Utah State Football needs a Shift in Identity.

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
Hoot
Posts: 1482
Joined: August 16th, 2021, 4:59 pm
Has thanked: 466 times
Been thanked: 695 times

Re: Utah State Football needs a Shift in Identity.

Post by Hoot » November 27th, 2022, 9:23 pm

Harcher wrote:
November 27th, 2022, 8:41 pm
AggieGrad2021 wrote:
November 26th, 2022, 6:37 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
November 26th, 2022, 6:24 pm
AggieGrad2021 wrote:
November 26th, 2022, 6:18 pm
GoldcoastAggie wrote:
November 26th, 2022, 3:35 pm
We will never be able to recruit the types of lineman or running backs you need to play Michigans style. We play the spread because it gives us a chance with undersized guys.
We have undersized lineman currently because the coaching staff tells the strength staff to lean out our guys to a lesser playing weight because we play up tempo with the goal to have a lot of plays.. Pule Alo came in at 340. He’s now 280 soaking wet. We can develop the size if we want. Wyoming doesn’t have a problem. Utah State is much more desirable of a place to go then WYO.
We’ve been far more successful than Wyoming since joining the MW. Why should be try and emulate them and not the other way around?
Wyoming has now beat us 2 years in a row. Would be 3 if we played in 2020. Wyoming struggles because they don’t have enough speed. Which we have. Regardless, we wouldn’t be going total Wyoming. We’d take some things, while also having some spread abilities. Our offense was rather good in 2012, wouldn’t you say?
USU W L Wyo W L Head to head
2022 6 6 7 5 WYO
2021 11 3 7 6 WYO
2020 1 5 2 4 DNP
2019 7 6 8 5 USU
2018 11 2 6 6 USU
2017 6 7 8 5 WYO
2016 3 9 8 6 WYO
2015 6 7 2 10 USU
2014 19 4 4 8 USU
2013 9 5 7 7 USU
Total 79 54 59 62
Average 7.9 5.4 5.9 6.2

Wyo is 1-14 vs Boise last 15 games.

So they really don't have any particular advantage over USU's FB program. Just a couple of recent wins.
That 19-4 season is really underrated.


“Don’t go into the long grass!”

AggiePT
Posts: 395
Joined: August 7th, 2019, 1:41 pm
Has thanked: 1015 times
Been thanked: 260 times

Re: Utah State Football needs a Shift in Identity.

Post by AggiePT » November 28th, 2022, 12:13 am

Sl7vk wrote:
November 27th, 2022, 9:00 pm
I would actually move to a Mike Leach run and shoot style if I had my druthers.
I don’t want to look like Wyoming. Ever. Period.
Yeah, that brown and poop yellow is awful!
These users thanked the author AggiePT for the post:
sam tingey



hickaggie
Posts: 3744
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 617 times

Re: Utah State Football needs a Shift in Identity.

Post by hickaggie » November 28th, 2022, 7:54 am

Intermeddler wrote:
November 27th, 2022, 7:59 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 27th, 2022, 7:40 pm
Um, there is a strong argument that our strength staff should train the guys developing them in the offseason like it's done at Wyoming to try to make the linemen into the type of guys we need to play smashmouth football. But of course that doesn't mean that as far as scheming during the season, we should do it like it's done at Wyoming.
Why would we train our OL to do something contrary to our scheme?
Our O-line issues have a lot less to do with strength than quickness and athleticism. I do think its a tough go to block in a RPO scheme too. You can't go hard as you want downhill for the illegal man penalties and the hybrid run blocking is often difficult when ends are pinning their ears back and even when they aren't its a lot easier to make a move on an 0-lineman who isn't really set up ideally to pass block. The scheme is based on freezing those guys for just long enough.

Extra strength won't hurt as long as it comes with reduced Body fat so that agility is maintained. The marginal gains become harder without illegal help once you hit a certain point in that area and that's where the best trainers come in.



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 20984
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 1224 times
Been thanked: 1933 times

Re: Utah State Football needs a Shift in Identity.

Post by NVAggie » November 28th, 2022, 8:38 am

I have really disliked the RPO blocking for the O line. It is very difficult for them as mentioned above. There are times our guys look dominant pushing people around. Other times, they have looked mediocre. Our O line is much better at mowing people over. I guess we need to recruit some RPO linemen.



User avatar
GeoAg
Moderator
Posts: 8104
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:09 am
Has thanked: 218 times
Been thanked: 1180 times

Re: Utah State Football needs a Shift in Identity.

