Aggie- Memphis History

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
BobWilson

Aggie- Memphis History

Post by BobWilson » December 4th, 2022, 3:40 pm

1965 was one of Tony Knap's best teams, beating Hawaii, Arizona State, SJSU, Montana, CSU, and BYU before heaing to Memphis, undefeated,to play Sports Illistrated's "game of the week" Favored by 7 points the Aggies lost 0-7. As the team was leaving the stadium with heads down, the Memphis State coach stopped the Aggies and said, If you guys can't hold your heads up, neither can we." Rather profound, I think. The next week USU was edged at Wichata State 21-19 but rallied to beat Utah 14-7 in the final game to finnish 8-2.

In the return game in 1967 USU beat Memphis state in salt Lake City 28-14, new coach Chuck Mills sail, "We can play tough football too." In reference to a Memphis Sports writer who wrote that "southern boys are tougher football players. the game was in SLC because old Romney stadium was not acceptable to Memphis..

The series stands at 3-4 Memphis. Time to even things out.. We can still play tough footfall!
These users thanked the author BobWilson for the post (total 13):
GUSAGinNEIowaaggies22YossarianUSU78BearLakeMonsterCodingAggieBluebwcrcvegasaggie918AGG and 3 more users

NavyBlueAggie

Re: Aggie- Memphis History

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 6th, 2022, 4:38 pm

I attended the Memphis vs USU at Ute Stadium in 1967 (currently Rice-Eccles) before the name change. The game was poorly attended and would have enjoyed much better support in Logan, but the game contract required a larger stadium than Romney Stadium in Logan.

The physical contact was absolutely ferocious, and so audible from my seat near the 50 yard line just a few rows up from the sidelines. I was familiar with Frosh Football game day contact noise levels at USU, but this varsity level noise was much more intense.

Whale of a game regarding contact, and just a super game to watch and appreciate that level of college football at that time and place. So glad I was able to attend that game, even with the unusual SLC location.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post (total 5):
aggies22USU78FloridaAggie13PIGSKINAGGIEReckoner

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 6th, 2022, 4:54 pm

Fascinating, yea I was just looking at our history and noticed that it had been a long while since we last played them. Funny that they were able to "big time" us back then to play in SLC vs Logan, what did they expect? Like you said, game would have been better attended in Logan even with a smaller capacity.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 6th, 2022, 5:02 pm

Exactly ViAggie. Memphis State wanted a larger capacity stadium to play in, and ultimately the crowd, if we could call it a crowd, was very small, casually attended. It's been too long for me, a USU student at that time, to recall virtually anything about game day attendance, except that I moved freely around the stadium and no one challenged me. Lots of open car parking that day as well.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 7th, 2022, 10:37 am

Their fans aren't too worried about beating us, lets hope we knock them out

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 7th, 2022, 10:52 am

ViAggie wrote:
December 7th, 2022, 10:37 am
Their fans aren't too worried about beating us, lets hope we knock them out
Unlike byu I hope we dont sucker punch them in the back of the head when they’re restrained

But I hope we do kick they azzez.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 2):
ViAggieLarryTheAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic