Message to Baldwin...

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ChicagoAggie

Message to Baldwin...

Post by ChicagoAggie » November 20th, 2010, 2:18 pm

Open up the damn offense jack*ss. Why do we constantly have to get in this position in a game before you pull your head out of your *ss?

utaggies

Re: Message to Baldwin...

Post by utaggies » November 20th, 2010, 2:46 pm

I could not agree more. No excuses. We nees this win to claim there is progress in this program and to take the next step. As far as I'm concerned, the measure of success of this program hangs in the balance of what happens in the 2nd half of this game.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 20th, 2010, 3:59 pm

Jackass is right. Horrible. But the receivers need to catch the damn ball, and Borel needs to learn to throw.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 20th, 2010, 4:07 pm

Why not run the offense like he did in the 2nd half of the Nevada game? With Borel moving out of the pocket and making plays with his run threat and ability to throw on the run? I'm starting to think Baldwin needs to go too. I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt because of injuries, but I'm just not sure I like his play calling. The players need to execute better, but the coach needs to put them in the right position to do so. We should have at least tried something down the middle with their star safety out in the first half.

USUALUM
Has thanked: 0

Post by USUALUM » November 20th, 2010, 4:12 pm

I certainly don't mean to let the play calling off the hook but wow, our offensive line is really struggling. It seemed like an outright jailbreak for their D on every USU possession. If you're Borel do you even want to step on the field in Boise? Right now there is a legitimate chance whoever is playing QB might be killed.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 20th, 2010, 4:14 pm

+1
That's why he needs to roll out almost every time, that's when he's at his best anyway. I wouldn't stand in that pocket and go through my reads. Forget that!

USUALUM

Post by USUALUM » November 20th, 2010, 4:16 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:+1
That's why he needs to roll out almost every time, that's when he's at his best anyway. I wouldn't stand in that pocket and go through my reads. Forget that!
Oh I agree 100%. Borel needs to go rogue in Boise. What's the worst that could happen, he gets benched?

usubobcat

Post by usubobcat » November 20th, 2010, 4:31 pm

Funny... after watching the game my thoughts were more along the lines of "Poor Baldwin... no matter what play he calls, the offense cannot run it." We had some success running at first, but then when we threw in the obligatory pass plays to keep the defense honest, Idaho realized that our passing game was totally and completely inept. Borel couldn't throw. Our receivers couldn't catch. Heck, about the only positive thing I took out of the passing game today was that our receivers will not miss any time from being ill. Even in that weather they couldn't catch a thing - not even a cold. Then once Idaho realized we couldn't throw, all they had to do was defend the run every time. Even when Borel was scrambling out of the pocket, if he launched a pass it ended up being thrown behind the receiver and three feet in front. There were a few times when he took off running, and I admit we did get some nice gains on those plays. But you can't do that all game. Although.... heck, the game against Boise will be Diondre's last game. Why not let our starting quarterback run the whole game against them. What do we have to lose?

Anyway, my point is this. I'm not sure what blame you can put on Baldwin's play-calling when one phase of the offense is a complete wreck. Can't pass because our qb can't throw and our receivers can't catch. Can't run because Idaho knows that's the only thing we can do. So we do a play-action pass play that's really designed to get Borel the chance to scramble. .... every time?

I could go on but I have rambled enough. I think the blame lies on the players. Specifically QB and WRs.

Classic Blunders:
1) Getting involved in a land war in Asia
2) Going in against a Sicilian when death is on the line

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » November 20th, 2010, 4:37 pm

bobcat, i can respect your opinion but the first half was complete inept play calling. just because a receiver drops a pass doesn't mean you stop throwing. how about some quick slants or short curls. simplify the the pass plays, especially in that weather but do something more than option play left, option play right.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 20th, 2010, 4:48 pm

If our passing offense is completely inept then why not change things up a bit? Not many slants or posts were run the entire game. the one time we did go deep it was on third and 2 when we really needed the first down.

We had to have TDs on those first two possessions to have won the game. Why do we insist on running the stupid football every play inside the 10. I would love to see some bootleg action and get Borel on the outside with the TE dragging across in front of him. We can't say it wouldn't work if we never try it.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

superaggie

Post by superaggie » November 20th, 2010, 4:55 pm

I love how we are blaming Baldwin for the ten drop passes in the game that hit player in the hands or the chest. The fact of the matter is if joey demartino, K william, Watkins, Van Leuen, Austin Alder, and Morgan catch the ball, we win that game. What we were running was working the receivers were open. They just did not catch the ball.

GUS

Post by GUS » November 20th, 2010, 5:20 pm

Does Baldwin not have a short 5 yard slant pass over the middle in his playbook?

SuperiorBlueDiver

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » November 20th, 2010, 5:44 pm

We didn't throw a pass over the middle all day long. We didn't throw a pass to a tight end all day long. Idaho was pressuring us right up the gut all day long. How about a nice little middle screen to a running back or a reciever? I agree with alot of what usubobcat is saying but alot of the dropped balls came after the play had already failed and Diondre was trying to improvise. btw right after the game my dad who doesn't say much negatively about the team turned to me and said. "I'm kind of glad to see Borel graduating." I agree. I really like Diondre and I know he's had no protection this season but I am so tired of watching him run around like a crazy man behind the line of scrimmage. I also don't like Baldwins play calling much but the ineptitude of our recievers just makes it look that much worse.

There's going to be changes in the coaching staff this offseason.

trehogi74
Been thanked: 0

Post by trehogi74 » November 20th, 2010, 6:04 pm

I agree with SuperBlueDiver, Gus, and ChicagoAggie

WHERE ARE THE SLANTS OVER THE MIDDLE??????

for crying out loud use the middle of the field please!!! Every highschool and college team that does has success!!

What a waste of my time taking my whole family to that garbage today...and YES I did leave at halftime!!!!!!! (only cause I have 2 year old that had enough - but I don't feel bad about it all). I paid for my tickets and can leave whenever I please.

So disappointing.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » November 20th, 2010, 6:40 pm

usubobcat wrote:Funny... after watching the game my thoughts were more along the lines of "Poor Baldwin... no matter what play he calls, the offense cannot run it." We had some success running at first, but then when we threw in the obligatory pass plays to keep the defense honest, Idaho realized that our passing game was totally and completely inept. Borel couldn't throw. Our receivers couldn't catch. Heck, about the only positive thing I took out of the passing game today was that our receivers will not miss any time from being ill. Even in that weather they couldn't catch a thing - not even a cold. Then once Idaho realized we couldn't throw, all they had to do was defend the run every time. Even when Borel was scrambling out of the pocket, if he launched a pass it ended up being thrown behind the receiver and three feet in front. There were a few times when he took off running, and I admit we did get some nice gains on those plays. But you can't do that all game. Although.... heck, the game against Boise will be Diondre's last game. Why not let our starting quarterback run the whole game against them. What do we have to lose?

Anyway, my point is this. I'm not sure what blame you can put on Baldwin's play-calling when one phase of the offense is a complete wreck. Can't pass because our qb can't throw and our receivers can't catch. Can't run because Idaho knows that's the only thing we can do. So we do a play-action pass play that's really designed to get Borel the chance to scramble. .... every time?

I could go on but I have rambled enough. I think the blame lies on the players. Specifically QB and WRs.
First Possession here are the 1st down plays off the Box Score's Play-by-Play.
1-10 U28 Borel, Diondre pass complete to Moats, Eric for 8 yards to the USU36
1-10 U41 Borel, Diondre pass complete to Williams, K. for 5 yards to the USU46
1-10 I40 Borel, Diondre pass complete to Van Leeuwen, T. for 4 yards to the IDAHO36

3 1st down plays, 3 passes, 3 completions, 17 yards. IIRC, they were roll-outs and maybe even play action.

usubobcat

Post by usubobcat » November 20th, 2010, 7:20 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
First Possession here are the 1st down plays off the Box Score's Play-by-Play.
1-10 U28 Borel, Diondre pass complete to Moats, Eric for 8 yards to the USU36
1-10 U41 Borel, Diondre pass complete to Williams, K. for 5 yards to the USU46
1-10 I40 Borel, Diondre pass complete to Van Leeuwen, T. for 4 yards to the IDAHO36

3 1st down plays, 3 passes, 3 completions, 17 yards. IIRC, they were roll-outs and maybe even play action.

I apologize for insinuating that we were completely and totally inept as soon as we started throwing. Because apparently we did make 3 completions to start the game. And IIRC at that point the running game was working too. But wow. That means for the rest of the game we were 11/32 on pass plays. And I do not apologize for calling that completely and totally inept, because it is. And when you are that bad at passing, Idaho could concentrate on shutting down the run.

I admit that the questions raised about the lack of a short passing game are legit, except that I think even when Diondre tried a couple of those, he was hesitant, a split second slow, and ended up underthrowing it anyway. I also admit that I do not understand the intricacies and contingencies of the USU offense, but I am curious about how much of the lack of slants and what not is on Baldwin, and how much is on Borel. Did we have receivers/tight ends running those routes and it was Diondre's choice not to throw it there? Or did we not even have guys running those routes?

Regardless of the answer to that question, however, my position continues to be that Baldwin's hands are basically tied if we can't throw and can't catch.

Classic Blunders:
1) Getting involved in a land war in Asia
2) Going in against a Sicilian when death is on the line

Quelch

Post by Quelch » November 20th, 2010, 7:22 pm

It is hard to mix it up when our guys can't catch a ball that hits them right in the hands.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 20th, 2010, 9:37 pm

Typical USU football. When the pass is on the money, the receiver drops the ball. When the receiver is wide open, we overthrow him. It sucks, but it is true.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » November 21st, 2010, 12:29 am

He probably needs to go. If you commit to the run, you keep the D honest by going for big plays down the field. Plus, it's easy to throw in the WAC and be successful. I think he just doesn't fit what we need. The only times we were really successful offensively was when we opened things up. Think Oklahoma, think BYU, think Nevada second half.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » November 21st, 2010, 1:48 am

Hell, I haven't seen a middle screen pass over the middle since the John L. Smith days!!!!!
Even the announcers were wondering why we were not throwing anything over the middle? I will tell you why, Borel can't throw over the middle!

GoldenHurricAGG

Post by GoldenHurricAGG » November 22nd, 2010, 3:45 pm

We need to give Baldwin more time, everyone... We shouldn't be calling for his head this early... All of you that have said this about Baldwin know nothing about football...

Less sarcastically: With a team that lacks the athleticism and size that we do - we need more gadget plays, tricks, fakes, etc. We need quick slants, TE curls, and damn good play calling to be bowl eligible. We aren't getting it. Period. If we have the same offensive scheme next year, we win 5 games - maximum - even with all of the athletes that we are getting (and getting back).

"In the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

USUinventedswagger

Post by USUinventedswagger » November 22nd, 2010, 3:48 pm

Baldwin is a great coordinator and put out one of the most explosive offenses in the country last year. Of course this year was going to be a step back with injuries. We are lucky to have Baldwin. If he was not at USU, he would be picked up in a nanosecond by a different school, and they would be better for it, and we would be worse off. I'm very greatful he is our Offensive coordinator. The future is very bright at USU.

The limitation of tyrants is the endurance of those they oppose. – Frederick Douglass

Locked Previous topicNext topic