Spring Ball

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
DreadPirateRoberts

Spring Ball

Post by DreadPirateRoberts » April 3rd, 2024, 1:41 pm

I haven't been able to make it up to any of the practices. What are the observations of those that have been there? How does the Defense look? Any surprises?

The Dread Pirate Roberts leaves no survivors.

Hoot

Re: Spring Ball

Post by Hoot » April 3rd, 2024, 1:43 pm

Our starting QB’s last name will end with “as”
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post:
Blue Sage

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 3rd, 2024, 2:09 pm

DreadPirateRoberts wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 1:41 pm
I haven't been able to make it up to any of the practices. What are the observations of those that have been there? How does the Defense look? Any surprises?
I'll have a mid-spring depth chart up later tonight or early tomorrow morning.

Petras is rapidly closing the gap on Legas. Petras has a Levi Williams arm without the Levi Williams inaccuracy. It's hard to impress me and I've been impressed.

Our running game will be stellar once again. I honestly think that Booth and Faison could end up in the NFL in the right situation.

There is an added emphasis on the running back screen game that I haven't seen before. Think back to the days of success this play had with Kerywnn Williams (despite him being slow afoot) and Joe Hill. The play looks a lot like that.

I've been impressed with WR Grant Page so far. I'm encouraged by his development. Josh Sterzer is in his 9th season of eligibility (I kid Josh!!), really though he seems to be moving much better than he did last year, I don't think his knee is giving him much trouble anymore and he is more mobile and catching the ball well. Kyrese White looks great in the slot. I talked to Emmett and he thinks that the game has finally slowed down for Kyrese. No more thinking and a lot more playing and it shows.

The passing game seems to have added some additional checkdowns and not always trying to rely on going verticle as fun as it is to watch the deep ball be completed.

On Monday the offense really took it to the defense during team work. The emphasis was on working from the 40-yard line and the offense punched in multiple touchdowns.

The defensive tackles have taken kind of a beating with several of the top guys missing time this week.

Shaun Dolac is going to be a beast in the middle of our defense.

The secondary ruled last week with the defensive backs giving several of our quarterbacks fits and coming up with a handful of turnovers.

I've seen an interesting wrinkle defensively that is a 3-2-6. With two safeties, two cornerbacks, a nickel, and a rover. We have more than enough defensive backs to make that work. I'm guessing the issues with the success of last year's opponents on 3rd and long have led to that being implemented.
Last edited by aggies22 on April 3rd, 2024, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 21):
slcaggDreadPirateRobertsEngineeringAggieHootAussieAggieDadtetonaggievegasaggietrevordudeAngusAg3rdGenAggie and 11 more users

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 3rd, 2024, 2:12 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 2:09 pm

Petras is rapidly closing the gap on Legas. Petras has a Levi Williams arm without the Levi Williams inaccuracy. It's hard to impress me and I've been impressed.

Our running game will be stellar once again. I honestly think that Booth and Faison could end up in the NFL in the right situation.

There is an added emphasis on the running back screen game that I haven't seen before. Think back to the days of success this play had with Kerywnn Williams (despite him being slow afoot) and Joe Hill. The play looks a lot like that.

I've been impressed with WR Grant Page so far. I'm encouraged by his development. Josh Sterzer is in his 9th season of eligibility (I kid Josh!!), really though he seems to be moving much better than he did last year, I don't think his knee is giving him much trouble anymore and he is more mobile and catching the ball well. Kyrese White looks great in the slot. I talked to Emmitt and he thinks that the game has finally slowed down for Kyrese. No more thinking and a lot more playing and it shows.

The passing game seems to have added some additional checkdowns and not always trying to rely on going verticle as fun as it is to watch the deep ball be completed.

On Monday the offense really took it to the defense during team work. The emphasis was on working from the 40-yard line and the offense punched in multiple touchdowns.

The defensive tackles have taken kind of a beating with several of the top guys missing time this week.

The secondary ruled last week with the defensive backs giving several of our quarterbacks fits and coming up with a handful of turnovers.

I've seen an interesting wrinkle defensively that is a 3-2-6. With two safeties, two cornerbacks, a nickel, and a rover. We have more than enough defensive backs to make that work. I'm guessing the issues with the success of last year's opponents on 3rd and long have led to that being implemented.
Blake was drooling over Petras in his interview with Scotty yesterday. Thinking he will likely be the starter

DreadPirateRoberts

Post by DreadPirateRoberts » April 3rd, 2024, 2:24 pm

aggies22 wrote:

I've been impressed with WR Grant Page so far. I'm encouraged by his development. Josh Sterzer is in his 9th season of eligibility (I kid Josh!!), really though he seems to be moving much better than he did last year, I don't think his knee is giving him much trouble anymore and he is more mobile and catching the ball well. Kyrese White looks great in the slot. I talked to Emmitt and he thinks that the game has finally slowed down for Kyrese. No more thinking and a lot more playing and it shows.

This is great. I appreciate the time you put into this kind of analysis. I'm going to try to make it to the final Spring Scrimmage with the family.
These users thanked the author DreadPirateRoberts for the post:
aggies22

The Dread Pirate Roberts leaves no survivors.

RogerAndersen

Coop

Post by RogerAndersen » April 3rd, 2024, 4:41 pm

Yep, for better or worse, it does not seem like Coop has ever been BA's initial preference. Not sure why that is.

Perhaps it is arm strength. Perhaps it is stature.

At the end of the day, I doubt there is a person on the team that could beat Coop in a man on man wrestling match. Not one.

But maybe it is just ok. I fully expect for another QB to get the initial nod and muddle through a tough OOC slate, then Coop will ride in on his Blue Bull with the assignment to salvage the season.
These users thanked the author RogerAndersen for the post (total 3):
3rdGenAggieHootflying_scotsman2.0

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 3rd, 2024, 6:51 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 2:12 pm
aggies22 wrote:

Blake was drooling over Petras in his interview with Scotty yesterday. Thinking he will likely be the starter
To be honest it is encouraging that Petras is playing well and pushing Cooper. We all know what Cooper is capable of so to hear Aggies22 give that praise of Petras only cements what Blake was stating on the radio that the dude has an NFL caliber arm. We have not had a season where 1 QB made it through the whole season without missing time due to injury since Love so having 2 capable QB's is paramount and exciting.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » April 3rd, 2024, 11:45 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 2:12 pm
aggies22 wrote:

I have also been drooling over Petras, it's because he is good. Some of his throws though! Right now Legas is doing very well too. I will tell you I think it's going to be a tough call at least so far. IF Petras starts it's not because Blake hates Legas and IF Legas starts it's not because Blake has blind loyalty. We are very lucky to have two high-performing QBs and I am excited to see either one take the field. I would not be surprised either way.

#hornsup!

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 4th, 2024, 6:56 am

Our QB management is going to be a disaster. Again.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 17th, 2024, 9:57 pm

dyedblue wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 6:56 am
Our QB management is going to be a disaster. Again.
Definitely not a fan of losing legas.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic