Le’gone

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: Legas…gone

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 23rd, 2024, 9:54 am

I'd hope the players were just as upset after that embarrassing performance as the fans were. Getting beat down by 28 to little brother at home shouldn't be acceptable to anyone.

The Warriors have obviously been the best team in the NBA over the last decade and their fans still booed them this past season at times because of poor play. When they asked Steph Curry about it, he didn't attack the fans and bring up all the success they had. He took responsibility and said; 'I'm booing myself, booing our team in my head."

I like Blake, but that was an inexcusable loss and attacking the fans only made it worse.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
2004AG

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Post by shoresy » April 23rd, 2024, 10:04 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 9:54 am
I'd hope the players were just as upset after that embarrassing performance as the fans were. Getting beat down by 28 to little brother at home shouldn't be acceptable to anyone.

The Warriors have obviously been the best team in the NBA over the last decade and their fans still booed them this past season at times because of poor play. When they asked Steph Curry about it, he didn't attack the fans and bring up all the success they had. He took responsibility and said; 'I'm booing myself, booing our team in my head."

I like Blake, but that was an inexcusable loss and attacking the fans only made it worse.
Excellent point. If anybody on that sideline didn't understand and even agree with the frustration of those booing, they don't belong on the sideline in the first place.

This wasn't the fans turning on a team/coach/QB because of a singular poor performance. This was fans being upset at one of the single worst and most embarrassing losses in a 100+ year program history.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in Hawaii2004AG

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » April 23rd, 2024, 10:09 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 9:34 am
Someone better tell The Hurd that hanging over the railings and berating players is worthy of expulsion from the Spectrum.

I watched on television as Tim Tebow, Urban Meyer and company, get booed at home during a pi$$ poor performance just one year removed from a national championship year while Tebow was the reigning Heisman Trophy winner.

Fans have always booed and yelled at players and coaches when they play and coach poorly. It isn't just a USU thingy, it's a sports thingy and I would bet my mortgage that what happened at the Maverick that night is pretty normal across the country, especially in the SEC or one of the Big "whatever" conferences.

These players are professionals now. Along with an education and housing, they are being paid to play. With that pay comes expectations. They need to learn to buck up and take the criticism and if that criticism forces them to leave, they are in for a rude awakening because it will happen somewhere else if they shyt the bed.
I've seen plenty of games in big-time football stadiums. They don't allow fans to hang over the railings and scream at players.

There's a difference between booing because of bad performance and singling out a player/acting like a maniac. Some members of Aggie Nation crossed that line at the WSU game. Don't get mad at Blake for it.

If don't agree with that, then get used to more players entering into the portal and being stuck with mediocre teams every year.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » April 23rd, 2024, 10:11 am

2004AG wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 9:23 am
Don’t get your (I can't express myself without swearing) kicked by Weber state and nobody gets booed.

Problem solved Blake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Act like a civilized human being at a football game and the coach won't call you out.

Problem solved.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » April 23rd, 2024, 10:11 am

shoresy wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:04 am

Excellent point. If anybody on that sideline didn't understand and even agree with the frustration of those booing, they don't belong on the sideline in the first place.

This wasn't the fans turning on a team/coach/QB because of a singular poor performance. This was fans being upset at one of the single worst and most embarrassing losses in a 100+ year program history.
I honestly don't get why an athlete or coach would get their feelings hurt by fans booing the team when they don't perform. I guess I've never played in front of a crowd like that so that's probably why I don't get it, but as a player I was way more pissed at myself for missing a play or getting beat and for letting down teammates than worrying about anything else. I would hope I would welcome the boos as deserved motivation.

Its a different generation for sure.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiPIGSKINAGGIE

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » April 23rd, 2024, 10:13 am

hickaggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:11 am
shoresy wrote:

I honestly don't get why an athlete or coach would get their feelings hurt by fans booing the team when they don't perform. I guess I've never played in front of a crowd like that so that's probably why I don't get it, but as a player I was way more pissed at myself for missing a play or getting beat and for letting down teammates than worrying about anything else. I would hope I would welcome the boos as deserved motivation.

I don't think the players or even Blake were mad that fans were booing the performance of that game. They felt like some fans crossed a line and that's what made them mad. Quite frankly, I don't blame them.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » April 23rd, 2024, 10:16 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:13 am
hickaggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:11 am
shoresy wrote:

I don't think the players or even Blake were mad that fans were booing the performance of that game. They felt like some fans crossed a line and that's what made them mad. Quite frankly, I don't blame them.
I guess. Its just that the behavior of the fans would be the last thing on my mind after embarrassing myself like that. I get that he was defending his players but still...

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » April 23rd, 2024, 10:16 am

Look, I know I'm not going to convince the members of this board that Blake wasn't in the wrong for calling out the fans. Fine, I'll agree to disagree.

I just don't understand how we can pay our players so little compared to their peers, then expect them to put up with a fan base that treats the worse than others.

Can't we all agree that there are boundaries for fan behavior and we as a fan base should respect that?

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » April 23rd, 2024, 10:20 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:16 am
Look, I know I'm not going to convince the members of this board that Blake wasn't in the wrong for calling out the fans. Fine, I'll agree to disagree.

I just don't understand how we can pay our players so little compared to their peers, then expect them to put up with a fan base that treats the worse than others.

Can't we all agree that there are boundaries for fan behavior and we as a fan base should respect that?
Do you think we pay less than Weber State? I think we are competitive with our peers.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 23rd, 2024, 10:25 am

The fans in the west stands behind the team acting like spoiled children and screaming at our players were WAY out of line. It was embarrassing and Anderson rightfully called them out. Buying a ticket or donating to the university doesn’t entitle you to act like a total assh0le. Grow up and have a little emotional self-control.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
AggieUprising50

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » April 23rd, 2024, 10:30 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:

Do you really think Aggie fans are worse than others..lol. You need to get out a bit. They are 2 separate issues and I sort of get the substantive point. That with NIL and transfer rules you need to not only pay but also coddle these kids. I certainly wouldn't pay to support NIL under the current system, and cheering for spoiled mercenaries who worry about the fans more than their own performance and dance around like idiots when they make a routine tackle 10 yards downfield while down 4 scores isn't so appealing either. But to each his own.

To be clear I think Athletes should be able to earn their market rate and to be able to be where they are comfortable and coddled if they want but we need to see college football for what it is. Pro football in a semi-pro rule world. Doesn't make for good football or a team that's easy to cheer for and support.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 23rd, 2024, 10:31 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:

Don't think Aggie fans treat the players worse than others. Most players have spoken glowingly about how much they love Aggie fans. Huge reason Falslev, Martinez and the Big Fish are staying when they could make more money elsewhere.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
AGinNEIowa

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Post by shoresy » April 23rd, 2024, 10:32 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:09 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Someone better tell The Hurd that hanging over the railings and berating players is worthy of expulsion from the Spectrum.

I watched on television as Tim Tebow, Urban Meyer and company, get booed at home during a pi$$ poor performance just one year removed from a national championship year while Tebow was the reigning Heisman Trophy winner.

Fans have always booed and yelled at players and coaches when they play and coach poorly. It isn't just a USU thingy, it's a sports thingy and I would bet my mortgage that what happened at the Maverick that night is pretty normal across the country, especially in the SEC or one of the Big "whatever" conferences.

These players are professionals now. Along with an education and housing, they are being paid to play. With that pay comes expectations. They need to learn to buck up and take the criticism and if that criticism forces them to leave, they are in for a rude awakening because it will happen somewhere else if they shyt the bed.
I've seen plenty of games in big-time football stadiums. They don't allow fans to hang over the railings and scream at players.

There's a difference between booing because of bad performance and singling out a player/acting like a maniac. Some members of Aggie Nation crossed that line at the WSU game. Don't get mad at Blake for it.

If don't agree with that, then get used to more players entering into the portal and being stuck with mediocre teams every year.
Right. The reason we're stuck in this G5 portal hell right now is because our fans got mad when the team lost by 28 to an FCS team. That's the reason.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiAGinNEIowa

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » April 23rd, 2024, 10:34 am

bluegrouse wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:25 am
The fans in the west stands behind the team acting like spoiled children and screaming at our players were WAY out of line. It was embarrassing and Anderson rightfully called them out. Buying a ticket or donating to the university doesn’t entitle you to act like a total assh0le. Grow up and have a little emotional self-control.
That's two separate issues. A few fans acting like dumb idiots vs a coach deflecting from an abysmal performance. There will always be idiotic fans and if there were personal insults from a few I get the coach addressing it in a different forum apart from a press conference after getting utterly embarrassed by a so called lesser foe.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » April 23rd, 2024, 10:35 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:

I do have a question on this, wasn't the team on the west side at this time, and if so, the students are not on the west side. So who was it that was leaning over the railings. the "old fogies" on the west side?

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 23rd, 2024, 10:36 am

tipitup wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:35 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

I do have a question on this, wasn't the team on the west side at this time, and if so, the students are not on the west side. So who was it that was leaning over the railings. the "old fogies" on the west side?
Yes. It wasn’t students.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 23rd, 2024, 10:38 am

Find me an Aggie fan that doesn’t think Bonner is a legend.

Players aren’t leaving here because of the fans. They aren’t. Our fan base may be small, but we show a lot of love to our players.
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiFloridaAggie13

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » April 23rd, 2024, 10:40 am

April 23rd, 2024, 10:31 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:

Don't think Aggie fans treat the players worse than others. Most players have spoken glowingly about how much they love Aggie fans. Huge reason Falslev, Martinez and the Big Fish are staying when they could make more money elsewhere.
If fans crossed the line with them in the spectrum, they would probably leave too.

If anything, that's a good point to show how being a supportive fan base can keep players around even when they are offered more money elsewhere.

And being a supportive fan base means going crazy when we win, but not acting like entitled idiots when we lose.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 23rd, 2024, 10:41 am

hickaggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:34 am
bluegrouse wrote:
That's two separate issues. A few fans acting like dumb idiots vs a coach deflecting from an abysmal performance. There will always be idiotic fans and if there were personal insults from a few I get the coach addressing it in a different forum apart from a press conference after getting utterly embarrassed by a so called lesser foe.
Maybe he didn’t handle it perfectly but he was completely justified in calling it out. I get why people think he was deflecting but I honestly don’t think he was. I think he was rightfully upset at the treatment his guys got and people interpreted it as complaining about the generalized booing.

BTW, I don’t think players now are leaving for an incident that happened a while ago. I think the university put an end to that behavior right after that game.
Last edited by bluegrouse on April 23rd, 2024, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
AggieUprising50

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » April 23rd, 2024, 10:42 am

shoresy wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:32 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Right. The reason we're stuck in this G5 portal hell right now is because our fans got mad when the team lost by 28 to an FCS team. That's the reason.
Maybe not the only reason, but if we as a fan base don't come back down earth and realize we can't treat our players like dirt, it definitely will be a contributing factor.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » April 23rd, 2024, 10:43 am

bluegrouse wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:36 am
tipitup wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Yes. It wasn’t students.
We all acknowledge that FBS is professional football now. Do you ever see an NFL worry about the fans conduct unless they directly affect a play with objects on the field or a penalty. That is for the administration, security, and campus police and their are remedies each can take against the offenders. I mainly have defended Blake but I am still blown away that was even on his mind after his football team got absolutely (I can't express myself without swearing)-whipped by Weber State.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » April 23rd, 2024, 10:43 am

hickaggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:43 am
bluegrouse wrote:
tipitup wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Yes. It wasn’t students.
We all acknowledge that FBS is professional football now. Do you ever see an NFL coach worry about the fans conduct unless they directly affect a play with objects on the field or a penalty. That is for the administration, security, and campus police and there are remedies each can take against the offenders. I mainly have defended Blake but I am still blown away that was even on his mind after his football team got absolutely (I can't express myself without swearing)-whipped by Weber State.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » April 23rd, 2024, 10:44 am

bluegrouse wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:41 am
hickaggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:34 am
bluegrouse wrote:
Maybe he didn’t handle it perfectly but he was completely justified in calling it out. I get why people think he was deflecting but I honestly don’t think he was. I think he was rightfully upset at the treatment his guys got and people interpreted it as complaining about the generalized booing.
Dead on. In his interview later in the week he took accountability for the loss and called out the fans that were out of line.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 23rd, 2024, 10:45 am

hickaggie wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
tipitup wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Yes. It wasn’t students.
We all acknowledge that FBS is professional football now. Do you ever see an NFL worry about the fans conduct unless they directly affect a play with objects on the field or a penalty. That is for the administration, security, and campus police and their are remedies each can take against the offenders. I mainly have defended Blake but I am still blown away that was even on his mind after his football team got absolutely (I can't express myself without swearing)-whipped by Weber State.
It was egregious and the university put a stop to it with staff the very next game - as they should have.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post (total 2):
hickaggieAggieUprising50

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » April 23rd, 2024, 10:48 am

hickaggie wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
tipitup wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Yes. It wasn’t students.
We all acknowledge that FBS is professional football now. Do you ever see an NFL coach worry about the fans conduct unless they directly affect a play with objects on the field or a penalty. That is for the administration, security, and campus police and there are remedies each can take against the offenders. I mainly have defended Blake but I am still blown away that was even on his mind after his football team got absolutely (I can't express myself without swearing)-whipped by Weber State.
Let's look at it from Blake's position. Yes, the loss was inexcusable. But if you were the coach and you felt that some of the fans were attacking your players in that way, wouldn't you say something? If someone singled out your kid, or a player that you have grown to have a close relationship with, would you not say something?

I blame Blake for the loss and how they showed up for the Alabama game, but I'm not going to blame him for standing up for his players.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 23rd, 2024, 10:52 am

bluegrouse wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:45 am
hickaggie wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
tipitup wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Yes. It wasn’t students.
It was egregious and the university put a stop to it with staff the very next game - as they should have.
At the following game, security was certainly tighter. Fans were getting in trouble for yelling mild stuff directed at the refs.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » April 23rd, 2024, 10:58 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:48 am
hickaggie wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
tipitup wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Yes. It wasn’t students.
Let's look at it from Blake's position. Yes, the loss was inexcusable. But if you were the coach and you felt that some of the fans were attacking your players in that way, wouldn't you say something? If someone singled out your kid, or a player that you have grown to have a close relationship with, would you not say something?

I blame Blake for the loss and how they showed up for the Alabama game, but I'm not going to blame him for standing up for his players.
On that I disagree. Blake is not coaching a team of college kids sacrificing their time to play for their future alma mater. He is a highly paid coach of a professional football team. His job is to win games and not deflect to fan behavior in public. There are multiple other employees in the organization and Blake can go to them in private about specific fan behavior concerns and they should address it a professional way.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 3):
Aggie formerly in Hawaii2004AGFloridaAggie13

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » April 23rd, 2024, 11:03 am

hickaggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:58 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
tipitup wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Yes. It wasn’t students.

On that I disagree. Blake is not coaching a team of college kids sacrificing their time to play for their future alma mater. He is a highly paid coach of a professional football team. His job is to win games and not deflect to fan behavior in public. There are multiple other employees in the organization and Blake can go to them in private about specific fan behavior concerns and they should address it a professional way.
Except at that time, NIL was new. Our collective wasn't formed yet. They weren't professional athletes and very few, if any were getting paid.

And even if they were, he absolutely has the right to call out inexcusable fan behavior.

Agree to disagree.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » April 23rd, 2024, 11:06 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 11:03 am
hickaggie wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
tipitup wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Yes. It wasn’t students.

Except at that time, NIL was new. Our collective wasn't formed yet. They weren't professional athletes and very few, if any were getting paid.

And even if they were, he absolutely has the right to call out inexcusable fan behavior.

Agree to disagree.
Yeah I get your point. It just wasn't the right time and forum for it. It certainly came across as deflecting and blaming the whole fan base for booing. He could have just as easily addressed the problem to the right security people in private.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » April 23rd, 2024, 11:07 am

hickaggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 11:06 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
tipitup wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Yes. It wasn’t students.

Agree to disagree.
Yeah I get your point. It just wasn't the right time and forum for it. It certainly came across as deflecting and blaming the whole fan base for booing. He could have just as easily addressed the problem to the right security people in private.
I hear you.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 23rd, 2024, 11:15 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
tipitup wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Yes. It wasn’t students.

Agree to disagree.
Obviously some fans crossed the line, but they were very few. I'd rather the University deal with them and release a statement and the coach focus on improving the product on the field.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 23rd, 2024, 11:46 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Fitzgerarld, Booth, Switzer and Legas hitting the portal had ZERO to do with booing during the Weber State game. They left because they were offered more money to leave.

If you've been to many big-time football stadiums, you will have seen fans yelling and booing. That's how sports work. Same with message boards.

We are a really tame fan base compared to most.
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
FloridaAggie13

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 23rd, 2024, 11:49 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:42 am
shoresy wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Maybe not the only reason, but if we as a fan base don't come back down earth and realize we can't treat our players like dirt, it definitely will be a contributing factor.

If players can't stand the heat of boos, college football might not be the place for them.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 23rd, 2024, 11:54 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 10:42 am
shoresy wrote:
AggieUprising50 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

We don’t treat our players like dirt. We just don’t.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 23rd, 2024, 12:01 pm

2004AG wrote:
April 23rd, 2024, 11:46 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

Fitzgerarld, Booth, Switzer and Legas hitting the portal had ZERO to do with booing during the Weber State game. They left because they were offered more money to leave.

If you've been to many big-time football stadiums, you will have seen fans yelling and booing. That's how sports work. Same with message boards.

We are a really tame fan base compared to most.
Coop was NOT offered money to leave.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic