Todays college football climate

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Todays college football climate

Post by slcagg » March 7th, 2024, 5:01 am

As we had discussed on here at his retirement, players entitlement and the nil/player environment was a reason why saban retired.

He doesn’t say it directly, but today’s system is not in a good place.

These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 5):
aggies22AggieUprising50Aggies1888AggieFBObsessionFloridaAggie13

AggieUprising50

Re: Todays college football climate

Post by AggieUprising50 » March 7th, 2024, 7:39 am

College football needs to figure this out. Every professional sport has structure when it comes to contracts and commitment to the team you're playing for.

I personally would like to see there be a cap to NIL. I'd propose having tiers with how much players can get paid. Something along the lines of incoming freshmen can only make $2K max. Once a player has participated in a game $5K. Starters can make a max of $25K per year. All-conference players $50K. All-American $250K. Heisman or other award winners can be uncapped.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 7th, 2024, 8:53 am

I just hope they can get control before they ruin everything.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 7th, 2024, 9:06 am

"this doesn't work anymore" - sad AF

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » March 7th, 2024, 9:06 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
March 7th, 2024, 7:39 am
College football needs to figure this out. Every professional sport has structure when it comes to contracts and commitment to the team you're playing for.

I personally would like to see there be a cap to NIL. I'd propose having tiers with how much players can get paid. Something along the lines of incoming freshmen can only make $2K max. Once a player has participated in a game $5K. Starters can make a max of $25K per year. All-conference players $50K. All-American $250K. Heisman or other award winners can be uncapped.
The amount of legislation and organization that it would take to something like that is difficult and still would result in something very different from what you propose. First you would need a league or leagues of college teams to apply for anti-trust exemptions from Congress. The league would have to have an NFL type organization that encompassed media rights, (along with its accompanying union of course). Contracts could never be capped at anything below minimum wage and the ridiculous low salaries you would be talking about giving the money involved at SEC and Big 10 levels would mean that this type of tier would have to be organized by schools in the mid G5 levels. There would need to be contracts with players for official licensing endorsements.

In the end though it wouldn't change a thing. NIL (Name, Image, and Likeness) is a right that any individual has to capitalize and earn from his own name image and likeness apart from using teams and league identification. You can't ultimately stop that or try or successfully punish players and private boosters from using that in even the least opaque manners.

After all of that you run smack dab into title 9. Absent its repeal (ha ha) any salary caps tied to a University are going to have to at the very least be equal between men and women's sports. That raises the question as to why the football and men's basketball programs at any FBS university would have any incentive to remain an official part of school athletics.

The only solution to the chaos are teams breaking off as separate semi-pro leagues with like minded schools and then getting either separate anti-trust exemptions or having a governing entity that gets the exemption with 3-4 minor league conferences that can have contract, transfer, and interleague play rules between the conferences. It would probably look something along the lines of an SEC/Big 10 alliance as an NFL feeder with those conferences picking taking Notre Dame and a few other Big 12/ACC schools and dumping their dead weight. A second semi-pro league of the Big 12/ACC leftovers and SEC Big ten pariahs combined with 2-3 G5s that make demographic sense (Comparable to baseball Double AA). Finally you would have a conference of whichever G5s and a few upper FCS schools think that revenue will be enough to be worth the hassle to have a lower minor league.

Teams would contract with the Universities for name and facility rental rights which Universities would then use to try and keep their Olympic sports afloat.

The FBS teams that don't want to play the game could essentially agree to give schollies and decide to pay for some living costs and essentially have their own league for players who can't make money at the lower levels and essentially be FCS schools. Booster NIL would still exist at this level and probably create somewhat of a pecking order like we have now albeit at a much lower level. For it to function properly it would also probably require some national legislation that would give it the ability to enforce transfer rules and TV/Champion revenue sharing although it could probably hobble along as the crumbs of the current system.

In the end market value will sort out the chaos. There is too much value in the South and Big 10 markets for it not to get worked out in some form as I have described. What will be left of the rest college football before that happens and what market there will really be for the mid and lower tiers probably depends on how soon things get figured out because I think if this goes on another 10-20 years there is going to be a disassociation of fans from a lot of lower and mid level college programs that will create a pretty small market for lower level semi pro college associated leagues. Just look at how attempts to create both competing and lower level pro leagues for post college players has worked out. If the college football tradition further erodes before this happens who knows how it will work out for most schools.

I certainly wouldn't be sad if the teams like USU, Wyoming exc. that I follow just chose the FCS route in these scenarios, but if they can hang in there and are willing and able to be part of a lower tier semi-pro league, it certainly would be far preferable to the mess that is now. With salary caps, uniform enforceable contracts, and agreed upon processes for contract buy-outs when players want to move to a higher league, at least there will some stability and interest to see teams tangently associated with the university to compete.

Something eventually happening along these lines is inevitable. Too much money left on the table for it not to happen. What college athletics looks like in its chaotic wake is a different question?
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22AgTime

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 7th, 2024, 11:58 am

I'm looking forward to the new NCAA game where I have to build my own NIL program in order to keep my players and recruit new ones.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
trevordudeflying_scotsman2.0pilotaggieaggiesdidwhat

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 7th, 2024, 12:00 pm

ViAggie wrote:
March 7th, 2024, 9:06 am
"this doesn't work anymore" - sad AF
Amen!
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
ViAggie

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » March 7th, 2024, 2:41 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 7th, 2024, 11:58 am
I'm looking forward to the new NCAA game where I have to build my own NIL program in order to keep my players and recruit new ones.
Most of the game play is boozing donors, offering game trips, hiring peppy relations girls , etc
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post:
aggies22

Not sent from Tapatalk

Hoot

Post by Hoot » March 7th, 2024, 4:29 pm

trevordude wrote:
March 7th, 2024, 2:41 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Most of the game play is boozing donors, offering game trips, hiring peppy relations girls , etc
I played a demo of it cause my dad works at Microsoft and I can confirm that it is very realistic that way. I got fired for making a joke with the punch line “take your dick out of that boys (I can't express myself without swearing)!”
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post (total 2):
trevordudeaggies22

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 7th, 2024, 5:03 pm

Hoot wrote:
March 7th, 2024, 4:29 pm
trevordude wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
I played a demo of it cause my dad works at Microsoft and I can confirm that it is very realistic that way. I got fired for making a joke with the punch line “take your dick out of that boys (I can't express myself without swearing)!”
You didn't learn from real-life mistakes made by someone else? I get the feeling you're a learn-the-hard-way kind of dude. Haha!!

Hoot

Post by Hoot » March 7th, 2024, 5:51 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 7th, 2024, 5:03 pm
Hoot wrote:
March 7th, 2024, 4:29 pm
trevordude wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
You didn't learn from real-life mistakes made by someone else? I get the feeling you're a learn-the-hard-way kind of dude. Haha!!
Wait you’re supposed to learn from mistakes?

These users thanked the author Hoot for the post:
aggies22

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » March 10th, 2024, 9:17 am

slcagg wrote:
March 7th, 2024, 5:01 am
As we had discussed on here at his retirement, players entitlement and the nil/player environment was a reason why saban retired.

It's interesting because teams like Alabama have been winning throughout history by paying players under the table and taking every sneaky advantage they can to become the powerhouses that they are. It hasn't worked for a long time for the smaller schools. How could anyone not know that this is where things were going, and what it was all doing to the game.

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

FromLItoLogan

Post by FromLItoLogan » March 10th, 2024, 9:50 am

AGNUMPI wrote:
March 10th, 2024, 9:17 am
slcagg wrote:
March 7th, 2024, 5:01 am

It's interesting because teams like Alabama have been winning throughout history by paying players under the table and taking every sneaky advantage they can to become the powerhouses that they are. It hasn't worked for a long time for the smaller schools. How could anyone not know that this is where things were going, and what it was all doing to the game.
I don't think it's paying players is his issue. It's a "loyalty" issue. A hellcat used to be able to buy a player's loyalty for 3-4 years unless they got counseled out. But with Pandora's box of NIL and the portal being opened at the same time, these large payments are now only good for 1 year. You have to be constantly recruiting your players to stay and offering them more and more or else some other school will. The HC position has become less about coaching, they don't have time for that, they've become full time schmoozers.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 10th, 2024, 6:59 pm

If any of you have never seen the 30 for 30 on SMU, DO IT! It's crazy to think that the stuff outlined in that documentary has now been legalized. Should the NCAA restore all of SMU's vacated wins?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiHootUSU78FloridaAggie13

Hoot

Post by Hoot » March 10th, 2024, 7:49 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 10th, 2024, 6:59 pm
If any of you have never seen the 30 for 30 on SMU, DO IT! It's crazy to think that the stuff outlined in that documentary has now been legalized. Should the NCAA restore all of SMU's vacated wins?
They should for sure give Reggie his Heisman back.
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post (total 4):
Aggie formerly in Hawaiiaggies22FoolonthehillFloridaAggie13

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 10th, 2024, 8:16 pm

aggies22 wrote:
It is like the the untouchables. Elliot ness spends the whole movie fighting bootleggers, but at the end when prohibition ends and the reporter asks him what he is going to do now? He says "get a drink." SMU did break the rules of their era(even though other schools certainly were as well). If it was up to me I'd be more lenient on players than programs. Reggie Bush should get his Heisman back as hoot said.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 3):
aggies22FoolonthehillFloridaAggie13

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 12th, 2024, 2:32 pm

I fear we're being priced out of college sports
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 3):
AngusAgAggieiesterFloridaAggie13

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

BradleyMcLean245
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by BradleyMcLean245 » March 13th, 2024, 12:23 am

That's it, I understand

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » March 13th, 2024, 8:52 am

ViAggie wrote:
March 12th, 2024, 2:32 pm
Agree, the question is, will it remain "college" sports? What kind of association are universities going to have or want to have with semi-pro league? Are the decades of tribalism enough to not have those links severed? For those of you who work for the university, does it makes sense for USU to take on the headache of managing two-semi pro sports teams in Logan?

Alabama is an interesting case. Aside from the university, Tuscaloosa is a pretty poor rural town that couldn't support a semi-pro team without the university's involvement. The dichotomy between university property and the rest of the city is striking. If they split, would either succeed on their own in that town? You'd think the university would keep going, but their identity is so tied up in football tradition, that I'm not so sure. Seems like it would be a shell of itself within a decade. Would it make make more sense for the FB team to move to a larger city for better resources?

We are on the cusp of a seismic shift in college sports fandom. By the time I retire, I don't expect to be a fan of the college BB teams I support now. Given all of the change forthcoming, I don't expect they'll even exist in 20 years. Our kids and grandkids will look back in derision on the quaint era of old-timey college sports, and it will be devastating to the older generations.

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » March 13th, 2024, 11:00 am

There are too many people who love to watch/support college football, and too many players who love to play it. Just look at the Montana schools. Sure the landscape might look different in 10-20 years, but I don't believe for a second it will dissipate. Utah State is a big enough school with enough money, support, and resources that we will remain in the "top tier" of the small guys.

Let the big guys be big guys (which they already are to some extent), and we'll enjoy our smaller scale (and probably more entertaining/authentic) league.
Last edited by TrueAggieman on March 18th, 2024, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » March 13th, 2024, 12:18 pm

I don't really think the sky is falling an more today than it has been for several years, and do think Utah State is in as good a spot as they have been for most of my lifetime.

More close competitive MWC or peer conference games (AAC/MAC/CUSA/SBC) home and away games are what we need to focus on.

Continued prostitution of the school, the Football Program, and the kids in the Program in exchange for a for a quick and meaningless payday on the road on the road more than once per year is never going to be the answer.

In fact, I would argue that contracting with games with perennial Top 10 programs on the road is not really the way to go at all.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » March 13th, 2024, 6:21 pm

ViAggie wrote:
March 12th, 2024, 2:32 pm
Nah, there are the same amount of players out there who want to play football and the same amount of programs. We will just have more turnover like everyone else.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 13th, 2024, 9:18 pm

aggies22 wrote:
I was talking to some people from SMU when they were in Logan for the hockey tournament, and who had family members that lived through the ordeal of the death penalty. They told me that Miami was doing the same thing they were doing and it was frustrating they didn't get in trouble for it.

And the problem is if you gave them back their wins, you can't give them back the games they would have if some of the kids that ended up at Arkansas, Texas, Texas A&M or Oklahoma had instead opted to play for SMU with them remaining a title contender.

One thing that is funny is how I will tell people how schools that tamper with players deserve the death penalty, they assume that I am meaning literally putting the coaches to death, not knowing I am referring to the football death penalty.

And basically, the difference between what has been going on for years and what is NOW going on is that for years, the top schools would pay the players who would be at their school anyways cause of how highly rated they were high school, that schools like Utah State would never have a shot at landing. Like Reggie Bush would have never been at Utah State, SUV or not, but NOW, schools are able to pay players they inaccurately decide to pass on out of high school.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic