, because they could have just as easily “counciled him out”
Sure, he doesn't owe USU anything, but you can't really blame a group of Aggie fans that are disappointed that a freshman with a lot of potential is leaving the program and probably going to the enemy. Hopefully Odom brings in somebody better. I'm actually really excited to hear who we bring in over the next few weeks. Garrison Brooks is transferring from North Carolina. Hey, I can dream.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
MrBiggle

stang

Post by stang » April 9th, 2021, 11:23 pm

2004AG wrote:
stang wrote:There are a million reasons a kid could feel the need to transfer, and frankly, it doesn’t matter what his is. A college kid who plays basketball for your favorite school (and doesn’t get paid to do so) owes you absolutely nothing, and if this is the first generation to realize that, good on em.

That’s a straw man argument. Nobody is claiming he owes us something.

Can we discuss how bad it sucks on a Utah State fan board though ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nobody is saying word-for-word “he owes it to us to stick around”, you’re right. But several are acting like it by saying things about how this generation are entitled and how he’s “running from adversity” without knowing a single thing about his situation.
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » April 10th, 2021, 12:00 am

stang wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
stang wrote:

I agree with you that he doesn’t owe the university. He got the benefits for one year and he played hard for one year. It sucks for us fans to see one of our better players looking to leave, but if he believes he has a good chance to put himself in a better situation, why not explore the options? He could end up in a worse, equivalent, or better situation. I’d like to believe that 9 times out of 10 USU is a better situation, but maybe I had too much Aggie Ice Cream.

I mistakenly “over” read into your statement regarding pay.

IdAggie

Post by IdAggie » April 10th, 2021, 1:32 am

You have to remember that Rollie and the other freshman have never stepped foot into a classroom at USU (were all online due to COVID), never experienced the Spectrum, were encouraged to not have much social contact outside of the team, etc. They did not and have not build a strong connection to USU, developed friendships, connected with fans, etc. It has been a year of lack of connection for students in general.
TrueAG wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 9:59 pm
Do these guys not have friends
Girlfriends
transfer credits
If you aren't going pro anyways you are missing building a legacy.
These users thanked the author IdAggie for the post:
AggiesForever

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » April 10th, 2021, 6:58 am

utaggies wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 10:12 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 9:52 pm

My neighbor graduated from USU. He was heavily involved with USU in college. He married a song leader from Cache Valley. And now? He’s a dyed-in-the-wool BYU fan and so are all of his kids. And why? Because their football team has been easier to root for. And me? I came to USU from out of state to pursue a course of study. I had only visited the university once and it was my second time I had ever even been to Utah. I knew no one who had attended USU. And now? I am an Aggie to the core. Through thick and thin, come what may. I have a deep sense of loyalty to USU. It appears that attribute is now passé.
Not necessarily so. I have four kids attending USU right now. Two full-time and two concurrent enrollment in high school. They are 5th generation Aggies reaching back in an unbroken line to the 1890s when my great grandmother graduated with her BS in the first class with women. We live in the shadow of Y Mountain as well so they technically had options but they exercised only one - 100 miles north.
These users thanked the author WasatchAggie for the post (total 3):
WinkieAggiesForeverUSU78

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 10th, 2021, 7:30 am

WasatchAggie wrote:
April 10th, 2021, 6:58 am
utaggies wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 10:12 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 9:52 pm

My neighbor graduated from USU. He was heavily involved with USU in college. He married a song leader from Cache Valley. And now? He’s a dyed-in-the-wool BYU fan and so are all of his kids. And why? Because their football team has been easier to root for. And me? I came to USU from out of state to pursue a course of study. I had only visited the university once and it was my second time I had ever even been to Utah. I knew no one who had attended USU. And now? I am an Aggie to the core. Through thick and thin, come what may. I have a deep sense of loyalty to USU. It appears that attribute is now passé.
Not necessarily so. I have four kids attending USU right now. Two full-time and two concurrent enrollment in high school. They are 5th generation Aggies reaching back in an unbroken line to the 1890s when my great grandmother graduated with her BS in the first class with women. We live in the shadow of Y Mountain as well so they technically had options but they exercised only one - 100 miles north.
Aggie nation needs more families like yours. I am doing my best to make sure my kids are aggies. So far so good, I hope they have the desire to continue on the family tradition.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 10th, 2021, 1:00 pm

stang wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 11:23 pm
2004AG wrote:
stang wrote:There are a million reasons a kid could feel the need to transfer, and frankly, it doesn’t matter what his is. A college kid who plays basketball for your favorite school (and doesn’t get paid to do so) owes you absolutely nothing, and if this is the first generation to realize that, good on em.

That’s a straw man argument. Nobody is claiming he owes us something.

Can we discuss how bad it sucks on a Utah State fan board though ?

Nobody is saying word-for-word “he owes it to us to stick around”, you’re right. But several are acting like it by saying things about how this generation are entitled and how he’s “running from adversity” without knowing a single thing about his situation.
Can both be true at the same time?
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 10th, 2021, 1:58 pm

Every age demographic is dealing with entitlement issues right now, but I do feel like Gen Z will particularly struggle with it. My point in bringing the topic of generational issues thought was in response to the question about why these athletes don't worry about establishing legacies.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » April 11th, 2021, 9:03 pm

Losing Worster will leave a giant hole to be filled but realistically, if we are ever to win that elusive NCAA tourney game we need a more dynamic PG than Worster anyway. I'm excited to see if Odom can bring in that player.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 11th, 2021, 10:15 pm

aggiesdotcom wrote:
April 11th, 2021, 9:03 pm
Losing Worster will leave a giant hole to be filled but realistically, if we are ever to win that elusive NCAA tourney game we need a more dynamic PG than Worster anyway. I'm excited to see if Odom can bring in that player.
I think worster can be a key piece on a great team. He averaged almost double digits as a true freshman on a fantastic team. Sure I’d like to add a guard like stevens at csu as well.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggiesdotcom

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 12th, 2021, 12:31 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:
Bad take. Worster had a historic true freshman year. Compare his freshman numbers to other Aggie greats... he'll develop into an incredible player.

Plus, not a true PG, positionless basketball, blah blah.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » April 12th, 2021, 3:10 am

Pacobag wrote:
April 10th, 2021, 12:00 am
stang wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
stang wrote:

I agree with you that he doesn’t owe the university. He got the benefits for one year and he played hard for one year. It sucks for us fans to see one of our better players looking to leave, but if he believes he has a good chance to put himself in a better situation, why not explore the options? He could end up in a worse, equivalent, or better situation. I’d like to believe that 9 times out of 10 USU is a better situation, but maybe I had too much Aggie Ice Cream.

I mistakenly “over” read into your statement regarding pay.
Who knows? Rollie could end up at Weber State in a couple of years.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » April 12th, 2021, 8:19 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
April 12th, 2021, 12:31 am
aggiesdotcom wrote:
Bad take. Worster had a historic true freshman year. Compare his freshman numbers to other Aggie greats... he'll develop into an incredible player.

It's not a bad take. He has an inconsistent outside shot and doesn't get to the foul line which means he's not getting to the hoop. His play the last 3 games of the season left a lot to be desired. Maybe he was already on his way out and was distracted.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 12th, 2021, 8:23 am

This only matters if Odom can't bring in someone comparable or better. I am going to wait and see what our new coach can do.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 12th, 2021, 8:28 am

brian5562 wrote:
April 12th, 2021, 8:19 am
Real Life Aggie wrote:
aggiesdotcom wrote:

It's not a bad take. He has an inconsistent outside shot and doesn't get to the foul line which means he's not getting to the hoop. His play the last 3 games of the season left a lot to be desired. Maybe he was already on his way out and was distracted.
Rollie is going to be good (with the potential to be great) no matter where he ends up.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 12th, 2021, 8:37 am

brian5562 wrote:
Real Life Aggie wrote:
aggiesdotcom wrote:

Already on his way out? Please. :roll: Don't be such a drama queen.

Or it could have been his ankle injury that he had to sit out with a few games previous. Or games against excellent opponents that played stifling defense. Or he had some off nights.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » April 12th, 2021, 9:00 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
April 12th, 2021, 8:37 am
brian5562 wrote:
Real Life Aggie wrote:
aggiesdotcom wrote:

Or it could have been his ankle injury that he had to sit out with a few games previous. Or games against excellent opponents that played stifling defense. Or he had some off nights.
26 games played this year. In the first 13 he had 7 games in double figures. Last 13 games he had only 3. Maybe that was the injury. He had 13 games where he had more assist that turnovers. So in 50% of the games he played as a starting pg he had 0 or negative assist to turnover ratio. That’s not just being a freshman.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 12th, 2021, 9:09 am

How long does it take you guys to move on? I mean, this thread is still going after five days?

c'mon.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 12th, 2021, 9:40 am

brownjeans wrote:
April 12th, 2021, 9:09 am
How long does it take you guys to move on? I mean, this thread is still going after five days?

c'mon.
It’d be easier to move on if we had something exciting like recruits or new assistants to talk about.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21brownjeans

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » April 12th, 2021, 9:47 am

brian5562 wrote:
April 12th, 2021, 9:00 am
Real Life Aggie wrote:
April 12th, 2021, 8:37 am
brian5562 wrote:
Real Life Aggie wrote:
aggiesdotcom wrote:

26 games played this year. In the first 13 he had 7 games in double figures. Last 13 games he had only 3. Maybe that was the injury. He had 13 games where he had more assist that turnovers. So in 50% of the games he played as a starting pg he had 0 or negative assist to turnover ratio. That’s not just being a freshman.
:roll:

I didn't say anything about him being a freshman as an explanation for it.

If you want to get into first 13 versus last 13, what was the overall quality of opponents in those last games? It's not an equal comparison. Plus, as he developed and did work in games, teams then had to scout him and plan better for him. Plus all the reasons I mentioned above (injury, better defensive teams, off nights). You want to make this into such a big deal because it appears that you feel slighted in some way, so rather than accept reality, you want to create this fabricated scenario where he already had one foot out the door.

It's not cool to Rollie or any of the players you guys do this to. They were just as surprised and hurt by Coach Smith leaving as we were, if not more. You don't need to add insult to injury just because you can't handle your own feels.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » April 12th, 2021, 10:04 am

The comment about 1 foot out the door was a joke. Relax my friend. Not slighted at all, just my opinion is that Rollie isn’t as good as most Aggies feel he is.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » April 12th, 2021, 10:10 am

I love the way Rollie plays. He would have been a great Aggie. Strong, cerebral, fundamentally sound.
This is a big loss for us. With that said, two things.

1 ) Positionally he's far easier to replace than say a Keita. There are lot of strong 6ft 3 guards out there in the big bad world. We shouldn't take a meaningful drop at that position.
2) I don't think this is a good move for Rollie.

SSaggie

Post by SSaggie » April 12th, 2021, 11:01 am

brian5562 wrote:The comment about 1 foot out the door was a joke. Relax my friend. Not slighted at all, just my opinion is that Rollie isn’t as good as most Aggies feel he is.
Yeah I'm with you here. The turnovers and poor shooting were troubling.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 12th, 2021, 11:12 am

SSaggie wrote:
April 12th, 2021, 11:01 am
brian5562 wrote:The comment about 1 foot out the door was a joke. Relax my friend. Not slighted at all, just my opinion is that Rollie isn’t as good as most Aggies feel he is.
Yeah I'm with you here. The turnovers and poor shooting were troubling.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
I think the negatives of his performance came when up against really quick, athletic teams, especially on the guardline. He is fundamentally sound most of the time, but gets overwhelmed a bit when up against really quick and fast guards. IMO
For example Texas Tech.....and if we had played Baylor, they would have eaten him alive.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » April 12th, 2021, 11:33 am

I would tend to agree with that except he had him most turnovers against AFA and his best assist game vs CSU which has small quick guards.

Locked Previous topicNext topic