Le’gone

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Re: Legas…gone

Post by tipitup » April 23rd, 2024, 12:05 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 12:01 pm
2004AG wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 11:46 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:09 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 9:34 am
Someone better tell The Hurd that hanging over the railings and berating players is worthy of expulsion from the Spectrum.

I watched on television as Tim Tebow, Urban Meyer and company, get booed at home during a pi$$ poor performance just one year removed from a national championship year while Tebow was the reigning Heisman Trophy winner.

Fans have always booed and yelled at players and coaches when they play and coach poorly. It isn't just a USU thingy, it's a sports thingy and I would bet my mortgage that what happened at the Maverick that night is pretty normal across the country, especially in the SEC or one of the Big "whatever" conferences.

These players are professionals now. Along with an education and housing, they are being paid to play. With that pay comes expectations. They need to learn to buck up and take the criticism and if that criticism forces them to leave, they are in for a rude awakening because it will happen somewhere else if they shyt the bed.
I've seen plenty of games in big-time football stadiums. They don't allow fans to hang over the railings and scream at players.

There's a difference between booing because of bad performance and singling out a player/acting like a maniac. Some members of Aggie Nation crossed that line at the WSU game. Don't get mad at Blake for it.

If don't agree with that, then get used to more players entering into the portal and being stuck with mediocre teams every year.
Fitzgerarld, Booth, Switzer and Legas hitting the portal had ZERO to do with booing during the Weber State game. They left because they were offered more money to leave.

If you've been to many big-time football stadiums, you will have seen fans yelling and booing. That's how sports work. Same with message boards.

We are a really tame fan base compared to most.
Coop was NOT offered money to leave.
does he have a landing spot? just curious where he may end up, who is showing interest

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 23rd, 2024, 12:07 pm

aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Someone better tell The Hurd that hanging over the railings and berating players is worthy of expulsion from the Spectrum.

I watched on television as Tim Tebow, Urban Meyer and company, get booed at home during a pi$$ poor performance just one year removed from a national championship year while Tebow was the reigning Heisman Trophy winner.

Fans have always booed and yelled at players and coaches when they play and coach poorly. It isn't just a USU thingy, it's a sports thingy and I would bet my mortgage that what happened at the Maverick that night is pretty normal across the country, especially in the SEC or one of the Big "whatever" conferences.

These players are professionals now. Along with an education and housing, they are being paid to play. With that pay comes expectations. They need to learn to buck up and take the criticism and if that criticism forces them to leave, they are in for a rude awakening because it will happen somewhere else if they shyt the bed.
I've seen plenty of games in big-time football stadiums. They don't allow fans to hang over the railings and scream at players.

There's a difference between booing because of bad performance and singling out a player/acting like a maniac. Some members of Aggie Nation crossed that line at the WSU game. Don't get mad at Blake for it.

If don't agree with that, then get used to more players entering into the portal and being stuck with mediocre teams every year.
Fitzgerarld, Booth, Switzer and Legas hitting the portal had ZERO to do with booing during the Weber State game. They left because they were offered more money to leave.

If you've been to many big-time football stadiums, you will have seen fans yelling and booing. That's how sports work. Same with message boards.

Yes, he left for playing time.

Either way, nobody has left because the fans booed during the beatdown Weber gave us.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 23rd, 2024, 12:10 pm

2004AG wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 12:07 pm
aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Yes, he left for playing time.

Either way, nobody has left because the fans booed during the beatdown Weber gave us.
Did someone say WEBER?

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » April 23rd, 2024, 12:37 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 11:15 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 11:03 am
hickaggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:58 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:48 am
hickaggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:43 am
hickaggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:43 am
bluegrouse wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:36 am
tipitup wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:35 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

I do have a question on this, wasn't the team on the west side at this time, and if so, the students are not on the west side. So who was it that was leaning over the railings. the "old fogies" on the west side?
Yes. It wasn’t students.
We all acknowledge that FBS is professional football now. Do you ever see an NFL coach worry about the fans conduct unless they directly affect a play with objects on the field or a penalty. That is for the administration, security, and campus police and there are remedies each can take against the offenders. I mainly have defended Blake but I am still blown away that was even on his mind after his football team got absolutely (I can't express myself without swearing)-whipped by Weber State.
Let's look at it from Blake's position. Yes, the loss was inexcusable. But if you were the coach and you felt that some of the fans were attacking your players in that way, wouldn't you say something? If someone singled out your kid, or a player that you have grown to have a close relationship with, would you not say something?

I blame Blake for the loss and how they showed up for the Alabama game, but I'm not going to blame him for standing up for his players.
On that I disagree. Blake is not coaching a team of college kids sacrificing their time to play for their future alma mater. He is a highly paid coach of a professional football team. His job is to win games and not deflect to fan behavior in public. There are multiple other employees in the organization and Blake can go to them in private about specific fan behavior concerns and they should address it a professional way.
Except at that time, NIL was new. Our collective wasn't formed yet. They weren't professional athletes and very few, if any were getting paid.

And even if they were, he absolutely has the right to call out inexcusable fan behavior.

Agree to disagree.
Obviously some fans crossed the line, but they were very few. I'd rather the University deal with them and release a statement and the coach focus on improving the product on the field.
I think that's fair, I personally am not going fault Blake for sticking up for his players, but I respect your opinion.

As long as we don't ever lose to Weber or have fans act that way again then it's all water under the bridge.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » April 23rd, 2024, 12:45 pm

2004AG wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

You're right that's not the reason they left. I do believe that it did play a role for other players like Byron Vaughns.

Overall, I'll agree that we are a very good fan base and tame compared to most. However, there were fans that crossed the line on that day. When I see people on the board disregard that or say that "we're paying these players, they just need to suck it up and not be soft, etc..." I'm worried that that behavior will happen again.

If that type of fan behavior becomes a habit, I promise you it will have a negative effect on our program. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope I misinterpreted posts on this board, but the last thing I want to see is USU football to be negatively impacted by its fans. We already are hanging on a thread. We can't afford to have more setbacks then needed.

That is the message I'm trying to convey with my posts and that's why I'm so opinionated on the matter.

Does that make sense?

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 23rd, 2024, 12:58 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 12:45 pm
2004AG wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

You're right that's not the reason they left. I do believe that it did play a role for other players like Byron Vaughns.

Overall, I'll agree that we are a very good fan base and tame compared to most. However, there were fans that crossed the line on that day. When I see people on the board disregard that or say that "we're paying these players, they just need to suck it up and not be soft, etc..." I'm worried that that behavior will happen again.

If that type of fan behavior becomes a habit, I promise you it will have a negative effect on our program. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope I misinterpreted posts on this board, but the last thing I want to see is USU football to be negatively impacted by its fans. We already are hanging on a thread. We can't afford to have more setbacks then needed.

That is the message I'm trying to convey with my posts and that's why I'm so opinionated on the matter.

Does that make sense?
Absolutely I do.

Here's where I differentiate a little.

1- Blake was a dick. Blake is welcome to and should stick up for his players. What Blake did crossed the line. What Blake needs to realize is the boos were directed at him, not Bonner. Blake gets paid a lot of money to handle a little mild heat. Blake should have taken the blame and Blake should have made is clear to everybody, including Bonner than they were booing him and not LB.

2- Saying stuff to players is really bad form. Nobody should say anything to individual players. I'm fine kicking those fans out. General booing is fine.

3- Any bets Vaughns heard booing at Baylor last year when they went 3-9 and lost to Texas State at home? If players don't like booing, there isn't a stadium in the country where they wouldn't get booed for losing to a bad team.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » April 23rd, 2024, 1:05 pm

2004AG wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 12:58 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Does that make sense?
Absolutely I do.

1- Blake was a dick. Blake is welcome to and should stick up for his players. What Blake did crossed the line. What Blake needs to realize is the boos were directed at him, not Bonner. Blake gets paid a lot of money to handle a little mild heat. Blake should have taken the blame and Blake should have made is clear to everybody, including Bonner than they were booing him and not LB.

2- Saying stuff to players is really bad form. Nobody should say anything to individual players. I'm fine kicking those fans out. General booing is fine.

3- Any bets Vaughns heard booing at Baylor last year when they went 3-9 and lost to Texas State at home? If players don't like booing, there isn't a stadium in the country where they wouldn't get booed for losing to a bad team.
I could see what you're saying about Blake misunderstanding the boos for Bonner vs him.

Although I personally will leave the game before booing my own team, I'll agree that booing a team's performance to express displeasure is fine.

If I remember correctly Vaughns was one of the players who was the one getting yelled at the fan hanging over the rails. Which pissed him off. I might be wrong here though.

Either way, I think we can all agree that booing performance is fair game. Singling out players or berating them over the rails is not. If we are all on the same page here, I don't think there's anything else to discuss.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
2004AG

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » April 23rd, 2024, 1:39 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Yeah, you've never seen fans yell at players on the sideline except for one night in Logan, UT in September 2022. Just wow.

If a player puts out 50% effort during one of the worst losses in program history and leaves because he's booed, then good riddance.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiJSHarvey

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 23rd, 2024, 2:05 pm

Some quotes from Blake during the presser. I think it is obvious he thought the boos were for Bonner. Quite frankly, he is an idiot to think that way. That is on him for misinterpreting the boos. I think it also shows a consistent behavior towards Cooper Legas. I hope Cooper finds a coach that truly believes in him and his ability. Blake obviously never did. To be honest, Blake showed his true colors that night as well. I haven't been a fan of his since the beginnings of that season. The Alabama surrender and then the Weber debacle were bad looks. I didn't even waste my time watching those games. I bought season tickets that year and went to most of the games (luckily I didn't waste my money on the Weber game). I'm many hours away so going to games is not a quick trip for me. I haven't bought them since that season. NIL keeps me from committing this season and probably into the future. I'm sure I will still pick a game or two to attend. I'm just not interested in Blake's teams nor the NIL world.

"Well, I don't know if people are going to want to hear this but that's the same quarterback that won a Mountain West Conference championship last year, the first one ever at this university," Anderson said. "That's coming off a knee injury in less than nine months, and he's not the only person making mistakes.

"So it's real easy to sit in the stands and boo, and I want nothing better than Cooper Legas to have a great career when his time has come, but he had the opportunity to win that job in the offseason and he did not. He's a great No. 2, and he's gonna be a really good No. 1. But right now, Logan Bonner's the starting quarterback; he deserves that opportunity, and he also deserves respect.

"I don't know how to say that any nicer than a lot of our fan base showed true colors today, and it was embarrassing."

"(Bonner) did help us win the conference title last year, and it ain't been that long ago," Anderson said. "I wish people would remember that and pull for him, not against him.

"I'm not gonna be swayed by people in the crowd. We're going to pull together on the sideline, as a matter of fact, because apparently that's what we got."
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13Aglicious

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » April 23rd, 2024, 2:20 pm

I do not think this situation is very complicated. For coaches and players alike...

Whether you are a player or a coach, if you don't like getting booed, don't get blown out at home by lower division teams that have come to to your place for a payday.

I've seen 80,000 crazed University of Nebraska fans give an impromptu standing ovation to a Utah State team who came to Lincoln, NE for the express purpose of providing a "tune-up" game for the Huskers.

Utah State played hard. Played to win. Left it all on the field.

In the end, Nebraska just had too much speed, too much athletic ability, and too much corn-fed beef in the trenches.

But it was a fun game to watch, and I imagine, a fun game to play in. Whichever team you suited up for.

Fast forward to a recent trip to Alabama. I'm sure, the final outcome was really no more or less in doubt, but from our kids to our coaches, we approached the preparation and the game as if it was over long before we even got on the plane.

So can we really be worried about someone getting their feelings hurt?

Play as hard and as well as you can to win the game. Just let that be our driving mantra. No matter if it is a FCS opponent at home or the defending national champs on the road.

Don't get sad if the crowd reacts negatively when we trot out a severely hobbled veteran that can barely walk, rather than hand the reins to the next man up and let him try to go save the day against our FCS neighbor to the south.

I hope Legas does not transfer. If he does choose to, I would not blame him one bit.
These users thanked the author RogerAndersen for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 23rd, 2024, 2:38 pm

RogerAndersen wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 2:20 pm
I do not think this situation is very complicated. For coaches and players alike...

Whether you are a player or a coach, if you don't like getting booed, don't get blown out at home by lower division teams that have come to to your place for a payday.

I've seen 80,000 crazed University of Nebraska fans give an impromptu standing ovation to a Utah State team who came to Lincoln, NE for the express purpose of providing a "tune-up" game for the Huskers.

Utah State played hard. Played to win. Left it all on the field.

In the end, Nebraska just had too much speed, too much athletic ability, and too much corn-fed beef in the trenches.

But it was a fun game to watch, and I imagine, a fun game to play in. Whichever team you suited up for.

Fast forward to a recent trip to Alabama. I'm sure, the final outcome was really no more or less in doubt, but from our kids to our coaches, we approached the preparation and the game as if it was over long before we even got on the plane.

So can we really be worried about someone getting their feelings hurt?

Play as hard and as well as you can to win the game. Just let that be our driving mantra. No matter if it is a FCS opponent at home or the defending national champs on the road.

Don't get sad if the crowd reacts negatively when we trot out a severely hobbled veteran that can barely walk, rather than hand the reins to the next man up and let him try to go save the day against our FCS neighbor to the south.

I hope Legas does not transfer. If he does choose to, I would not blame him one bit.
Well, the Legas ship has sailed. Hence the existence of this thread. He's in the portal and it is football policy that there is no return once you enter. Legas knew that when he put his name in.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » April 23rd, 2024, 3:02 pm

2004AG wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Does that make sense?
Absolutely I do.

I think we are mixing 2 things up here. I haven't heard anyone whoever was causing a scene, yelling insults at individual players, and acting like asshats. It sounds like the AD and security cracked down on that.

On the other hand, there is no need for a coach to go out of his way to address that in the presser. If I recall correctly it was the booing that was called out by Blake and he believed it was directed toward Bonner and not him. It was in extremely poor taste IMO to deflect to the fan booing when your team mailed it in and was dominated by an FCS opponent at home.

Ultimately with everything Blake had been through at that point, and his obvious connection and affection for Bonner I think he deserves a pass, and he did finally make the right decision and the team improved. But the fact that he didn't have his team in a mode to play their best football either in a body bag game on one extreme and a local FBS opponent on the other extreme, and then deflected blame on the fans who paid his salary that day really rubbed me wrong.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 23rd, 2024, 3:04 pm

NVAggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 2:05 pm
Some quotes from Blake during the presser. I think it is obvious he thought the boos were for Bonner. Quite frankly, he is an idiot to think that way. That is on him for misinterpreting the boos. I think it also shows a consistent behavior towards Cooper Legas. I hope Cooper finds a coach that truly believes in him and his ability. Blake obviously never did. To be honest, Blake showed his true colors that night as well. I haven't been a fan of his since the beginnings of that season. The Alabama surrender and then the Weber debacle were bad looks. I didn't even waste my time watching those games. I bought season tickets that year and went to most of the games (luckily I didn't waste my money on the Weber game). I'm many hours away so going to games is not a quick trip for me. I haven't bought them since that season. NIL keeps me from committing this season and probably into the future. I'm sure I will still pick a game or two to attend. I'm just not interested in Blake's teams nor the NIL world.

"Well, I don't know if people are going to want to hear this but that's the same quarterback that won a Mountain West Conference championship last year, the first one ever at this university," Anderson said. "That's coming off a knee injury in less than nine months, and he's not the only person making mistakes.

"So it's real easy to sit in the stands and boo, and I want nothing better than Cooper Legas to have a great career when his time has come, but he had the opportunity to win that job in the offseason and he did not. He's a great No. 2, and he's gonna be a really good No. 1. But right now, Logan Bonner's the starting quarterback; he deserves that opportunity, and he also deserves respect.

"I don't know how to say that any nicer than a lot of our fan base showed true colors today, and it was embarrassing."

"(Bonner) did help us win the conference title last year, and it ain't been that long ago," Anderson said. "I wish people would remember that and pull for him, not against him.

"I'm not gonna be swayed by people in the crowd. We're going to pull together on the sideline, as a matter of fact, because apparently that's what we got."
I mean there’s an element of booing Bonner. Why are we booing, because we are putting Bonner back in. I was never big on Bonner. I probably would have Boo’d. I agree the intention was to boo the decision.

There were allegations that there were people leaning over the railing say truly terrible things. I’ve seen some pretty terrible things about Bonner/Blake here.

It was an emotional loss because of how embarrassing it was. I think there should be a lot of hindsight and regret to go around. Which is why I have been harping on moving on. We’ve played worse against worse fcs teams. Remember when we lucked into a win against SUU, filmed on security cameras because of the renovations?

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 23rd, 2024, 3:38 pm

I was at that SUU game. Thank you to our punt returner, Mr. Rodriguez. That was a trash season as well, only buoyed up by a win against Boise State. Wells lost me that season and the next one as well. I couldn't handle it after the UNM game ending in 2015, but 2016 put me over the edge.

For the Weber debacle, I wasn't at the game. I ended up staying home that weekend. I'm really glad I saved my time and money. I was so upset after the first drive of halftime that I turned it off and took a drive up into the mountains. I can't speak for the behavior of the fans on the rails. I'm sure there was some rough stuff said. Blake talked about the booing of Bonner. The reality is that we were all booing him for sending out a hobbled Bonner after having a rough game with three interceptions. Blake hasn't made up for any of that as he continues to deflect blame for mediocrity.

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » April 24th, 2024, 12:28 pm

Yep. Excuse the fans for hoping for/cheering for/expecting more than getting whacked at home by our FCS neighbor.

In 50 years of watching Aggie Football pretty faithfully, I have seen a few pretty ugly coaching moments.

None dramatically worse than trotting Bonner out to play in the 2nd half against Weber State when he barely could walk.

We just don't seem to be on the right track. But it just musta been the fans fault that we got killed by Weber State.

I mean, surely, neither coaches nor players should bear any responsibility. Shame on us as fans.
trevordude

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » April 24th, 2024, 1:49 pm

My guess is that Bronco Mendenhall will try and get him to New Mexico
These users thanked the author Tetonkatest for the post:
SLB

SLB

Post by SLB » April 24th, 2024, 1:53 pm

Tetonkatest wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 1:49 pm
My guess is that Bronco Mendenhall will try and get him to New Mexico
I 2nd this projection.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 24th, 2024, 2:41 pm

UNM would be a good landing spot for a USU QB who was essentially shown the front door.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » April 24th, 2024, 3:24 pm

Well, call me a traitor.

If Cooper ends up playing at UNM, I would cheer for him, except when playing Utah State.
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 24th, 2024, 3:51 pm

RogerAndersen wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 3:24 pm
Well, call me a traitor.

If Cooper ends up playing at UNM, I would cheer for him, except when playing Utah State.
It would be hard to cheer for Bronco, but I wish Legas the best.

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » April 24th, 2024, 4:04 pm

Yeah. No on Bronco, but I can cheer for Legas.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » April 24th, 2024, 4:26 pm

RogerAndersen wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 4:04 pm
Yeah. No on Bronco, but I can cheer for Legas.
I will gladly cheer for coop to take New Mexico to their highest heights, such as 6-6 with a 21-17 bowl loss to UAB with two hundred people in the crowd.
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in Hawaiitrevordude

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 24th, 2024, 7:45 pm

I can cheer for guys like Coop all day long. Guys like Switzer can suck it

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » April 24th, 2024, 8:20 pm

hickaggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 3:02 pm
2004AG wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Does that make sense?
Absolutely I do.

I think we are mixing 2 things up here. I haven't heard anyone whoever was causing a scene, yelling insults at individual players, and acting like asshats. It sounds like the AD and security cracked down on that.

On the other hand, there is no need for a coach to go out of his way to address that in the presser. If I recall correctly it was the booing that was called out by Blake and he believed it was directed toward Bonner and not him. It was in extremely poor taste IMO to deflect to the fan booing when your team mailed it in and was dominated by an FCS opponent at home.

Ultimately with everything Blake had been through at that point, and his obvious connection and affection for Bonner I think he deserves a pass, and he did finally make the right decision and the team improved. But the fact that he didn't have his team in a mode to play their best football either in a body bag game on one extreme and a local FBS opponent on the other extreme, and then deflected blame on the fans who paid his salary that day really rubbed me wrong.
Booing certainly doesn't help people stay.

#hornsup!

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » April 24th, 2024, 9:20 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
April 24th, 2024, 8:20 pm
hickaggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Does that make sense?
Absolutely I do.

Neither does cheering. Large sums of money seems to help though.

Now that NIL is here, the coaches and players better grow some thick skin. The donors have every right to expect maximum effort in EVERY game.
These users thanked the author Slim80 for the post (total 3):
Section_L_AggieFloridaAggie133rdGenAggie

Newfan
Has thanked: 0

Daughter says Coop is headed to New Mexico State.

Post by Newfan » April 25th, 2024, 9:20 am

Daughter has known Coop’s family for many years.
She really believed he was headed to BYU. Not even an offer. She said the NMSU coach spent 3 hours at the Legas home recruiting him. Beyond that she didn’t inquire.
These users thanked the author Newfan for the post:
Aggie84025

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » April 25th, 2024, 3:07 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Does that make sense?
Absolutely I do.

You're right. We should pat them on the back and pay them more money after back-to-back losing seasons.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » April 26th, 2024, 1:25 pm

I’m really starting to wonder if Legas was the root cause for the departure of so many after him. Reality is Petras is better. Losing out doesn’t mean you need to throw a tantrum. Anyone know if there is anything to that?

#hornsup!

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » April 26th, 2024, 1:33 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
April 25th, 2024, 3:07 pm
Blue Sage wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Does that make sense?
Absolutely I do.

You're right. We should pat them on the back and pay them more money after back-to-back losing seasons.
Maybe this year we should boo the players and see if it helps with retention of players. Obviously our NIL fund isn’t working. Honestly with the new transfer rules I’m thinking of transferring out as a donor /booster all together. This isn’t a fun fan experience the whole get your B-Ball and Football team gutted year in and year out. Probably approaching the point of gutting the fan base too. Ultimately sports must yield to fan experience. Maybe the best thing we do is to stop supporting the new dawn of “college” sports and just let it die.
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post:
FloridaAggie13

#hornsup!

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 26th, 2024, 1:56 pm

In the world of NIL, these guys, particularly starters, are no longer amateurs and as such get much less bubble wrap.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
Ahbye

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » April 26th, 2024, 3:21 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
April 26th, 2024, 1:25 pm
I’m really starting to wonder if Legas was the root cause for the departure of so many after him. Reality is Petras is better. Losing out doesn’t mean you need to throw a tantrum. Anyone know if there is anything to that?
I think he's making a mistake because the back up in Blake's system is always going to get playing time. Just too many freerushers and bad blocking. He probably will lose some NIL too.

That said, while this system sucks for fans it is a boon to the kids who just love football and want to find a place to get on the field when its clear that they aren't cut out for a particular level. Can't blame Legas if he wants to go FCS to start his last year.

Agreed with all of your other frustrations. Not too much to get excited about in college football with this system. Its not only a worse fan experience as far as any emotional investment but it creates for a worse product on the field. Never can blame the players for taking advantage of the flexibility and the $$$ though.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » April 26th, 2024, 5:04 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
April 26th, 2024, 1:33 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Blue Sage wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Does that make sense?
Absolutely I do.

Maybe this year we should boo the players and see if it helps with retention of players. Obviously our NIL fund isn’t working. Honestly with the new transfer rules I’m thinking of transferring out as a donor /booster all together. This isn’t a fun fan experience the whole get your B-Ball and Football team gutted year in and year out. Probably approaching the point of gutting the fan base too. Ultimately sports must yield to fan experience. Maybe the best thing we do is to stop supporting the new dawn of “college” sports and just let it die.
Despite growing up as a rabid fan of the NFL, MLB and NBA, so much so that I earned a degree with the intention of being a sports journalist, I'm no longer a fan of professional sports. I only watched the last SB because I was stuck in an Atlanta hotel room, traveling for work and it was pouring freezing rain. So I watched. Until Sam caught on with the Cavaliers, I can't remember the last time I pulled up an NBA box score. My apathy in this realm having begun over a decade ago, I don't know who won the SB, NBA or MLB championships going back several years. And I don't care. The few glimpses I get of NBA highlights merely remind me of why I didn't watch the all-star games, even at the height of my fandom.

I loved college sports. Until now. This isn't fun or even interesting to me. But it's what the players, coaches, universities and most of all the tv stations want, so it's what we get. They are professionals now. They can be treated as such and that means booing an 18 yr old kid who is sukking as$ on Saturday afternoon. No more, "hey, cut him a break. He's a student athlete." Nope, he's a professional and he wanted it this way.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
BearLakeMonster

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » April 26th, 2024, 6:57 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
April 26th, 2024, 5:04 pm
Blue Sage wrote:
April 26th, 2024, 1:33 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Blue Sage wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Does that make sense?
Absolutely I do.

Despite growing up as a rabid fan of the NFL, MLB and NBA, so much so that I earned a degree with the intention of being a sports journalist, I'm no longer a fan of professional sports. I only watched the last SB because I was stuck in an Atlanta hotel room, traveling for work and it was pouring freezing rain. So I watched. Until Sam caught on with the Cavaliers, I can't remember the last time I pulled up an NBA box score. My apathy in this realm having begun over a decade ago, I don't know who won the SB, NBA or MLB championships going back several years. And I don't care. The few glimpses I get of NBA highlights merely remind me of why I didn't watch the all-star games, even at the height of my fandom.

I loved college sports. Until now. This isn't fun or even interesting to me. But it's what the players, coaches, universities and most of all the tv stations want, so it's what we get. They are professionals now. They can be treated as such and that means booing an 18 yr old kid who is sukking as$ on Saturday afternoon. No more, "hey, cut him a break. He's a student athlete." Nope, he's a professional and he wanted it this way.
You're not wrong...
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post:
FloridaAggie13

#hornsup!

coolag

Post by coolag » April 26th, 2024, 7:42 pm

Poor sad multi-millionaire Saint Blake. And poor sad full ride scholarship players of 2022. Someone yelled at me and said mean things. When Blake's record continues to worsen who will be at fault? The boo birds? The portal? Injuries? Everything and everyone except the paid coaches and players? And I may be the opposite of most here but I can get over the Weber State loss. We lost to Idaho State at home under Dennehy for hells sake. They were a very good FCS team. I'm much more upset and concerned about the bowl game disaster last year. That was just ridiculously sad and gave me no hope for the future with Saint Blake. But as always.....GO AGGIES!

Regulator of Class

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 26th, 2024, 8:42 pm

coolag wrote:
April 26th, 2024, 7:42 pm
I'm much more upset and concerned about the bowl game disaster last year. That was just ridiculously sad and gave me no hope for the future with Saint Blake.
The bowl game disaster was sad and it gave me no hope moving forward with Joe Cauthen as our DC. But that was just another episode of our defense looking like it had all season long, even showing cracks in the games we won cause the competition was worse. And given how Blake was adamant about bringing Cauthen back, it was a good thing the bowl game ended up being the debacle it was forcing the change. I will never forget at one point in the game when Georgia State got a false start and the announcers mentioned that the 5 yards would make 3rd down harder, and I was thinking that us having a competent DC would do ALOT more than a false start penalty would to make 3rd down harder.

I certainly have more hope after going through the Georgia State debacle but having it by enough to get Blake to fire Cauthen and hire Dreiling, than I would if we had won only cause Georgia State sucked worse than us like the case with all the teams we did beat, and were going into this season with Cauthen as the DC again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic