Sticking with Bonner

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Sl7vk

Sticking with Bonner

Post by Sl7vk » November 19th, 2022, 11:32 pm

Looms large.
UNLV and Weber ST.
Could be 8-3 with a chance to go to the MWCC with a win again. Would have been just like last year.

And on a side note….. Tucker/Anderson sticking with dropsie McGriff looks very similar to sticking with Bonner.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 3):
KevincurtisforlifeIntermeddlerIdaAg93

Hoot

Re: Sticking with Bonner

Post by Hoot » November 19th, 2022, 11:34 pm

I’m grateful for the bowl(s) and the good times but I will not miss this staff. (Aside from Chuckie I hope he stays.)

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

ususports

Post by ususports » November 19th, 2022, 11:39 pm

Hoot wrote:
November 19th, 2022, 11:34 pm
I’m grateful for the bowl(s) and the good times but I will not miss this staff. (Aside from Chuckie I hope he stays.)
Where is the staff headed?

BioAggie

Post by BioAggie » November 19th, 2022, 11:45 pm

could have been calling him McGripps, but McDropps fits so much better.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » November 20th, 2022, 12:10 am

Talked about at length. It sucks but maybe time to move on.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 2):
bigblue32MrBiggle

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 20th, 2022, 2:48 am

I think we beat BYU with a seasoned Legas too. The season that could have been. I will say it has been much more fun since the change and tonight was a great game to watch. McGriff is a joke and yet he stays out there. He doesn’t run routes unless they’re to him and my heavens he has Ostertag’s hands.

If we cut out the stupid penalties we really are a good team.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 20th, 2022, 8:08 am

Bonner played well vs. UCONN, which we now know was a good win. (Which is why I pointed that out in the last thread)
None of us expected anything out of the Bama game...
And although if it were me personally. I'd have pulled Bonner well into the Weber game- he probably still would have gotten the start versus UNLV.

Blake said after the Weber game that he was giving Bonner the week to get right.

What some of you are asking is essentially to have pulled Bonner after a few bad drives after leading us to a bowl las season, winning against a good UCONN team, and then performing as expected against Alabama. You don't do that to your starters. Bonner had earned a long leash.

If anything the thing that pisses me off this year is rolling over and dying vs Bama.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 2):
jackattackFloridaAggie13

Donman

Post by Donman » November 20th, 2022, 8:28 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 8:08 am
Bonner played well vs. UCONN, which we now know was a good win. (Which is why I pointed that out in the last thread)
And although if it were me personally. I'd have pulled Bonner well into the Weber game- he probably still would have gotten the start versus UNLV.

Blake said after the Weber game that he was giving Bonner the week to get right.

What some of you are asking is essentially to have pulled Bonner after a few bad drives after leading us to a bowl las season, winning against a good UCONN team, and then performing as expected against Alabama. You don't do that to your starters. Bonner had earned a long leash.

If anything the thing that pisses me off this year is rolling over and dying vs Bama.
I don't think we did Logan any favors. He couldn't move. Got pulled from Bama because as I watched the game and said to those around me. He's going to get killed because he couldn't move in the pocket. Wasn't any better the next two games. Should have given him time to get right..
These users thanked the author Donman for the post:
IdaAg93

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » November 20th, 2022, 8:30 am

Imakeitrain wrote:

Healthy Bonner is the quintessential gunslinger. You live with the good and the bad, and given the exceptional receivers and chemistry last year the good outweighed the bad.

Injured Bonner is an injured gunslinger. Lost some zip and distance on the gunslinging, and the result was that 5% needed to make a gunslinger have their positives outweigh their negatives. I compare it to young Favre vs old Favre.
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post:
AggiePT

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 20th, 2022, 8:34 am

jpswensen wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 8:30 am
Imakeitrain wrote:

Healthy Bonner is the quintessential gunslinger. You live with the good and the bad, and given the exceptional receivers and chemistry last year the good outweighed the bad.

Injured Bonner is an injured gunslinger. Lost some zip and distance on the gunslinging, and the result was that 5% needed to make a gunslinger have their positives outweigh their negatives. I compare it to young Favre vs old Favre.
That’s all true. But to have pulled bonner would have been giving him a short leash. Blake believed it to be largely a mental and not physical block based off the words of doctors, to include nfl doctors.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 20th, 2022, 8:47 am

Bonner has 1 good quarter against UCONN. Nobody expected to beat Alabama, but Austin Peay gave them a better game. The coaches told the kids we couldn’t win, closed the playbook, and told the team the starters would play a free drives and then come out. That set the time for the Weber debacle. NO FCS TEAM SHOULD EVER DOMINATE AN FBS TEAM. EVER!!!

Bonner should have started that game, but when it was clear that his injury, or mindset, was a problem he should have been pulled.

Bonner went into the UNLV game with a short leash and proceeded to turn the ball over 6, count it 6, times and stop took every snap. That’s not loyalty, that stubborn stupidity that crushed our team’s soul. Had Bonner not gotten injured, he would have started the BYU game and we’d be a 2-3 win team this year.

Injury forced this staff’s hand which saved our season.

This is not a shot at Bonner. He is one of the best to ever wear Aggie blue. He firstly wasn’t physically able to play QB this year.
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 4):
Sl7vkNicconJSHarveyAglicious

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Hoot

Post by Hoot » November 20th, 2022, 9:25 am

ususports wrote:
November 19th, 2022, 11:39 pm
Hoot wrote:
November 19th, 2022, 11:34 pm
Where is the staff headed?
Nowhere sadly.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 20th, 2022, 9:49 am

dyedblue wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 8:47 am
Bonner has 1 good quarter against UCONN. Nobody expected to beat Alabama, but Austin Peay gave them a better game. The coaches told the kids we couldn’t win, closed the playbook, and told the team the starters would play a free drives and then come out. That set the time for the Weber debacle. NO FCS TEAM SHOULD EVER DOMINATE AN FBS TEAM. EVER!!!

Bonner should have started that game, but when it was clear that his injury, or mindset, was a problem he should have been pulled.

Bonner went into the UNLV game with a short leash and proceeded to turn the ball over 6, count it 6, times and stop took every snap. That’s not loyalty, that stubborn stupidity that crushed our team’s soul. Had Bonner not gotten injured, he would have started the BYU game and we’d be a 2-3 win team this year.

Injury forced this staff’s hand which saved our season.

This is not a shot at Bonner. He is one of the best to ever wear Aggie blue. He firstly wasn’t physically able to play QB this year.
There is absolutely no guarantee we beat BYU with Legas getting snaps against UNLV to crack the rust. The entire offense was changed to fit Legas' skillset vs Bonner's during the bye week. Even today, two months later, we run a limited passing offense due to a really inexperienced (but talented) quarterback who, so far, has shown to be only an average passer.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » November 20th, 2022, 9:49 am

On the week leading up to the UNLV game, there were many on here (and other media outlets), that labeled that game as the most important game of the year, or the game that could determine the outcome of this season. And well, they were kinda right.

Legas’ heroics in the AFA game gave them the chance to salvage a bowl game with the remaining schedule getting much lighter. Unfortunate timing with injuries going into Wyoming, but the UNLV game was inexcusable.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » November 20th, 2022, 9:56 am

So we are doing this again?
These users thanked the author brian5562 for the post (total 3):
FloridaAggie13MadmartiganAggiecpa

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » November 20th, 2022, 9:59 am

brian5562 wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 9:56 am
We always need something to (I can't express myself without swearing) about. Why not bring out a classic?

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » November 20th, 2022, 11:40 am

I think I've accepted Anderson's choice. Even though Bonner looked and played physically limited v UConn or Alabama, given his status, he probably deserved to play the whole Weber and UNLV games.

Even though I accept the choices Anderson made with Bonner, I'm going to say he handled the situation poorly.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » November 20th, 2022, 11:48 am

Madmartigan wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 9:59 am
brian5562 wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 9:56 am
We always need something to (I can't express myself without swearing) about. Why not bring out a classic?
^This!

#hornsup!

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 20th, 2022, 11:51 am

El Sapo wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 11:40 am
I think I've accepted Anderson's choice. Even though Bonner looked and played physically limited v UConn or Alabama, given his status, he probably deserved to play the whole Weber and UNLV games.

Even though I accept the choices Anderson made with Bonner, I'm going to say he handled the situation poorly.
I agree, but I can see why he made the choice to stick with Bonner. The choice is so obvious now, but it really wasn't two months ago. Sitting a starter with five years of experience, thousands of snaps, thousands of passes, coming off the best season in school history in favor of a player with about 45 minutes of game experience and 21 career pass attempts, is really not the obvious choice some make it out to be.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 20th, 2022, 11:54 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 11:51 am
El Sapo wrote:

I agree, but I can see why he made the choice to stick with Bonner. The choice is so obvious now, but it really wasn't two months ago. Sitting a starter with five years of experience, thousands of snaps, thousands of passes, coming off the best season in school history in favor of a player with about 45 minutes of game experience and 21 career pass attempts, is really not the obvious choice some make it out to be.
This poll would suggest how it was obvious to everyone except Anderson two months ago that benching Bonner for Legas was the way to go.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63840

And the fact is, the starter coming off the knee injury was NOT the same quarterback that threw thousands of passes, he looked off in the passes he threw since the injury.

And the 21 career pass attempts were not garbage attempts, the first was a 62 yard touchdown.

It's about quality not quantity. The quality of Bonner's attempts this season were poor while the few attempts Cooper had last year were of a very high quality.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 20th, 2022, 12:22 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 11:54 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 11:51 am
El Sapo wrote:

This poll would suggest how it was obvious to everyone except Anderson two months ago that benching Bonner for Legas was the way to go.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63840

And the fact is, the starter coming off the knee injury was NOT the same quarterback that threw thousands of passes, he looked off in the passes he threw since the injury.

And the 21 career pass attempts were not garbage attempts, the first was a 62 yard touchdown.

It's about quality not quantity. The quality of Bonner's attempts this season were poor while the few attempts Cooper had last year were of a very high quality.
I never said they were garbage attempts, but it was only twenty attempts. In his career. We can still see how limited of a passer he is. He will get better, but it takes time and experience, seeing different defenses and knowing how to react.

I had no problem playing Bonner into the UNLV game and wouldn't have had a problem with him being replaced at halftime. I don't know if it would have made a difference because Legas isn't a great passer and the offense we were running, was pass heavy. Even today, Legas is just an average passer. I'm sure he'll get better with time and experience.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 20th, 2022, 12:35 pm

What I want is competition to decide.
Bonner shouldn't have been given the starting job based on who he was last year. Every player needs to earn it, and re-earn it.
The idea that a player doesn't lose their job because of injury is nonsense. Was New England supposed to bench Brady when Bledsoe said he was ready to go? No.
Always be evaluating who is best based on current data.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
PIGSKINAGGIE

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 20th, 2022, 1:27 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

No. It was obvious wayyyyyy before now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 20th, 2022, 1:56 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 1:27 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

Right, because most successful coaches stake their season, and possibly career, on a QB with forty-five minutes of game experience over a five-year starter coming off the best season in school history.

As fans, we are afforded the courtesy of knee-jerk reactions and always believing the guy sitting on the bench is actually better than the starter. Our careers aren't on the line. The coaches aren't given the same leeway.

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » November 20th, 2022, 2:11 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 1:56 pm
2004AG wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

Right, because most successful coaches stake their season, and possibly career, on a QB with forty-five minutes of game experience over a five-year starter coming off the best season in school history.

As fans, we are afforded the courtesy of knee-jerk reactions and always believing the guy sitting on the bench is actually better than the starter. Our careers aren't on the line. The coaches aren't given the same leeway.
You’re missing context. Bonner was nowhere near the same guy as last year. It was obvious from the beginning. You don’t just come off an ACL injury and perform the same 9 months later. That’s why the majority of the fan base is annoyed with the stubbornness of sticking with Bonner.
These users thanked the author UStateTim for the post:
FloridaAggie13

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 20th, 2022, 2:12 pm

Cam Rising had thrown 8 passes prior becoming a starter for Utah last year. Brewer had a stellar career to that point with about 9,500 career passing yards.

Whitt didn’t flinch or play favorites, he did right by his team and it landed them in the Rose Bowl.
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
aggies22

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 20th, 2022, 2:27 pm

The average passing we have seen out of Legas is better than the poor passing we have seen out of this year's version of Bonner. And there is the threat to run for the first down mark to keep drives alive, which there was NONE OF with Bonner.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 20th, 2022, 2:47 pm

The inability of our receivers to get open is the biggest problem we’ve had. Logan was a sitting duck back there and Cooper improvise. Last year we had DT that could catch anything near him.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » November 20th, 2022, 3:24 pm

Why does everyone assume pulling Bonner would have been permanent? Clemson pulled their QB for a half and things went swimmingly. I liken it to a heart arrhythmia; a good shock will put things back into rhythm. Blake shat the bed. It was one of many poor decisions he made this year as a head coach. The evidence of those poor decisions is empirical and beyond debate: We're 6-5 instead of 8-3 and playing for a divisional championship in Boise this weekend. My hope is that he ceases to make poor and emotional decisions, because his players follow his example to the tune of what seems like 2-3 dead ball personal fouls every game. He's in charge, and he's responsible for the program, and this year, he's done a poor job. I expect he'll sit down with his supervisor like all USU employees are required to do (right?) and set goals and a performance improvement plan that has penalties for not meeting them. Otherwise, we'll vote with our wallets.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post (total 7):
AGinNEIowaAggiecpaSl7vkaggies22PIGSKINAGGIENVAggieGreenAg

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 20th, 2022, 9:04 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

And yet, BA did exactly that.

It what obvious to everybody but you and Blake that Bonner couldn’t get the job done. It’s not confusing.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkHoot

Hoot

Post by Hoot » November 20th, 2022, 10:05 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 9:04 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

It what obvious to everybody but you and Blake that Bonner couldn’t get the job done. It’s not confusing.

I think he’s more playing devils advocate for Blake than pounding the table for Bonner.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 21st, 2022, 5:48 am

2004AG wrote:
November 20th, 2022, 9:04 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

Not true. It was obvious to me that he was struggling. However, due to a variety of factors, I wasn't convinced replacing him with a QB - despite his talent, with forty-five minutes of experience and zero starts was the 'obvious' answer.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 21st, 2022, 6:06 am

BA not only staked this season and his career on playing the wing QB, he went to war with the fans who expressed their frustration at getting killed by an FCS team. Despite not understanding that the boos were for him, and not Bonner, BA assured us he was on a short leash the next week. Clearly he wasn’t as he proceeded to turn it over six times as we got beat by a horrible UNLV team.

It was obvious in the moment and even more obvious with hindsight that the QB position was a problem. We were right. There were other factors, and as many of us pointed out, they change didn’t need to be permanent at first.
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 2):
2004AGSl7vk

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 21st, 2022, 7:00 am

Some of you all freak out when SLB does the same "told you so" so stuff and ride him really harshly.

What is the point in relitigating all of this? The team turned the season around and yes, the coaches were a part of that. So calm your tits and be happy for once.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13AggieUprising50

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 21st, 2022, 7:33 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
November 21st, 2022, 7:00 am
Some of you all freak out when SLB does the same "told you so" so stuff and ride him really harshly.

What is the point in relitigating all of this? The team turned the season around and yes, the coaches were a part of that. So calm your tits and be happy for once.
I am happy and surprised that the coaches and players turned it around. Glad we made a bowl.

Last season, winning a conference championship and bowl game covered a lot of warts and was the focal point of the season. It was soo good, it’s all anyone really remembers.

This season, giving up against Alabama, losing to Weber State, and then letting Bonner contribute to 6 turnovers against UNLV was soo catastrophically bad that it overshadows the rest of the season. At best, this season will be remembered as the year we lost to Weber State but found a way to turn things around and make a bowl game. That loss, and the coach’s reaction to it, were both deep cuts that defined the season.

So, I think most are happy the team salvaged something, but the early season is being relitigated because it was so catastrophic, and, in hindsight, was seemingly avoidable. I think most are just hoping some lessons were learned by the staff.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
2004AGSl7vktjensen_25

Locked Previous topicNext topic