So if SDSU does leave.

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
LKGates

Re: So if SDSU does leave.

Post by LKGates » January 31st, 2023, 3:35 pm

I think this is all academic. I don't think any P5 takes SDSU, for the same reason the MWC won't add South Dakota State; they add nothing in terms of revenue.

In the highly unlikely event that SDSU does leave.
1. GOOD. I'm tired of listening to those whiny entitled bastages.
2. Stand pat. No one who can reasonably join the conference adds anything.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 3):
USU78ViAggienewtonianblue

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 31st, 2023, 5:11 pm

LKGates wrote:
January 31st, 2023, 3:35 pm
I think this is all academic. I don't think any P5 takes SDSU, for the same reason the MWC won't add South Dakota State; they add nothing in terms of revenue.

I'm with you on this one and I've been saying it all along, SDSU ads no real value to the PAC, they aren't replacing the LA market no way no how, most San Diegans don't want to drive east on the I-8 for any reason, especially a sporting event. SDSU doesn't even give the PAC the SoCal market by any stretch of the imagination. You aren't impressing recruits by playing FB games in Mission Valley, sorry. Had SDSU figured out a way to get a stadium DT SD, might have earned them some extra fans, but as it stands now, for most San Diegans, SDSU is out in the boonies over yonder by Santee. I will admit... Santee does have a nice Tractor Supply there LOL... do they have Tractor Supply in Utah yet???

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

WannabeAgAlum

Post by WannabeAgAlum » January 31st, 2023, 5:20 pm

Five meowmeowbeanz: B10, SEC, ACC
Four meowmeowbeanz: P12 and B12
Three meowmeowbeanz: AAC, MWC, CUSA
Two meowmeowbeanz: rest of conferences, not really sure, sun belt, etc.
One meowmeowbean: don't care.

I think we are destined to be threes and should be content with our gray turtle necks and stay regional. And always look down on the twos and ones.
These users thanked the author WannabeAgAlum for the post:
3rdGenAggie

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » January 31st, 2023, 6:06 pm

ViAggie wrote:
January 31st, 2023, 5:11 pm
LKGates wrote:

I'm with you on this one and I've been saying it all along, SDSU ads no real value to the PAC, they aren't replacing the LA market no way no how, most San Diegans don't want to drive east on the I-8 for any reason, especially a sporting event. SDSU doesn't even give the PAC the SoCal market by any stretch of the imagination. You aren't impressing recruits by playing FB games in Mission Valley, sorry. Had SDSU figured out a way to get a stadium DT SD, might have earned them some extra fans, but as it stands now, for most San Diegans, SDSU is out in the boonies over yonder by Santee. I will admit... Santee does have a nice Tractor Supply there LOL... do they have Tractor Supply in Utah yet???
I’m beautiful downtown Providence UT!
(The tractor supply question)
These users thanked the author GordoAggie for the post:
ViAggie

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » January 31st, 2023, 7:13 pm

SLB really isn’t that far off.

Clown him all you want, but we weren’t really qualified for the MWC, but due to geography and Need to survive, it made sense, so we got added. Eventually, with continued success, the PAC 12 is going to lose Oregon, Washington, Maybe the Arizonas, maybe Utah, and are going to expand again, leaving us as the Best Academic school, with quality athletics. In the fastest growing state in the west. Is it likely? No. Possible? Sure

Who out of the rest of the MWC would be eligible? I guess CSU, but they’re terrible, and are already in Colorado. Boise State, us, SDSU(if they’re not already there) Fresno are basically it.

Okay maybe PAC 12 goes and gets SMU(not likely, then and Memphis probably go B12).

Who else are they going to add? Either the top half of the MWC join the PAC or the MW becomes the new Power league by adding whatever is left of the Pac

AGGIE5
Has thanked: 0

Post by AGGIE5 » January 31st, 2023, 9:06 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
January 31st, 2023, 7:13 pm

Clown him all you want, but we weren’t really qualified for the MWC, but due to geography and Need to survive, it made sense, so we got added. Eventually, with continued success, the PAC 12 is going to lose Oregon, Washington, Maybe the Arizonas, maybe Utah, and are going to expand again, leaving us as the Best Academic school, with quality athletics. In the fastest growing state in the west. Is it likely? No. Possible? Sure

Who out of the rest of the MWC would be eligible? I guess CSU, but they’re terrible, and are already in Colorado. Boise State, us, SDSU(if they’re not already there) Fresno are basically it.

Okay maybe PAC 12 goes and gets SMU(not likely, then and Memphis probably go B12).

Who else are they going to add? Either the top half of the MWC join the PAC or the MW becomes the new Power league by adding whatever is left of the Pac

He’s pretty far off, honestly. CSU, Boise, SDSU and UNLV all get in before us. Why folks aren’t acknowledging UNLV as a possible addition to the PAC12 is odd to me. They basically replace one of the LA schools. INCREDIBLE market. New stadium. Storied basketball school and a tier 1 institution. We ain’t gettin in anytime soon. Like…decades or more. Just is what it is.
These users thanked the author AGGIE5 for the post (total 2):
Slim80ChowderAggie

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » January 31st, 2023, 9:37 pm

AGGIE5 wrote:
January 31st, 2023, 9:06 pm
Bullnamed_gus wrote:

He’s pretty far off, honestly. CSU, Boise, SDSU and UNLV all get in before us. Why folks aren’t acknowledging UNLV as a possible addition to the PAC12 is odd to me. They basically replace one of the LA schools. INCREDIBLE market. New stadium. Storied basketball school and a tier 1 institution. We ain’t gettin in anytime soon. Like…decades or more. Just is what it is.
UNLV has absolutely zero support, there is a reason why they’re STILL. a dumpster fire, but I agree, it’s a desirable market.

Thought experiment: Washington, Oregon, Utah, Go to the big 10, to be with UCLA and USC.

Arizona and Arizona State go Big 12.

Now there is currently 7 vacancies in the Pac 12. What seven schools are there out west? Boise, SDSU, Fresno, UNLV, Utah State, CSU. Who else has an argument? New Mexico? Not a chance. Wyoming? Reno? Nah.

They could try to go east, but again, they’re going at least to Texas to find a team of a potential fit. Maybe pry away someone from the current big 12? They’re staying out most likely. TV deal in the Big 12 would be better.

This only happens if Utah ends up leaving. Which is possible if the others leave, which is also possible. It’d be watered down, but it’s really not outside the realm of possibility

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 31st, 2023, 9:43 pm

Stanford and Cal really really really care about academics. There's an argument to be made that Boazy and Vegas get left out because of that. Wouldn't that be a kick to the crotch?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » January 31st, 2023, 10:01 pm

USU78 wrote:
January 31st, 2023, 9:43 pm
Stanford and Cal really really really care about academics. There's an argument to be made that Boazy and Vegas get left out because of that. Wouldn't that be a kick to the crotch?
Exactly! Stanford and Cal wouldn't be caught dead in the same conference as the donks. Boise has a great market and superb support, but their academics is nothing but a putrid smelly pile to those noses in Palo Alto and Berkeley.
These users thanked the author Slim80 for the post:
USU78

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » January 31st, 2023, 10:34 pm

USU78 wrote:

You could start in the crotch but eventually the entire body would be subject to complete and full abuse, much like the pathetic pseudo education offed by the Donks in Boise by transmission tech. UNLV does have some schools of interest but the big draw in Vegas is Las Vegas, make no mistake about that. After a short time in Vegas I-15 begins to look very attractive.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
USU78

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 1st, 2023, 6:15 am

Slim80 wrote:
January 31st, 2023, 10:01 pm
USU78 wrote:
Exactly! Stanford and Cal wouldn't be caught dead in the same conference as the donks. Boise has a great market and superb support, but their academics is nothing but a putrid smelly pile to those noses in Palo Alto and Berkeley.
Stanford is hoping for the Big 10 as well.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » February 1st, 2023, 7:25 am

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
January 31st, 2023, 9:37 pm
AGGIE5 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:

UNLV has absolutely zero support, there is a reason why they’re STILL. a dumpster fire, but I agree, it’s a desirable market.

Thought experiment: Washington, Oregon, Utah, Go to the big 10, to be with UCLA and USC.

Now there is currently 7 vacancies in the Pac 12. What seven schools are there out west? Boise, SDSU, Fresno, UNLV, Utah State, CSU. Who else has an argument? New Mexico? Not a chance. Wyoming? Reno? Nah.

They could try to go east, but again, they’re going at least to Texas to find a team of a potential fit. Maybe pry away someone from the current big 12? They’re staying out most likely. TV deal in the Big 12 would be better.

This only happens if Utah ends up leaving. Which is possible if the others leave, which is also possible. It’d be watered down, but it’s really not outside the realm of possibility
The P5 idea really is that far off and isn’t realistic.

AGGIE5
Has thanked: 0

Post by AGGIE5 » February 1st, 2023, 7:33 am

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
AGGIE5 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:

If Oregon, Washington, Utah etc etc etc leave the PAC12, the conference would most likely fold in my opinion.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » February 1st, 2023, 8:01 am

AGGIE5 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
AGGIE5 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:

If Oregon, Washington, Utah etc etc etc leave the PAC12, the conference would most likely fold in my opinion.
It certainly would not remain a P5. If they did stay a conference , it would just be a regular G5 conference similar to the current MWC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post:
apo

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » February 1st, 2023, 8:49 am

FeartheFro wrote:
February 1st, 2023, 8:01 am
AGGIE5 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
AGGIE5 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:

It certainly would not remain a P5. If they did stay a conference , it would just be a regular G5 conference similar to the current MWC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oregon State, Washington State, Cal, Stanford, Colorado plus the best of the MWC would for sure be a P5. Just the worst one

USUaggie

Post by USUaggie » February 1st, 2023, 9:24 am

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
February 1st, 2023, 8:49 am

Oregon State, Washington State, Cal, Stanford, Colorado plus the best of the MWC would for sure be a P5. Just the worst one
Yea, right. The correct answer is they may be the best of the G whatever.

Full

Post by Full » February 1st, 2023, 11:12 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
February 1st, 2023, 7:25 am
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
AGGIE5 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:

If by P5 you mean Oregon State, Washington State, and one or two more schools left in the PAC-12 it’s not a leap. If by P5 you mean $40 million or more in TV rights, then your correct. If two of Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Cal jump to the B1G that causes ASU, Arizona, Colorado, and Utah to jump to the Big 12. That leaves the PAC-12 with Oregon State, Washington State, and two of Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Cal. At that point these schools would need 8 schools, and we know everyone in the MW would jump at the first opportunity.

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » February 1st, 2023, 11:19 am

Full wrote:
February 1st, 2023, 11:12 am
ratofallaggies wrote:
February 1st, 2023, 7:25 am
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
AGGIE5 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:

If by P5 you mean Oregon State, Washington State, and one or two more schools left in the PAC-12 it’s not a leap. If by P5 you mean $40 million or more in TV rights, then your correct. If two of Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Cal jump to the B1G that causes ASU, Arizona, Colorado, and Utah to jump to the Big 12. That leaves the PAC-12 with Oregon State, Washington State, and two of Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Cal. At that point these schools would need 8 schools, and we know everyone in the MW would jump at the first opportunity.
Correct, would actually be a huge jump up. Dumping the baggage of our conference and joining higher schools, with access to the playoff, would be great.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » February 1st, 2023, 11:29 am

GordoAggie wrote:
January 31st, 2023, 6:06 pm
ViAggie wrote:
LKGates wrote:

makes sense Utah would have a tractor supply LOL

Hoot

Post by Hoot » February 1st, 2023, 12:51 pm

ViAggie wrote:
February 1st, 2023, 11:29 am
GordoAggie wrote:
January 31st, 2023, 6:06 pm
ViAggie wrote:
LKGates wrote:

makes sense Utah would have a tractor supply LOL
I’ve got beef with tractor supply. They’re shady go for an alternative when possible.

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 1st, 2023, 1:38 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
February 1st, 2023, 8:49 am
Someone tell PrimeTime "We're Coming". :devil:

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » February 1st, 2023, 4:29 pm

The problem I see is that the current P2+ and the TV networks know all this as well, and they aren't about to agree to playoff deal and TV rights that are going to prop up a depleted PAC12. They would much rather have the world be P2 (or P4 maybe) and everyone else. I just don't see a possible reality in the future where USU can haul much more money than what we are currently getting regardless of what the name of the conference we are in happens to be.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 1st, 2023, 4:37 pm

From an academics standpoint, USU does quite well compared to other regional schools. Especially considering the handicap of not having a school of law, medicine, or dentistry at the university. Compare endowments for some of these schools:

Washington State. $1.3B
Arizona State: $1.25B
Oregon State: $820M
Utah State: $510M
University of Nevada: $368M
San Diego state: $353M
UNLV: $306M
Boise State: $156M

It's athletic budget that hurts USU. They are lower tier in athletic budget in the MW. Throw them in with the PAC leftovers, and USU is bottom of the barrel.

Eutaw St. Aggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » February 4th, 2023, 4:06 pm

apparently if/when SDSU leaves, if they do so before June 1st of this year, they'll owe the MWC 3 times their media rights per the conference agreement (approx $15 million), not sure what the other penalties are to leave, but I think it would also require a lump sum payout as well (unless SDSU and Bozo were able to negotiate lower pay outs to leave, but the media rights forfeiture was set in stone).

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » February 6th, 2023, 10:32 am

The MWC screwed up by not adding North Texas and UTSA when they had the opportunity.

I'm not sure the MWC could even add Texas State anymore, since the Sun Belt Conference has looked pretty stable.

That leaves Conference USA as the only available pool, and the only 2 schools there that make any geographic sense are probably UTEP or NM State.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » February 6th, 2023, 10:50 am

Tetonkatest wrote:
February 6th, 2023, 10:32 am
The MWC screwed up by not adding North Texas and UTSA when they had the opportunity.

I'm not sure the MWC could even add Texas State anymore, since the Sun Belt Conference has looked pretty stable.

That leaves Conference USA as the only available pool, and the only 2 schools there that make any geographic sense are probably UTEP or NM State.

UTEP and NMSU currently make sense given the landscape we are living in. Economics and politics will influence any conference alignment changes in the future. I would also note that separation fees against a school leaving a league are now formidable, further complicating possible affiliation moves.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » February 6th, 2023, 5:28 pm

Yossarian wrote:
February 1st, 2023, 4:37 pm
From an academics standpoint, USU does quite well compared to other regional schools. Especially considering the handicap of not having a school of law, medicine, or dentistry at the university. Compare endowments for some of these schools:

Washington State. $1.3B
Arizona State: $1.25B
Oregon State: $820M
Utah State: $510M
University of Nevada: $368M
San Diego state: $353M
UNLV: $306M
Boise State: $156M

It's athletic budget that hurts USU. They are lower tier in athletic budget in the MW. Throw them in with the PAC leftovers, and USU is bottom of the barrel.

We must choose our barrel carefully. Our Athletic leadership has successfully pursued almost 60 years of self isolation by avoiding working to advance our profile along the Wasatch Front. Benson vs. Bountiful? .... I rest my case.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » February 7th, 2023, 8:44 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
February 6th, 2023, 10:50 am
Tetonkatest wrote:

UTEP and NMSU currently make sense given the landscape we are living in. Economics and politics will influence any conference alignment changes in the future. I would also note that separation fees against a school leaving a league are now formidable, further complicating possible affiliation moves.
we would have no problem taking UTEP (they are likely actively pushing for membership) but NMSU might be tricky since they recently agreed to join CUSA and there might be some hefty penalties for leaving early. :noidea:

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » February 7th, 2023, 10:28 am

ViAggie wrote:
February 7th, 2023, 8:44 am
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
February 6th, 2023, 10:50 am
Tetonkatest wrote:

we would have no problem taking UTEP (they are likely actively pushing for membership) but NMSU might be tricky since they recently agreed to join CUSA and there might be some hefty penalties for leaving early. :no idea:

Solid post ViAggie. Yes, I was surprised the NewMags could pony up enough coin to pay the entrance fee for CUSA,,, barring the possibility the NewMags got a discounted entry fee to join and could even disengage for a low ball penalty. And even then, does the MWC look interesting enough for Las Cruses to make the jump? The Lobos have a hard on for NMSU, just like Utah does for our USU. Things are looking pretty loose in the world of conference alignments... stay tuned all.

RogerAndersen

Post by RogerAndersen » February 7th, 2023, 10:41 am

I have zero idea on how NMSU is pulling off the finances side of things with CUSA, or if they even truly are, but I do believe that if the MWC coud put together a package to attract or both UTEP/NMSU, the league should do it.

1. Strengthen the MWC overall in the G5 landscape/pecking order against potential future defections (SDSU, BSU)
2. Strengthen the MWC overall presence in West Texas.
3. Further protect against future western incursions by CUSA.
3. Firmly tug UTEP/NMSU into the Mountain West geographical and rivalry footprint.
These users thanked the author RogerAndersen for the post:
ShowMeAggie

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » February 7th, 2023, 10:56 am

No to UTEP and nmsu
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post (total 3):
slcaggNaked Bull Rider88USUAggie

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » February 7th, 2023, 11:57 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
February 7th, 2023, 10:56 am
No to UTEP and nmsu
Have to agree. UTEP & NMSU add next to nothing for the MWC. They share the same designated media market which is not ideal to begin with but then consider it is also the #92 ranked media market in the country. So not only will neither factor into new/better TV rights for the conference but neither one offers a name brand in either of the revenue generating sports. There was a time when both had decent hoops programs but that time is not now.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
Naked Bull Rider

ususports

Post by ususports » February 7th, 2023, 12:42 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
February 7th, 2023, 10:28 am
The Lobos have a hard on for NMSU, just like Utah does for our USU.
I don't think you know what a hard on is, or if you do, you are not using it right. And yes, TWSS

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » February 7th, 2023, 1:03 pm

Dear lord, let this thread die.

If you're going to jump in and post about your hopes that the conference somehow adds the likes of the Dakotas/Montana(s)/NMSU/UTEP, please present a better argument than "Geography" or "Strength in Numbers".

If you can't make a case for why and how adding those schools would somehow make the conference's media rights deal more profitable, then you don't have an argument.

None of those schools move the needle. Accept it.
These users thanked the author Naked Bull Rider for the post:
2004AG

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » February 7th, 2023, 1:14 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
February 7th, 2023, 1:03 pm
Dear lord, let this thread die.

If you're going to jump in and post about your hopes that the conference somehow adds the likes of the Dakotas/Montana(s)/NMSU/UTEP, please present a better argument than "Geography" or "Strength in Numbers".

If you can't make a case for why and how adding those schools would somehow make the conference's media rights deal more profitable, then you don't have an argument.

None of those schools move the needle. Accept it.
Zombie Thread *BRAINS I NEED BRAINS* sorry couldn't help it

What does UTEP and NMSU add to the MWC? Would it make sense to invite either if SDSU left? Does losing SDSU hurt the MWC in terms of market? Not sure, I do know they represent warm bodies, and if that's all we need to survive, then sure. It certainly doesn't hurt us geographically, right now we only have on member in the southwest, adding 1-2 more southwestern teams could benefit us with travel. I realize that we don't have to have divisions, but it might not be a bad idea for olympic sports to break us up into two divisions to save on travel costs.

Iduno.... :noidea:

Locked Previous topicNext topic