Football Only NIL Collective

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ineptimusprime

Football Only NIL Collective

Post by ineptimusprime » May 5th, 2023, 11:58 am

aggies22 cooking something up here…
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
ViAggieaggies22

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Re: Football Only NIL Collective

Post by ProvoAggie » May 5th, 2023, 12:01 pm

Light It Blue also allows you to have all of your donation go to football if you so choose. I put mine towards Men's Basketball.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 2):
ViAggieMrBiggle

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » May 5th, 2023, 12:31 pm

Just feels like our Athletic Department is a (I can't express myself without swearing) show right now. We have a bunch of different collectives, rumors about money being repurposed. Pretty annoying in my opinion. Seems like Half the donor base hates bovee and are just starting to do their own thing. I don’t have any sources but
Seems like no one trusts Bovee right now. Just my observation
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post (total 2):
ViAggieAGinNEIowa

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » May 5th, 2023, 12:41 pm

So this is the collective that aggies22 was mentioning.

This part is interesting to me:
Is the OFFICIAL NIL Group for USU Football and has the EXCLUSIVE endorsement of Utah State University Football.
As far as I know, USU Football hasn't sent anything out about this collective but they have promoted Light It Blue in the past. Either this announcement comes before USU is ready to announce this change of this isn't the Official or Exclusive NIL Collective of the football team.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 2):
ViAggieaggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 5th, 2023, 1:47 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
May 5th, 2023, 12:41 pm

Is the OFFICIAL NIL Group for USU Football and has the EXCLUSIVE endorsement of Utah State University Football.
As far as I know, USU Football hasn't sent anything out about this collective but they have promoted Light It Blue in the past. Either this announcement comes before USU is ready to announce this change of this isn't the Official or Exclusive NIL Collective of the football team.
This isn't going to get the endorsement of the athletic department but TRUST me the football program is aware that this is going down. Bigger programs around the country have these things popping up all over. I believe this is something worth checking out. I'm also HOPEFUL that an incentive that I suggested pans out for the basketball team.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 5th, 2023, 1:57 pm

Anything that improves the lives of USU athletes has my support -- I guess my only concern is that there are now so many things to donate to that some fans may get confused and others may just throw their hands up in the air. Totally want to hear more information about this new thing and better understand it, but I guess that's an initial concern in the abstract.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
aggies22

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » May 5th, 2023, 2:45 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 5th, 2023, 1:47 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:

This isn't going to get the endorsement of the athletic department but TRUST me the football program is aware that this is going down. Bigger programs around the country have these things popping up all over. I believe this is something worth checking out. I'm also HOPEFUL that an incentive that I suggested pans out for the basketball team.
Using trademarked logos and claiming that you are endorsed by an organization that isn't going to give you an endorsement seems like a way to get into trouble. I'm not against an NIL collective...in fact I'm setup through the one that is endorsed. If this makes the team better than I'm all for that. Just seems like they're starting out in a dishonest manner.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
CacheCow

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 5th, 2023, 4:14 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
May 5th, 2023, 2:45 pm
aggies22 wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

Using trademarked logos and claiming that you are endorsed by an organization that isn't going to give you an endorsement seems like a way to get into trouble. I'm not against an NIL collective...in fact I'm setup through the one that is endorsed. If this makes the team better than I'm all for that. Just seems like they're starting out in a dishonest manner.
I get what you are saying, the athletic department may not like the competition. However, the football program is VERY much on board with what is going on. Do you have to have the blessing of the athletic department in order to have the blessing of the football program? This is where Utah State often falls short, as some people (not you, I'm speaking in general terms) get pissy if anyone tries to do anything outside of the athletic department.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » May 5th, 2023, 6:35 pm

aggies22 wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

I get what you are saying, the athletic department may not like the competition. However, the football program is VERY much on board with what is going on. Do you have to have the blessing of the athletic department in order to have the blessing of the football program? This is where Utah State often falls short, as some people (not you, I'm speaking in general terms) get pissy if anyone tries to do anything outside of the athletic department.
The way that NIL works everything has to be approved by the University. I'm guessing that Dee already got in trouble as he removed his tweet and posted a new one with an older but still trademarked logo and he's no longer claiming to be the official or endorsed NIL program.

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » May 5th, 2023, 7:13 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
May 5th, 2023, 6:35 pm
aggies22 wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

The way that NIL works everything has to be approved by the University. I'm guessing that Dee already got in trouble as he removed his tweet and posted a new one with an older but still trademarked logo and he's no longer claiming to be the official or endorsed NIL program.

That’s was a quick cease and desist

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » May 6th, 2023, 10:07 am

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
May 5th, 2023, 7:13 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
May 5th, 2023, 6:35 pm
aggies22 wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

That’s was a quick cease and desist
Helluva way to start... :thumbsup:

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 6th, 2023, 10:27 am

In the event any of you are interested, I suggest giving Dee a chance.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
USU78flying_scotsman2.0

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » May 6th, 2023, 11:10 am

That we can't keep position, coordinators and Head Coaches very long after their successes for a lack of money is our reality.

Kindly tell me how the NIL bit isn't wasted time and money. . The NIL bit is a poison that will soon enough be adjusted and restrained to level the intercollegiate playing field in an effort to avoid the destruction of intercollegiate sports as we have grown to know and love them.

Full

Post by Full » May 6th, 2023, 11:42 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
May 6th, 2023, 11:10 am
That we can't keep position, coordinators and Head Coaches very long after their successes for a lack of money is our reality.

Kindly tell me how the NIL bit isn't wasted time and money. . The NIL bit is a poison that will soon enough be adjusted and restrained to level the intercollegiate playing field in an effort to avoid the destruction of intercollegiate sports as we have grown to know and love them.
I firmly believe it will only change after athletic departments across the country start selling less tickets than can be blamed on other factors.

When all these big dollar players grad transfer, donors will figure how loyal most players are to their team. USU fans already know they’re about as rare as Stew.

The only good thing about the transfer portal era is it gives playing time to upperclassmen because no coach at the level of USU will play someone in order to develop them. There might be a disincentive to play a younger player that is just slightly ahead of graduating senior.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 6th, 2023, 12:54 pm

I can only tell you guys what I know. What I know is, this endeavor is more LEGIT than any of you may imagine. This money IS NOT going to be used to buy players. It's going to be used to REWARD the ones the stay!!!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 5):
flying_scotsman2.0vegasaggieBlue SagejackattackPIGSKINAGGIE

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » May 6th, 2023, 9:10 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 6th, 2023, 12:54 pm
I can only tell you guys what I know. What I know is, this endeavor is more LEGIT than any of you may imagine. This money IS NOT going to be used to buy players. It's going to be used to REWARD the ones the stay!!!
Who makes the decision about which players to reward and how much to pay them? Dee Jones? Some committee of donors? Can the coach/AD have any kind of say?
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post:
AngusAg

Nobody here knows anything.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 6th, 2023, 10:14 pm

OKAggie wrote:
May 6th, 2023, 9:10 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Who makes the decision about which players to reward and how much to pay them? Dee Jones? Some committee of donors? Can the coach/AD have any kind of say?
I believe each scholarship player will receive a predetermined amount.
Last edited by aggies22 on May 7th, 2023, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » May 6th, 2023, 10:26 pm

OKAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Whoever donates the money has the say on who it goes to. And it's probably the ability of the players to earn money elsewhere that determines what we pay them. Solid starters who are stat leaders are going to get as much as we can afford, if it's enough to keep them, but guys who are fighting for the starting job here and lack the ability to get paid anywhere that the bigger schools are going to let us keep aren't going to get as much if anything.

EngineeringAggie

Post by EngineeringAggie » May 6th, 2023, 10:59 pm

When do the players get paid? Is it monthly or a big lump sum at the beginning of the season? Do they start getting paid as soon as the transfer portal closes?

My biggest concern is that players are getting paid monthly and then they just up and leave when the transfer portal is open. Our fans have limited money and we definitely shouldn’t be wasting money on the players that are going to leave the next day. It seems like the money should only be handed out once they’ve shown that they aren’t leaving us. I’m not sure what the answer is though.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 6th, 2023, 11:28 pm

EngineeringAggie wrote:
May 6th, 2023, 10:59 pm
When do the players get paid? Is it monthly or a big lump sum at the beginning of the season? Do they start getting paid as soon as the transfer portal closes?

My biggest concern is that players are getting paid monthly and then they just up and leave when the transfer portal is open. Our fans have limited money and we definitely shouldn’t be wasting money on the players that are going to leave the next day. It seems like the money should only be handed out once they’ve shown that they aren’t leaving us. I’m not sure what the answer is though.
I think it's monthly BUT you do have a good point about taking cash and bailing. I'll have to see what the plan is there.

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » May 7th, 2023, 1:42 am

aggies22 wrote:
I'm sorry, I'm just not going to spend MORE money in hopes some kid stays here to play a sport :( just so everyone is fully aware. We are still going to lose our best talent to this fuking BS. College sports, are now minor league. Breaks my heart.
These users thanked the author aggiesdidwhat for the post:
aggies22

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » May 7th, 2023, 7:43 am

aggies22 wrote:
May 6th, 2023, 10:14 pm
OKAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
I believe each s scholarship player will receive a predetermined amount.
Again, though, and sorry to be repetitive, but: predetermined by who?
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post:
aggies22

Nobody here knows anything.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 7th, 2023, 9:30 am

aggiesdidwhat wrote:
May 7th, 2023, 1:42 am
aggies22 wrote:
I'm sorry, I'm just not going to spend MORE money in hopes some kid stays here to play a sport :( just so everyone is fully aware. We are still going to lose our best talent to this fuking BS. College sports, are now minor league. Breaks my heart.
It's fine my Aggie brother. To each their own.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 7th, 2023, 9:34 am

OKAggie wrote:
May 7th, 2023, 7:43 am
aggies22 wrote:
May 6th, 2023, 10:14 pm
OKAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
I believe each s scholarship player will receive a predetermined amount.
Again, though, and sorry to be repetitive, but: predetermined by who?
I don't want to speculate, so I'll find our for certain and let you know.

Montyman1
Has thanked: 0

Post by Montyman1 » May 7th, 2023, 10:32 am

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
May 5th, 2023, 12:31 pm
Just feels like our Athletic Department is a (I can't express myself without swearing) show right now. We have a bunch of different collectives, rumors about money being repurposed. Pretty annoying in my opinion. Seems like Half the donor base hates bovee and are just starting to do their own thing. I don’t have any sources but
Seems like no one trusts Bovee right now. Just my observation
My friend, Previous made 1 mil donation is 100% brand new and done under current athletic department staffs work. NIL collectives are illegal if done by the university so of course new collectives have nothing to do with the department. The university can direct fans to a collective but can’t control or create a collective. From my understanding during conversations with those that work close with bovee and his staff there is a lot of trust and communication. If you are mad be mad at particular fans who are pushing a collective without doing their due diligence and giving notification to the staff.
These users thanked the author Montyman1 for the post (total 2):
ratofallaggies918AGG

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 8th, 2023, 8:56 am

None of my money will ever go to a collective. I'm against this concept and feel that they should be banned. If these players are doing promos, helping businesses, or signing autographs then let them get their money.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 7):
LarryTheAggieAggie84025sstrassercvalflying_scotsman2.0USU78PIGSKINAGGIE

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » May 8th, 2023, 10:20 am

NVAggie wrote:
May 8th, 2023, 8:56 am
None of my money will ever go to a collective. I'm against this concept and feel that they should be banned. If these players are doing promos, helping businesses, or signing autographs then let them get their money.
I can’t see a way they’re a tax benefit either. Bad news on all fronts.

AmericanAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by AmericanAggie » May 8th, 2023, 10:39 am

Coaches / ADs have no say as a collective is its own thing. There's no way to stop someone from taking money and leaving, as the money can't be given based on play or performance.

Having collectives at USU is just so the coaches can check the box to recruits and be able to say "we have a collective" so other schools we recruit against don't have that as an easy win. Ideally they'd disappear altogether, but pandora's box is open and I don't see it happening. Also, fwiw our collective activity really blows, so keep your expectations low. Adding another collective is like opening up another bank account while still only making a few bucks a month. As @ProvoAggie said, with the current collective you can already dictate where the money goes, so a football only collective just doesn't accomplish anything new.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » May 8th, 2023, 10:51 am

I dunno ... Title IX has been a weapon for how long? This is a nice way to keep the donor $$ where it can make useful things happen instead of being sucked away to wherever courts, chief executives, legislators, and unelected government slugs decide it ought to go.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

CacheCow

Post by CacheCow » May 8th, 2023, 4:11 pm

I have always trusted Aggies22 but I’m having a hard time with this new collective. The roll out has been botched going through multiple name changes, the cease and desist using official logos, the Twitter username is just DeeJones9372849273)492$2&. See, I don’t know you but maybe you need some social media help… If I had any big money to give I’d be very wary giving it to this collective opposed to the OG collective.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 8th, 2023, 7:39 pm

CacheCow wrote:
May 8th, 2023, 4:11 pm
I have always trusted Aggies22 but I’m having a hard time with this new collective. The roll out has been botched going through multiple name changes, the cease and desist using official logos, the Twitter username is just DeeJones9372849273)492$2&. See, I don’t know you but maybe you need some social media help… If I had any big money to give I’d be very wary giving it to this collective opposed to the OG collective.
While the rollout has not been smooth, the desire to reward our players is there. The message that will be delivered June 2nd will be worth listening to. I'm not here telling any of you that have to donate to this collective. I would like to encourage you to give it a chance. We're all a part of Aggie Nation.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
CacheCowProvoAggie

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » May 8th, 2023, 9:18 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
May 8th, 2023, 10:20 am
NVAggie wrote:
May 8th, 2023, 8:56 am
I can’t see a way they’re a tax benefit either. Bad news on all fronts.
The ONLY way they’re a tax benefit is if it’s a legitimate business donating to the collective as a “Marketing Expense”. But for those of us with only W-2 only income, there is no benefit.
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » May 8th, 2023, 9:47 pm

I know Dee Jones has quite a bit of money and has supported athletics quite a bit in the past. I'm sure he's also got quite an extensive network of Aggie booster friends. Those are important things to ensure a collective works.

I'm also far less than impressed at how this collective has rolled out thus far. Between the apparent lack of tech savvy that comes with the new Twitter handle and getting signed up for a seat at the rollout in early June, I don't have the confidence that this thing is built to last.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 8th, 2023, 11:29 pm

I hope the primary question answered at the meeting is “why do we need this collective in addition to the official collective?”

PIGSKINAGGIE

Post by PIGSKINAGGIE » May 9th, 2023, 3:56 am

As far as collectives go, who is going to audit them to make sure the money goes where it’s supposed to? Seems like a lot of potential for money to collect in someone’s pocket other than players, not just here but anywhere. Not a fan of this cluster F mess the ncaa has made out of this.

Locked Previous topicNext topic