Comparing the scrimmage to the one at this time last year

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

Comparing the scrimmage to the one at this time last year

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 6th, 2024, 9:59 pm

Here's an article about today's scrimmage
https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2024/4 ... rnoon.aspx

compared to one about the scrimmage we had at this point in spring ball last year.

https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2023/4 ... rnoon.aspx

You decide if the comparison sounds hopeful we will be better this year or not.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
Hoot

JSHarvey

Re: Comparing the scrimmage to the one at this time last year

Post by JSHarvey » April 9th, 2024, 3:41 pm

Slightly better? To be honest I'd be way more interested in reading the opinions of the knowledgeable guys on this board than my own musings/reactions to the article.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 9th, 2024, 4:45 pm

I didn't see the last scrimmage (the one before that) but it's fair to say that Petras could be an epic QB for us. Those that haven't seen him play are going to remember Jordan Love when he throws because of his arm strength. It looks like he's throwing short balls well too. We're missing a couple more play makers at receiver though.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
JSHarvey

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » April 9th, 2024, 7:55 pm

I have only been to 3 practices but here is my take. Last year, our offense might have racked up a few more yards, probably due to our defense's challenges. This season, Spencer Petras significantly ups the competition for the QB spot. Great long and short ball. Serviceable runner. Beyond stats, there's a notable uplift in energy across the team. This year’s focus seems to shift towards fortifying our lines. The enhanced competitiveness and vigor hint at a much improved MWC season, especially on the defensive side.
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post (total 4):
Aggie84025AgTimeRogerAndersenJSHarvey

#hornsup!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 10th, 2024, 10:04 pm

I’m not sure what conclusion OP is suggesting we should draw from comparing the two write-ups. :noidea:

I can tell you I wasn’t super optimistic going into last season and the team wildly outperformed my expectations to just make a bowl game.

I think we’ll actually be a much better team this year, but my guess is our overall record will not improve at all because we super duper overscheduled this year. There’s honestly no reason a football program like ours should “schedule up.”

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 10th, 2024, 10:57 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
April 10th, 2024, 10:04 pm
I’m not sure what conclusion OP is suggesting we should draw from comparing the two write-ups. :noidea:

I can tell you I wasn’t super optimistic going into last season and the team wildly outperformed my expectations to just make a bowl game.

I think we’ll actually be a much better team this year, but my guess is our overall record will not improve at all because we super duper overscheduled this year. There’s honestly no reason a football program like ours should “schedule up.”
The interesting thing is we could probably have an improved team but a similar record with this schedule. Or at least an improved team could still net a 6-6 regular season record with the improvement coming in winning the bowl game which would likely be against another 6-6 opponent. Sadly, even losing a bowl game in a back and forth affair, or by outgaining the opponent but having poor redzone execution would be an improvement.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic