John Gentry

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 16138
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 16238 times
Been thanked: 10084 times
Contact:

John Gentry

Post by aggies22 » November 29th, 2022, 2:30 pm

Makes it official.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
FloridaAggie13



User avatar
Aggiefan33
Posts: 2148
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 294 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by Aggiefan33 » November 29th, 2022, 2:36 pm

meaning Transfer Portal?
These users thanked the author Aggiefan33 for the post:
aggies22


The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

AggieGrad2021
Posts: 151
Joined: November 2nd, 2022, 3:01 pm
Has thanked: 63 times
Been thanked: 71 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by AggieGrad2021 » November 29th, 2022, 2:39 pm

Aggiefan33 wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 2:36 pm
meaning Transfer Portal?
Yeah he’s gone. Do we know why he never got any time?

He showed a lot of promise imo in 2020



Donman
Posts: 2898
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 9:49 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 156 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by Donman » November 29th, 2022, 2:46 pm

AggieGrad2021 wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 2:39 pm
Aggiefan33 wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 2:36 pm
meaning Transfer Portal?
Yeah he’s gone. Do we know why he never got any time?

He showed a lot of promise imo in 2020
He never made a huge impact last year and our overall running back play has been very good. Unfortunately, he found himself down on the depth chart and that means we upgraded our position through the transfer portal and recruiting.



gomretat
Posts: 934
Joined: November 27th, 2013, 10:16 am
Has thanked: 246 times
Been thanked: 180 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by gomretat » November 29th, 2022, 3:02 pm

aggies22 wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 2:30 pm
Makes it official.
Given your other comment about Dec 5th I am a bit worried about who else jumps in the portal. We can afford to have talent walk out the door.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post:
aggies22



FloridaAggie13
Posts: 19750
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 4877 times
Been thanked: 1741 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 29th, 2022, 3:41 pm

Donman wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 2:46 pm
AggieGrad2021 wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 2:39 pm
Aggiefan33 wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 2:36 pm
meaning Transfer Portal?
Yeah he’s gone. Do we know why he never got any time?

He showed a lot of promise imo in 2020
He never made a huge impact last year and our overall running back play has been very good. Unfortunately, he found himself down on the depth chart and that means we upgraded our position through the transfer portal and recruiting.
I agree Gentry wasn't better than Tyler, but no way was Makakona better than Gentry.

My opinion is there is a bit of rift among the players and the staff. Just my opinion.



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 7415
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 1539 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 29th, 2022, 3:47 pm

gomretat wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 3:02 pm
aggies22 wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 2:30 pm
Makes it official.
Given your other comment about Dec 5th I am a bit worried about who else jumps in the portal. We can afford to have talent walk out the door.
One possible December 5 explanation is that Levi is going, his girlfriend is following but doesn't want to announce it until after their season is over and distract the team, and the announcement would until later if the VB team pulls off two upsets to advance to the Sweet 16.

I agree December 5 would be an odd day and that the day to announce and it makes more sense to do it now if they don't want to stick around for the bowl game, or after the bowl game like when Wyoming had a lot of guys leave last year. The players already know it will be a bottom tier bowl, so you do have to wonder if any are intending to stick around if it's anywhere but Boise and announce they are leaving on December 5 if it's Boise, but stick around if it's Tucson, First Responder or Frisco, then leave after that.



Elkaggie
Posts: 4976
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 706 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by Elkaggie » November 29th, 2022, 3:48 pm

How would we know that Gentry wasn’t better?? I don’t think he was ever given a fair shot. I can’t blame him for leaving.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22Kevincurtisforlife



User avatar
ratofallaggies
Posts: 3664
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:29 pm
Location: Farmington
Has thanked: 217 times
Been thanked: 534 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by ratofallaggies » November 29th, 2022, 4:09 pm

There will be transfers coming in that USU will benefit from as well. Keep an eye on some of these Miami transfers... Banda did recruit some of them. There's one announced today that wouldn't surprise me if we have been in contact with him.
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post:
aggies22



slcagg
Posts: 12359
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 3542 times
Been thanked: 2985 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by slcagg » November 29th, 2022, 4:25 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 4:09 pm
There will be transfers coming in that USU will benefit from as well. Keep an eye on some of these Miami transfers... Banda did recruit some of them. There's one announced today that wouldn't surprise me if we have been in contact with him.
I’ve been keeping an eye on Miami as well.

