Glad Borel is gone

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
USUinventedswagger
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Glad Borel is gone

Post by USUinventedswagger » December 4th, 2010, 8:29 pm

There were games in his career where he was great. 4 300 yard games in 2009 come to mind. Yet he also had some of the worst games in USU history that would've made even Leon Jackson laugh. (Yeah I know how bad he was, but have you watched Borel at times) Today was a prime example.

From the 2008 game against San Jose State where he had 0 passing yards in the first half to today where he had just 41 all game, it is an era I'm glad is over.

The limitation of tyrants is the endurance of those they oppose. – Frederick Douglass

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Re: Glad Borel is gone

Post by NVAggie » December 4th, 2010, 8:35 pm

When he threw that pick six I thought to myself, "Leon Jackson IV". Thank you Borel for all the memories.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » December 4th, 2010, 8:35 pm

USUinventedswagger wrote:There were games in his career where he was great. 4 300 yard games in 2009 come to mind. Yet he also had some of the worst games in USU history that would've made even Leon Jackson laugh. (Yeah I know how bad he was, but have you watched Borel at times) Today was a prime example.

From the 2008 game against San Jose State where he had 0 passing yards in the first half to today where he had just 41 all game, it is an era I'm glad is over.
Quelch guessed 43 for the game in Pick'em. :notworthy:

rockandrolle

Post by rockandrolle » December 4th, 2010, 8:38 pm

Weak thread...

BigPermAg

Post by BigPermAg » December 4th, 2010, 8:41 pm

Along similar lines the poster would also like to verbalize that he is glad that his grandma is gone!!! Sure she was a fine woman and had some good moments in life, but as life came to the end she was really a pain and all of her efforts couldn't make USUinventedswagger happy enough to justify her existence.

Great post ya burro.

Thanks to all the Seniors and their efforts.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » December 4th, 2010, 9:18 pm

i will never be glad somebody is gone who works hard, puts his body on the line, and tries to will his team to succeed. especially when that person led our football team to more wins in two years than we have seen for a long time, even if we didn't go bowling.

Chowdertime

Post by Chowdertime » December 4th, 2010, 9:23 pm

What a load of crap! What rock did USUinventedswagger crawl out from under?!

Chatman

Post by Chatman » December 4th, 2010, 9:49 pm

I wish Borel was coming back. Borel was a victim this year of having his best 5 offensive weapons out with injuries. I wish we had him for next year, no doubt.

rAggie

Post by rAggie » December 4th, 2010, 10:03 pm

You're all too nice.

Diondre Borel: Great athlete, great kid, bad QB.

He was Leon Jackson IV in every since of the phrase. But don't be sad for too long, there's a chance that Chuckie Keeton could be Leon Jackson V.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

JasonJensen

Post by JasonJensen » December 4th, 2010, 10:20 pm

Only one more year of Aggie football until Jeff Manning gets here. Not saying he is going to be our savior, but I'll take a 6'4 or 6'5 kid that had #1 Oregon looking at him and probably offering a scholarship if he didn't go on a mission.

Borel was a good QB last year but had it rough this year. I almost wondered if his spirit died in a sense once all of his supporting cast ended up injured. With that said, we were all excited for those JUCO recruits in February and look how they performed. This is why in sports you've gotta take a wait and see approach which is difficult to do.

rAggie wrote:You're all too nice.

He was Leon Jackson IV in every since of the phrase. But don't be sad for too long, there's a chance that Chuckie Keeton could be Leon Jackson V.

rockandrolle

Post by rockandrolle » December 4th, 2010, 10:29 pm

Granted Borel is no NFL talent but anybody who knows anything about football knows a QB cannot succeed with no time. Our receivers can't get halfway through their routes before he has 4 defensive hands ripping his jersey. Aaron Rodgers would have gone 6/14 at best today if we subbed him in.

I'm pretty annoyed with this thread and anyone that contributed to bashing him. Takes some serious guts to get behind an O-line like ours with D-Ends and LB's from Boise, Oklahoma, NV trying to decide the best way to break you into pieces. Diondre played every week for a team that he knew couldn't protect him. He ended up taking the worst beating on the team most weeks but still, while so many others were out with bumps and bruises the dude showed up to play every week. I don't even care if you thought he was good or not, its pure garbage that you can't respect a guy that gave us 4 tough years. He put in an effort that few others were willing to put in. I'm glad he came to Logan and glad he was willing to stay.

EternalAggie

Post by EternalAggie » December 4th, 2010, 10:49 pm

Borel for the most part did struggle this year and I am sure he more than anyone is disappointed in that. He never made excuses though despite the offense being decimated by injuries and came to play every week. He and other players like him are the reason I enjoy and support Utah State Sports so much. I thank him for a fun four years and wish him the best as he move forwards in life.

rockandrolle

Post by rockandrolle » December 4th, 2010, 10:57 pm

Solid first post EternalAggie :)

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » December 4th, 2010, 11:04 pm

rAggie wrote:You're all too nice.

Too much Sutherland Institute can turn you into a sour puss.

Agsman

Post by Agsman » December 4th, 2010, 11:30 pm

USUinventedswagger wrote:There were games in his career where he was great. 4 300 yard games in 2009 come to mind. Yet he also had some of the worst games in USU history that would've made even Leon Jackson laugh. (Yeah I know how bad he was, but have you watched Borel at times) Today was a prime example.

Careful what you wish for. I was glad to see Fuentes go too, but there were many times in the Cox and Leon eras that I wished we had someone like Fuentes to come in and move the offense.

We have nobody ready to step in and qb this team next year, but at least your glad.

xtremeat

Post by xtremeat » December 5th, 2010, 12:08 am

I for one will really miss Diondre! He worked hard and worked with an O-Line and offensive threats that were struggling or out for the season! If we had this year all season what we had going into 2010 this thread wouldn't even be on this board. When you have a talented Athlete and QB like Borel and see him struggle like he has this year shows just how much we were undersized (call it talent, size, injury or whatever you like) on the O-Line. When his supporting crew was firing on all cylinders he was incredible! We were beat down this year and I for one wish we could see Diondre with next years staff! Thanks Diondre for being a part of our team!!

"Do your best and forget the rest!" ~Tony Horton

Donman

Post by Donman » December 5th, 2010, 12:23 am

Diondre would have been a much better QB with all of his weapons. Speight was a nice back; but wasn't the threat that Turbin is.

Lost his best wide receivers.

He gave us some great moments. First QB to beat BYU since Calvilho.

rAggie

Post by rAggie » December 5th, 2010, 12:27 am

Again. Diondre Borel. GREAT athlete. GREAT kid. Not a good QB.

I watched him scramble around trying to make "magic" happen too many times when he should have just thrown it away to not make this assessment. The lack of receivers only gets you so far, but great QBs, irrespective of receiver talent, don't throw pick-6's on the first play of games. Great QBs don't have the game-to-game inconsistency that Borel had.

Again. Borel is a PHENOMENAL human and a PHENOMENAL athlete. Just because he's great in those two areas of life doesn't mean that you have to sugar coat things and translate that to him being a great QB. He certainly has had some great performances, but by and large, he was not a great QB for us, at least this season.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 5th, 2010, 12:33 am

I'll mis Diondre. He brought me something I hadn't had for awhile...hope. I am excited to see how things will change back there next year.

We'll have a good competition to watch for QB next year. The guys we know are in the mix...

Hart
Higgins
Keeton
Fischer

We have Kennedy coming in for visit who looks good. We know how rarely we have a guy on a visit who doesn't commit. We also might have a couple of other QBs visiting that could open some eyes.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

USUinventedswagger

Post by USUinventedswagger » December 5th, 2010, 1:01 am

rockandrolle wrote:Granted Borel is no NFL talent but anybody who knows anything about football knows a QB cannot succeed with no time. Our receivers can't get halfway through their routes before he has 4 defensive hands ripping his jersey. Aaron Rodgers would have gone 6/14 at best today if we subbed him in.

I'm pretty annoyed with this thread and anyone that contributed to bashing him. Takes some serious guts to get behind an O-line like ours with D-Ends and LB's from Boise, Oklahoma, NV trying to decide the best way to break you into pieces. Diondre played every week for a team that he knew couldn't protect him. He ended up taking the worst beating on the team most weeks but still, while so many others were out with bumps and bruises the dude showed up to play every week. I don't even care if you thought he was good or not, its pure garbage that you can't respect a guy that gave us 4 tough years. He put in an effort that few others were willing to put in. I'm glad he came to Logan and glad he was willing to stay.
Yeah I got annoyed with it too. He had no help. I also got annoyed with the hatred our OC got when had little talent to work with.

Borel was great at times, I acknowledged that in the OP. I will say it is time for a change though. We need to move forward as a program. I really hope our next quarterback is better than 11-22 as a starter.

The limitation of tyrants is the endurance of those they oppose. – Frederick Douglass

Highway89

How dare you?

Post by Highway89 » December 5th, 2010, 1:40 am

I can't believe some of you guys have the audacity to criticize our Quarterback? You dirty b@st@rds! We are talking about someone who threw 8 touchdown passes this year and is ranked by ESPN as the 98th most efficient quarterback in the country (although he could drop 10-15 spots after this week's gutty performance). Furthermore, he threw for an eye-popping 175 yards a game this season. What else do you expect?

Did you know Borel didn't have one D-1 receiver on the whole team to throw the ball to? Yes, that's right. Everyone of our receivers are walk-ons. In fact, two of the starters are march-ons, meaning they started the year in the marching band, but with the injuries to Austin and Morrison, were asked to play receiver.

Let me be the first to go on the record and say I am ecstatic with the fact Borel completed 4 of 15 passes for 41 yards today, especially considering the fact it was cold and rainy. Have you ever tried to throw a ball when your hands are cold? That's what I thought, you SOBs!

You are no fan of Utah State football if you are going to be critical of the play on the field. I, for one, am up late celebrating the conclusion of yet another banner year of Aggie football! :golfclap: I just hope Craig Thompson reads this message board so that he is aware of the fact that we were a few key injuries away from winning 10 or 11 games.

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » December 5th, 2010, 9:10 am

rockandrolle wrote:Granted Borel is no NFL talent but anybody who knows anything about football knows a QB cannot succeed with no time. Our receivers can't get halfway through their routes before he has 4 defensive hands ripping his jersey. Aaron Rodgers would have gone 6/14 at best today if we subbed him in.

I am also pretty annoyed with anyone bashing the offensive line. They played every week and many gave us 4 tough years.

MrsH

Post by MrsH » December 5th, 2010, 12:25 pm

Bottem line is the kids do read the message boards...so do the parents. As a players mom I can only think of how much it would hurt to see someone bashing my kid. Lets keep in mind that peoples feelings enter into the equation and ask ourselves how we would feel if it was our kid that was being bashed. :nono:

KissMyAg

I wish Guy never pulled his redshirt

Post by KissMyAg » December 5th, 2010, 2:07 pm

I love Borel and love watching him make plays with his feet... he was fun to watch and will be missed by all Aggie fans...

the d-bag who started this thread is not an Aggie fan.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » December 5th, 2010, 2:43 pm

MrsH wrote:Bottem line is the kids do read the message boards...so do the parents. As a players mom I can only think of how much it would hurt to see someone bashing my kid. Lets keep in mind that peoples feelings enter into the equation and ask ourselves how we would feel if it was our kid that was being bashed. :nono:
You're right, but I must say that one Huahulu kid was terrible out there this season! It was almost as if he was invisible, non-existant on the field! :lol: :joking:

But seriously, MrsH is right...and while Borel didn't have a great season, I can't say I'm "glad he's gone". He played his heart out every week* and he wasn't given much to work with out there with all of the injuries this year.
Last edited by MetsJetsAggies on December 5th, 2010, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » December 5th, 2010, 3:07 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:He played his heart out every Sunday ....
That may be true. However, I think his best performance was on a Friday. We had some friends from Seattle with us at the BYU game (cougar fans), and it was amazing watching Borel perform at such a high level against a reasonably good defense. They were very impressed with Borel.

When was the last time a USU QB led us to such a decisive victory over the Cougars?

AggieAthletics

Post by AggieAthletics » December 5th, 2010, 4:25 pm

GeoAg wrote:I'll mis Diondre. He brought me something I hadn't had for awhile...hope. I am excited to see how things will change back there next year.

We'll have a good competition to watch for QB next year. The guys we know are in the mix...

Hart
Higgins
Keeton
Fischer

We have Kennedy coming in for visit who looks good. We know how rarely we have a guy on a visit who doesn't commit. We also might have a couple of other QBs visiting that could open some eyes.
Didn't Fischer graduate? I swear Hislop during the post game for Boise St. said he graduates along with Diondre.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » December 5th, 2010, 5:39 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:He played his heart out every Sunday ....
That may be true. However, I think his best performance was on a Friday. We had some friends from Seattle with us at the BYU game (cougar fans), and it was amazing watching Borel perform at such a high level against a reasonably good defense. They were very impressed with Borel.

When was the last time a USU QB led us to such a decisive victory over the Cougars?
Good point, I should've said week as obviously "Sunday" is wrong anyway lol...in NFL mode.

rockandrolle

Post by rockandrolle » December 5th, 2010, 8:27 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:

I am also pretty annoyed with anyone bashing the offensive line. They played every week and many gave us 4 tough years.

Admirable attempt but I wasn't bashing the OL. They worked hard too, they just couldn't protect him. I appreciate all the effort the guys gave. Diondre's Success depends on the line though, the line's success depends on themselves. You get an A- for effort but not a fair comparison...

Agsman

Post by Agsman » December 5th, 2010, 8:54 pm

rAggie wrote:Again. Diondre Borel. GREAT athlete. GREAT kid. Not a good QB.

I watched him scramble around trying to make "magic" happen too many times when he should have just thrown it away to not make this assessment. The lack of receivers only gets you so far, but great QBs, irrespective of receiver talent, don't throw pick-6's on the first play of games. Great QBs don't have the game-to-game inconsistency that Borel had.

Again. Borel is a PHENOMENAL human and a PHENOMENAL athlete. Just because he's great in those two areas of life doesn't mean that you have to sugar coat things and translate that to him being a great QB. He certainly has had some great performances, but by and large, he was not a great QB for us, at least this season.
Nobody is trying to claim that Borel was a great Qb. I will argue that he was a good QB. If you look at this seasons stats, they don't look good. If you take in his whole body of work for 2 1/2 seasons, I would contest that he was a good Qb. I disagree with the OP and wish that we had Borel back for one more year for a repeat of last season when we had Turbin, Morrison etc. Give the man his weapons and he doesn't try to do too much. He'd let his offense do the work.

Lightbringer

Post by Lightbringer » December 5th, 2010, 9:10 pm

Agsman wrote:
rAggie wrote:Again. Diondre Borel. GREAT athlete. GREAT kid. Not a good QB.

Nobody is trying to claim that Borel was a great Qb. I will argue that he was a good QB. If you look at this seasons stats, they don't look good. If you take in his whole body of work for 2 1/2 seasons, I would contest that he was a good Qb. I disagree with the OP and wish that we had Borel back for one more year for a repeat of last season when we had Turbin, Morrison etc. Give the man his weapons and he doesn't try to do too much. He'd let his offense do the work.

+1

I don't think anybody was trying to make Borel an amazing QB, but I do think that he was a good QB and certainly showed us some great games.

I wonder if at the beginning of next year, we will be wishing that we had Borel for one more year.

NibleyAg

Post by NibleyAg » December 5th, 2010, 9:54 pm

Responding to the original topic, the thing that is disappointing to me is NOT Diondre, rather the fact that the he had so little time all year to make a throw, or gain any confidence in the pocket. Even if our RB's & WR's would have been healthy all year, I am not sure we would have been any better.

WE WILL BE A GOOD TEAM, TILL WE LEARN TO PROTECT OUR QUARTERBACK.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 5th, 2010, 10:11 pm

While I did mention above that I as excited to see what we have at QB next year, I also would love to have the year back for Diondre that Guy wasted. I think this year would have been special with all of our weapons healthy.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 5th, 2010, 10:16 pm

I can guarantee that we will have a time during next year's season were we will be wishing Borel had another year. That will pass once the new QB starts to win some games. Thank you Diondre for everything you did for USU. Good luck in your pursuits in the future.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 6th, 2010, 9:10 am

I like Borel. He is a good kid, represented Utah State well, and is a great athlete. He had a really rough year, which is tough to see for a senior. Best wishes on his future endeavors.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Locked Previous topicNext topic