i really don’t like watching USU football anymore

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
pcaggie

i really don’t like watching USU football anymore

Post by pcaggie » October 21st, 2023, 8:35 pm

hear me out, our football games since Blake ball are extremely hard to watch, so many ups and downs, even when we win, the are so many ups and downs, bone head calls and incredible plays, it is so stressful, will i stop watching probably not, but for the first time in 40 years, i have learned to turn it off before the end of the game.

I am not sure with the current state of college football we won’t be starting with a bunch of new players every year and I just do t think Blake is the coach that can bring a team together every year, yes he did it his first year, but those games were stressful to watch.

i am sitting here wondering if i need to plan my saturdays around football or do something fun and it works out turn on the game after halftime, i will give it a week or two.

i really wanted blake to work out, but the last two seasons show us, it is not going too
These users thanked the author pcaggie for the post (total 2):
Section_L_AggieSaintAggie

QanonAggie

Re: i really don’t like watching USU football anymore

Post by QanonAggie » October 21st, 2023, 8:43 pm

It’s hard to watch incompetence. Many of us agree with you.
These users thanked the author QanonAggie for the post:
SaintAggie

The regime won’t let me change my username :rock:

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » October 21st, 2023, 8:58 pm

The reality is on any given Saturday, half of the college football fan bases will go through the agony of losing. And half of the NLF fan bases go through the agony of losing on any given Sunday. And the fact is Blake won't be here forever. If the things we have seen out of him that we have gotten frustrated with continue, causing too much losing, he will be gone. That or he will eventually do well enough to get a bigger offer.

His record does still sit at 20-15. No reason to act like it's any worse than that.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 21st, 2023, 9:01 pm

11-3
6-7
5-7??
Trending in the wrong direction.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
QanonAggie

QanonAggie

Post by QanonAggie » October 21st, 2023, 9:04 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
October 21st, 2023, 8:58 pm
The reality is on any given Saturday, half of the college football fan bases will go through the agony of losing. And half of the NLF fan bases go through the agony of losing on any given Sunday. And the fact is Blake won't be here forever. If the things we have seen out of him that we have gotten frustrated with continue, causing too much losing, he will be gone. That or he will eventually do well enough to get a bigger offer.

His record does still sit at 20-15. No reason to act like it's any worse than that.
What’s the record THIS year? That’s the record that matters.

The regime won’t let me change my username :rock:

SaintAggie

Post by SaintAggie » October 21st, 2023, 9:05 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:

Let's not kid ourselves here, evidence is building that the last few years are the norm and not the outlier. The outlier seems to be year 1. Bad sign.

GUS

Post by GUS » October 21st, 2023, 10:06 pm

Year 1 was mostly another coaches players. That may help explain the difference. Things are going exactly as the Arkansas St. fans said it did there. I now see why most ASU fans were happy to see BA leave.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 21st, 2023, 10:08 pm

GUS wrote:
October 21st, 2023, 10:06 pm
Year 1 was mostly another coaches players. That may help explain the difference. Things are going exactly as the Arkansas St. fans said it did there. I now see why most ASU fans were happy to see BA leave.
Good point but I’m sure they are wishing they still had him.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 21st, 2023, 10:24 pm

Screw the coach. Win they move on. Los they get fired. I was an Aggie long before BA, and I’ll be over long after all his gear ends up at the DI. Support the team and the Aggies and didn’t let the coach get you too high or too low.
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 2):
GameFAQSAggieSwaggieAggie

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » October 22nd, 2023, 9:37 am

I’m also not a huge fan of watching my team get their asses kicked by a 2-5 team in a High School stadium.
These users thanked the author SwaggieAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 22nd, 2023, 9:45 am

Then I’d say don’t watch. If it isn’t making your life better or isn’t enjoyable for you, there are other recreational activities and ways to spend a fall Saturday that are less likely to leave you in a depressed mood.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
Aggie84025Aggie formerly in HawaiiSwaggieAggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 22nd, 2023, 9:54 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 22nd, 2023, 9:45 am
Then I’d say don’t watch. If it isn’t making your life better or isn’t enjoyable for you, there are other recreational activities and ways to spend a fall Saturday that are less likely to leave you in a depressed mood.
Yep if it isn't fun for you go do something else

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 22nd, 2023, 9:55 am

Elkaggie wrote:
October 21st, 2023, 10:08 pm
GUS wrote:
October 21st, 2023, 10:06 pm
Good point but I’m sure they are wishing they still had him.
Yeah bringing up Arkansas State fans is silly when he clearly did better there than Butch Jones is doing
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
aggies22

Gidbob

Post by Gidbob » October 22nd, 2023, 10:27 am

Getting into running and having Saturday be long run day usually and race day sometimes has certainly helped me not get my whole day wrapped up in football results. Unless a game is in the 10am slot it's easy to still watch and even if it is it's doable. How much of the game I'd miss depends on how long the run is that day. The point of all that is that having something else going on on the weekend helps. Doesn't have to be running of course, but it is nice to find something.
These users thanked the author Gidbob for the post:
ineptimusprime

coolag

Post by coolag » October 22nd, 2023, 10:36 am

SwaggieAggie wrote:
October 22nd, 2023, 9:37 am
I’m also not a huge fan of watching my team get their asses kicked by a 2-5 team in a High School stadium.
Almost feels like we might be headed back to the dark days of aggie football. Small lineman, mediocre QB's, teams giving up on their coach, fans finding better things to do, coaches calling out players in the media, coolag being pissy, (ok that's a constant). I'm still waiting for someone to explain why they feel Blake has the program going in the right direction.

Regulator of Class

Hoot

Post by Hoot » October 22nd, 2023, 10:56 am

coolag wrote:
October 22nd, 2023, 10:36 am
SwaggieAggie wrote:
Almost feels like we might be headed back to the dark days of aggie football. Small lineman, mediocre QB's, teams giving up on their coach, fans finding better things to do, coaches calling out players in the media, coolag being pissy, (ok that's a constant). I'm still waiting for someone to explain why they feel Blake has the program going in the right direction.
I think Blake has recruited really well at the skill positions.
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post:
aggies22

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

coolag

Post by coolag » October 22nd, 2023, 11:05 am

Hoot wrote:
October 22nd, 2023, 10:56 am
coolag wrote:
SwaggieAggie wrote:
That is a good thing and I agree. I also think the "talent" he has brought in on the OL has not been developed very well. Quality skill players wont matter if the OL is poor. Our DL are getting shorter and fatter by the year. Not a good combination. They are also slow as tar.

Regulator of Class

Hoot

Post by Hoot » October 22nd, 2023, 11:29 am

coolag wrote:
October 22nd, 2023, 11:05 am
Hoot wrote:
October 22nd, 2023, 10:56 am
coolag wrote:
SwaggieAggie wrote:
That is a good thing and I agree. I also think the "talent" he has brought in on the OL has not been developed very well. Quality skill players wont matter if the OL is poor. Our DL are getting shorter and fatter by the year. Not a good combination. They are also slow as tar.
The lines are bad no question. I do like Spires though. He’s a good player.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 22nd, 2023, 11:47 am

SaintAggie wrote:
October 21st, 2023, 9:05 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

Let's not kid ourselves here, evidence is building that the last few years are the norm and not the outlier. The outlier seems to be year 1. Bad sign.
11-3 at Utah State will ALWAYS be the outlier. Just like it will be at damn near EVERY school in the country. Expecting consistent ELITE 11-3 seasons is unreasonable.

Am I happy with how things are going so far?? NOPE!! I feel like we let a few games get away.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
AngusAgBearLakeMonster

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 22nd, 2023, 11:48 am

I also like Spires.

I hate our scheme. It’s a lot easier for a G5 school to recruit and develop solid linebackers than it is defensive linemen and edge rushers. It’s a hard scheme to recruit to for a school like USU, IMO.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
CastIronAggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 22nd, 2023, 11:50 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 22nd, 2023, 11:48 am
I also like Spires.

I hate our scheme. It’s a hard scheme to recruit to for a school like USU, IMO.
I've always felt that a 3-3-5 is the way too go. Unfortunately, we are to invested in the 4-2-5 to turn back right now.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 22nd, 2023, 11:51 am

aggies22 wrote:
October 22nd, 2023, 11:50 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
I also like Spires.

I've always felt that a 3-3-5 is the way too go. Unfortunately, we are to invested in the 4-2-5 to turn back right now.
For sure, it’s going to take at least an offseason or two to make that switch.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 22nd, 2023, 11:53 am

aggies22 wrote:
October 22nd, 2023, 11:47 am
SaintAggie wrote:
October 21st, 2023, 9:05 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

11-3 at Utah State will ALWAYS be the outlier. Just like it will be at damn near EVERY school in the country. Expecting consistent ELITE 11-3 seasons is unreasonable.

Am I happy with how things are going so far?? NOPE!! I feel like we let a few games get away.
22 we'll never be a winner every year at this level with undersized dts and ols. You gotta have both be up to snuff or you don't win every year. At Utah State we're almost always looking at smallish dts and/or ols on bad years and fairly good sized ols and dts in good years. The bad years always have injuries mixed in which ruin hopes of winning.

Now we're facing another problem. NIL which is entirely new. And it's not a good problem for us like the transfer portal was at first.

Bottom line is that Aggie football is screwed for now. Blake can't solve it. It'll take something like a miracle now.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » October 22nd, 2023, 11:54 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 22nd, 2023, 11:51 am
aggies22 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
I also like Spires.

If you think Blake’s going to change the scheme in the offseason I’ve got bad news for you.

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » October 22nd, 2023, 12:06 pm

Maybe I'm off base here, Banda left really late in the offseason, and the current DC was a bandaid.

We need a MW level DC who is a great recruiter and high energy is a plus plus. Ala, Aranda, Orlando, Patterson and Banda.

I think at USU the Dline and Oline is a developmental position, and ours are not at a healthy FBS level right now.

The offense has turned into a jeckle and hyde situation, i liked what I saw on the 2 min offense ran in the 4th quarter. This is what needs to be ran all the time whilst we have a horrible line situation and piss poor tackling. It's crazy how many missed tackles there are, and how slow the team is in general to the ball. I put all of this on the DC. we are half way into the season and SJSU should not be putting up 42 on our team, vs less points than the MWC leaders FSU etc.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » October 22nd, 2023, 12:49 pm

aggies22 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
I also like Spires.

For sure. Our best defense the last decade or so was the 3-3-5. Seemed easier to get guys that fit too.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 22nd, 2023, 1:06 pm

Hoot wrote:
October 22nd, 2023, 11:54 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
I also like Spires.

If you think Blake’s going to change the scheme in the offseason I’ve got bad news for you.
Oh, I agree. It’ll be an offseason or two for the next coach to make the switch, whenever that ends up happening.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 22nd, 2023, 1:47 pm

pcaggie wrote:
October 21st, 2023, 8:35 pm
hear me out, our football games since Blake ball are extremely hard to watch, so many ups and downs, even when we win, the are so many ups and downs, bone head calls and incredible plays, it is so stressful, will i stop watching probably not, but for the first time in 40 years, i have learned to turn it off before the end of the game.

I am not sure with the current state of college football we won’t be starting with a bunch of new players every year
and I just do t think Blake is the coach that can bring a team together every year, yes he did it his first year, but those games were stressful to watch.

i am sitting here wondering if i need to plan my saturdays around football or do something fun and it works out turn on the game after halftime, i will give it a week or two.

i really wanted blake to work out, but the last two seasons show us, it is not going too
It's pretty much guaranteed that USU will pretty much have new starters every year. The transfer portal and NIL have changed college football, and not for the better. USU will always have to find mercenaries in the transfer portal that have no connection to USU other than its a place to play. They come in for a year, maybe two, and move on and never think about USU again. It's hard to get behind a team of mercenaries. And having a roster turnover of 59 players every year is not a recipe for success. I'm afraid this season will be the new norm for USU, not an aberration.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
utaggiesSwaggieAggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » October 22nd, 2023, 6:05 pm

I'm sad there are only two home games left. I hate that the Aggies are 3-5 but I love going to our games. It's a fun time with family and I don't think there's a better place to watch a game than Maverik Stadium. Good times for me and mine....I sure hope we get 3 of the next 4 though. Go Aggies!
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiBearLakeMonster

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 22nd, 2023, 9:00 pm

Hoot wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
I also like Spires.

Is Blake just tied to the 4 man front? Did he run anything else at Arkansas State. Its a great defense if you have the line for it, particularly the right defensive end but since we started running it only Nick Heninger was even close to be being a guy that could both pass rush, squeeze, and contain.

The worst quality in a coach is the stubborness not to adjust. Gary Andersen went from a 4 man philosophy to a 3. Even Wells hired 2 really good fits at d coordinator. I just don't see anything special there to develop. Yeah we had 3 first half sacks but they were all coverage sacks with no guys who appear to have the fluidity and the moves. Fine you say but maybe they can do their job on the run and contain?..lol...How many yards did the Spartans rush for? How many times did Cordeiro whos not exactly Micheal Vick roll right on red zone downs without a guy even in his face.

And I know its way down the list on Defensive issues but when you drop 7 you need to have someone remember that the RB is still eligible and won't need to pass block against our joke of a line.

Blake has got to see that stud DEs are not just going to drop out of transfer portal sky.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionBullnamed_gus

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » October 22nd, 2023, 9:24 pm

hickaggie wrote:
October 22nd, 2023, 9:00 pm
Hoot wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
I also like Spires.

Is Blake just tied to the 4 man front? Did he run anything else at Arkansas State. Its a great defense if you have the line for it, particularly the right defensive end but since we started running it only Nick Heninger was even close to be being a guy that could both pass rush, squeeze, and contain.

The worst quality in a coach is the stubborness not to adjust. Gary Andersen went from a 4 man philosophy to a 3. Even Wells hired 2 really good fits at d coordinator. I just don't see anything special there to develop. Yeah we had 3 first half sacks but they were all coverage sacks with no guys who appear to have the fluidity and the moves. Fine you say but maybe they can do their job on the run and contain?..lol...How many yards did the Spartans rush for? How many times did Cordeiro whos not exactly Micheal Vick roll right on red zone downs without a guy even in his face.

And I know its way down the list on Defensive issues but when you drop 7 you need to have someone remember that the RB is still eligible and won't need to pass block against our joke of a line.

Blake has got to see that stud DEs are not just going to drop out of transfer portal sky.
If it were my defense I would transition to a 3/4 base. It seems like thats the fit for who we recruit. Its a lot easier to find one big space eater, then having two, and trying to find 2 FBS size DE's that can pass rush too.

It would be something like Hale/Mells/Mosley as a nose, with guys like Seni/Mail/ Kesi, etc as the Left and Right Ends. Cian Sloan, Fitzegerald would be stand up Edge guys, which would fit their size a lot better. Sloan is fast, but small, smaller than Heninger even. Hes not an FBS DE.

Our LBs would be something like Sloan, MJ, Switzer, Fitzgerald. I just feel like wed be a lot stronger as a defense.

A 3-3-5 would be worse to stop the run. And tougher to get a legitimate pass rush imo.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 22nd, 2023, 9:43 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
October 22nd, 2023, 6:05 pm
I'm sad there are only two home games left. I hate that the Aggies are 3-5 but I love going to our games. It's a fun time with family and I don't think there's a better place to watch a game than Maverik Stadium. Good times for me and mine....I sure hope we get 3 of the next 4 though. Go Aggies!
3-5 sucks, but Aggie games are still a great time. Went to the Idaho State and CSU games and had a great time. I've gone to Aggie games for decades and seen way worse teams than this.

But hey entertainment is entertainment, if people aren't being fulfilled through Aggie football, they should do something else and enjoy their Saturdays in the most enjoyable way they can. Maybe young fans that have seen USU win 10 games multiple times are easier to lose.

Locked Previous topicNext topic