Here is an article updated today with the transfers out.



Intermeddler
Posts: 2764
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 620 times
Been thanked: 672 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by Intermeddler » November 29th, 2022, 4:27 pm

slcagg wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 4:25 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 4:09 pm
There will be transfers coming in that USU will benefit from as well. Keep an eye on some of these Miami transfers... Banda did recruit some of them. There's one announced today that wouldn't surprise me if we have been in contact with him.
I’ve been keeping an eye on Miami as well.

Here is an article updated today with the transfers out.
I would be very hesitant on Avante Williams. Dude has baggage and all of the things I was concerned about regarding Gurvan Halls play apply to Avante.

If we’re looking for Miami guys (and I expect Cristobal to clean out that roster so they’ll have 20-25 guys in the portal) I’d look at Gil Frierson and Allan Haye
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 2):
aggies22slcagg



User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 21017
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 3533 times
Been thanked: 1640 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by ViAggie » November 29th, 2022, 4:42 pm

Levi going back to Wyoming? Do we get AP back? ;-)


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Donman
Posts: 2898
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 9:49 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 156 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by Donman » November 29th, 2022, 4:55 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 3:48 pm
How would we know that Gentry wasn’t better?? I don’t think he was ever given a fair shot. I can’t blame him for leaving.
Last year Gentry carried the ball 66 times for an average of 3.6 y/c. Tyler averaged 4.5 and Noa 4.4.

Who were you going to take carries away from this year?

Tyler?
Briggs (who should have had more carries)

I never saw anything last year to suggest he was any better than those two.
These users thanked the author Donman for the post (total 2):
USUaggieBustaMcNutt



FloridaAggie13
Posts: 19750
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 4877 times
Been thanked: 1741 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 29th, 2022, 5:12 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 4:09 pm
There will be transfers coming in that USU will benefit from as well. Keep an eye on some of these Miami transfers... Banda did recruit some of them. There's one announced today that wouldn't surprise me if we have been in contact with him.
U of M has been a trainwreck in recent years. They are losing the recruiting battle in Florida to FSU, UF, and now UCF. I don't think being originally recruited by U of M is a status symbol or validation of being bona fide.



User avatar
Hoot
Posts: 1458
Joined: August 16th, 2021, 4:59 pm
Has thanked: 457 times
Been thanked: 667 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by Hoot » November 29th, 2022, 5:13 pm

ViAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 4:42 pm
Levi going back to Wyoming? Do we get AP back? ;-)
Legas to Wyoming. Bonner back for year 8.
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post (total 5):
ViAggieKevincurtisforlifeAggiePTAggieFBObsessionAggiesForever


“Don’t go into the long grass!”

User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 10885
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 485 times
Been thanked: 1089 times

John Gentry

Post by 2004AG » November 29th, 2022, 5:13 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 4:09 pm
There will be transfers coming in that USU will benefit from as well. Keep an eye on some of these Miami transfers... Banda did recruit some of them. There's one announced today that wouldn't surprise me if we have been in contact with him.
U of M has been a trainwreck in recent years. They are losing the recruiting battle in Florida to FSU, UF, and now UCF. I don't think being originally recruited by U of M is a status symbol or validation of being bona fide.
Their current recruiting class i higher than all those other schools.

They have both the #2 and #6 OVERALL players in the entire country.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 3):
ratofallaggiesIntermeddleraggies22



Intermeddler
Posts: 2764
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 620 times
Been thanked: 672 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by Intermeddler » November 29th, 2022, 5:18 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 5:12 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 4:09 pm
There will be transfers coming in that USU will benefit from as well. Keep an eye on some of these Miami transfers... Banda did recruit some of them. There's one announced today that wouldn't surprise me if we have been in contact with him.
U of M has been a trainwreck in recent years. They are losing the recruiting battle in Florida to FSU, UF, and now UCF. I don't think being originally recruited by U of M is a status symbol or validation of being bona fide.
Not at all true for the 2023 class. Prior classes are mixed. Inferior to UF, probably better than FSU but perhaps even since Norvell took over. Much better than UCF.



Intermeddler
Posts: 2764
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 620 times
Been thanked: 672 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by Intermeddler » November 29th, 2022, 5:20 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 5:13 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 4:09 pm
There will be transfers coming in that USU will benefit from as well. Keep an eye on some of these Miami transfers... Banda did recruit some of them. There's one announced today that wouldn't surprise me if we have been in contact with him.
U of M has been a trainwreck in recent years. They are losing the recruiting battle in Florida to FSU, UF, and now UCF. I don't think being originally recruited by U of M is a status symbol or validation of being bona fide.
Their current recruiting class i higher than all those other schools.

They have both the #2 and #6 OVERALL players in the entire country.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. They have two of the 6 consensus 5 stars and are probably going to add a bunch of guys in the next two weeks. They have the deepest NIL war chest in the country and a staff of proven recruiters. On the field, they were awful this year, but they will finish with a top 5 class on most services. FSU is definitely lagging. UF is close for now.

EDIT: They just flipped Collins Acheampong from Michigan.

The delta between their recruiting on field performance may set an all time record in this class. A lot of the Manny guys on defense will get cleared out to make room.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
aggies22



Intermeddler
Posts: 2764
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 620 times
Been thanked: 672 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by Intermeddler » November 29th, 2022, 5:26 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 5:12 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 4:09 pm
There will be transfers coming in that USU will benefit from as well. Keep an eye on some of these Miami transfers... Banda did recruit some of them. There's one announced today that wouldn't surprise me if we have been in contact with him.
U of M has been a trainwreck in recent years. They are losing the recruiting battle in Florida to FSU, UF, and now UCF. I don't think being originally recruited by U of M is a status symbol or validation of being bona fide.
Of potential Miami guys that have a connection to Banda that will be in the Portal, I would look at FWIW

Striker: Keontra Smith or Gil Frierson. Frierson sort of got squeezed out when they switched schemes. Smith is a tweener. Too small for the ACC at LB, not fast enough for Striker. Could be really good in the MW.

Safety: They will have Jalen Harrell, Keyshawn Washington, and Avante Williams. I would steer clear of Avante. Harrell and Washington are guys that definitely fall in your category of not being bona fide simply because they were at Miami. I can't recall these guys seeing the field. Total mysteries.

DL: Elijah Roberts and Allan Haye. Not bad players, just stuck behind better guys. UM was 8th in sacks this year and near that in TFL, their DL was a bright spot. These guys could be rotation guys here.

LB: Avery Huff and Sam Brooks. Brooks has lingering injury issues and should be a pass. Huff is very athletic but never figured it out. Not sure what his story is. But another highly rated guy on paper that just didn't work there for whatever reason. Would probably pass on Huff.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13aggies22



FloridaAggie13
Posts: 19750
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 4877 times
Been thanked: 1741 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 29th, 2022, 6:54 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 5:13 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 4:09 pm
There will be transfers coming in that USU will benefit from as well. Keep an eye on some of these Miami transfers... Banda did recruit some of them. There's one announced today that wouldn't surprise me if we have been in contact with him.
U of M has been a trainwreck in recent years. They are losing the recruiting battle in Florida to FSU, UF, and now UCF. I don't think being originally recruited by U of M is a status symbol or validation of being bona fide.
Their current recruiting class i higher than all those other schools.

They have both the #2 and #6 OVERALL players in the entire country.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My point being that we shouldn't rush to flip their current players just because they bear the 'U of M' stamp.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
Intermeddler



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 10885
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 485 times
Been thanked: 1089 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by 2004AG » November 29th, 2022, 7:37 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 5:13 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 4:09 pm
There will be transfers coming in that USU will benefit from as well. Keep an eye on some of these Miami transfers... Banda did recruit some of them. There's one announced today that wouldn't surprise me if we have been in contact with him.
U of M has been a trainwreck in recent years. They are losing the recruiting battle in Florida to FSU, UF, and now UCF. I don't think being originally recruited by U of M is a status symbol or validation of being bona fide.
Their current recruiting class i higher than all those other schools.

They have both the #2 and #6 OVERALL players in the entire country.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My point being that we shouldn't rush to flip their current players just because they bear the 'U of M' stamp.
You can’t really make that point by criticizing their recruiting classes though.

I’d rather sign those Miami guys than guys who have zero offers out of high school.

And with the way they recruit, I’d take any that wanted to come and ask questions later.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



IdAggie
Posts: 198
Joined: December 9th, 2011, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 147 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by IdAggie » November 29th, 2022, 11:33 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 3:47 pm
gomretat wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 3:02 pm
aggies22 wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 2:30 pm
Makes it official.
Given your other comment about Dec 5th I am a bit worried about who else jumps in the portal. We can afford to have talent walk out the door.
One possible December 5 explanation is that Levi is going, his girlfriend is following but doesn't want to announce it until after their season is over and distract the team, and the announcement would until later if the VB team pulls off two upsets to advance to the Sweet 16.

I agree December 5 would be an odd day and that the day to announce and it makes more sense to do it now if they don't want to stick around for the bowl game, or after the bowl game like when Wyoming had a lot of guys leave last year. The players already know it will be a bottom tier bowl, so you do have to wonder if any are intending to stick around if it's anywhere but Boise and announce they are leaving on December 5 if it's Boise, but stick around if it's Tucson, First Responder or Frisco, then leave after that.
Don't read too much into the December 5th date. That is simply the date this year that the portal "officially opens" per new NCAA transfer processes and rules. It will be crazy again this year across the board in college football. The current processes and rules allow practically everyone to be a free agent every year.
These users thanked the author IdAggie for the post:
aggies22



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 16138
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 16238 times
Been thanked: 10084 times
Contact:

Re: John Gentry

Post by aggies22 » November 30th, 2022, 6:19 am

IdAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 11:33 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 3:47 pm
gomretat wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 3:02 pm
aggies22 wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 2:30 pm
Makes it official.
Given your other comment about Dec 5th I am a bit worried about who else jumps in the portal. We can afford to have talent walk out the door.
One possible December 5 explanation is that Levi is going, his girlfriend is following but doesn't want to announce it until after their season is over and distract the team, and the announcement would until later if the VB team pulls off two upsets to advance to the Sweet 16.

I agree December 5 would be an odd day and that the day to announce and it makes more sense to do it now if they don't want to stick around for the bowl game, or after the bowl game like when Wyoming had a lot of guys leave last year. The players already know it will be a bottom tier bowl, so you do have to wonder if any are intending to stick around if it's anywhere but Boise and announce they are leaving on December 5 if it's Boise, but stick around if it's Tucson, First Responder or Frisco, then leave after that.
Don't read too much into the December 5th date. That is simply the date this year that the portal "officially opens" per new NCAA transfer processes and rules. It will be crazy again this year across the board in college football. The current processes and rules allow practically everyone to be a free agent every year.
While there is a 45 day window from the 5th to January 18th, I do think there will be a large initial rush to the portal in order to try and secure a spot at a new school prior to the early signing period.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
ratofallaggies



User avatar
ratofallaggies
Posts: 3664
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:29 pm
Location: Farmington
Has thanked: 217 times
Been thanked: 534 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by ratofallaggies » November 30th, 2022, 8:00 am

aggies22 wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 6:19 am
IdAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 11:33 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 3:47 pm
gomretat wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 3:02 pm
aggies22 wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 2:30 pm
Makes it official.
Given your other comment about Dec 5th I am a bit worried about who else jumps in the portal. We can afford to have talent walk out the door.
One possible December 5 explanation is that Levi is going, his girlfriend is following but doesn't want to announce it until after their season is over and distract the team, and the announcement would until later if the VB team pulls off two upsets to advance to the Sweet 16.

I agree December 5 would be an odd day and that the day to announce and it makes more sense to do it now if they don't want to stick around for the bowl game, or after the bowl game like when Wyoming had a lot of guys leave last year. The players already know it will be a bottom tier bowl, so you do have to wonder if any are intending to stick around if it's anywhere but Boise and announce they are leaving on December 5 if it's Boise, but stick around if it's Tucson, First Responder or Frisco, then leave after that.
Don't read too much into the December 5th date. That is simply the date this year that the portal "officially opens" per new NCAA transfer processes and rules. It will be crazy again this year across the board in college football. The current processes and rules allow practically everyone to be a free agent every year.
While there is a 45 day window from the 5th to January 18th, I do think there will be a large initial rush to the portal in order to try and secure a spot at a new school prior to the early signing period.
It’s going to get wild. There will be many scenarios where a school lands a need from the transfer portal and will end up pulling an offer…. Expect a lot of decommitting
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post:
aggies22



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 7415
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 1539 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 30th, 2022, 8:01 am

IdAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 11:33 pm

Don't read too much into the December 5th date. That is simply the date this year that the portal "officially opens" per new NCAA transfer processes and rules. It will be crazy again this year across the board in college football. The current processes and rules allow practically everyone to be a free agent every year.
Boise State had a quarterback enter the portal during the season instead of waiting for December 5th.



User avatar
ratofallaggies
Posts: 3664
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:29 pm
Location: Farmington
Has thanked: 217 times
Been thanked: 534 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by ratofallaggies » November 30th, 2022, 8:03 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 8:01 am
IdAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 11:33 pm

Don't read too much into the December 5th date. That is simply the date this year that the portal "officially opens" per new NCAA transfer processes and rules. It will be crazy again this year across the board in college football. The current processes and rules allow practically everyone to be a free agent every year.
Boise State had a quarterback enter the portal during the season instead of waiting for December 5th.
You can “declare” being in the portal at any time, but you’re not officially available until Dec 5



AggieGrad2021
Posts: 151
Joined: November 2nd, 2022, 3:01 pm
Has thanked: 63 times
Been thanked: 71 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by AggieGrad2021 » November 30th, 2022, 8:54 am

IdAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 11:33 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 3:47 pm
gomretat wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 3:02 pm
aggies22 wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 2:30 pm
Makes it official.
Given your other comment about Dec 5th I am a bit worried about who else jumps in the portal. We can afford to have talent walk out the door.
One possible December 5 explanation is that Levi is going, his girlfriend is following but doesn't want to announce it until after their season is over and distract the team, and the announcement would until later if the VB team pulls off two upsets to advance to the Sweet 16.

I agree December 5 would be an odd day and that the day to announce and it makes more sense to do it now if they don't want to stick around for the bowl game, or after the bowl game like when Wyoming had a lot of guys leave last year. The players already know it will be a bottom tier bowl, so you do have to wonder if any are intending to stick around if it's anywhere but Boise and announce they are leaving on December 5 if it's Boise, but stick around if it's Tucson, First Responder or Frisco, then leave after that.
Don't read too much into the December 5th date. That is simply the date this year that the portal "officially opens" per new NCAA transfer processes and rules. It will be crazy again this year across the board in college football. The current processes and rules allow practically everyone to be a free agent every year.
Guys only have one free transfer, and then a grad transfer. So technically they only can swap twice. The Covid year is why it feels like so many people can leave, because guys are able to graduate while they still have eligibility left. Once the Covid years are wiped out the portal will calm down a bit imo.
These users thanked the author AggieGrad2021 for the post:
aggies22



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 16138
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 16238 times
Been thanked: 10084 times
Contact:

Re: John Gentry

Post by aggies22 » November 30th, 2022, 9:20 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 8:01 am
IdAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 11:33 pm

Don't read too much into the December 5th date. That is simply the date this year that the portal "officially opens" per new NCAA transfer processes and rules. It will be crazy again this year across the board in college football. The current processes and rules allow practically everyone to be a free agent every year.
Boise State had a quarterback enter the portal during the season instead of waiting for December 5th.
Bachmeier could because he was a graduate transfer.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 16138
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 16238 times
Been thanked: 10084 times
Contact:

Re: John Gentry

Post by aggies22 » November 30th, 2022, 9:21 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 8:03 am
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 8:01 am
IdAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 11:33 pm

Don't read too much into the December 5th date. That is simply the date this year that the portal "officially opens" per new NCAA transfer processes and rules. It will be crazy again this year across the board in college football. The current processes and rules allow practically everyone to be a free agent every year.
Boise State had a quarterback enter the portal during the season instead of waiting for December 5th.
You can “declare” being in the portal at any time, but you’re not officially available until Dec 5
There are two exceptions to that rule. If you have already graduated or your coach chooses to leave or is fired, you are free to leave at any time.



NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 2905
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has thanked: 363 times
Been thanked: 654 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by NavyBlueAggie » November 30th, 2022, 10:12 am

Elkaggie wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 3:48 pm
How would we know that Gentry wasn’t better?? I don’t think he was ever given a fair shot. I can’t blame him for leaving.

We as fans may not know, but the staff has the advantage of watching players in practice, at meetings, in their conditioning exercises and ultimately in games. The staff is much closer to these players and how they interact with their team mates than we as fans and boosters could ever hope to be.

My take away is that Gentry was highly rated, had some real speed and acceleration, but never did achieve what he was expected to do while wearing our AGGIE uniform. I salute him for staying with the team as long as he did, and the lack of playing time must have been tough for him. Trust he doesn't end up like NOA did, and I wish him well.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
aggies22



Aggie84025
Posts: 6937
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 1257 times
Been thanked: 2795 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by Aggie84025 » November 30th, 2022, 10:18 am

Tyler and Briggs were pretty dang good this year. Gentry seemed like he had potential last year but am not positive he was going to give you more than what Briggs and Tyler gave this year.



FloridaAggie13
Posts: 19750
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 4877 times
Been thanked: 1741 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 30th, 2022, 11:10 am

2004AG wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 7:37 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 5:13 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 4:09 pm
There will be transfers coming in that USU will benefit from as well. Keep an eye on some of these Miami transfers... Banda did recruit some of them. There's one announced today that wouldn't surprise me if we have been in contact with him.
U of M has been a trainwreck in recent years. They are losing the recruiting battle in Florida to FSU, UF, and now UCF. I don't think being originally recruited by U of M is a status symbol or validation of being bona fide.
Their current recruiting class i higher than all those other schools.

They have both the #2 and #6 OVERALL players in the entire country.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My point being that we shouldn't rush to flip their current players just because they bear the 'U of M' stamp.
You can’t really make that point by criticizing their recruiting classes though.

I’d rather sign those Miami guys than guys who have zero offers out of high school.

And with the way they recruit, I’d take any that wanted to come and ask questions later.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not criticizing their recruiting classes. I'm pointing out that for the most part, they have been a bad football team over the past decade and we shouldn't rush out to grab those players just because they are 'U of M' recruits.

Now, if we can poach one of Cristobal's recruits down the road, that's a different story.



