XFL Aggies

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Bondar4Aggies

XFL Aggies

Post by Bondar4Aggies » February 16th, 2023, 12:58 pm

In case anyone is interested, there are two former Aggies playing in the XFL which starts this weekend.

Martin Evans is on the Vegas Vipers and Dominik Eberle is on the Seattle Sea Dragons.

Marwin plays Saturday at 1 pm on ABC and Dominik plays Sunday at 6 pm on ESPN.
These users thanked the author Bondar4Aggies for the post (total 8):
trevordudeAggie84025AggieArmyAggies1888aggies22FloridaAggie13flying_redbull2.0JSHarvey

ViAggie

Re: XFL Aggies

Post by ViAggie » February 16th, 2023, 1:29 pm

Good to know these two guys landed on their feet, unfortunately I doubt there's any long life for the XFL

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 1st, 2023, 8:13 pm

Eberle is 12/13 so far. Not too shabby. I’m glad that these leagues are giving him a chance to continue kicking and maybe break back in.

https://www.footballdb.com/teams/xfl/se ... gons/stats
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyViAggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 1st, 2023, 8:42 pm

Do former players show as much interest in USU when they leave as USU fans do in them?

Eutaw St. Aggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 1st, 2023, 9:23 pm

Yossarian wrote:
April 1st, 2023, 8:42 pm
Do former players show as much interest in USU when they leave as USU fans do in them?
I would suspect they show as much interest in USU as any other alumni maybe more, maybe less. I’d suspect that’s on a person to person basis. Just like the overall
Alumni base.

I like rooting for USU guys to succeed. It’s a tiny minority of former Aggies I can do that for. The few guys in the NFL and now with the XFL or USFL.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
JSHarvey

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 2nd, 2023, 12:15 am

Yossarian wrote:
April 1st, 2023, 8:42 pm
Dom comes back frequently. Derek Wright has also been back in town this spring.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
ViAggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 2nd, 2023, 12:19 am

ViAggie wrote:
February 16th, 2023, 1:29 pm
Good to know these two guys landed on their feet, unfortunately I doubt there's any long life for the XFL
Yep it will bomb like all minor league football bombs including previous iterations of the xfl

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 2nd, 2023, 1:06 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 2nd, 2023, 12:19 am
ViAggie wrote:
Yep it will bomb like all minor league football bombs including previous iterations of the xfl
The most successful alternative/ minor football league is the SEC.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
ViAggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

LKGates

Post by LKGates » April 2nd, 2023, 10:06 am

ViAggie wrote:
Yeah, the American Football League went nowhere...
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post:
USU78

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 2nd, 2023, 10:38 am

LKGates wrote:
April 2nd, 2023, 10:06 am
ViAggie wrote:
Yeah, the American Football League went nowhere...
Further proves my point you got to go to one created over 60 years to find one

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 2nd, 2023, 2:46 pm

The XFL and USFL have more of a shot to make it than past leagues. They aren't playing in prime arenas like arena football teams. The XFL plays in either soccer stadiums like the DC Defenders, older stadiums that are in less use like the Alamodome. The only team I see playing in a current NFL stadium is Seattle. The USFL plays in 4 stadiums and teams share them,. Last year they shared 1 or 2 in Birmingham, AL. So it would appear that they are in some respect able to keep costs minimal.

The XFL also has WWE backing and the WWE for what its worth has its supporters. The Rock is involved with the ownership of the DC Defenders too. I'm not saying I'm that much of a fan. I'm not saying that it will rival the NFL or FBS football in any meaningful way. However I do think it's the best shot at another league succeeding. The TV offerings for sports come Tuesday are going to be a dead period too. There is baseball but aside from that summer is not a good sports time in the US. Hopefully these rule changes will make baseball more exciting but I often see at least in the Baltimore tv market that infomercials are running for a large part of Saturday and Sunday during the summer on primary networks. The XFL can provide something to view. Maybe a USFL/XFL merger is in the future. Vince McMahon is a brilliant promoter and good businessman (even if WWE isn't my thing or your thing) and I don't think he would be so determined to push the XFL forward (despite many setbacks) if he didn't have a sense of what he was doing.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
aggies22

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 2nd, 2023, 6:57 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
April 2nd, 2023, 2:46 pm
The XFL and USFL have more of a shot to make it than past leagues. They aren't playing in prime arenas like arena football teams. The XFL plays in either soccer stadiums like the DC Defenders, older stadiums that are in less use like the Alamodome. The only team I see playing in a current NFL stadium is Seattle. The USFL plays in 4 stadiums and teams share them,. Last year they shared 1 or 2 in Birmingham, AL. So it would appear that they are in some respect able to keep costs minimal.

The XFL also has WWE backing and the WWE for what its worth has its supporters. The Rock is involved with the ownership of the DC Defenders too. I'm not saying I'm that much of a fan. I'm not saying that it will rival the NFL or FBS football in any meaningful way. However I do think it's the best shot at another league succeeding. The TV offerings for sports come Tuesday are going to be a dead period too. There is baseball but aside from that summer is not a good sports time in the US. Hopefully these rule changes will make baseball more exciting but I often see at least in the Baltimore tv market that infomercials are running for a large part of Saturday and Sunday during the summer on primary networks. The XFL can provide something to view. Maybe a USFL/XFL merger is in the future. Vince McMahon is a brilliant promoter and good businessman (even if WWE isn't my thing or your thing) and I don't think he would be so determined to push the XFL forward (despite many setbacks) if he didn't have a sense of what he was doing.
Well it folded the previous two times he tried. If it makes it more than 3 years I'll send you and lkgates free Aggie tickets. I have zero faith in minor league football in the spring succeeding. Seen league after league die and this one will as well.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » April 2nd, 2023, 7:45 pm

April 2nd, 2023, 6:57 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:

Well it folded the previous two times he tried. If it makes it more than 3 years I'll send you and lkgates free Aggie tickets. I have zero faith in minor league football in the spring succeeding. Seen league after league die and this one will as well.
There is an ESPN 30 for 30 on the first iteration. Really interesting watch. The NFL adopted some of the XFL innovations like the sky cam. The second iteration folded because of COVID. I'm interested to see how this iteration goes.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post:
aggies22

Aggies All the Way!

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » April 3rd, 2023, 7:50 am

ViAggie wrote:
Well given the average length of a player's NFL career the XFl may outlast many individual NFL careers. I hope the XFL lasts long enough for these two Aggies to earn a respectable amount of cash - and showcase their talents to earn a possible future in the NFL.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 3rd, 2023, 8:52 am

April 2nd, 2023, 6:57 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:

It’s certainly difficult and we will see. It’s a lot different than the first attempt- which was NFL Blitz come to life and didn’t feel like football. COVID sunk it on 2020 so im not sure it’s completely fair to make a big judgment alone.

The fact it was able to bounce back says something positive.

I’m not saying it will be successful, only that if anyone has a chance it’s the rebirth of the XFL and USFL. If they can’t succeed it’s hard to see a league succeeding. And again as they grow I’d like to see a merger.

In the end if someone wants to watch football and if players want to try to extend their career and are looking to break back on the league on the here & now there is an opportunity to do so. So at least people can enjoy it while or lasts

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » April 3rd, 2023, 11:32 am

Yossarian wrote:
April 2nd, 2023, 1:06 am
ViAggie wrote:
The most successful alternative/ minor football league is the SEC.
Just wait until they form their own Athletic Association, the SEC-AA, they pull the best 32 FB schools in college FB, form two divisions, (east and west) and the rest will be history.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Stucki

Post by Stucki » April 3rd, 2023, 2:48 pm

The original USFL would have been fine if the owners hadn't followed the pied piper to a fall schedule and an anti-trust lawsuit against the NFL.

Hail the Utah Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic