Marquis Montgomery

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FromLItoLogan

Re: Marquis Montgomery

Post by FromLItoLogan » January 21st, 2023, 3:24 pm

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
January 21st, 2023, 3:22 pm
Looks like Marquis isn’t coming to Logan.

Can't blame the dude with all the attention he's gotten recently but still disappointed we couldn't lock him down before he got the attention.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 21st, 2023, 3:42 pm

At least it’s not byu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 21st, 2023, 3:45 pm

I have a feeling this is a guy who let some walk-on offers go to his head so he could put those logos on a tweet to look good.

Cal would be my guess - the others are not places he will see the field and may not even be on scholarship. Something doesn't add up about his tape versus the offer list. He does have great size but if that's all it took to get P5 offers there would be a bunch of 6'-4"+ WRs at all those places.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 21st, 2023, 3:54 pm

2004AG wrote:
January 21st, 2023, 3:42 pm
At least it’s not byu.

I think they probably removed their offer and moved on about when we did. Probably for the same reasons.

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » January 21st, 2023, 4:01 pm

Aglicious wrote:
January 21st, 2023, 3:54 pm
2004AG wrote:
At least it’s not byu.

I think they probably removed their offer and moved on about when we did. Probably for the same reasons.
It Seemed like the staff saw how he was leveraging us and Walk On Offers to just try get more offers, so they bounced. Probably not a great fit here anyway.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 22nd, 2023, 12:50 pm

I reiterate what I said earlier. He runs a 4.8 in the forty and gets zero separation from the CB on his highlight reels. He makes the catch because he is 6'4 playing against a JC cornerback.

Moving up a level in competition, an athletic D1 6'0 CB is going to be successful against him in jump ball situations and certainly isn't going to get beat deep unless he falls down.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 22nd, 2023, 1:37 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:I reiterate what I said earlier. He runs a 4.8 in the forty and gets zero separation from the CB on his highlight reels. He makes the catch because he is 6'4 playing against a JC cornerback.

Moving up a level in competition, an athletic D1 6'0 CB is going to be successful against him in jump ball situations and certainly isn't going to get beat deep unless he falls down.
Well at least he had offers besides black hills state and pikesville.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » January 25th, 2023, 6:53 am

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
January 21st, 2023, 4:01 pm
Aglicious wrote:
January 21st, 2023, 3:54 pm
2004AG wrote:
At least it’s not byu.

It Seemed like the staff saw how he was leveraging us and Walk On Offers to just try get more offers, so they bounced. Probably not a great fit here anyway.

You may be spot on Gus. I'd not thought about that angle. USU offers a true college experience in a relatively safe town, plus all the activities of college life. At first glance some may wonder, but USU is a complete higher educational experience. Been there and done that.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 25th, 2023, 8:43 am

2004AG wrote:
January 22nd, 2023, 1:37 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:I reiterate what I said earlier. He runs a 4.8 in the forty and gets zero separation from the CB on his highlight reels. He makes the catch because he is 6'4 playing against a JC cornerback.

Not sure why that matters. Are we recruiting based upon popularity? Regardless of who recruits him, he still runs a 4.8 and can't separate from a JC corner on a go route.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 25th, 2023, 9:23 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
January 25th, 2023, 8:43 am
2004AG wrote:

Not sure why that matters. Are we recruiting based upon popularity? Regardless of who recruits him, he still runs a 4.8 and can't separate from a JC corner on a go route.
It matters because there are over a hundred head coaches in D1 football and many hundreds of assistants who's full time jobs are to scout and find good players. They are compensated VERY WELL to be good at their job and find good players.

Do coaches make mistakes? Absolutely.

Are there players that fall through the cracks? No question.

If you were a betting man, would you want a roster of players recruited by Pikesville, Black Hills State and Colorado Mines, or a roster of players recruited by byu, Colorado State, UNLV, Boise State, Utah, Oregon State? Which roster do you think would win more games? Its not a complicated prospect.

You aren't a paid college coach, and neither am I, but clearly the coaches recruiting Montgomery, that make MILLIONS, see something in him than you don't. I'm good with that.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 25th, 2023, 9:42 am

2004AG wrote:
January 25th, 2023, 9:23 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

It matters because there are over a hundred head coaches in D1 football and many hundreds of assistants who's full time jobs are to scout and find good players. They are compensated VERY WELL to be good at their job and find good players.

If you were a betting man, would you want a roster of players recruited by Pikesville, Black Hills State and Colorado Mines, or a roster of players recruited by byu, Colorado State, UNLV, Boise State, Utah, Oregon State? Which roster do you think would win more games? Its not a complicated prospect.

You aren't a paid college coach, and neither am I, but clearly the coaches recruiting Montgomery, that make MILLIONS, see something in him than you don't. I'm good with that.
But like it’s not the mere fact of being recruited by those schools that make someone attractive. It’s the underlying “why”…

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 25th, 2023, 9:43 am

2004AG wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Do we know these other teams actively scouted him? How do we know they didn't offer simply because he is 6'4 and once one school offered it triggered other schools to offer?

All I know is I'm not going ba77s deep for a WR that runs a 4.8 and can't separate from a JC cornerback, regardless of which other teams show interest. If he runs a 4.8 then he probably runs a 5.1 or worse, in pads, while hand jockeying a DB; if he's listed at 6'4, then he's probably only 6'3. I think he could contribute, but I'm not losing sleep over a tall, slow receiver choosing another school.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 25th, 2023, 9:45 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
January 25th, 2023, 9:43 am
2004AG wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Do we know these other teams actively scouted him? How do we know they didn't offer simply because he is 6'4 and once one school offered it triggered other schools to offer?

All I know is I'm not going ba77s deep for a WR that runs a 4.8 and can't separate from a JC cornerback, regardless of which other teams show interest. If he runs a 4.8 then he probably runs a 5.1 or worse, in pads, while hand jockeying a DB; if he's listed at 6'4, then he's probably only 6'3. I think he could contribute, but I'm not losing sleep over a tall, slow receiver choosing another school.
If it matters to anyone and I'm sure it doesn't, somewhere buried in this thread I reported that Marquis told me he was laser timed at 4.6.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 25th, 2023, 9:50 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
January 25th, 2023, 9:42 am
2004AG wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

But like it’s not the mere fact of being recruited by those schools that make someone attractive. It’s the underlying “why”…
I'm not a college scout or recruiter, but I'd imagine its because he runs a 4.6 and is 6'4" and runs good routes.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 25th, 2023, 9:52 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Nobody is balls deep or losing sleep over him, but apparently many people think he can play.

You're entitled to your opinion that he sucks and you can wish he only had offers from the school of the Deaf and Blind.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 25th, 2023, 9:57 am

2004AG wrote:
January 25th, 2023, 9:52 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Nobody is balls deep or losing sleep over him, but apparently many people think he can play.

You're entitled to your opinion that he sucks and you can wish he only had offers from the school of the Deaf and Blind.
Yeah, I didn't say anything like that.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 25th, 2023, 9:59 am

aggies22 wrote:
January 25th, 2023, 9:45 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

If it matters to anyone and I'm sure it doesn't, somewhere buried in this thread I reported that Marquis told me he was laser timed at 4.6.
He also claimed we were at the top of his list.

AGGIEFIGHT
Has thanked: 0

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » January 25th, 2023, 10:16 am

I heard we were visiting one last recruit in the Miami area this week. Any idea of who that would be
These users thanked the author AGGIEFIGHT for the post:
aggies22

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 25th, 2023, 10:24 am

2004AG wrote:
January 25th, 2023, 9:50 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
2004AG wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

I'm not a college scout or recruiter, but I'd imagine its because he runs a 4.6 and is 6'4" and runs good routes.
I agree with this esp. if it translated on the field.

I agree with Florida though that the mere fact of specific offers isn’t enough.

The star rating system seems to boost people with an assumption that offers = quality which isn’t always true

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 25th, 2023, 10:44 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
2004AG wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

The star rating system seems to boost people with an assumption that offers = quality which isn’t always true
I don’t know why what I’m saying is so controversial.

Nothing is absolute but in a “general” sense, the quality of teams recruiting players “often times”, but not always a good indication of a players skill level.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
Imakeitrain

BustaMcNutt

Post by BustaMcNutt » January 25th, 2023, 10:51 am

AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
January 25th, 2023, 10:16 am
I heard we were visiting one last recruit in the Miami area this week. Any idea of who that would be
I assume it’s this guy?

These users thanked the author BustaMcNutt for the post:
aggies22

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 25th, 2023, 11:45 am

BustaMcNutt wrote:
January 25th, 2023, 10:51 am
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
I assume it’s this guy?

That's him!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
FromLItoLogan

AGGIE5
Has thanked: 0

Post by AGGIE5 » January 25th, 2023, 12:01 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 25th, 2023, 11:45 am
BustaMcNutt wrote:
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
I assume it’s this guy?

That's him!
I hope he spurns his Edward Waters offer. Ha!

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 25th, 2023, 12:05 pm

AGGIE5 wrote:
January 25th, 2023, 12:01 pm
aggies22 wrote:
January 25th, 2023, 11:45 am
BustaMcNutt wrote:
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
I assume it’s this guy?

That's him!
I hope he spurns his Edward Waters offer. Ha!
And Missouri.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
aggieborn

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 25th, 2023, 12:07 pm

2004AG wrote:
January 25th, 2023, 10:44 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
2004AG wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

I don’t know why what I’m saying is so controversial.

Nothing is absolute but in a “general” sense, the quality of teams recruiting players “often times”, but not always a good indication of a players skill level.

Unless Oklahoma offers because they are worried if he ends up at Oklahoma State they will be chided for 'losing' him to Oklahoma State; all the while Oklahoma State was offering because they were already set at WR and had room for a project.

Similar to Byu-P offering our guys AFTER we offer; they don't want to be accused of missing out on anyone.

It's like a short squeeze in the stock market.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 25th, 2023, 12:34 pm

This isn’t that hard guys:

- it is true we should not offer someone our coaches don’t like just because they have offers from peer schools.
- it is true that having a lot of stars and a ton of offers does not ensure success. See e.g., Jake Heaps.
- it is true that having no stars does not ensure failure. See e.g., Stetson Bennett.
- it is true in the aggregate the most successful college football teams in the country are stocked full of highly rated recruits that other schools wanted.

The concern many are pointing to is the high aggregate number of guys we’ve taken in this class (mostly JC guys) that are lightly recruited diamonds in the rough type guys recruited largely by programs I wasn’t even aware existed like Pikesville and Black Hills State. It’s not concerning that we sign one guy that only had offers from Pikesville. It is concerning when we are trying to replace an entire defensive line with those sorts of big swings.

TL;DR, it’s totally cool to take a swing on these sorts of guys occasionally, but it becomes a bit alarming when you are taking 7-10 swings in a class on unheralded dudes and hoping for hits on all of them.

Maybe all these guys end up being hits and our coaches are the genius evaluators. But it would be somewhat out of the norm for us to be the only D1 school that didn’t miss on 7-10 guys.

I will also point out there’s a material difference between recruiting against NAIA programs like Pikesville and recruiting against solid FCS programs like Weber State, Montana, Sacramento St, etc. If there’s an 82 rated 3-star kid that had ours and only solid local FCS offers, that’s totally fine. NAIA is just way different.

I hope our coaches are the geniuses! We’ll find out!
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
2004AG

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » January 25th, 2023, 12:59 pm

It has been previously mentioned that a lot of current JC kids who would have gone D1 didn't because of covid and extra eligibility for existing players, diverting them to JC schools instead. With a lot of the D1 players exhausting their eligibility there are now more openings for those JC kids. That gives me some hope that there is more talent than usual at the JC level and the staff is onto something with hitting the JC ranks hard this recruiting cycle.

It has also been mentioned that because of the transfer portal JC players are largely overlooked now. Prior to the transfer portal, most programs looked at JC kids to plug immediate holes but now they just use the portal.

While offer lists are not necessarily a reliable indication of future production, seeing an offer list of peer schools does lead to a lot less consternation about a player. At least for this year, are there any other D1 programs using this same strategy of going in big with JC players? If so, what kind of offers did those players receive beyond where they committed to play?

Whatever the answers to those questions, BA and staff are wagering their future employment on each of these players to perform well enough that they don't get fired. That is a pretty strong motivation to do their best to get it right.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » January 25th, 2023, 4:20 pm

BustaMcNutt wrote:
AGGIEFIGHT wrote:

I assume it’s this guy?

Digging deep and probably have the answer to who this unnamed recruit is. Good get BUSTA!!!!!!!!

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » February 2nd, 2023, 6:40 pm

In case anybody was interested, Marquis Montgomery signed with Cal.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » February 2nd, 2023, 7:56 pm

Who? Where?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » February 3rd, 2023, 8:50 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
January 22nd, 2023, 12:50 pm
I reiterate what I said earlier. He runs a 4.8 in the forty and gets zero separation from the CB on his highlight reels. He makes the catch because he is 6'4 playing against a JC cornerback.

Appears you've been watching some game film Florida,,,, know about the game, and have been doing your homework. That means a lot when looking at committing thousands of dollars for an athletic scholarship. Well done my man.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 3rd, 2023, 8:56 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
February 3rd, 2023, 8:50 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
January 22nd, 2023, 12:50 pm

Appears you've been watching some game film Florida,,,, know about the game, and have been doing your homework. That means a lot when looking at committing thousands of dollars for an athletic scholarship. Well done my man.
Thanks, but I'm probably an advanced NOVICE at best. Highlight reels are supposed to be the best plays, yet, in watching his reels, he has absolutely zero separation from the CB and makes the catch because of his size. I don't that being a barometer of success at the next level on a consistent basis.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » February 3rd, 2023, 11:56 am

Aglicious wrote:
January 21st, 2023, 3:45 pm
I have a feeling this is a guy who let some walk-on offers go to his head so he could put those logos on a tweet to look good.

Cal would be my guess - the others are not places he will see the field and may not even be on scholarship. Something doesn't add up about his tape versus the offer list. He does have great size but if that's all it took to get P5 offers there would be a bunch of 6'-4"+ WRs at all those places.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 5):
Zaggie07USU78newtonianblueaggiebornFloridaAggie13

Locked Previous topicNext topic