Post by GeoAg » November 28th, 2022, 8:48 am

AggieGrad2021 wrote:
November 26th, 2022, 6:18 pm
GoldcoastAggie wrote:
November 26th, 2022, 3:35 pm
We will never be able to recruit the types of lineman or running backs you need to play Michigans style. We play the spread because it gives us a chance with undersized guys.
We have undersized lineman currently because the coaching staff tells the strength staff to lean out our guys to a lesser playing weight because we play up tempo with the goal to have a lot of plays.. Pule Alo came in at 340. He’s now 280 soaking wet. We can develop the size if we want. Wyoming doesn’t have a problem. Utah State is much more desirable of a place to go then WYO.
Our line isn't under-sized...unless you want to run what you are saying. Our OL is very typical size for the MWC


"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

User avatar
GeoAg
Moderator
Posts: 8104
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:09 am
Has thanked: 218 times
Been thanked: 1180 times

Re: Utah State Football needs a Shift in Identity.

Post by GeoAg » November 28th, 2022, 8:52 am

Harcher wrote:
November 27th, 2022, 8:41 pm
AggieGrad2021 wrote:
November 26th, 2022, 6:37 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
November 26th, 2022, 6:24 pm
AggieGrad2021 wrote:
November 26th, 2022, 6:18 pm
GoldcoastAggie wrote:
November 26th, 2022, 3:35 pm
We will never be able to recruit the types of lineman or running backs you need to play Michigans style. We play the spread because it gives us a chance with undersized guys.
We have undersized lineman currently because the coaching staff tells the strength staff to lean out our guys to a lesser playing weight because we play up tempo with the goal to have a lot of plays.. Pule Alo came in at 340. He’s now 280 soaking wet. We can develop the size if we want. Wyoming doesn’t have a problem. Utah State is much more desirable of a place to go then WYO.
We’ve been far more successful than Wyoming since joining the MW. Why should be try and emulate them and not the other way around?
Wyoming has now beat us 2 years in a row. Would be 3 if we played in 2020. Wyoming struggles because they don’t have enough speed. Which we have. Regardless, we wouldn’t be going total Wyoming. We’d take some things, while also having some spread abilities. Our offense was rather good in 2012, wouldn’t you say?
USU W L Wyo W L Head to head
2022 6 6 7 5 WYO
2021 11 3 7 6 WYO
2020 1 5 2 4 DNP
2019 7 6 8 5 USU
2018 11 2 6 6 USU
2017 6 7 8 5 WYO
2016 3 9 8 6 WYO
2015 6 7 2 10 USU
2014 19 4 4 8 USU
2013 9 5 7 7 USU
Total 79 54 59 62
Average 7.9 5.4 5.9 6.2

Wyo is 1-14 vs Boise last 15 games.

So they really don't have any particular advantage over USU's FB program. Just a couple of recent wins.
This is why we shouldn't change. We average 8 and 5 while they average 6 and 6...note they average 1 less game per year (bowl game).


"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

User avatar
GeoAg
Moderator
Posts: 8104
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:09 am
Has thanked: 218 times
Been thanked: 1180 times

Re: Utah State Football needs a Shift in Identity.

Post by GeoAg » November 28th, 2022, 8:54 am

Our OL is better than many think. They pretty much just handled the best team in the conference for about 2 and a half quarters. Just need more consistency. This was on top of consistent improvement through the year. I expect them to be improved next year.

I would like to see more out of our backs. I have been frustrated this year by the number of times I saw our OL relocated the LOS downfield 2-3 yards to somehow only result in a 2-3 yard gain. Gotta bounce in the zone blocking scheme. Once Tyler started doing that more later in the season, our run game was much improved.


"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

User avatar
utahcountyaggie
Posts: 172
Joined: August 15th, 2018, 11:56 am
Has thanked: 304 times
Been thanked: 71 times

Re: Utah State Football needs a Shift in Identity.

Post by utahcountyaggie » November 28th, 2022, 10:16 am

GeoAg wrote:
November 28th, 2022, 8:54 am
Our OL is better than many think. They pretty much just handled the best team in the conference for about 2 and a half quarters. Just need more consistency. This was on top of consistent improvement through the year. I expect them to be improved next year.

I would like to see more out of our backs. I have been frustrated this year by the number of times I saw our OL relocated the LOS downfield 2-3 yards to somehow only result in a 2-3 yard gain. Gotta bounce in the zone blocking scheme. Once Tyler started doing that more later in the season, our run game was much improved.
I'd like to think the line is improved next year, but am pretty unsure losing 3 starters.

Who do we run with next year?
Falepule at C (he's just so tiny), Weylin back at RG, Mecham back at LG.
I think I'd most like to see Tavo Motu'apuaka and Elia Migao, but I think they both play at the Guard spots, as well.



User avatar
GeoAg
Moderator
Posts: 8104
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:09 am
Has thanked: 218 times
Been thanked: 1180 times

Re: Utah State Football needs a Shift in Identity.

Post by GeoAg » November 28th, 2022, 10:35 am

utahcountyaggie wrote:
November 28th, 2022, 10:16 am
GeoAg wrote:
November 28th, 2022, 8:54 am
Our OL is better than many think. They pretty much just handled the best team in the conference for about 2 and a half quarters. Just need more consistency. This was on top of consistent improvement through the year. I expect them to be improved next year.

I would like to see more out of our backs. I have been frustrated this year by the number of times I saw our OL relocated the LOS downfield 2-3 yards to somehow only result in a 2-3 yard gain. Gotta bounce in the zone blocking scheme. Once Tyler started doing that more later in the season, our run game was much improved.
I'd like to think the line is improved next year, but am pretty unsure losing 3 starters.

Who do we run with next year?
Falepule at C (he's just so tiny), Weylin back at RG, Mecham back at LG.
I think I'd most like to see Tavo Motu'apuaka and Elia Migao, but I think they both play at the Guard spots, as well.
We essentially had 7 starters this year IMO with Motes and Alo.

We lost Dolphin and Edwards. We still have Lapuaho, Meacham (who I think will play C), Alo, and Motes. I was surprised to see South walk on senior day as I thought he had a covid year. We also have the best year of OL recruiting we've ever had with Migao, Tavo, Radford, Andersen, and Fua waiting to step into the remaining spot or two.


"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Intermeddler
Posts: 2768
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 622 times
Been thanked: 673 times

Re: Utah State Football needs a Shift in Identity.

Post by Intermeddler » November 28th, 2022, 11:18 am

hickaggie wrote:
November 28th, 2022, 7:54 am
Intermeddler wrote:
November 27th, 2022, 7:59 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 27th, 2022, 7:40 pm
Um, there is a strong argument that our strength staff should train the guys developing them in the offseason like it's done at Wyoming to try to make the linemen into the type of guys we need to play smashmouth football. But of course that doesn't mean that as far as scheming during the season, we should do it like it's done at Wyoming.
Why would we train our OL to do something contrary to our scheme?
Our O-line issues have a lot less to do with strength than quickness and athleticism. I do think its a tough go to block in a RPO scheme too. You can't go hard as you want downhill for the illegal man penalties and the hybrid run blocking is often difficult when ends are pinning their ears back and even when they aren't its a lot easier to make a move on an 0-lineman who isn't really set up ideally to pass block. The scheme is based on freezing those guys for just long enough.

Extra strength won't hurt as long as it comes with reduced Body fat so that agility is maintained. The marginal gains become harder without illegal help once you hit a certain point in that area and that's where the best trainers come in.
I agree, but you only have so long to really work these guys in the offseason. Tough to train for added strength, lower body fat, and agility in the same 3-6 month period without compromising your gains in one of those areas. It definitely can be done, but not sure why we want to do what Wyoming does in the offseason and then not do what they do in the regular season is my point.



hickaggie
Posts: 3744
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 617 times

Re: Utah State Football needs a Shift in Identity.

Post by hickaggie » November 28th, 2022, 12:21 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
November 28th, 2022, 11:18 am
hickaggie wrote:
November 28th, 2022, 7:54 am
Intermeddler wrote:
November 27th, 2022, 7:59 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 27th, 2022, 7:40 pm
Um, there is a strong argument that our strength staff should train the guys developing them in the offseason like it's done at Wyoming to try to make the linemen into the type of guys we need to play smashmouth football. But of course that doesn't mean that as far as scheming during the season, we should do it like it's done at Wyoming.
Why would we train our OL to do something contrary to our scheme?
Our O-line issues have a lot less to do with strength than quickness and athleticism. I do think its a tough go to block in a RPO scheme too. You can't go hard as you want downhill for the illegal man penalties and the hybrid run blocking is often difficult when ends are pinning their ears back and even when they aren't its a lot easier to make a move on an 0-lineman who isn't really set up ideally to pass block. The scheme is based on freezing those guys for just long enough.

Extra strength won't hurt as long as it comes with reduced Body fat so that agility is maintained. The marginal gains become harder without illegal help once you hit a certain point in that area and that's where the best trainers come in.
I agree, but you only have so long to really work these guys in the offseason. Tough to train for added strength, lower body fat, and agility in the same 3-6 month period without compromising your gains in one of those areas. It definitely can be done, but not sure why we want to do what Wyoming does in the offseason and then not do what they do in the regular season is my point.
I agree.



User avatar
El Sapo
Posts: 2245
Joined: November 27th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 471 times
Been thanked: 540 times

Re: Utah State Football needs a Shift in Identity.

Post by El Sapo » November 28th, 2022, 12:39 pm

IMHO This year our identity was more related to the players than the coaches.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic