Medical Hardships?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ShowMeAggie

Medical Hardships?

Post by ShowMeAggie » January 5th, 2011, 9:53 pm

Just read an article stating that Oregon State's James Rogers found out today that he had been granted an extra year of eligibility due to medical hardship (http://college-football.blogs.cbssports ... 8/26869890).

That got me to thinking about all the Fball Aggies that we have thought would be "no-brainers" for the same waiver. The Turbinator. Matt Austin. Stanley Morrison. Who else am I forgetting?

Has anyone heard anything to confirm our suspicions that we'll get back the year these guys lost?

I don't understand that process well; can anyone clarify the whats/whens/whys of the medical hardship rule(s)? Sure hope it works out like we want it to...

jackmormon
RIP

Re: Medical Hardships?

Post by jackmormon » January 5th, 2011, 10:06 pm

If the Turbine has a good year next season, he is gonzo! Austin should be eligible for a medical redshirt. Morrison maybe not so much.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » January 5th, 2011, 10:30 pm

I don't know about Turbo going pro, but I agree with Jack on the rest. By way of clarification as I understand it, Turbo, Austin, and Smith are all open and shut cases. Turbo will get his for 2007 rather than last year. In order to qualify for a medical hardship you have to make an effort to play during the season and then miss some percentage of games due to injury. Turbin was injured in game 1 against OK in 2007. He'll get that year back. Austin and Smith were both lost for the season and will get their years back. Since Morrison never hit the field this year and was injured before the season started, he will likely not get this year back. The rule works this way so players don't have mysterious year-ending 'injuries' in the off-season that result in basically an extra redshirt year.

"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

AGGIEFIGHT
Has thanked: 0

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » January 6th, 2011, 1:22 am

I bellieve Morrison has not used his redshirt year so he should be able to use that instead of a medical redshirt if his
foot heals and he can play. While turbin would get a medical redshirt for 2007 he would then use his redshirt for 2010.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » January 6th, 2011, 9:29 am

According to the school website Morrison redshirted his first season in 2007. Does this mean that 2011 will be his last year?

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » January 6th, 2011, 2:06 pm

Remember, you can't apply for a medical hardship waiver until you've completed your last year of eligibility.

While their cases are pretty tight, we won't know for sure that Morrison and Turbin are back until after this coming fall.

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

Locked Previous topicNext topic