New Mexico

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AGGIE5
Has thanked: 0

New Mexico

Post by AGGIE5 » January 27th, 2023, 10:33 am

Did anyone notice that New Mexico cleaned house in the final days of the transfer window? They signed at least 6 P5 players in a 72 hour period. Our recruiting this year was absolutely terrible. I’m not too impressed with the Blake Anderson show at the moment. Recruiting, scandals, bad coaching, mass exodus of players and talking sh*t to the fan base. If we don’t get to a bow this season, Blake needs to find a new home. 2 season in and I’m already tired of his program. This is pathetic. Go Aggies.

FloridaAggie13

Re: New Mexico

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 27th, 2023, 10:38 am

Meh, so they picked up some players at 2:55 AM that no one else was biting on.

BustaMcNutt

Post by BustaMcNutt » January 27th, 2023, 10:38 am

Lots of valid points. But at this point, I’d still prefer this to New Mexico. They did bring in quite a few transfers, but they’ve been awful under Gonzalez. Maybe they’re making the right changes. Just like I hope we’re making the right changes. I agree it feels like we’re on a downwards trajectory.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 27th, 2023, 10:40 am

Tell us how good New Mexico has been the last several years? The December signing day class for the Aggies was actually really solid. I do agree that Blake needs to fix some things in the program as this last season was pretty meh. I am also willing to give him some leeway based on what he went through with his son last year.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
pdyebrasil

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » January 27th, 2023, 10:40 am

Ummm, we did get to a bowl this season. Our recruiting year was actually pretty good. We had . I'd take it over UNM for sure, but that isn't who to measure by. We signed 3 of our top 10 rated recruits ever and 2 of our top 5 this year.

We are rolling the dice and playing moneyball a little that the xfer portal is over recruited and the JCs hare under-recruited...and also have pandemic era kids that would have normally been FBS players from the get-go.

Every team has a mass exodus of players now. Just the way it is...but I think the DL problem could have been fixed sooner for sure.

Not a fan of the way he dealt with the fanbase last year and I have concern about the scandals, but he already showed he could fix a dumpster fire before and the situation is nowhere near as bad as what he walked into and he made that team into MWC champs.

But things to me don't seems as bad as they do to you.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 8):
Aggie84025aggies22AgliciousFloridaAggie13vegasaggieJSHarveySlim80AggieFBObsession

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 27th, 2023, 10:51 am

I'll worry about this when we start losing to UNM on a consistent basis. It could happen, but at this point, I'm not going to get all upset about something that may not matter in 2023.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
ljdent

Hoot

Post by Hoot » January 27th, 2023, 10:52 am

I know Blake’s going to call the plays but are we going to change our impotent offensive scheme?

If it all works out then great but coming off of last season I’m not feeling optimistic.

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

AGGIE5

Post by AGGIE5 » January 27th, 2023, 11:23 am

NVAggie wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 10:51 am
I'll worry about this when we start losing to UNM on a consistent basis. It could happen, but at this point, I'm not going to get all upset about something that may not matter in 2023.

Okay. But can you be upset about all the other stuff I mentioned? Or does nothing really matter?

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 27th, 2023, 11:36 am

It's simply not true that our recruiting was terrible this year. It was the highest rated class we've ever had (for those who are worried about such things). The D-Line exodus is a problem and I'd still like to see some solid EDGE guys come in, but overall the recruiting this year was very good for USU standards.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyAggieFBObsession

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

AGGIE5

Post by AGGIE5 » January 27th, 2023, 11:40 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 11:36 am
It's simply not true that our recruiting was terrible this year. It was the highest rated class we've ever had (for those who are worried about such things). The D-Line exodus is a problem and I'd still like to see some solid EDGE guys come in, but overall the recruiting this year was very good for USU standards.
How is that possible when we’ve ranked higher than 109th in the nation in previous years? There’s no way this is our highest rated class. Cite sources, please.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 27th, 2023, 11:44 am

AGGIE5 wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 10:33 am
Did anyone notice that New Mexico cleaned house in the final days of the transfer window? They signed at least 6 P5 players in a 72 hour period. Our recruiting this year was absolutely terrible. I’m not too impressed with the Blake Anderson show at the moment. Recruiting, scandals, bad coaching, mass exodus of players and talking sh*t to the fan base. If we don’t get to a bow this season, Blake needs to find a new home. 2 season in and I’m already tired of his program. This is pathetic. Go Aggies.
Yes, I can address that. I don't really get too worked up about recruiting because I care more about what they do on the field. I am upset about the scandals, not just with Blake, but the entire university. I believe those are being handled. I didn't have a problem with what Blake said when taken in its entirety. When talking about bad coaching, I believe those are being addressed right now. Tucker is gone. I wasn't happy about how they handled the quarterback issues last season early on. Mass exodus of players will start to become more normal, at least for several years due to a toothless NCAA. We will see how Blake deals with this. I think it will be a learning curve for most programs. I wasn't a fan for how he talked to the fan base last season. I felt like it was unnecessary. I will give him a pass with everything going on in his personal life. It is his job to fix everything with the fanbase. I believe it will be forgotten with every win we enjoy. The most egregious issue with last season was losing to Weber at home by a lot. That isn't acceptable. He did turn things around a bit and picked up some wins. I am cautiously optimistic about next season. It could be pretty good if some players step up.

He gets a little slack from me because the LA Bowl was a lot of fun.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 6):
ViAggieaggies22newtonianbluevegasaggieJSHarveyAggieFBObsession

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 27th, 2023, 11:46 am

AGGIE5 wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 11:40 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
How is that possible when we’ve ranked higher than 109th in the nation in previous years? There’s no way this is our highest rated class. Cite sources, please.
Half our class was JuCo guys who aren't ranked the same by 247. 247 doesn't have a single one of the JuCo guys ranked. That's not because none are good enough, but because 247 hasn't spent the time to do so. Unless the big boys are eyeing a prospect, JuCo kids often don't get rankings, yet they are still put into the overall school score as a 0* recruit.

The average star ranking of our HS kids is higher than ever. For example, among our list of "all time highest recruits" 3 of the top 10 are 2023 recruits, including numbers 2 and 3 (Ta'ala and Davis, followed by Sia at 7.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22flying_scotsman2.0

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » January 27th, 2023, 11:51 am

"Winning a conference championship last year and making a bowl game this year means nothing, we should be more like a team that hasn't won more than 3 games in a season since 2016 and has only made two bowl games since 2008" certainly isn't a take I expected to see today.
These users thanked the author aggieguy13 for the post (total 7):
Aglicioustreesap32Aggie84025flying_scotsman2.0AGinNEIowaFloridaAggie13AggieFBObsession

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 27th, 2023, 11:53 am

AGGIE5 wrote:
1. I don't really care what New Mexico is up to. They just signed a bunch of dudes to plug holes just like Coach Anderson did in 2021. We'll see how it plays out.

2. Recruiting. This year's class is a pretty good one. A handful of highly rated dudes, JuCo guys would have been FBS guys had many of them not lost their senior year of high school to covid. Because the State of Utah played out a full high school season many people forget that much of the country did not.

3. Scandals. I try not to get involved here. I have very good sources that have allowed me to form my own opinion. Much of what has gone down happened before Coach Anderson got here. I will say that what Coach Anderson and the Police Chief said while it could have been delivered in a different manner and could have left out specifically naming "LDS" young ladies. It's not something I haven't told my own young adult sons a million times.

4. Bad Coaching. I think this has been handled. Anthony Tucker is no longer on campus and a new Defensive Line Coach will eventually be named. A couple of grad assistants made a poor decision and were dismissed immediately.

5. Mass exodus of players. Not really players, just a specific position group. I think this could have been avoided had the decision to make a change in the defensive line coach been made sooner rather than later. Oh, well. While there was talent there, there was also some disruptive behavior taking place as well.

6. Talking sh*t to the fan base. I didn't dig the delivery. It came after an INEXCUSABLE loss and a lot of frustration was being vented in a very poor manner. Coaches and players alike shouldn't bite the hand that feeds and that is the fanbase. HONESTLY, who hasn't become frustrated or angry and said something they wished they could take back?

7. BIake needs to get to a bowl game or else. I think if we get to a bowl game this season and win 8 or more games in the process, Coach Anderson will be moving on to a new home on his own.
Last edited by aggies22 on January 27th, 2023, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 6):
flying_scotsman2.0FloridaAggie13vegasaggieJSHarveyutaggiesAggieFBObsession

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 27th, 2023, 11:55 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 11:46 am
AGGIE5 wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Half our class was JuCo guys who aren't ranked the same by 247. 247 doesn't have a single one of the JuCo guys ranked. That's not because none are good enough, but because 247 hasn't spent the time to do so. Unless the big boys are eyeing a prospect, JuCo kids often don't get rankings, yet they are still put into the overall school score as a 0* recruit.

The average star ranking of our HS kids is higher than ever. For example, among our list of "all time highest recruits" 3 of the top 10 are 2023 recruits, including numbers 2 and 3 (Ta'ala and Davis, followed by Sia at 7.
There used to be this guy that would create profiles and submit our JuCo guys to be evaluated and ranked but then 247sports decided they didn't give a $hit about Utah State or G5 schools in general, so that guy started his own website to cover Utah State recruiting.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 7):
3rdGenAggiecvalFromLItoLoganflying_scotsman2.0DreadPirateRobertsvegasaggieAggieFBObsession

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 27th, 2023, 12:06 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 11:55 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 11:46 am
AGGIE5 wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

There used to be this guy that would create profiles and submit our JuCo guys to be evaluated and ranked but then 247sports decided they didn't give a $hit about Utah State or G5 schools in general, so that guy started his own website to cover Utah State recruiting.
Yeah, that new website is better anyway.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 3):
aggies22flying_scotsman2.0AggieFBObsession

AGGIE5

Post by AGGIE5 » January 27th, 2023, 12:06 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 11:51 am
"Winning a conference championship last year and making a bowl game this year means nothing, we should be more like a team that hasn't won more than 3 games in a season since 2016 and has only made two bowl games since 2008" certainly isn't a take I expected to see today.
That’s because you didn’t see this take at all. You’re just being purposely obtuse and completely ignoring everything else I said. Thats what dumb fans do. Don’t be a dumb fan. It’s stupid.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 27th, 2023, 12:08 pm

AGGIE5 wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 12:06 pm
aggieguy13 wrote:
That’s because you didn’t see this take at all. You’re just being purposely obtuse and completely ignoring everything else I said. Thats what dumb fans do. Don’t be a dumb fan. It’s stupid.
I see you joined the board less than 60 days ago. How long have you been a fan?

AGGIE5

Post by AGGIE5 » January 27th, 2023, 12:14 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 12:08 pm
AGGIE5 wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:
38 years and 6 months. Why?

AGGIE5

Post by AGGIE5 » January 27th, 2023, 12:17 pm

aggies22 wrote:
AGGIE5 wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:

38 years and 6 months. My family have supported USU since 1888, though.
These users thanked the author AGGIE5 for the post (total 2):
aggies22flying_scotsman2.0

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 27th, 2023, 12:17 pm

aggies22 wrote:
AGGIE5 wrote:
1. I don't really care what New Mexico is up to. They just signed a bunch of dudes to plug holes just like Coach Anderson did in 2021. We'll see how it plays out.

2. Recruiting. This year's class is a pretty good one. A handful of highly rated dudes, JuCo guys would have been FBS guys had many of them not lost their senior year of high school to covid. Because the State of Utah played out a full high school season many people forget that much of the country did not.

3. Scandals. I try not to get involved here. I have very good sources that have led allowed me to form my own opinion. Much of what has gone down happened before Coach Anderson got here. I will say that what Coach Anderson and the Police Chief said while it could have been delivered in a different manner and could have left out specifically naming "LDS" young ladies. It's not something I haven't told my own young adult sons a million times.

4. Bad Coaching. I think this has been handled. Anthony Tucker is no longer on campus and a new Defensive Line Coach will eventually be named. A couple of grad assistants made a poor decision and were dismissed immediately.

5. Mass exodus of players. Not really players, just a specific position group. I think this could have been avoided had the decision to make a change in the defensive line coach been made sooner rather than later. Oh, well. While there was talent there, there was also some disruptive behavior taking place as well.

6. Talking sh*t to the fan base. I didn't dig the delivery. It came after an INEXCUSABLE loss and a lot of frustration was being vented in a very poor manner. Coaches and players alike shouldn't bite the hand that feeds and that is the fanbase. HONESTLY, who hasn't become frustrated or angry and said something they wished they could take back?

7. BIake needs to get to a bowl game or else. I think if we get to a bowl game this season and win 8 or more games in the process, Coach Anderson will be moving on to a new home on his own.
Thanks for summing up my thoughts exactly 22! Saved me some time!
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
aggies22

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » January 27th, 2023, 12:20 pm

AGGIE5 wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:
You said two seasons in and you're already tired of his program; one of those seasons was one of the best seasons in the history of the program. That's a wild take, with or without the New Mexico part of it.
These users thanked the author aggieguy13 for the post:
JSHarvey

AGGIE5

Post by AGGIE5 » January 27th, 2023, 12:22 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 12:20 pm
AGGIE5 wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:
You said two seasons in and you're already tired of his program; one of those seasons was one of the best seasons in the history of the program. That's a wild take, with or without the New Mexico part of it.

Yes. Only two season in and Blake’s being sued, along with the university. Our AD was (I can't express myself without swearing) canned and we’ve made local and National news with Blakes comments about rape/sexual assault. Apologies for my morals.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 27th, 2023, 12:22 pm

AGGIE5 wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 12:17 pm
aggies22 wrote:
AGGIE5 wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:

Sounds good! With you just joining, I was just curious if you were new to our fanbase. Welcome to the board my Aggie brother!

AGGIE5

Post by AGGIE5 » January 27th, 2023, 12:24 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 12:22 pm
AGGIE5 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
AGGIE5 wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:

Sounds good! With you just joining, I was just curious if you were new to our fanbase. Welcome to the board my Aggie brother!
Appreciate you and your work, Brian.
These users thanked the author AGGIE5 for the post:
aggies22

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 27th, 2023, 12:25 pm

AGGIE5 wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:
AGGIE5 wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:

Yes. Only two season in and Blake’s being sued, along with the university. Our AD was (I can't express myself without swearing) canned and we’ve made local and National news with Blakes comments about rape/sexual assault. Apologies for my morals.
The Pat Maddox thing is a bull$hit money grab. He's trying to con the court system into believing he had a future career in professional football and cash-in. IF Pat were such a baller, why wasn't he plucked out of the transfer portal by a P5 school?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
jackattack

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 27th, 2023, 12:25 pm

AGGIE5 wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 12:24 pm
aggies22 wrote:
AGGIE5 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
AGGIE5 wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:

Appreciate you and your work, Brian.
Thank you for the compliment my man!
PIGSKINAGGIE

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 27th, 2023, 12:47 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 11:53 am
AGGIE5 wrote:
What are the odds Mr. Bonner hangs around as a grad assistant? Seems like he could have a solid career in coaching, but I admittedly don't know him at all personally.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 27th, 2023, 12:49 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 12:47 pm
aggies22 wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 11:53 am
AGGIE5 wrote:
What are the odds Mr. Bonner hangs around as a grad assistant? Seems like he could have a solid career in coaching, but I admittedly don't know him at all personally.
IF Logan does not end up coaching here at Utah State, I 100% believe he will end up hitching his coaching career to the Blake Anderson coaching tree sooner than later.

AGGIE5

Post by AGGIE5 » January 27th, 2023, 12:54 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 12:25 pm
AGGIE5 wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:
AGGIE5 wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:

The Pat Maddox thing is a bull$hit money grab. He's trying to con the court system into believing he had a future career in professional football and cash-in. IF Pat were such a baller, why wasn't he plucked out of the transfer portal by a P5 school?
But he was still silenced for speaking out about what was said concerning sexual assault/rape. Which again, you’ve purposely ignored. Does that not matter to you? If not, I hope you don’t have children.

AGGIE5

Post by AGGIE5 » January 27th, 2023, 12:57 pm

AGGIE5 wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 12:54 pm
aggies22 wrote:
AGGIE5 wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:
AGGIE5 wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:

But he was still silenced for speaking out about what was said concerning sexual assault/rape. Which again, you’ve purposely ignored. Does that not matter to you? If not, I hope you don’t have children.
Why are we all ignoring the things Anderson said about this? I agree, Patrick may be trying to get some money. Which is pathetic. But the original issue was that he was apparently bullied because he took issue with how the coaching staff and university handled the sexual assault allegations. Former players have spoken out about this as well. I’m sorry, but off the field stuff matters even more to me the an our play on the field. USU has a terrible track record with this. And as an alumn and lifelong Cache Valley resident and lover of all things USU, this hurts and needed to stop yesterday.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 27th, 2023, 1:01 pm

AGGIE5 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
AGGIE5 wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:
AGGIE5 wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:

Regardless of what is being said in the papers, Pat and the Flint woman did not know each other.
Ahbye

AGGIE5

Post by AGGIE5 » January 27th, 2023, 1:09 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 1:01 pm
AGGIE5 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
AGGIE5 wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:
AGGIE5 wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:

Regardless of what is being said in the papers, Pat and the Flint woman did not know each other.

I just really don’t like the negative press concerning rape/assault we continue to keep getting. Something is rotten and it needs to be fixed. Maybe Blake isn’t the issue and it’s above him. I know Hartwell was an absolute scum bag. So maybe the problem will be solved with him stinking up a different program. We’ll see. Again, appreciate your work. I’ve had a lot of good info on USU athletics since you’ve taken over
These users thanked the author AGGIE5 for the post (total 2):
aggies22Ahbye

middleageag

Post by middleageag » January 27th, 2023, 1:11 pm

sounds like someone's "Knowledge" is full of opinion and maybe not a lot of fact. As for me and my house, I'll trust Aggies22 and the cop dude who posts here.
These users thanked the author middleageag for the post (total 4):
LarryTheAggieaggies22AGinNEIowaAhbye

The Truth

Post by The Truth » January 27th, 2023, 1:20 pm

AGGIE5 wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 12:57 pm
AGGIE5 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
AGGIE5 wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:
AGGIE5 wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:

Why are we all ignoring the things Anderson said about this? I agree, Patrick may be trying to get some money. Which is pathetic. But the original issue was that he was apparently bullied because he took issue with how the coaching staff and university handled the sexual assault allegations. Former players have spoken out about this as well. I’m sorry, but off the field stuff matters even more to me the an our play on the field. USU has a terrible track record with this. And as an alumn and lifelong Cache Valley resident and lover of all things USU, this hurts and needed to stop yesterday.
sounds like you have some catchin up to do or at least go educate yourself about the full video/transcript of what was said. coach Anderson didn't say anything derogatory toward women, in fact he said the exact opposite and straight up told his players not to look to him for protection because he will be first in line to see that they get whatever is coming their way if they are guilty of anything to do with the mistreatment of women. you can search these forums and review all the conversations that were had about what was reported by the media verses the entire context of what was said. all of the allegations and university level "scandals" happened before Blake was hired. he was hired to come in and help clean house but somehow gets brought into the conversation now because of the aftermath that is still happening.

i'm not sure what former players you're referring to but numerous players came out when Patrick made his claims about being targeted and called BS. the press is always going to look for clicks and sensationalism, painting USU in a bad light seems to achieve that. our built-in little brother syndrome as a fan base only further fuels this.
These users thanked the author The Truth for the post (total 4):
AGinNEIowaJSHarveyjackattackSlim80

Locked Previous topicNext topic