An honest question

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

An honest question

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 19th, 2023, 9:50 am

I do agree with us letting Thompkins come back cause he was invited back with things looking more promising than when he left. And I do also agree with, for the most part, not letting other guys come back cause of wanting to sent a message that guys can't leave to test the waters of the portal and come back.

So here's a question. If Alex Devine leaves, and any of our umpteen defensive linemen who have left want back and flat out say they left cause of Devine and want back cause he is gone, do we let them come back, considering that similar to Thompkins? Or do you think having a different position coach is a small enough thing, and different from the Thompkins situation, that guys shouldn't be able to come back cause of that? Would it be too much of risk to send a message to other guys that they can leave if they even somewhat dislike their position coach and would be welcomed back IF and ONLY IF their position coach is replaced.

Considering some guys waited as long as they did, one even saying he was staying before changing his mind back to leaving after all, and another guy trying to get someone to take a chance on him fully recovering from an ACL, you do have to wonder if the guys like everything else about Logan and the program EXCEPT for Coach Devine, were willing to stick it out to see if he would leave, then decided to go after it looked more and more likely Devine would be here next year.

ineptimusprime

Re: An honest question

Post by ineptimusprime » January 19th, 2023, 10:05 am

Controversial take here. The transfer portal is a fact of life now. Our coaches' draconian policy of never allowing players back that enter the portal is a stupid one, and, frankly, a double standard. If one of them goes to interview with Oregon State or something, do you think they would take the position that they should be fired and not allowed back as a coach at USU? The transfer portal just allows the same level of free agency for players as coaches already enjoy. I have no qualms with an open-door transfer policy, and think players should be able to play where they want just like coaches can coach where they want. I just hate that NIL distorts the portal and turns it into a vehicle to buy players.

Players in other programs enter the portal and decide to come back all the time. It should be the same at USU. Of course, if someone enters the portal, wants to come back, and USU fills their scholarship with someone else or would rather fill the scholarship with someone else, then sure, tell them to hit the road. Entering the portal should mean you forfeit your right to a scholarship, but it should not mean the door is forever slammed to a player coming back. That should be case-by-case and context-specific.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 19th, 2023, 10:15 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 19th, 2023, 10:05 am
Controversial take here. The transfer portal is a fact of life now. Our coaches' policy of not allowing players back that enter the portal is a stupid one, and, frankly, a double standard. If one of them goes to interview with Oregon State or something, do you think they would take the position that they should be fired and not allowed back as a coach at USU? The transfer portal just allows the same level of free agency for players as coaches already enjoy. I have no qualms with an open-door transfer policy, and think players should be able to play where they want just like coaches can coach where they want. I just hate that NIL distorts the portal and turns it into a vehicle to buy players.

Players in other programs enter the portal and decide to come back all the time. It should be the same at USU.
Not an apples to apples comparison. The problem is that when you've entered the TP the school has to assume you are leaving and find a replacement. If a student athlete can be wishy washy with the TP, then they are basically holding the team hostage, and it sets a bad precedent because it allows the SA to basically make the threat of leaving for the purpose of holding leverage. If a SA knows that once they enter the portal there's no turning back, that will weigh heavy on their mind before making that decision. Thus, those who enter the TP do so knowing that it's the point of no return, not just a way to dip their toe in to the ocean to see if there's any fish out their waiting to bite. And it's one thing to enter the TP and quickly removing yourself after talking to the coaches, I think that is a forgivable sin. But to sit there and linger? NO

It's my understanding that assistant coaches don't have to ask for permission to interview with another school, they can do so with autonomy, and maybe the are simply interviewing to keep their interview skills sharpened, you never know.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
aggies22

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 19th, 2023, 10:19 am

ViAggie wrote:
January 19th, 2023, 10:15 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
Controversial take here. The transfer portal is a fact of life now. Our coaches' policy of not allowing players back that enter the portal is a stupid one, and, frankly, a double standard. If one of them goes to interview with Oregon State or something, do you think they would take the position that they should be fired and not allowed back as a coach at USU? The transfer portal just allows the same level of free agency for players as coaches already enjoy. I have no qualms with an open-door transfer policy, and think players should be able to play where they want just like coaches can coach where they want. I just hate that NIL distorts the portal and turns it into a vehicle to buy players.

Players in other programs enter the portal and decide to come back all the time. It should be the same at USU.
Not an apples to apples comparison. The problem is that when you've entered the TP the school has to assume you are leaving and find a replacement. If a student athlete can be wishy washy with the TP, then they are basically holding the team hostage, and it sets a bad precedent because it allows the SA to basically make the threat of leaving for the purpose of holding leverage. If a SA knows that once they enter the portal there's no turning back, that will weigh heavy on their mind before making that decision. Thus, those who enter the TP do so knowing that it's the point of no return, not just a way to dip their toe in to the ocean to see if there's any fish out their waiting to bite.

It's my understanding that assistant coaches don't have to ask for permission to interview with another school, they can do so with autonomy, and maybe the are simply interviewing to keep their interview skills sharpened, you never know.
I actually edited my post just now with clarification of my position with this very thing in mind. I agree it isn't a perfect apples-to-apples comparison, and players shouldn't be able to rely for certain on being able to come back. But it shouldn't be an automatic door slam in the face of a player to enter the portal and a certain point of no return. That's a level of vindictiveness and a standard no coach would hold himself to in the similar (but not exactly apples-to-apples) situation of interviewing for a perceived "better" job.

If a player enters the portal and the school recruits over the player, too bad, so sad to the player. If the player enters the portal, lingers, but ultimately determines its in his best interest to return to USU, and USU hasn't replaced said player and still has a spot, a return to USU should be an option if it ends up being the best option for all involved.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
JSHarvey

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 19th, 2023, 11:00 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 19th, 2023, 10:19 am
ViAggie wrote:
January 19th, 2023, 10:15 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

Not an apples to apples comparison. The problem is that when you've entered the TP the school has to assume you are leaving and find a replacement. If a student athlete can be wishy washy with the TP, then they are basically holding the team hostage, and it sets a bad precedent because it allows the SA to basically make the threat of leaving for the purpose of holding leverage. If a SA knows that once they enter the portal there's no turning back, that will weigh heavy on their mind before making that decision. Thus, those who enter the TP do so knowing that it's the point of no return, not just a way to dip their toe in to the ocean to see if there's any fish out their waiting to bite.

I actually edited my post just now with clarification of my position with this very thing in mind. I agree it isn't a perfect apples-to-apples comparison, and players shouldn't be able to rely for certain on being able to come back. But it shouldn't be an automatic door slam in the face of a player to enter the portal and a certain point of no return. That's a level of vindictiveness and a standard no coach would hold himself to in the similar (but not exactly apples-to-apples) situation of interviewing for a perceived "better" job.

If a player enters the portal and the school recruits over the player, too bad, so sad to the player. If the player enters the portal, lingers, but ultimately determines its in his best interest to return to USU, and USU hasn't replaced said player and still has a spot, a return to USU should be an option if it ends up being the best option for all involved.
I agree if a player enters the portal the coaching staff should assume they are going to be picked up by another school. The coaching staff should actively recruit to find the replacement for said player. If after some time the said player has not been picked up and asks the coaching staff to take them back I think the coaching staff should evaluate and bring back that player if they are going to make an impact on the team/field. Just having a 100% no return policy does not seem like the best route either. Every scenario is different I just think that the coaching staff should have more of a flexible policy rather than a concrete no in bringing players back.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
JSHarvey

cval

Post by cval » January 19th, 2023, 11:52 am

The problem is when another guy says “…well, you did it for him, why not me?”

I could actually see the potential for lawsuits coming out of that if the same rules don’t apply to everyone.
These users thanked the author cval for the post (total 2):
aggies22aggie276

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 19th, 2023, 12:35 pm

You guys realize that Coach Anderson is NOT the only coach that has that policy correct? The revered Kyle Whittingham has the same policy, as do multiple FBS and FCS coaches.

My issue is guys that think they can go test the portal waters and see if a P5 school bites or in the infamous words of Cam Lampkin, "bet on yourself". Utah State should not remain on the hook to hold the dude's scholarship. If you think you are too good for Utah State, check ya' later. If the issue is a position coach, he needs to be dealt with. It's that simple. No position coach is valuable enough to allow the coach to drive away players.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 8):
3rdGenAggieAngusAgsstrasserFloridaAggie13Aggie84025vegasaggieViAggiecval

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 19th, 2023, 1:04 pm

The difference between coaches interviewing and players going into the portal is night and day. If and when a team has a bad year, the entire coaching staff could be sacked. They have to keep a wide network of potential 'next jobs' open because they may have to pick up the family and move on the spot.

Just look at how revered Yost was as an OC just four years ago when he was a finalist for the Broyles award. Now he's OC at Florida International.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
aggies22ViAggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 19th, 2023, 6:18 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 19th, 2023, 12:35 pm
You guys realize that Coach Anderson is NOT the only coach that has that policy correct? The revered Kyle Whittingham has the same policy, as do multiple FBS and FCS coaches.

My issue is guys that think they can go test the portal waters and see if a P5 school bites or in the infamous words of Cam Lampkin, "bet on yourself". Utah State should not remain on the hook to hold the dude's scholarship. If you think you are too good for Utah State, check ya' later. If the issue is a position coach, he needs to be dealt with. It's that simple. No position coach is valuable enough to allow the coach to drive away players.
I can see how my unedited original post could have been read to suggest that -- but I would never advocate the bold. Players shouldn't be allowed to hold teams hostage. You certainly forfeit any obligation for the team to take you back if you enter the portal, but, if you, like Cam Lampkin, bet on yourself and end up being wrong and the best option for the player and USU is for said player to be welcomed back by USU, said player should be welcomed back with open arms.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
aggies22

Harcher

Post by Harcher » January 19th, 2023, 6:42 pm

Also, even with the agreement that a player could be back including the idea that it is understood that their right to a scholarship is gone, it would create a larger pool of TP test drivers and that would stir up the system with too many players testing the waters. I think it would make the current, bad situation (TP + NIL) worse.
These users thanked the author Harcher for the post:
aggies22

Fan4AggieballAZ

Post by Fan4AggieballAZ » January 20th, 2023, 12:48 pm

aggies22 wrote:

Some players do still have love and loyalty to the program the coaches the fans their brothers; despite potential to be lured with offers in and around the portal…the coaching staff may or not appreciate that commitment now but they do not show a ton of flexibility with the players or their staff (or even with schemes) it seems!
These users thanked the author Fan4AggieballAZ for the post:
aggies22

deltaaggie

Post by deltaaggie » January 20th, 2023, 1:43 pm

Fan4AggieballAZ wrote:
January 20th, 2023, 12:48 pm
aggies22 wrote:

Some players do still have love and loyalty to the program the coaches the fans their brothers; despite potential to be lured with offers in and around the portal…the coaching staff may or not appreciate that commitment now but they do not show a ton of flexibility with the players or their staff (or even with schemes) it seems!
So true. It really makes you appreciate the players that are all in and committed. As for the scheme, I bet we will see some changes with a different OC. Hopefully we will see better use of our incredibly talented TEs!
These users thanked the author deltaaggie for the post:
aggies22

Locked Previous topicNext topic