Yikes

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Yikes

Post by trevordude » January 31st, 2024, 6:58 pm

Not sent from Tapatalk

EngineeringAggie

Re: Yikes

Post by EngineeringAggie » January 31st, 2024, 7:06 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by EngineeringAggie on February 1st, 2024, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

AggieBlues

Post by AggieBlues » January 31st, 2024, 7:13 pm

This is tragic. Hopefully this is the bottom for this beloved Aggie and he can start to get his life back together. Mental health challenges on top of possibly poor pain med management and substance abuse are a tough combination.

I thought he was a great color analyst a few years ago. Hoping to see a redemption arc come out of this.
These users thanked the author AggieBlues for the post (total 9):
greggers1868aggies223rdGenAggietrevordudeosuaggiePIGSKINAGGIEtreesap32JSHarveyJRA

The amount of energy necessary to refute bull pucky is an order of magnitude greater than to produce it.

GUS

Post by GUS » January 31st, 2024, 7:30 pm

He also had a legal issue regarding an incident with his wife a while back. He obviously needs some help and intervention.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 31st, 2024, 7:31 pm

Sad situation for Kevin. I loved watching him play. He was so funny to listen to while doing the analyst role with Scotty for a year. Hopefully he can get his going in a better direction.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 5):
ProvoAggiegreggers1868PIGSKINAGGIEViAggieJRA

greggers1868

Post by greggers1868 » January 31st, 2024, 7:37 pm

I don’t know Kevin personally but I’ve chatted with his grandparents; he’s got a good family support system, and he seems like a good guy struggling with some large demons. I hope his loved ones can reach him and convince him to get the help that he needs. I echo others in that I loved him on the radio and on podcasts I’ve heard him on.
These users thanked the author greggers1868 for the post (total 5):
aggies22ProvoAggieLarryTheAggietrevordudeosuaggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 31st, 2024, 7:51 pm

Kevin has had a lot of support (more than almost anyone I know) and keeps making worse and worse decisions.

All of us, the older we get, the more we have to face the consequences of our actions. When we are young our family and friends can help us get through.

But as we get older the more the burden is on. At some point though if a decision is bad enough, people simply cannot help us even when they would do anything to help us. Those closest to us may also be going through their own personal issues making them less able to carry the emotional baggage they once were able to.

I don't know what the help Kevin needs would look like anymore. I just hope he can overcome the demons and find joy again.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 4):
aggies22trevordudeViAggieFloridaAggie13

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » January 31st, 2024, 7:56 pm

CTE.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post (total 3):
aggies22MrBiggleFloridaAggie13

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 31st, 2024, 8:04 pm

Ahbye wrote:
January 31st, 2024, 7:56 pm
CTE.
I was afraid this would come up.

greggers1868

Post by greggers1868 » January 31st, 2024, 8:15 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
January 31st, 2024, 7:51 pm
Kevin has had a lot of support (more than almost anyone I know) and keeps making worse and worse decisions.

All of us, the older we get, the more we have to face the consequences of our actions. When we are young our family and friends can help us get through.

But as we get older the more the burden is on. At some point though if a decision is bad enough, people simply cannot help us even when they would do anything to help us. Those closest to us may also be going through their own personal issues making them less able to carry the emotional baggage they once were able to.

I don't know what the help Kevin needs would look like anymore. I just hope he can overcome the demons and find joy again.
I hope my response prior to yours didn’t come off as blaming those around him, as if they hadn’t been doing enough. I totally get what you’re saying. My brother’s marriage ended because his wife had addiction issues, and it is such a toll on those trying to pull them back from the brink. I just don’t want to see people poking fun at the situation; I feel sympathy for him still. I obviously don’t know what he or his loved ones have gone through. One of the other local news stations posted this story on Twitter and I could only read a few responses because people are ruthless in the replies. Makes me sick
These users thanked the author greggers1868 for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025Imakeitrain

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » January 31st, 2024, 8:36 pm

I think he is just losing it, no? I don’t know if it’s substance abuse or what, he might literally just be going looney. Really sad to see

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 31st, 2024, 8:55 pm

greggers1868 wrote:
January 31st, 2024, 8:15 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
January 31st, 2024, 7:51 pm

I hope my response prior to yours didn’t come off as blaming those around him, as if they hadn’t been doing enough. I totally get what you’re saying. My brother’s marriage ended because his wife had addiction issues, and it is such a toll on those trying to pull them back from the brink. I just don’t want to see people poking fun at the situation; I feel sympathy for him still. I obviously don’t know what he or his loved ones have gone through. One of the other local news stations posted this story on Twitter and I could only read a few responses because people are ruthless in the replies. Makes me sick
It’s truly tragic how little regard people have for human beings going through tough times.

I didn’t perceive it as you blaming anyone. Blame isn’t helpful here. Kevin received a lot of help but that’s because the Whimpey’s have had a positive impact on those around them.

It’s just that as life gets more complicated there is less that people can do to help and less help that we can offer.

Substance abuse especially makes this difficult.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 3):
cdaAgCedarAggreggers1868

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » January 31st, 2024, 9:02 pm

This may be a best-possible bad outcome. Per the available info, nobody was seriously hurt. The misdeeds are significant enough that the legal end may be enough to have a legally mandated treatment. Amongst the significant challenges with substance abuse or dependence are that loved ones have limited capacity to convince someone to work on changes, and that addiction usually trumps loved relationships. Also, ketamine is not administered similarly to other antidepressants. I hope the man gets on-track.
These users thanked the author cdaAg for the post:
AggieFBObsession

PIGSKINAGGIE

Post by PIGSKINAGGIE » January 31st, 2024, 11:45 pm

Loved watching him play, loved listening to him on the radio, disappointed when he wasn’t still on there. He was a big part of the offensive lines that were dominant when things turned around and got better for the team. I hope he can get past his addiction and avoid any more trouble with the law. Prayers for him and his family. God bless brother.
These users thanked the author PIGSKINAGGIE for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionViAggie

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » January 31st, 2024, 11:50 pm

AggieBlues wrote:
January 31st, 2024, 7:13 pm
This is tragic. Hopefully this is the bottom for this beloved Aggie and he can start to get his life back together. Mental health challenges on top of possibly poor pain med management and substance abuse are a tough combination.

I thought he was a great color analyst a few years ago. Hoping to see a redemption arc come out of this.
I don't like the association with Boise State but I know he still loves Utah State. Any criticisms from anyone here about this and you really don't understand how difficult pain management and depression can be. This life isn't easy. I hate to put it this way on a sports message board, but...
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
ViAggie

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » January 31st, 2024, 11:51 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
January 31st, 2024, 8:36 pm
I think he is just losing it, no? I don’t know if it’s substance abuse or what, he might literally just be going looney. Really sad to see
Bad take. You're not a psychologist. And even if you are. You haven't done an analysis with him.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post (total 2):
ViAggieJRA

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 31st, 2024, 11:55 pm

sad

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

shoresy

Post by shoresy » February 1st, 2024, 1:46 am

Kevin’s been in a bad space for a while now. He’s a good dude who has just made some spiraling poor decisions. I really hope USU steps in to make sure he gets the help he needs.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post:
Imakeitrain

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » February 1st, 2024, 8:59 am

Ahbye wrote:
CTE.
CTE. Some of these guys get addicted to pain meds while playing, I think too.

Remember the famous Max Hall mugshot, where he was shoplifting to feed a drug addiction? Also, the Jr Seau thing?

Really sad this happens to these former players who seemingly have it all.
Last edited by Tetonkatest on February 1st, 2024, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 1st, 2024, 9:26 am

Really sad. I hope Kevin gets the help he needs.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » February 1st, 2024, 9:27 am

Very sad. Likely a combination of many factors that I could only guess at (as I have no personal knowledge of his case). I hope he can get some effective help, but I'm not holding my breath - as I'm *guessing* some things are structural/physical and not easily changed.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

UStater

Post by UStater » February 1st, 2024, 9:30 am

Tetonkatest wrote:
February 1st, 2024, 8:59 am
Ahbye wrote:
CTE.

Remember the famous Max Hall mugshot, where he was shoplifting to feed a drug addiction? Also, the Jr Seau thing?

Really said this happens to these former players who seemingly have it all.
I really do think these incidents highlight the dark side of football. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I still can acknowledge that for some, the sport comes at a great cost. These are classic signs of CTE and substance abuse that probably started off with a legal prescription that has got a grasp over his life. For anyone saying, he needs to grow-up and start making better choices, it's not that simple. I hope he can get the help he needs. I feel nothing but sadness for him and his family.
These users thanked the author UStater for the post (total 4):
aggies22TetonkatestMrBiggleAggieFBObsession

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » February 1st, 2024, 9:32 am

Ahbye wrote:
CTE.
My Aggie brothers please pay attention here. My man knows things. If he's put himself out here by stating "CTE", this is likely the culprit that our Aggie brother Kevin is dealing with.

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is a brain condition thought to be linked to repeated head injuries and blows to the head. It slowly gets worse over time and leads to dementia.

The symptoms of CTE include memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, impulse control problems, aggression, depression, anxiety, suicidality, parkinsonism, and, eventually, progressive dementia. These symptoms often begin years or even decades after the last brain trauma or end of active athletic involvement.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionFloridaAggie13

UStater

Post by UStater » February 1st, 2024, 9:34 am

aggies22 wrote:
February 1st, 2024, 9:32 am
Ahbye wrote:
CTE.
My Aggie brothers please pay attention here. My man knows things. If he's put himself out here by stating "CTE", this is likely the culprit that our Aggie brother Kevin is dealing with.

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is a brain condition thought to be linked to repeated head injuries and blows to the head. It slowly gets worse over time and leads to dementia.

The symptoms of CTE include memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, impulse control problems, aggression, depression, anxiety, suicidality, parkinsonism, and, eventually, progressive dementia. These symptoms often begin years or even decades after the last brain trauma or end of active athletic involvement.

Thank you for this. I agree 100 percent
These users thanked the author UStater for the post:
aggies22

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » February 1st, 2024, 9:35 am

Ahbye wrote:
CTE.
Alrighty then.

Brain issues are so difficult.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
aggies22

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 1st, 2024, 9:50 am

Life is such an interesting experience. I know that my past self would look at a news story like this and react similar to those in the social media world. I appreciate those events that put a face to the story. Many times in my life, I have been confronted with situations like this that have reminded me of the humanity in tragedy. Kevin certainly has made poor decisions and caused mischief (the extend of which I have no clue). His life is a wreck, and he is certainly a major part of that. Even with that, I feel for a human who is in a spiral. I hope Kevin can get the help he needs. He has a lot to offer this world.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Aggie84025

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » February 1st, 2024, 10:47 am

Let he who has never smoked weed and driven his truck onto the USU football field cast the first stone. Oh, wait....
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Formerly TulsAGGIE

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » February 1st, 2024, 10:58 am

USU78 wrote:
February 1st, 2024, 9:35 am
Ahbye wrote:
CTE.
Alrighty then.

Brain issues are so difficult.
The brain is incredible. There are so many BRILLIANT people on our planet that study the brain every single day and yet we only know a fraction of what it can do and why.

jackattack

Post by jackattack » February 1st, 2024, 6:12 pm

aggies22 wrote:
Ahbye wrote:
CTE.

I’ve read a lot of research on CTE. (I have a toddler who we think will take after his Mom’s side and they are very big and highly athletic). It’s much more nuanced than the media has reported. Here’s an excellent article on it:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/394 ... -certainty

That being said, I loved watching the Whimpey bros when they played for the Aggies. The whole situation sounds like it sucks for him and the family.

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » February 1st, 2024, 6:47 pm

UStater wrote:
February 1st, 2024, 9:30 am
Tetonkatest wrote:
February 1st, 2024, 8:59 am
Ahbye wrote:
CTE.

Really said this happens to these former players who seemingly have it all.
I really do think these incidents highlight the dark side of football. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I still can acknowledge that for some, the sport comes at a great cost. These are classic signs of CTE and substance abuse that probably started off with a legal prescription that has got a grasp over his life. For anyone saying, he needs to grow-up and start making better choices, it's not that simple. I hope he can get the help he needs. I feel nothing but sadness for him and his family.
So are these substance abuse issues frying Brains for football?

I lean towards the former. Although some people really do see the impacts of football. It’s not nearly as often as people make it out to be. Not every former football player is losing it like this. Some do, sure. But this war on football in the media is wild to me.

I think we have a serious substance abuse issue with former players that impacts guys much more than CTE

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » February 1st, 2024, 9:56 pm

aggies22 wrote:
Ahbye wrote:
CTE.

Dammit. So sorry to hear this.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 4th, 2024, 7:31 am

aggies22 wrote:
Ahbye wrote:
CTE.

I've spent the bulk of my adult life working in the Neurodiagnostic medical devices industry. There are studies dating back to the 1960's recognizing the damage done to the brain in certain sports. Initially, the culprit was boxing, but then turned to football once it became America's sport.

From a fan's perspective, we look at the big hits delivered by a free safety on a WR over the middle, or a LB meeting head on with the RB in the gap; but it's the offensive and defensive lineman who are usually at the most risk as they slam heads on every play. Every single play - sixty plus times every game, every weekday practice, for years. According to one of my neurologist colleagues in Miami who began studying the effects of TBI in the 70's, this mimics the repeated jabbing of a boxing match where the damage isn't wrought by a single vicious hit, but built up over time, with thousands and thousands of blows to the head.

To this day, Troy Aikman doesn't remember the 1993 NFC Championship game after he was knocked out late in the first half.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
USU78aggies22

USU78

Post by USU78 » February 4th, 2024, 8:21 am

I've long wondered if it wasn't head trauma instead of rroids causing the rroid rage.
FloridaAggie13

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » February 4th, 2024, 12:00 pm

i remember looking at a linemans helmet in hs, and wondering why is was so scuffed up!!! it was beat up pretty bad, and then i realized the same thing as floridaaggie13 that they are in constant contact with someone else!!.
These users thanked the author tipitup for the post (total 2):
USU78FloridaAggie13

USU78

Post by USU78 » February 4th, 2024, 12:46 pm

tipitup wrote:
February 4th, 2024, 12:00 pm
i remember looking at a linemans helmet in hs, and wondering why is was so scuffed up!!! it was beat up pretty bad, and then i realized the same thing as floridaaggie13 that they are in constant contact with someone else!!.
It was a mark of honor when I played. A scuffed up helmet meant you were competent and doing your job.
FloridaAggie13

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic