"This Will Be Coop's Offense To Run"

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

"This Will Be Coop's Offense To Run"

Post by 3rdGenAggie » November 6th, 2023, 2:10 pm

In a major blow to those who are convinced BA hates Cooper Legas, coach announced today that Coop is the starter going forward given that he stays healthy, etc.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 6):
AGinNEIowaAggieFBObsessionFloridaAggie13flying_scotsman2.0Blue Sageaggies22

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

utahcountyaggie

Re: "This Will Be Coop's Offense To Run"

Post by utahcountyaggie » November 6th, 2023, 2:13 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
November 6th, 2023, 2:10 pm
In a major blow to those who are convinced BA hates Cooper Legas, coach announced today that Coop is the starter going forward given that he stays healthy, etc.
I mean.....he also confirmed Hillstead is not available this week, and that Levi will be backing Cooper up.....So not like he had a choice
These users thanked the author utahcountyaggie for the post (total 2):
AGinNEIowa2004AG

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » November 6th, 2023, 2:17 pm

utahcountyaggie wrote:
November 6th, 2023, 2:13 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
I mean.....he also confirmed Hillstead is not available this week, and that Levi will be backing Cooper up.....So not like he had a choice
Oh good. We wouldn't want those folks to lose their argument.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
918AGGaggies22

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Hoot

Post by Hoot » November 6th, 2023, 2:19 pm

utahcountyaggie wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Everyone pray Coop doesn’t get hurt.
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post (total 3):
utahcountyaggieaggies22IBleedAggieBlue

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 6th, 2023, 2:23 pm

There are always going to be arguments about quarterbacks when you don't really have a good one.

utahcountyaggie

Post by utahcountyaggie » November 6th, 2023, 2:43 pm

While I certainly would not argue that Cooper can sling it like Jordan Love or even Logan Bonner......

Had he started each game this year, Cooper could be sitting with around: 3,000 yards, 25-30 TDs, 60%+ completion percentage - at this point in the season.
**Disclaimer - I do think that pulling Cooper when Blake did, was waranted. I also think it helped "wake him up", and kicked him into another gear.

Cooper could have had a shot to put together a pretty impressive stat line, this season.
These users thanked the author utahcountyaggie for the post (total 2):
Roy McAvoyMrBiggle

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 6th, 2023, 2:52 pm

NVAggie wrote:
November 6th, 2023, 2:23 pm
There are always going to be arguments about quarterbacks when you don't really have a good one.
I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. Coop can play quarterback. He's been a new man since getting benched against Air Force. He has the 18th best QB rating in the nation at the moment.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... g/dir/desc
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 5):
utahcountyaggieAggieFBObsessionsmfdaggie2004AGaggies22

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 6th, 2023, 3:02 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
November 6th, 2023, 2:52 pm
NVAggie wrote:
I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. Coop can play quarterback. He's been a new man since getting benched against Air Force. He has the 18th best QB rating in the nation at the moment.

Completely agree, i wholeheartedly agreed Blake pulling him the first time as he was not making good decisions. Since then he has played really well. The only gripe i have is Cooper should not have been pulled the 2nd time. At least we have Cooper going forward this season. Excited to see him play.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionvegasaggie

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » November 6th, 2023, 3:08 pm

"I think most of our problems is just we've struggled up front." Understatement of the year.

"We're beat up. We're young and inexperienced."

That says it all if you're trying to understand why Aggie football hasn't been able to win more games.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 6th, 2023, 3:30 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
November 6th, 2023, 3:08 pm
"I think most of our problems is just we've struggled up front." Understatement of the year.

"We're beat up. We're young and inexperienced."

That says it all if you're trying to understand why Aggie football hasn't been able to win more games.
This is the problem on both sides of the ball.

Hick and I amongst others have been beating this drum for weeks.
Last edited by Elkaggie on November 6th, 2023, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 6th, 2023, 3:43 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
It merely proves the theory that BA runs a conservative, vanilla offense when Hillstead is playing in order to make him look bad; then, he opens it up for Cooper.

BA hates Hillstead.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 6th, 2023, 3:54 pm

GOOD

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 6th, 2023, 4:37 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:In a major blow to those who are convinced BA hates Cooper Legas, coach announced today that Coop is the starter going forward given that he stays healthy, etc.
I’m not sure this proves what you think it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
AgMacutahcountyaggie

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » November 6th, 2023, 5:21 pm

NVAggie wrote:
I agree....so at least play the best one. Coop!!!

3rdGenAggie

Re:

Post by 3rdGenAggie » November 6th, 2023, 5:38 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 6th, 2023, 4:37 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:In a major blow to those who are convinced BA hates Cooper Legas, coach announced today that Coop is the starter going forward given that he stays healthy, etc.

Doesn't matter if it proves anything. Anybody saying that BA hates Cooper Legas is stupid.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 6th, 2023, 6:51 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Doesn't matter if it proves anything. Anybody saying that BA hates Cooper Legas is stupid.
I think it’s a little more nuanced than that.

No, BA doesn’t “hate” Cooper. It’s not personal. I don’t really think anybody is claiming that.

I think when people say BA “hates” him they mean he isn’t being fair to him and he isn’t giving him a fair shot.

I think that’s valid criticism. That’s not “stupid”.

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » November 6th, 2023, 10:13 pm

I agreed with benching Cooper after the AFA game, but once he came into the UCONN game to replace an injured Hillstead and lead us back, he never should have been benched again. We will never know for sure, but I have a gut feeling we would have beaten SJSU and crushed SDSU and our season looks much different had he been the starter.
These users thanked the author JFWAggie for the post (total 2):
Fan4AggieballAZutahcountyaggie

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » November 6th, 2023, 11:11 pm

JFWAggie wrote:
November 6th, 2023, 10:13 pm
I agreed with benching Cooper after the AFA game, but once he came into the UCONN game to replace an injured Hillstead and lead us back, he never should have been benched again. We will never know for sure, but I have a gut feeling we would have beaten SJSU and crushed SDSU and our season looks much different had he been the starter.
I totally agree.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » November 7th, 2023, 12:05 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
You win the internet today 🤣🤣🤣👊🏻

#hornsup!

Roy McAvoy

Re: Re:

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 7th, 2023, 9:02 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
November 6th, 2023, 5:38 pm
2004AG wrote:

For one, nobody actually thinks he "hates" Cooper Legas. But has he shown a bias against starting Cooper? Absolutely. You are saying anyone who believes this is "stupid". Well I guess you're calling Cooper & his direct family "stupid".

I hope and pray we can salvage keeping him at USU for next year. But right now I think there's no way.

Blake did in fact publicly thrown Cooper under the bus publicly multiple times. He didn't do the same with Bonner (or even Hillstead). He refused to bench Bonner last year after horrific play, but then was extremely quick to bench Cooper this year. Then, he was very quick to bench him again after stellar play once Hillstead was back from injury.

After some pretty poor QB play following from Hillstead, he wasn't benching Hillstead as quick to put Cooper back in. It's also been notable to see Blake single out Cooper when he comes to the sideline and "coach him up", when we haven't seen the same behavior to that extent with Bonner or Hillstead.

Really though, the public comments criticizing Cooper multiple times was the main thing here that I know did some damage.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 3):
Aggie formerly in Hawaii2004AGutahcountyaggie

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » November 7th, 2023, 9:10 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
November 7th, 2023, 9:02 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

For one, nobody actually thinks he "hates" Cooper Legas. But has he shown a bias against starting Cooper? Absolutely. You are saying anyone who believes this is "stupid". Well I guess you're calling Cooper & his direct family "stupid".

I hope and pray we can salvage keeping him at USU for next year. But right now I think there's no way.

Blake did in fact publicly thrown Cooper under the bus publicly multiple times. He didn't do the same with Bonner (or even Hillstead). He refused to bench Bonner last year after horrific play, but then was extremely quick to bench Cooper this year. Then, he was very quick to bench him again after stellar play once Hillstead was back from injury.

After some pretty poor QB play following from Hillstead, he wasn't benching Hillstead as quick to put Cooper back in. It's also been notable to see Blake single out Cooper when he comes to the sideline and "coach him up", when we haven't seen the same behavior to that extent with Bonner or Hillstead.

Really though, the public comments criticizing Cooper multiple times was the main thing here that I know did some damage.
Legas will probably go tear it up next year at byu while we're stuck with Bonner 2.0.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » November 7th, 2023, 9:11 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
November 7th, 2023, 9:10 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Legas will probably go tear it up next year at byu while we're stuck with Bonner 2.0.
I hope McCae is Bonner 2.0! Bonner was a stud before he got hurt.
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post:
FloridaAggie13

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » November 7th, 2023, 9:23 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

BA is a great guy and an above average HC. The one glaring area for improvement is how he talks to/how much he shares with the media. He's made several high profile gaffes. Calling out your QBs mistakes publicly was one. Saying Aggie fans showed their "true colors" after getting booed for being blown out at home by an FCS squad is another.

I do appreciate how much more open BA is than Wells for example, but he could use a PR class or two on how to do it tactfully or just keep his mouth shut all together.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 2):
Roy McAvoy2004AG

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 7th, 2023, 9:36 am

Hoot wrote:
November 7th, 2023, 9:11 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

I hope McCae is Bonner 2.0! Bonner was a stud before he got hurt.
Yeah very weird for Bonner to be used an insult. He was a great conference championship winning QB. Shouldn't have been brought so soon after the injury but that doesn't discredit his Aggie legacy

jazzdog56466

Post by jazzdog56466 » November 7th, 2023, 11:48 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

We can only pray! Win 11 games and break all sorts of school single season records.
These users thanked the author jazzdog56466 for the post:
IBleedAggieBlue

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » November 7th, 2023, 12:54 pm

Hoot wrote:
November 6th, 2023, 2:19 pm
utahcountyaggie wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Everyone pray Coop doesn’t get hurt.
Yeah been there done that.

Where only sage brush grows

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » November 7th, 2023, 1:43 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
NVAggie wrote:

I agree CL should be starting but let's not pretend we have great qb play. Our offensive style/ pace alone will produce big numbers no matter who is running it. That pick he threw to end the Fresno game was flat awful. You couldn't have a easier read then that. Every high school qb in the valley can make that read. Yes it was PI but he still thew it.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » November 7th, 2023, 2:13 pm

Hillstead has "happy feet." He's dancing in the pocket, clean, then putting his head down and running into sacks. Very similar to what happened to Coop earlier in the year. (Coop added inaccurate passing to his bad pocket presence) Hillstead needs a reset to his mojo. In one game he was horrible at the start and played much better later on after getting tackled on a few QB keepers. It seems like he needs some contact to get his head into the game. Seems like Coop is like that also.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 7th, 2023, 2:20 pm

NVAggie wrote:
Fortunately we have a good one and there shouldn't be an argument or controversy.

hvaggie

Post by hvaggie » November 7th, 2023, 2:49 pm

We have 2 good ones. It's our defense that makes them both look bad

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 7th, 2023, 3:26 pm

El Sapo wrote:
November 7th, 2023, 2:13 pm
Hillstead has "happy feet." He's dancing in the pocket, clean, then putting his head down and running into sacks. Very similar to what happened to Coop earlier in the year. (Coop added inaccurate passing to his bad pocket presence) Hillstead needs a reset to his mojo. In one game he was horrible at the start and played much better later on after getting tackled on a few QB keepers. It seems like he needs some contact to get his head into the game. Seems like Coop is like that also.
The best QB’s in America would get happy feet with our o line play or lack thereof.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » November 7th, 2023, 3:30 pm

Has MH played in more than 4 games this year? If this is Coops team going forward can MH keep his RS

nm I just found the redshirt tracker - bummer
Last edited by CaptainChaos on November 7th, 2023, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author CaptainChaos for the post:
aggies22

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 7th, 2023, 3:30 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
November 7th, 2023, 1:43 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
NVAggie wrote:

I agree CL should be starting but let's not pretend we have great qb play. Our offensive style/ pace alone will produce big numbers no matter who is running it. That pick he threw to end the Fresno game was flat awful. You couldn't have a easier read then that. Every high school qb in the valley can make that read. Yes it was PI but he still thew it.
There are 12 starting QB's in the MWC. Since you're a MWC fan, how many of those QB's in the conference would you take over Cooper Legas as the starter at USU?
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 7th, 2023, 3:32 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
November 7th, 2023, 3:30 pm
Has MH played in more than 4 games this year? If this is Coops team going forward can MH keep his RS

nm I just found the redshirt tracker - bummer
Yes RS is gonzo

IBleedAggieBlue

Post by IBleedAggieBlue » November 7th, 2023, 3:42 pm

Let Coop cook the rest of the year. Hillstead will be good, the injury bug concerns me.
These users thanked the author IBleedAggieBlue for the post:
aggies22

Locked Previous topicNext topic