Losing is part of the problem

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

Losing is part of the problem

Post by SLB » April 22nd, 2024, 2:21 pm

Last season 6-7
The 6 wins- 2-10 Nevada, 3-8 Idaho State (FCS), 3-9 UConn (by a game winning blocked XP), 4-8 New Mexico (in overtime), 4-8 San Diego State (in overtime), and 5-7 Colorado State
The 7 losses- 7-6 San Jose State, 7-6 Georgia State (3-5 in the Sun Belt), 8-6 Boise State, 9-4 Air Force, 9-4 Fresno State (with their backup QB), 11-2 James Madison, and 10-4 Iowa
The MWC teams that we didn't play: 9-4 UNLV, 9-4 Wyoming, and 5-8 Hawaii
Colorado State, Nevada, San Diego State, and New Mexico were the bottom 4 teams in the MWC standings, so 3 of those schools had coaching changes.
Scoring margin in FBS games +/- was -80
Scoring margin in FBS games without overtime games +/- was -91
First quarter scoring margin in all the games +/- was -81
Bowl game was us losing to Georgia State 45-22
The season before that was also 6-7
The 6 wins- 2-10 New Mexico, 3-10 Hawaii, 3-9 Colorado State, 7-5 San Jose State, 10-3 Air Force, and 6-7 UConn
The 7 losses- Weber State, 5-7 UNLV, 7-6 Wyoming, 7-6 Memphis, 8-5 BYU, 10-4 Boise State, and 11-2 Alabama
The MWC teams that we didn't play 10-4 Fresno State, 7-6 San Diego State, and 2-10 Nevada
Bowl game was us losing to Memphis 10-38

Aggie1990

Re: Losing is part of the problem

Post by Aggie1990 » April 22nd, 2024, 3:18 pm

Losing, apathy towards excellence, and celebrating when down huge are not exactly the marks required for success. Accountability brings results, I feel that was lost after 2021.

:utah: :state:

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » April 22nd, 2024, 4:10 pm

So... what you're saying is that we haven't been great the past two season? I'm glad you brought this up.

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Post by shoresy » April 22nd, 2024, 4:45 pm

Actually, losing is the entire problem
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post (total 2):
HootBustaMcNutt

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 22nd, 2024, 4:47 pm

The issue quite simply gentlemen, we need to win more. I know it’s shocking, desperate even, but this is where we’re at.

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

RogerAndersen

Yes.. Losing the problem

Post by RogerAndersen » April 22nd, 2024, 5:11 pm

I think that due to Anderson's immediate success in season 1, his seat has not really been getting warm as it probably should have been these past couple of years.

Is it just me? Is anyone else feeling a sense of urgency for getting things turned around within the program pretty pronto?

BSU, SDSU, CSU, FSU, UNLV or Nevada might have moved on by now. Not to mention the incoming PAC NW twins.

That is more than half of the league, that many would argue, would have already pulled the trigger.

If we can't make significant progress this season, when will we?
These users thanked the author RogerAndersen for the post:
SLB

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 22nd, 2024, 6:03 pm

I mean, true. If USU never lost a game things would objectively be better

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » April 22nd, 2024, 6:08 pm

Look at the B-Ball team. Won a lot yet… college sports is dead.

#hornsup!

SLB

Re: Yes.. Losing the problem

Post by SLB » April 22nd, 2024, 9:27 pm

RogerAndersen wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 5:11 pm
I think that due to Anderson's immediate success in season 1, his seat has not really been getting warm as it probably should have been these past couple of years.

Is it just me? Is anyone else feeling a sense of urgency for getting things turned around within the program pretty pronto?

BSU, SDSU, CSU, FSU, UNLV or Nevada might have moved on by now. Not to mention the incoming PAC NW twins.

That is more than half of the league, that many would argue, would have already pulled the trigger.

It feels stuck in the mud after the 2021 season. The 6-7 seasons are also low end 6-7 seasons as shown above.
It is really hard to do worse than 6-7 at Utah State since we have talent and face some weak teams.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » April 22nd, 2024, 9:48 pm

I can’t imagine what BSU is going to do to us this year. My goodness they look so good on paper and I am not sure they have lost anyone. Crazy how their new coach and program can keep kids year in and year out.

DreadPirateRoberts

Post by DreadPirateRoberts » April 22nd, 2024, 9:56 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 9:48 pm
I can’t imagine what BSU is going to do to us this year. My goodness they look so good on paper and I am not sure they have lost anyone. Crazy how their new coach and program can keep kids year in and year out.
It's a lot easier when you're the only game in town. The closest thing that BSU has to competition in their market is BYU.

The Dread Pirate Roberts leaves no survivors.

PIGSKINAGGIE

Post by PIGSKINAGGIE » April 23rd, 2024, 2:37 am

SLB wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 9:27 pm
RogerAndersen wrote:

It feels stuck in the mud after the 2021 season. The 6-7 seasons are also low end 6-7 seasons as shown above.
It is really hard to do worse than 6-7 at Utah State since we have talent and face some weak teams.
It’s not that hard to do worse than 6-7. We were really good at it until the last dozen years. For decades even. The young guns around here don’t remember the glory days of Chris Pella and Brent Guy, Arslanian, etc. The last couple years aren’t where we want to be, but it can definitely get worse. We’d all like to win 9 or 10 games every year. It’s not hard to look back and see a couple more wins each of the last couple years that were left on the field, if things were handled differently. Can things be better, definitely, and they can be worse too. This $h!t show we have nowadays with unlimited transfers and paying the players, doesn’t create a very good environment for the level that we are at. We’re not one of the big boys and we’re not in the big sky or lower so we are going to have constant turmoil and turnover for the most part. It sucks, but all we can do is try to get as much enjoyment out of the games as we can. Until we hit the end of the rope.
These users thanked the author PIGSKINAGGIE for the post:
JSHarvey

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » April 23rd, 2024, 8:29 am

PIGSKINAGGIE wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 2:37 am
SLB wrote:
April 22nd, 2024, 9:27 pm
RogerAndersen wrote:

It’s not that hard to do worse than 6-7. We were really good at it until the last dozen years. For decades even. The young guns around here don’t remember the glory days of Chris Pella and Brent Guy, Arslanian, etc. The last couple years aren’t where we want to be, but it can definitely get worse. We’d all like to win 9 or 10 games every year. It’s not hard to look back and see a couple more wins each of the last couple years that were left on the field, if things were handled differently. Can things be better, definitely, and they can be worse too. This $h!t show we have nowadays with unlimited transfers and paying the players, doesn’t create a very good environment for the level that we are at. We’re not one of the big boys and we’re not in the big sky or lower so we are going to have constant turmoil and turnover for the most part. It sucks, but all we can do is try to get as much enjoyment out of the games as we can. Until we hit the end of the rope.
I think Blake is who he is. That is a coach who will continually produce a good enough offense to win a lot of games although with some on field discipline issues provided he has a passable defense. If he has a dynamic D coordinator who can produce TOs and get a few stops he can win 8-9 games with the Aggies schedule. All of this comes with the caveat of whether the fans are willing to pay players enough to at least keep USU somewhere in the middle of the pack in the NIL. That is the elephant in the room, not the coach.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 3):
HootAggieUprising50PIGSKINAGGIE

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic