KAR - PAC2 TV deal close (older news but not sure if I saw posted here)

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ViAggie

KAR - PAC2 TV deal close (older news but not sure if I saw posted here)

Post by ViAggie » May 1st, 2024, 3:40 pm

Kind of Aggie Related as we have an away game with one, but apparently they will be featured on the CW with preferential game times and a nation wide audience: https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/ore ... %20package.

Not sure how I feel about the CW, hey at least it's not a paid channel for most basic subscriptions

This also kind of makes me wonder if they PAC2 will attempt to stay independent of the MWC and just keep a scheduling alliance with us and the WCC for Oly sports. I wouldn't put it past them, and it wouldn't bother me either.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Re: KAR - PAC2 TV deal close

Post by NVAggie » May 1st, 2024, 3:48 pm

Whatever. Let them live on the myth that they can make it happen in a two team conference.

SLB

Re: KAR - PAC2 TV deal close (older news but not sure if I saw posted here)

Post by SLB » May 1st, 2024, 3:59 pm

Both the MWC and the PAC-2 have to make a deal by 2026. Right now, both sides have to play out their current deals. CW and the PAC2 made a deal which may have opened the door for both the MWC and PAC-2 for long-term large media deal with the CW.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » May 1st, 2024, 4:09 pm

I think the Pac2 will be excluded from NCAA post season play after 2 years unless they get their conference numbers up. Or something like that.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 1st, 2024, 4:19 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
May 1st, 2024, 4:09 pm
I think the Pac2 will be excluded from NCAA post season play after 2 years unless they get their conference numbers up. Or something like that.
They could stay in the WCC for Oly Sports and go semi-indy for FB with a scheduling alliance with the MWC. It's weird but it allows them to keep the PAC name for FB at least. Or they'll merge w/the MWC, who knows? :noidea:

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » May 1st, 2024, 4:30 pm

ViAggie wrote:
May 1st, 2024, 4:19 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
They could stay in the WCC for Oly Sports and go semi-indy for FB with a scheduling alliance with the MWC. It's weird but it allows them to keep the PAC name for FB at least. Or they'll merge w/the MWC, who knows? :noidea:
What would be the benefit of the MWC to accommodate them, so they can have an independent football schedule?

I mean, I guess the MWC sort of did that for BYU. But that's because Boise and USU wanted the games. But why Wazzu and Oregon State?

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » May 1st, 2024, 4:51 pm

Tetonkatest wrote:
May 1st, 2024, 4:30 pm
ViAggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
What would be the benefit of the MWC to accommodate them, so they can have an independent football schedule?

I mean, I guess the MWC sort of did that for BYU. But that's because Boise and USU wanted the games. But why Wazzu and Oregon State?
This is a good question. There is a reason that we'll accomodate them. Because they're paying us. Now, we have two options. 1. Get paid and continue to accomodate their spoiled attitude. Or 2. blackball them and get them to face reality where they need us.

Unfortunately, I believe we'll choose door #1. What we all need is that door #2 is chosen so that we can finally work together and not as two different "conferences". Afterall, we're all in the same shoes, it's just that they don't want to face the reality because they're spoiled.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 1st, 2024, 5:36 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
May 1st, 2024, 4:51 pm
Tetonkatest wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

This is a good question. There is a reason that we'll accomodate them. Because they're paying us. Now, we have two options. 1. Get paid and continue to accomodate their spoiled attitude. Or 2. blackball them and get them to face reality where they need us.

Unfortunately, I believe we'll choose door #1. What we all need is that door #2 is chosen so that we can finally work together and not as two different "conferences". Afterall, we're all in the same shoes, it's just that they don't want to face the reality because they're spoiled.
YUP there it is^^^^^^ We accommodated ybu because it was good for our bottom line like it or not. The Cougs and the Beavs might be in far away land, but they do have good fan bases that pack stadiums and get a TV audience. It makes sense for us to continue to play them even if it's an indy-type of schedule for them. I get that they wouldn't have a conference championship game, nor would they have automatic access to our bowl games, but is that really such a bad thing for them? It kind of worked out for ybu all the years they were indy, granted the had to play is some pretty lame bowl games that were kind of far off, but they still got bowl games. I would imagine it won't be hard for them to weasel in ours anyway. I bet they could easily get a Hawaii Bowl if Hawaii isn't eligible, like ybu was able to do one year.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 1st, 2024, 7:24 pm

Adding schools that can compete at our level is good for the MWC. I think they’re better than the average in the mwc and therefore will help raise the competition level, fan support and funding of the mwc.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » May 2nd, 2024, 6:38 pm

And I hear they are paying a lot per game - much more than the usual money game. I don't mind taking their money since we would be playing a money game anyway. (Please let me know if that is not the case.)

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » May 3rd, 2024, 7:21 am

The CW? Is the football TV slot before or after Dawson's Creek reruns?
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 2):
NVAggieflying_scotsman2.0

dogie

Post by dogie » May 3rd, 2024, 7:55 am

treesap32 wrote:
May 3rd, 2024, 7:21 am
Hey,, take it easy, Tree. Dawson, Joey, Pacey and Jen helped me work through some difficult times 25 years ago. Especially Jen.
These users thanked the author dogie for the post:
ViAggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 3rd, 2024, 8:13 am

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 3rd, 2024, 8:47 am

dogie wrote:
May 3rd, 2024, 7:55 am
treesap32 wrote:
May 3rd, 2024, 7:21 am
Hey,, take it easy, Tree. Dawson, Joey, Pacey and Jen helped me work through some difficult times 25 years ago. Especially Jen.

Theme song before every game

These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
Zaggie07

dogie

Post by dogie » May 3rd, 2024, 10:07 am

Paula Cole could perform at halftime of the Gilmore Bowl. The CW could leverage some of their franchises for this football deal.

Dawson’s Creek was originally on the WB, but it’s now streaming for free on CW.
These users thanked the author dogie for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 3rd, 2024, 1:15 pm

dogie wrote:
May 3rd, 2024, 10:07 am
Paula Cole could perform at halftime of the Gilmore Bowl. The CW could leverage some of their franchises for this football deal.

Dawson’s Creek was originally on the WB, but it’s now streaming for free on CW.
The CW is the result of a merger between the WB and UPN. CBS effectively owned the WB so they just took the C from CBS and added it to the Warner to make it the "CW" or essentially "Columbia-Warner"

LKGates

Post by LKGates » May 3rd, 2024, 8:39 pm

ViAggie wrote:
May 1st, 2024, 5:36 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
Tetonkatest wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

YUP there it is^^^^^^ We accommodated ybu because it was good for our bottom line like it or not. The Cougs and the Beavs might be in far away land, but they do have good fan bases that pack stadiums and get a TV audience. It makes sense for us to continue to play them even if it's an indy-type of schedule for them. I get that they wouldn't have a conference championship game, nor would they have automatic access to our bowl games, but is that really such a bad thing for them? It kind of worked out for ybu all the years they were indy, granted the had to play is some pretty lame bowl games that were kind of far off, but they still got bowl games. I would imagine it won't be hard for them to weasel in ours anyway. I bet they could easily get a Hawaii Bowl if Hawaii isn't eligible, like ybu was able to do one year.
I'm going to respectfully disagree. If we hold a gun to their heads and force them to join the conference, they will always resent it. They'll be like SDSU and Boise, only worse. On the other hand, their current situation is not sustainable in the long term. They have to actually be in a conference of at least 8 teams to get the benefits of conference membership in the NCAA, like NCAA basketball autobids, etc. If we don't force it, eventually they will ask to join. Their situation is not like the BYU situation with the MWC. The landscape has changed.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 4th, 2024, 2:29 pm

LKGates wrote:
May 3rd, 2024, 8:39 pm
ViAggie wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
Tetonkatest wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

I'm going to respectfully disagree. If we hold a gun to their heads and force them to join the conference, they will always resent it. They'll be like SDSU and Boise, only worse. On the other hand, their current situation is not sustainable in the long term. They have to actually be in a conference of at least 8 teams to get the benefits of conference membership in the NCAA, like NCAA basketball autobids, etc. If we don't force it, eventually they will ask to join. Their situation is not like the BYU situation with the MWC. The landscape has changed.
If they agree to join up with us it's going to include a whole host of caveats including the right for them to bail w/o a moments notice w/o fee or penalty, etc. Bank on that much.

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » May 4th, 2024, 4:55 pm

ViAggie wrote:
LKGates wrote:
May 3rd, 2024, 8:39 pm
ViAggie wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
Tetonkatest wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:

If they agree to join up with us it's going to include a whole host of caveats including the right for them to bail w/o a moments notice w/o fee or penalty, etc. Bank on that much.
Then we just say no thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author pilotaggie for the post:
ustate98

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

Full

Post by Full » May 6th, 2024, 4:09 pm

pilotaggie wrote:
May 4th, 2024, 4:55 pm
ViAggie wrote:If they agree to join up with us it's going to include a whole host of caveats including the right for them to bail w/o a moments notice w/o fee or penalty, etc. Bank on that much.
Then we just say no thanks.
I agree with this. If the PAC-2 have demands, walk away and wish them well. If the PAC-2 want a preview of their future they can look to Temple, UConn, and USF as members of a BCS conference that evaporated. The only concern I have is the SDSU, Boise, and Colorado State’s of the world might want to create a best of the rest conference. I don’t think it’s likely because I don’t think there is enough money to make up for increased expenses.
These users thanked the author Full for the post (total 2):
ViAggiepilotaggie

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic