The (un)official QB speculation thread

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Servo

The (un)official QB speculation thread

Post by Servo » January 17th, 2011, 12:53 pm

Any and all press releases, blogs, tweets, rumors, etc. on who will be the signal caller next year for USU go here.

I'm not biased. I mock everybody.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: The (un)official QB speculation thread

Post by brownjeans » January 17th, 2011, 3:24 pm

I think Alex Hart has the edge at the moment. But I think that only because he's the returning 2nd-string QB. I don't know much else.

Who are the new players coming in? Who's back from a mission? Anyone leaving?

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » January 17th, 2011, 3:32 pm

I thought Higgins was the second string. We pulled his red-shirt so he could get some playing time against ISU. I think that he also got in against Hawaii?

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 17th, 2011, 3:55 pm

The second string last year WAS Higgins. We didn't pull his redshirt just to play him against Idaho State, We had to have him ready to go in case Borel got hurt.

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » January 17th, 2011, 4:03 pm

GfaqsAggie....you have no idea how STUPID, (and I do mean that to the tenth power of stupid) that comment and mentality is....

when youre ready, I will teach you...

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 17th, 2011, 4:41 pm

sammyhagar wrote:GfaqsAggie....you have no idea how STUPID, (and I do mean that to the tenth power of stupid) that comment and mentality is....

Am I missing something? GFA simply stated that Higgins wasn't forced into action due to an injury to those ahead of him on the depth chart, therefore his red shirt wasn't exactly "pulled". Rather, the coaches decided to get someone else some playing time in the case that we needed it and that person happened to be Higgins.

As for the OP, I have to believe that Kennedy had the inside track the minute he signed. GA will obviously give the job to the guy he feels gives us the best shot to win but I think we'll see that guy is Kennedy.

AgriAggie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by AgriAggie » January 17th, 2011, 5:43 pm

sammyhagar wrote:GfaqsAggie....you have no idea how STUPID, (and I do mean that to the tenth power of stupid) that comment and mentality is....

Yeah, that makes no sense sammy, but I, like Aglicious think that Kennedy will be the starter followed by Higgins, Hart, then Keeton? I don't know how his visit to Rice went on the 14th, anyone know if his plans have changed?

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » January 17th, 2011, 5:59 pm

I think Keeton ended up not going to Rice.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

WillRogersAggie

Post by WillRogersAggie » January 17th, 2011, 6:14 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:The second string last year WAS Higgins. We didn't pull his redshirt just to play him against Idaho State, We had to have him ready to go in case Borel got hurt.

I thought it was Fischer, when he was not hurt :noidea:

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Will Rogers

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 17th, 2011, 7:30 pm

With the way some of the games ended up it was stupid not to have redshirted Higgins in light of the few snaps he took. Not one of those snaps prepared him to step in for Borel if needed. The good news is that Higgins will probably not be the starter otherwise it could well be a Brent Guy like decision to Borel as a frosh.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aggiefan444

Post by aggiefan444 » January 17th, 2011, 7:40 pm

I don't know how fast he can learn the system and how good he really is, but I'd say that Kennedy will earn the starting job. He's big and looked good on his highlight. He's proven himself at the jc level.

AgriAggie

Post by AgriAggie » January 17th, 2011, 7:53 pm

WillRogersAggie wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:The second string last year WAS Higgins. We didn't pull his redshirt just to play him against Idaho State, We had to have him ready to go in case Borel got hurt.

I thought it was Fischer, when he was not hurt :noidea:
True

40Aggie

Post by 40Aggie » January 17th, 2011, 8:24 pm

aggiefan444 wrote:I don't know how fast he can learn the system and how good he really is, but I'd say that Kennedy will earn the starting job. He's big and looked good on his highlight. He's proven himself at the jc level.
Agreed. Kennedy was brought to USU to compete for the starting job. At this point I think he is our best option, I would be disappointed if he didn't come in and compete for the starting spot.

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » January 17th, 2011, 8:41 pm

dyedblue wrote:With the way some of the games ended up it was stupid not to have redshirted Higgins in light of the few snaps he took. Not one of those snaps prepared him to step in for Borel if needed. The good news is that Higgins will probably not be the starter otherwise it could well be a Brent Guy like decision to Borel as a frosh.
thank you....geez
the second smartest guy on this board. I said it on the last message board and people shot me out of the water saying "Gary knows what he is doing", "how we need to prepare a QB in case Borel got injured", blah blah..
One guy even said we need somebody because we cant ride Borel "into the ground" wtf? since when do you take a Division 1 football QB out because he was tired.? I got some really dumb comments suggesting that he did the right thing pulling the redshirt to give " Higgins experience"...Well i call BS on that....One of Coach A biggest mistakes thus far.
Here is a kid, very athletic, good genes..even if he doesnt play QB, would probably be an asset on the team, such as at safety or somewhere. So he gave up his fifth year as a senior, with 5 spring and fall camps under his belt, five years of practice during the season, five more years of maturity and physical development...AND HE GAVE IT UP FOR 5 MINUTES...
So to all those that say we needed someone ready in case Borel went down...I have news for you. Playing five minutes, (with second teamers, getting sacked throwing int against Idaho state) this really does not prepare somebody for the starting role IN CASE Borel goes down with injury. (which he didnt, so you lost the gamble anyway)...
If I had been in HIggins shoes I would have told Coach A No way in hell i give up my redshirt for a situation that is not needed.
It would take a new freshman QB playing in every game for the majority of the minutes to really get a feel for the game/offense/speed/...NOT FIVE MINUTES . If you want to get someone ready "in case" you need him, thats what sunday thru friday is for...the gamble lost for HIggins.
And now he wont be available as a senior to play in 12 games all for the sake of five minutes in very poor conditions. Dont say he developed because of those 5 minutes.

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » January 17th, 2011, 9:11 pm

If the starting QB is not Kennedy, Keeton or an un-named QB not currently on the roster, I am very worried about our season.

aggie16

Post by aggie16 » January 17th, 2011, 9:31 pm

jackmormon wrote:If the starting QB is not Kennedy, Keeton or an un-named QB not currently on the roster, I am very worried about our season.
More clarity on the starting QB will come out after Spring. The competittion will carry on in fall double days, and the best QB after fall camp will lead us against Auburn. With Kennedy being in spring practice, he will probably have a leg up, and more working knowledge of the offense. I do not think GA would spend the time and energy in recruting Keeton from Texas if they did not feel that he has a chance to contribute early. The QB who starts against Auburn may not be the starting QB at the end of the season. Kennedy's highlights look good; but I wonder about a QB with his measurements having zero D1 offers after HS, and only the USU offer (reference scout.com) after two years of JUCO ball. I read on scout.com that Kennedy really matured this past season, and I hope that is the case. Just my (un)official speculation. I agree with sammyhaggar, that they should red-shirt a freshman QB unless they are the starter.

AGGIEFIGHT

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » January 17th, 2011, 11:23 pm

Lets bet on the mystery quarterback- son of a pretty well known coach in
both college and the nfl

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » January 17th, 2011, 11:32 pm

AGGIEFIGHT wrote:Lets bet on the mystery quarterback- son of a pretty well known coach in
both college and the nfl
Hmmmm. Are you talking about Kragthorpe here? He may end up an Aggie. Don't think Steve ever coached in the NFL though. You've got me stumped. Maybe TJ Canales?

My guess right now is Hart based on the reports of how well he apparently was running the team during the late bye week we had this year.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

AGGIEFIGHT

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » January 18th, 2011, 12:34 am

Steve spent two years coaching quarterbacks at buffalo. While his son
would be a longshot there have been a number of coaches sons that have
done well for themselves. Kellen Moore and Ty Detmer are a couple that
come to mind.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 18th, 2011, 12:19 pm

So, I've learned two things.
  1. I know nothing about Aggie QBs... couldn't even get last years second string QB right.
  2. sammyhagar enjoys dishing out insults to his Aggie friends — underhanded, direct, indirect — he likes all kinds of insults. There's no insult he's afraid of. He also has a valid point; but no one cares because he couldn't deliver it without being a jerk.

ustateags05

Post by ustateags05 » January 18th, 2011, 1:10 pm

Brad Kragthorpe is a possibility, but there is no way he will be the guy this year. We wouldn't be looking so hard at QB if the coaches thought one of the guys in the cupboard was going to be the guy. It will be Kennedy or Keeton, most likely Kennedy. He will be given every opportunity to succeed.

GUS

Post by GUS » January 18th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Maybe I'm out of the loop or just dumb, but who is Brad Kragthorpe?

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » January 19th, 2011, 6:59 am

GUS wrote:Maybe I'm out of the loop or just dumb, but who is Brad Kragthorpe?
The son of former Louisville/Tulsa head coach Steve Kragthorpe, the grandson of USU Hall of Famer Dave Kragthorpe, and a QB recruit from Tulsa, OK (Holland Hall).

Nobody here knows anything.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » January 19th, 2011, 10:29 am

OKAggie wrote:
The son of former Louisville/Tulsa head coach Steve Kragthorpe, the grandson of USU Hall of Famer Dave Kragthorpe, and a QB recruit from Tulsa, OK (Holland Hall).
Is this kid even on the team? Is he on a mission or something?

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » January 19th, 2011, 11:00 am

CaptainChaos wrote:
OKAggie wrote:
No. He's a high school senior, and rumored to be a USU recruit.

Nobody here knows anything.

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » January 19th, 2011, 12:23 pm

OKAggie wrote:
CaptainChaos wrote:
OKAggie wrote: The son of former Louisville/Tulsa head coach Steve Kragthorpe, the grandson of USU Hall of Famer Dave Kragthorpe, and a QB recruit from Tulsa, OK (Holland Hall).
No. He's a high school senior, and rumored to be a USU recruit.
After Steve took a dive at Louisville, seems he gave his son the choice to go to school wherever he wanted his Senior year and he chose to go back to Tulsa and Holland Hall. Eventually, Steve quit as WR coach for A&M before last season began, citing family health issues, and was able to mentor his son. No doubt that this kid is familiar with Utah... his grandfather is a legend here, not to mention that his uncle, Kurt, is a beat writer for the SLTrib. Seems like he had, not only a stellar senior year at Holland Hall, but also led Louisville Trinity to the 6A title game in Kentucky his junior year. Impressive.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

AggieIceCream81

Post by AggieIceCream81 » January 19th, 2011, 1:10 pm

Did some searching on Young Kragthorpe. 6',1" 180# he appears to be alot like current Aggie, Alex Hart.
I would be surprised if he is pursued as a QB with Chuckie Keeton, same size, more athletic, coming in as well as the direction of the bigger sized, big arm QB's on the horizan with the Aggies.
The kid sure has been moved around lot but looks to settle in well at each stop. No doubt a good HS QB.

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » January 20th, 2011, 9:43 am

assuming, or hoping, that Chuckie Keeton actually signs on the dotted line and doesnt jump ship.

aggie16

Post by aggie16 » January 20th, 2011, 9:57 am

sammyhagar wrote:assuming, or hoping, that Chuckie Keeton actually signs on the dotted line and doesnt jump ship.

Keeton is ALL IN!!!! Gotta stay on top of your Facebook. LOL ;)

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » January 20th, 2011, 10:30 am

:notworthy:

Servo

Post by Servo » February 3rd, 2011, 3:05 pm

Current returning QBs on the official roster:

Higgins, Jeremy 73 6-1 195 FR HS Hawaii Kai, Hawaii/St. Louis
Hart, Alex 74 6-2 185 FR HS Draper, Utah/Jordan
Canales, T.J. 72 6-0 190 FR RS Layton, Utah/Northridge

From the recruiting class:

Chuckie Keeton 6-2 185 HS Houston, Texas (Cypress Creek HS)
Adam Kennedy 6-5 210 TR Elk Grove, Calif. (Franklin HS/San Joaquin Delta College)

I'm not biased. I mock everybody.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » February 5th, 2011, 12:42 am

I'm predicting that after the "competition" is over Adam Kennedy will be the starting quarterback. I have already heard that Higgins is slated for a redshirt this year as is Chuckie Keeton, making RS Freshman Alex Hart the back-up to Kennedy. If they need, they can play Higgins and Keeton at any time, should the situation warrant it.

Something to remember: All players signed as Freshman have five years to play four. Their redshirt year can be used anytime with the five. It's not a "once you're passed your freshman year you're screwed" deal. Occasionally, a JC player comes in as a "three to play two" kid and can redshirt-- many JC offensive linemen do just that.

If Higgins redshirts, as I have heard he will, then he would be a RS-Sophmore when he returns, a junior academically. It would work the same for anybody else redshirting-- Keeton becomes a RS-Freshman, and Kennedy would be a RS-Junior if he has one to use and needs it.

As for Brad Kragthorpe, last I heard he was offered to walk-on here, but was signed by Idaho State (where Grandpa coached the Bengals to the national championship back in 1980)

aggie16

Post by aggie16 » February 5th, 2011, 1:37 pm

AggiesForever wrote:I'm predicting that after the "competition" is over Adam Kennedy will be the starting quarterback. I have already heard that Higgins is slated for a redshirt this year as is Chuckie Keeton, making RS Freshman Alex Hart the back-up to Kennedy. If they need, they can play Higgins and Keeton at any time, should the situation warrant it.

Something to remember: All players signed as Freshman have five years to play four. Their redshirt year can be used anytime with the five. It's not a "once you're passed your freshman year you're screwed" deal. Occasionally, a JC player comes in as a "three to play two" kid and can redshirt-- many JC offensive linemen do just that.

If Higgins redshirts, as I have heard he will, then he would be a RS-Sophmore when he returns, a junior academically. It would work the same for anybody else redshirting-- Keeton becomes a RS-Freshman, and Kennedy would be a RS-Junior if he has one to use and needs it.

As for Brad Kragthorpe, last I heard he was offered to walk-on here, but was signed by Idaho State (where Grandpa coached the Bengals to the national championship back in 1980)

I guanarantee that the starting QB's last name will start with a K or H. LOL :) :thumbsup:

Locked Previous topicNext topic