Joyner to the portal confirmed

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggiefan21
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Joyner to the portal confirmed

Post by Aggiefan21 » January 11th, 2023, 4:07 pm

Needs to get back home for personal reasons. Wish him well.
These users thanked the author Aggiefan21 for the post (total 4):
USU78aggies22Aggie19FloridaAggie13

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Joyner to the portal confirmed

Post by aggies22 » January 11th, 2023, 4:27 pm

Aggiefan21 wrote:
January 11th, 2023, 4:07 pm
Needs to get back home for personal reasons. Wish him well.
How quickly things change. I had it on very good authority that he had decided to stay.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » January 11th, 2023, 4:44 pm

Did he graduate or is he seeking a waiver?

BustaMcNutt

Post by BustaMcNutt » January 11th, 2023, 4:47 pm

Graduated
These users thanked the author BustaMcNutt for the post (total 2):
aggies22USU78

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 11th, 2023, 6:37 pm

Good for him for finishing coursework and getting a degree. Best of luck to him.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
aggies22

Eutaw St. Aggie

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 11th, 2023, 10:41 pm

We'll know what it was when we know where he goes. If it's Florida Atlantic, Florida International, UCF or USF, that would prove there are family things he needs to be closer to family for. It it's someone like Texas Tech or West Virginia, that would prove he anticipated getting a better offer, stayed in anticipation he wouldn't get one, then got one after that school struck out on other transfers.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

Stockypoo2212

Post by Stockypoo2212 » January 12th, 2023, 8:02 am

Looks like from his tweet it's not family related

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » January 12th, 2023, 8:10 am

“That will transform him into a better athlete.” Don’t you know Utah State can’t develop anyone!

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » January 12th, 2023, 8:19 am

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
January 12th, 2023, 8:10 am
“That will transform him into a better athlete.” Don’t you know Utah State can’t develop anyone!
I mean…it’s been fairly grim lately on the development front.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » January 12th, 2023, 8:39 am

Shaking Bryce Young's hand was a career highlight
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post:
SwaggieAggie

Not sent from Tapatalk

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 12th, 2023, 8:49 am

His tweet reads to me like a very passive aggressive shot at USU's coaching.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 4):
aggies22BustaMcNuttAggie19Imakeitrain

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 12th, 2023, 8:55 am

Honest query and no shot at Mr. Joyner -- how many P5 schools are out there looking for backup DEs from Mountain West schools?

Also, can we just go back to the 3-4 now? Not saying it can't be done, but I am a little concerned about the quality of dudes we're going to be able to replace our DE starters and depth with this late in the game (likely, at best, JuCo guys with offers from UTEP, NMSU, and the Mary Magdalene School of the Blind).

Just convert our remaining edge rushers to LBs and let's ride with a 3-4... so much easier to recruit to at the MW level.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
Bullnamed_gusRoy McAvoy2004AG

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 12th, 2023, 9:04 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 12th, 2023, 8:55 am
Honest query and no shot at Mr. Joyner -- how many P5 schools are out there looking for backup DEs from Mountain West schools?

Also, can we just go back to the 3-4 now? Not saying it can't be done, but I am a little concerned about the quality of dudes we're going to be able to replace our DE starters and depth with this late in the game (likely, at best, JuCo guys with offers from UTEP, NMSU, and the Mary Magdalene School of the Blind).

Just convert our remaining edge rushers to LBs and let's ride with a 3-4... so much easier to recruit to at the MW level.
Not only is it easier to recruit to, but I also think it's significantly easier to develop. It's pretty hard to find under recruited athletic 6'3" guys with a big frame that you can bulk up to 250 lbs+.

It's seems a lot easier to find athletic 6'1" dudes that you can bulk up to 225 lbs and turn them into an LB after they previously typically played Safety or RB in HS.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 12th, 2023, 9:19 am

Didn't Joyner send out a tweet about 2 weeks ago stating he was going to stay?

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » January 12th, 2023, 9:24 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 12th, 2023, 9:04 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
January 12th, 2023, 8:55 am

Not only is it easier to recruit to, but I also think it's significantly easier to develop. It's pretty hard to find under recruited athletic 6'3" guys with a big frame that you can bulk up to 250 lbs+.

It's seems a lot easier to find athletic 6'1" dudes that you can bulk up to 225 lbs and turn them into an LB after they previously typically played Safety or RB in HS.
Roy Knows ball. It’s also easier to find 6’2 300lb guys that can play DLine here in a 3-4. (As you can see the Juco guys were bringing in)

Aggiefan21
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Aggiefan21 » January 12th, 2023, 11:27 am

Stockypoo2212 wrote:
January 12th, 2023, 8:02 am
Looks like from his tweet it's not family related

From what he is telling teammates and coaches, the issues are not something he would want to advertise. Maybe that is why he chose to word it this way? Regardless it looks like a passive aggressive shot at us.
These users thanked the author Aggiefan21 for the post (total 2):
aggies22FloridaAggie13

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » January 12th, 2023, 5:00 pm

I wonder if Al had stayed on, what the post-season spirit & mentality of the D Line would have looked like.

The mass exodus doesn't bode well for Alex Devine...
These users thanked the author Naked Bull Rider for the post (total 3):
aggies22BustaMcNuttFloridaAggie13

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 12th, 2023, 7:31 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
January 12th, 2023, 5:00 pm
I wonder if Al had stayed on, what the post-season spirit & mentality of the D Line would have looked like.

Did Devine play ball? Serious question. I don't see it on his personal description in the USU coaching staff site.

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » January 12th, 2023, 10:40 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
January 12th, 2023, 7:31 pm
Naked Bull Rider wrote:

Did Devine play ball? Serious question. I don't see it on his personal description in the USU coaching staff site.

Doesn’t appear so. From what I can gather he got his start as a GA without a playing background. I have to think it’s difficult to teach technique without having played yourself and being familiar with all the nuances. Seems like you’d want guys who have their own sweat equity in the trenches coaching the lines.

Then again, I’m pretty sure Micah James has a player background and I don’t think the O Line has been much to write home about. :noidea:
These users thanked the author Naked Bull Rider for the post:
BustaMcNutt

usugoalie13

Post by usugoalie13 » January 13th, 2023, 12:00 am

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
January 12th, 2023, 10:40 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
January 12th, 2023, 7:31 pm
Naked Bull Rider wrote:

Doesn’t appear so. From what I can gather he got his start as a GA without a playing background. I have to think it’s difficult to teach technique without having played yourself and being familiar with all the nuances. Seems like you’d want guys who have their own sweat equity in the trenches coaching the lines.

Then again, I’m pretty sure Micah James has a player background and I don’t think the O Line has been much to write home about. :noidea:
Wayne gretzky coached and wasn't good at all. Ken Hitchcock never played and was one of the best coaches... not saying that goes for everyone, but playing doesn't necessarily mean they will be a great coach.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 13th, 2023, 7:16 am

The Dline performed well last year especially once Hale came back. Maybe it was primarily due to Banda & prior work of Lapuaho.. It was actually annoying to me how often the announcers on one channel would say “TFL”

I think the easiest explanation is these guys thinking that they’ll be able to repeat their success here. I think DG at Cincinnati is a good fit for him.

We will see if I have the same opinion of Joyner and Vaughns when they make their choice.

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » January 13th, 2023, 7:27 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
January 13th, 2023, 7:16 am
The Dline performed well last year especially once Hale came back. Maybe it was primarily due to Banda & prior work of Lapuaho.. It was actually annoying to me how often the announcers on one channel would say “TFL”

I think the easiest explanation is these guys thinking that they’ll be able to repeat their success here. I think DG at Cincinnati is a good fit for him.

We will see if I have the same opinion of Joyner and Vaughns when they make their choice.
The DLine had moments last year where they looked like World Beaters, and had times that looked like this was their first year playing football(Weber game). In my opinion, this is Largely due to having a line full of dudes just trying to get their own stats instead of playing as a cohesive unit with great gap discipline.

Seems like the guys that were chasing their own have now transferred and to be honest, I think our DLine is better next year. we might not have the day 2 draft pick on the edge any more but we now will have 3/4 guys(whatever scheme we end up playing) that will play team ball and shut people down. Banda is a wizard.
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post:
Imakeitrain

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » January 13th, 2023, 8:05 am

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
January 13th, 2023, 7:27 am
Imakeitrain wrote:

The DLine had moments last year where they looked like World Beaters, and had times that looked like this was their first year playing football(Weber game). In my opinion, this is Largely due to having a line full of dudes just trying to get their own stats instead of playing as a cohesive unit with great gap discipline.

Seems like the guys that were chasing their own have now transferred and to be honest, I think our DLine is better next year. we might not have the day 2 draft pick on the edge any more but we now will have 3/4 guys(whatever scheme we end up playing) that will play team ball and shut people down. Banda is a wizard.
I agree, I think there is potential for this to be an addition by subtraction thing. Hoping the issues were with these players and not a coaching problem.

A bit off topic, but as you mention it, what do folks think Vaughns, DG and Joyner's draft potential really is? Day 2 would be rounds 2 and 3. Drafting there would put them in the same company as Nick Vigil, Kyler Fackrell and Bobby Wagner. I think they're all talented, but I struggle seeing them on that same level as those 3 and other Aggies drafted that high. I see day 3 for Vaughns and UDFA for DG and Joyner
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
Imakeitrain

Go Aggies!

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 13th, 2023, 8:26 am

Aggie19 wrote:
January 13th, 2023, 8:05 am
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

I agree, I think there is potential for this to be an addition by subtraction thing. Hoping the issues were with these players and not a coaching problem.

A bit off topic, but as you mention it, what do folks think Vaughns, DG and Joyner's draft potential really is? Day 2 would be rounds 2 and 3. Drafting there would put them in the same company as Nick Vigil, Kyler Fackrell and Bobby Wagner. I think they're all talented, but I struggle seeing them on that same level as those 3 and other Aggies drafted that high. I see day 3 for Vaughns and UDFA for DG and Joyner
I think they all are UDFA territory and maybe one or two of them makes a practice squad. Frankly, I think if they thought they were nfl ready they’d have entered the draft not the transfer portal. Vaughns has potential but if he does what he did on that Hunter Reynolds fumble recovery against UNM in the NFL he’d be out on his a$$ looking to work at Best Buy.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
Aggie19

Bullnamed_gus

Post by Bullnamed_gus » January 13th, 2023, 8:58 am

Aggie19 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

Vaughns mix of Size, Speed, and motor will put him in the Day 2 conversation. Depends where Joyner and plays at his next stop. If he is an edge type guy again I don’t know where he is, I don’t know what his 40 is,, Grzesiak is the best Current player right now but he’s 6’1 and 230. He’s like a 6th/7th round guy at the most. Online it says around 4.8, not sure how accurate that is but that’s Nick Heninger territory type measurable, leading to most likely UDFA.

Vaughns being 6’4, 225, really long wingspan, running a 4.4 with that motor he shows on tape will get him drafted day 2.
These users thanked the author Bullnamed_gus for the post:
Aggie19

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » January 13th, 2023, 9:12 am

Bullnamed_gus wrote:
January 13th, 2023, 8:58 am
Aggie19 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

Vaughns mix of Size, Speed, and motor will put him in the Day 2 conversation. Depends where Joyner and plays at his next stop. If he is an edge type guy again I don’t know where he is, I don’t know what his 40 is,, Grzesiak is the best Current player right now but he’s 6’1 and 230. He’s like a 6th/7th round guy at the most. Online it says around 4.8, not sure how accurate that is but that’s Nick Heninger territory type measurable, leading to most likely UDFA.

Vaughns being 6’4, 225, really long wingspan, running a 4.4 with that motor he shows on tape will get him drafted day 2.
I see Vaughns as kind of like Tipa Galeai (6'5", 229#, 4.8 - 40yd). Perhaps faster a bit and maybe that pulls him into those late rounds, don't know. I think his lack of bulk may hurt him.

Go Aggies!

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » January 13th, 2023, 9:47 am

Aggie19 wrote:
January 13th, 2023, 9:12 am
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
January 13th, 2023, 8:58 am
Aggie19 wrote:
Bullnamed_gus wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

I see Vaughns as kind of like Tipa Galeai (6'5", 229#, 4.8 - 40yd). Perhaps faster a bit and maybe that pulls him into those late rounds, don't know. I think his lack of bulk may hurt him.
Off subject, but Tipa Tipa Tipa. I've always wondered where that guy would have been drafted had GA 2.0 not neutered him in his senior season.
These users thanked the author Slim80 for the post (total 2):
aggies22Aggie19

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 13th, 2023, 10:56 am

Tipa seems to be much more hard nosed than any of the 3. Dude never seemed to rest. He put in the work and he seemed like he’d run through walls to ensure his job in the field was accomplished.

I believe that’s one of the things that has helped him to stay around as long as he was. I believe he will get another shot somewhere.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 2):
USU78aggies22

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » January 13th, 2023, 1:01 pm

Vaughns has a chance to be a late round pick.

The other two will be going pro in something other than sports

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » January 14th, 2023, 7:42 pm

Aggiefan21 wrote:Needs to get back home for personal reasons. Wish him well.
Uh huh

Twitter: UtahStizzle

Stockypoo2212

Post by Stockypoo2212 » January 15th, 2023, 10:06 am

Kansas isn't very close to home....
These users thanked the author Stockypoo2212 for the post:
aggies22

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 15th, 2023, 10:24 am

Stockypoo2212 wrote:
January 15th, 2023, 10:06 am
Kansas isn't very close to home....
I guess the answer to which P5 school is offering MW backup DEs is my other alma mater. :joking:

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » January 15th, 2023, 10:38 am

trevordude wrote:
January 12th, 2023, 8:39 am
Shaking Bryce Young's hand was a career highlight
I was thinking the exact same thing hahaha. Posted a pic of him standing next to a dude who had 6 TD’s on them and got to leave the field to rest with 12 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.
These users thanked the author SwaggieAggie for the post:
trevordude

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 15th, 2023, 2:02 pm

Best of luck to him and Ineptimus.

Locked Previous topicNext topic