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 10885
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 485 times
Been thanked: 1089 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by 2004AG » November 30th, 2022, 11:40 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 7:37 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 5:13 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 4:09 pm
There will be transfers coming in that USU will benefit from as well. Keep an eye on some of these Miami transfers... Banda did recruit some of them. There's one announced today that wouldn't surprise me if we have been in contact with him.
U of M has been a trainwreck in recent years. They are losing the recruiting battle in Florida to FSU, UF, and now UCF. I don't think being originally recruited by U of M is a status symbol or validation of being bona fide.
Their current recruiting class i higher than all those other schools.

They have both the #2 and #6 OVERALL players in the entire country.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My point being that we shouldn't rush to flip their current players just because they bear the 'U of M' stamp.
You can’t really make that point by criticizing their recruiting classes though.

I’d rather sign those Miami guys than guys who have zero offers out of high school.

And with the way they recruit, I’d take any that wanted to come and ask questions later.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not criticizing their recruiting classes. I'm pointing out that for the most part, they have been a bad football team over the past decade and we shouldn't rush out to grab those players just because they are 'U of M' recruits.

Now, if we can poach one of Cristobal's recruits down the road, that's a different story.
Miami doesn’t suck because they don’t have talent though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



FloridaAggie13
Posts: 19750
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 4877 times
Been thanked: 1741 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 30th, 2022, 12:40 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 11:40 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 7:37 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 5:13 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 4:09 pm
There will be transfers coming in that USU will benefit from as well. Keep an eye on some of these Miami transfers... Banda did recruit some of them. There's one announced today that wouldn't surprise me if we have been in contact with him.
U of M has been a trainwreck in recent years. They are losing the recruiting battle in Florida to FSU, UF, and now UCF. I don't think being originally recruited by U of M is a status symbol or validation of being bona fide.
Their current recruiting class i higher than all those other schools.

They have both the #2 and #6 OVERALL players in the entire country.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My point being that we shouldn't rush to flip their current players just because they bear the 'U of M' stamp.
You can’t really make that point by criticizing their recruiting classes though.

I’d rather sign those Miami guys than guys who have zero offers out of high school.

And with the way they recruit, I’d take any that wanted to come and ask questions later.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not criticizing their recruiting classes. I'm pointing out that for the most part, they have been a bad football team over the past decade and we shouldn't rush out to grab those players just because they are 'U of M' recruits.

Now, if we can poach one of Cristobal's recruits down the road, that's a different story.
Miami doesn’t suck because they don’t have talent though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right now, they are a below average ACC team with average ACC-type talent. They aren't loaded with talent like the U of M teams of old. Hence, we shouldn't just go grab their players simply because U of M recruited them. That's all I'm saying.



Intermeddler
Posts: 2764
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 620 times
Been thanked: 672 times

Re: John Gentry

Post by Intermeddler » November 30th, 2022, 12:52 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 30th, 2022, 11:40 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 7:37 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 5:13 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
November 29th, 2022, 4:09 pm
There will be transfers coming in that USU will benefit from as well. Keep an eye on some of these Miami transfers... Banda did recruit some of them. There's one announced today that wouldn't surprise me if we have been in contact with him.
U of M has been a trainwreck in recent years. They are losing the recruiting battle in Florida to FSU, UF, and now UCF. I don't think being originally recruited by U of M is a status symbol or validation of being bona fide.
Their current recruiting class i higher than all those other schools.

They have both the #2 and #6 OVERALL players in the entire country.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My point being that we shouldn't rush to flip their current players just because they bear the 'U of M' stamp.
You can’t really make that point by criticizing their recruiting classes though.

I’d rather sign those Miami guys than guys who have zero offers out of high school.

And with the way they recruit, I’d take any that wanted to come and ask questions later.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not criticizing their recruiting classes. I'm pointing out that for the most part, they have been a bad football team over the past decade and we shouldn't rush out to grab those players just because they are 'U of M' recruits.

Now, if we can poach one of Cristobal's recruits down the road, that's a different story.
Miami doesn’t suck because they don’t have talent though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s definitely why they suck honestly. The good football players aren’t athletes and the athletes aren’t good football players with few exceptions. I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t have anyone drafted off this roster.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic