Why is there a QB debate here after this game?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
hickaggie

Why is there a QB debate here after this game?

Post by hickaggie » October 21st, 2023, 10:26 pm

It doesn't matter. Football starts and ends in the trenches. We've got 6 fricking stud skill players and any average QB is going to be a star if the O-line is even subpar. They are not or at least were not tonight because both QBs have put up some numbers that probably belies their actual abilities because of the RBs and WOs.

Their is no point in debating QBs. Guys like Legas are a dime a dozen. Hillstead has upside but will be transfering to one of the teams down south as soon as he shows it unless he is killed by our oline first. It doesn't matter one bit who the aggies start.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 3):
The TruthFloridaAggie13AggieFBObsession

dyedblue

Re: Why is there a QB debate here after this game?

Post by dyedblue » October 21st, 2023, 10:28 pm

hickaggie wrote:
October 21st, 2023, 10:26 pm
It doesn't matter. Football starts and ends in the trenches. We've got 6 fricking stud skill players and any average QB is going to be a star if the O-line is even subpar. They are not or at least were not tonight because both QBs have put up some numbers that probably belies their actual abilities because of the RBs and WOs.

Their is no point in debating QBs. Guys like Legas are a dime a dozen. Hillstead has upside but will be transfering to one of the teams down south as soon as he shows it unless he is killed by our oline first. It doesn't matter one bit who the aggies start.
This is what I’ve been trying to say for a couple of weeks. It doesn’t matter. Oh, and our QB did not just give up 42 points to SJSU.
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 2):
The TruthFloridaAggie13

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » October 21st, 2023, 10:34 pm

dyedblue wrote:
October 21st, 2023, 10:28 pm
hickaggie wrote:

This is what I’ve been trying to say for a couple of weeks. It doesn’t matter. Oh, and our QB did not just give up 42 points to SJSU.
He did give up about 14 though...

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 21st, 2023, 10:36 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
October 21st, 2023, 10:34 pm
dyedblue wrote:
hickaggie wrote:

And Legas did last week.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 21st, 2023, 10:38 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
hickaggie wrote:

Legas would have too. They would have just been a bit different reasons for the picks. Give the D some credit to start th game by forcing TOs because other than that the Aggies would have given up 56. Qb is at least 15 down the list on what needs to be fixed with this team.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 2):
ElkaggieAggieFBObsession

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 21st, 2023, 10:42 pm

hickaggie wrote:
October 21st, 2023, 10:38 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
hickaggie wrote:

Legas would have too. They would have just been a bit different reasons for the picks. Give the D some credit to start th game by forcing TOs because other than that the Aggies would have given up 56. Qb is at least 15 down the list on what needs to be fixed with this team.
POTD. Completely agree. There are so many more issues than QB play. We are a freaking mess.

pcaggie

Post by pcaggie » October 21st, 2023, 11:11 pm

let’s be honest he may not be why we lost, but he was one reason, we might have lost coop at QB too , but we do know coop has play QB when we have won, Hillstead has not, the data does not lie. calling it as it is, I will be the first one to jump up and down when this changes, but until he wins with this team, like coop then maybe he might be a better QB, I just want a QB that wins with the team that we have. again the data does not lie. for some reason this team plays better with a different QB and Blake and everyone else just has to realize that.
These users thanked the author pcaggie for the post (total 5):
FL350AggiehickaggieAggie84025utahcountyaggieAggie formerly in Hawaii

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » October 21st, 2023, 11:16 pm

I agree PC. I really don’t know why it’s so hard to see. They would have lost the UCONN game if it wasn’t for Coop. Coop gave the Aggies a chance to beat Fresno. Given Blake’s track record he’s made his decision and will die on Hillstead’s sword.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 21st, 2023, 11:20 pm

Might have lost? I have no idea who is right on the qb debate but it’s the least of the Aggies problems. Doesn’t matter who you play when your oline plays like trash, your d gets run over, and you have no pass rush.

I will say one thing. Our rbs and top 3 wideouts are so good that a healthy chuckie or even peasley could have given the Aggies a chance with buying time and scramble drills but neither qb at issue has that skill set.

pcaggie

Post by pcaggie » October 22nd, 2023, 10:31 am

i agree with this, we do have some great talent.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 22nd, 2023, 11:27 am

hickaggie wrote:
October 21st, 2023, 11:20 pm
Might have lost? I have no idea who is right on the qb debate but it’s the least of the Aggies problems. Doesn’t matter who you play when your oline plays like trash, your d gets run over, and you have no pass rush.

I will say one thing. Our rbs and top 3 wideouts are so good that a healthy chuckie or even peasley could have given the Aggies a chance with buying time and scramble drills but neither qb at issue has that skill set.
I completely agree with Hick. Our QB situation should be the least of our worries.

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » October 22nd, 2023, 6:06 pm

I wonder how the team especially the skilled position players felt about coach A starting a freshman after nearly taking out one of the leagues best teams the week before. I even wonder how Hillstead felt about the decision. I can’t figure out Coach A and his dislike for Legas. He led us to the biggest bowl game win in school history. It also explains why it took so long to for Coach A to replace Bonner.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 24th, 2023, 12:30 pm

hickaggie wrote:

I mean, against Fresno the offense had 568 yards of total offense with Cooper playing QB. Against SJSU the offense had only 264 total yards.

Legas is 26th in the nation in QB rating. That is really good. Does he get in ruts and struggle at times? Yes, but at times he's also flat out awesome.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 3):
2004AGutahcountyaggieAggie formerly in Hawaii

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » October 24th, 2023, 12:49 pm

No doubt Legas is a great guy and an incredible athlete and a fine Aggie. His fill in job for McCae was very commendable. But if you think the QB change to McCae was some kind of BA popularity contest? You haven't seen (or choose to ignore) the games where Legas struggled.

No QB controversy IMHO. It's MaCae's job through the rest of the season.

utahcountyaggie

Post by utahcountyaggie » October 24th, 2023, 1:34 pm

blueaggie wrote:
October 22nd, 2023, 6:06 pm
I wonder how the team especially the skilled position players felt about coach A starting a freshman after nearly taking out one of the leagues best teams the week before. I even wonder how Hillstead felt about the decision. I can’t figure out Coach A and his dislike for Legas. He led us to the biggest bowl game win in school history. It also explains why it took so long to for Coach A to replace Bonner.
They are not happy.

Aggie_Watch

Post by Aggie_Watch » October 24th, 2023, 1:42 pm

utahcountyaggie wrote:
October 24th, 2023, 1:34 pm
blueaggie wrote:
They are not happy.
Do you think that has anything to do with the way they played on Saturday?

utahcountyaggie

Post by utahcountyaggie » October 24th, 2023, 1:48 pm

Aggie_Watch wrote:
October 24th, 2023, 1:42 pm
utahcountyaggie wrote:
blueaggie wrote:
They are not happy.
*Personal Opinion Only* Speaking with who I've spoken to..... I believe some of Saturday's poor performance to have been a mix of intention/lack of motivation/emptiness/bitterness/frustration with Blake on the QB decision.
- Edit - I will also clarify that the situation came to a head over the QB decision vs San Jose.....but has been brewing over similar situations with a few players in similar circumstances.
These users thanked the author utahcountyaggie for the post:
GrandPoubah

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 24th, 2023, 2:28 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
October 22nd, 2023, 11:27 am
hickaggie wrote:
October 21st, 2023, 11:20 pm

I completely agree with Hick. Our QB situation should be the least of our worries.
It isn't the only issue for sure and with our current defense we aren't winning a MW title regardless of who is QB. With that said, it does matter and as others have pointed out, you play the guy the team believes isn't as good and you risk losing the lockerroom.

Aggie_Watch

Post by Aggie_Watch » October 24th, 2023, 2:32 pm

utahcountyaggie wrote:
October 24th, 2023, 1:48 pm
Aggie_Watch wrote:
utahcountyaggie wrote:
blueaggie wrote:
They are not happy.
*Personal Opinion Only* Speaking with who I've spoken to..... I believe some of Saturday's poor performance to have been a mix of intention/lack of motivation/emptiness/bitterness/frustration with Blake on the QB decision.
- Edit - I will also clarify that the situation came to a head over the QB decision vs San Jose.....but has been brewing over similar situations with a few players in similar circumstances.
I wondered if the QB "Games" coach A is playing was effecting the team. it would seem like it would make the team feel like the have to pick sides. I cannot imagine what this is doing to both QB mental health.
These users thanked the author Aggie_Watch for the post:
utahcountyaggie

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » October 24th, 2023, 3:34 pm

Aggie_Watch wrote:
October 24th, 2023, 2:32 pm
utahcountyaggie wrote:
Aggie_Watch wrote:
utahcountyaggie wrote:
blueaggie wrote:
They are not happy.
I wondered if the QB "Games" coach A is playing was effecting the team. it would seem like it would make the team feel like the have to pick sides. I cannot imagine what this is doing to both QB mental health.
I can say, I have it on good authority that Matt Wells had all but lost the locker room because he refused to play Love when Kent was struggling. The players saw how good Love was in practice, and they all wanted him playing from the Jump. Wells turned the Rock over to Love and things took off.

The other players really dont care as long as the guy that is better is playing.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » October 24th, 2023, 5:32 pm

utahcountyaggie wrote:
Aggie_Watch wrote:
utahcountyaggie wrote:
blueaggie wrote:
They are not happy.
discouraging. :disappointed:
If I had to guess I would say that the other similar situation would be at DT and maybe LB.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
utahcountyaggie

GrandPoubah

Post by GrandPoubah » October 24th, 2023, 5:51 pm

Aglicious wrote:
October 24th, 2023, 5:32 pm
utahcountyaggie wrote:
Aggie_Watch wrote:
utahcountyaggie wrote:
blueaggie wrote:
They are not happy.
If I had to guess I would say that the other similar situation would be at DT and maybe LB.
It really can be any position.

For example - A player like Faison likely "feels" he is the best RB. There is no doubt the young man is a pretty darn good RB (personally I feel like he is the best natural ball carrier), but the coaches feel someone else is the better player and he doesn't get as many touches as perhaps he should. Stats kind of back that up too...

There is a DE that plays a lot too whom I don't even know how the young man even got a scholarship. You won't hear me talk bad about the guy by name though because I feel like he is a high character personality and might be a great leader. I'm not sure what happened to John Ward...he was in the rotation last year behind the top 3 transfers, but can't see the field this year? Very strange.

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » October 24th, 2023, 6:09 pm

If our team all quit because of this they’re dumb and mentally soft, and frankly only hurting themselves.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » October 24th, 2023, 6:17 pm

After a couple of days of reflection, I believe that both quarterbacks can play at a high level when they have time. They also can both be lousy when they are feeling the pass rush. I said this before, but this team will only go as far as our O-Line will take us.

It's important to note that we have been rattled with injuries on our OL. The fact that Wyatt Bowles had significant minutes proves that point. Nothing against the young man, I'm glad he's an Aggie, but he's been low on the depth chart for years. It's also important to remember that San Jose St has also built a solid D-Line over the past couple of years. They have talented guys who took advantage of our worn-down OL.

Having an extra bye week to get our guys healthy will be huge for us for our remaining games. Speaking of which, we still have a shot to go 7-5, while beating SDSU and Boise in the process. Don't give up on these guys yet. There's still plenty to play for!
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
vegasaggie

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 24th, 2023, 6:44 pm

GrandPoubah wrote:
October 24th, 2023, 5:51 pm
Aglicious wrote:
October 24th, 2023, 5:32 pm
utahcountyaggie wrote:
Aggie_Watch wrote:
utahcountyaggie wrote:
blueaggie wrote:
They are not happy.
It really can be any position.

For example - A player like Faison likely "feels" he is the best RB. There is no doubt the young man is a pretty darn good RB (personally I feel like he is the best natural ball carrier), but the coaches feel someone else is the better player and he doesn't get as many touches as perhaps he should. Stats kind of back that up too...

There is a DE that plays a lot too whom I don't even know how the young man even got a scholarship. You won't hear me talk bad about the guy by name though because I feel like he is a high character personality and might be a great leader. I'm not sure what happened to John Ward...he was in the rotation last year behind the top 3 transfers, but can't see the field this year? Very strange.
I couldn’t agree more. I think Faison is our best back followed by booth. Faison is an absolute stud and should be getting the most Carries followed by Booth. And we wonder why so many of our players are transferring?? Coaches can’t continue to botch these situations
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post (total 2):
Fan4AggieballAZutahcountyaggie

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 24th, 2023, 10:53 pm

The popularity contest is a huge issue for players and has been an issue for BA since he got here. Plenty of the guys like MH and I see no reason to believe they quit because he got the start.

Anonymous Coward

Post by Anonymous Coward » October 25th, 2023, 8:00 pm

pcaggie wrote:
October 21st, 2023, 11:11 pm
I just want a QB that wins with the team that we have. again the data does not lie. for some reason this team plays better with a different QB and Blake and everyone else just has to realize that.
Taking crazy pills perhaps but this team needs a different head coach.
This coach calls the plays. This coach trashes his QB in the media (who does that?).
This coach trashed a QB who was leading the conference in QB rating and completion percentage.

Maybe the coach is the problem? He can blame everyone but he's the guy who should be held accountable for continually bringing the players to the field unprepared (digging a 1st Qtr deficit almost every fricking time.)
Then the QB has to do some late game heroics to come from behind.

I don't know why both QBs wouldn't enter the transfer portal. The system is a hot mess.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 25th, 2023, 8:17 pm

Anonymous Coward wrote:
October 25th, 2023, 8:00 pm
pcaggie wrote:
I just want a QB that wins with the team that we have. again the data does not lie. for some reason this team plays better with a different QB and Blake and everyone else just has to realize that.
This coach calls the plays. This coach trashes his QB in the media (who does that?).
This coach trashed a QB who was leading the conference in QB rating and completion percentage.

Maybe the coach is the problem? He can blame everyone but he's the guy who should be held accountable for continually bringing the players to the field unprepared (digging a 1st Qtr deficit almost every fricking time.)

I don't know why both QBs wouldn't enter the transfer portal. The system is a hot mess.
Hey Adam, I’m with you. Coop should be the QB and he’s good. It’s crazy how he’s treated Coop. I’m sorry this has happened to him.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
utahcountyaggie

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 25th, 2023, 8:27 pm

Anonymous Coward wrote:
October 25th, 2023, 8:00 pm
pcaggie wrote:

Trust me there are already players that are lining up NIL deals with other schools. Honestly, I don’t know how we are going to keep players like Ike, Royals etc.. I freaking hate NIL

GrandPoubah

Post by GrandPoubah » October 28th, 2023, 11:00 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
October 24th, 2023, 6:17 pm
After a couple of days of reflection, I believe that both quarterbacks can play at a high level when they have time. They also can both be lousy when they are feeling the pass rush. I said this before, but this team will only go as far as our O-Line will take us.

It's important to note that we have been rattled with injuries on our OL. The fact that Wyatt Bowles had significant minutes proves that point. Nothing against the young man, I'm glad he's an Aggie, but he's been low on the depth chart for years. It's also important to remember that San Jose St has also built a solid D-Line over the past couple of years. They have talented guys who took advantage of our worn-down OL.

Having an extra bye week to get our guys healthy will be huge for us for our remaining games. Speaking of which, we still have a shot to go 7-5, while beating SDSU and Boise in the process. Don't give up on these guys yet. There's still plenty to play for!
I disagree that the OL is playing poorly due to injuries - According to PFF:
We have the 2 of the bottom 7 rated Offensive tackles
We have 2 of the bottom 5 rated Offensive guards
We have a top 5 center.

This would indicate that our OL was poor before the injuries and in many cases the replacements are playing BETTER!

Wyatt Bowles came in and performed outstanding vs Fresno. Had a dip vs SJSU, but was no worse that another player, who was not hurt (benched). Wyatt was perhaps the best OL throughout Spring Ball, but again Blake has his favorites...he moved him to TE and then never really played him.

The injury excuse is dumb

Locked Previous topicNext topic