Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FromLItoLogan
Posts: 287
Joined: March 3rd, 2014, 7:52 pm
Location: Logan, Utah
Has thanked: 228 times
Been thanked: 122 times

Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by FromLItoLogan » November 14th, 2022, 2:22 pm



I wonder what his story is?



AggieGrad2021
Posts: 151
Joined: November 2nd, 2022, 3:01 pm
Has thanked: 63 times
Been thanked: 71 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by AggieGrad2021 » November 14th, 2022, 2:29 pm

I’ll defer to Brian on this, em he probably knows more, but I’m assuming it has something to do with his lack of playing time. He was in the rotation getting a lot of reps in a national championship game, to have guys like KVN ahead of him here, I’m sure he wasn’t thrilled with that.



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 17654
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 795 times
Been thanked: 1473 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by brownjeans » November 14th, 2022, 2:46 pm

AggieGrad2021 wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 2:29 pm
I’ll defer to Brian on this, em he probably knows more, but I’m assuming it has something to do with his lack of playing time. He was in the rotation getting a lot of reps in a national championship game, to have guys like KVN ahead of him here, I’m sure he wasn’t thrilled with that.
His reason for leaving may be connected to his lack of playing time
His lack of playing time may be connected to why he is now leaving



User avatar
Hoot
Posts: 1458
Joined: August 16th, 2021, 4:59 pm
Has thanked: 457 times
Been thanked: 667 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by Hoot » November 14th, 2022, 2:57 pm

I’d be mad if McGriff was playing over me too lol.
These users thanked the author Hoot for the post (total 3):
Aggie19AGinNEIowacrazywookie


“Don’t go into the long grass!”

User avatar
DreadPirateRoberts
Posts: 111
Joined: August 4th, 2019, 3:03 pm
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by DreadPirateRoberts » November 14th, 2022, 3:55 pm

This is old news.


The Dread Pirate Roberts leaves no survivors.

User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 6748
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 869 times
Been thanked: 2046 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 14th, 2022, 4:40 pm

There's a lot of dudes no longer on the roster that haven't been there a bit. Maybe this is recency bias, but it feels to me like more non-injury attrition than I'm accustomed to seeing mid-season..



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 16138
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 16238 times
Been thanked: 10084 times
Contact:

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by aggies22 » November 14th, 2022, 5:07 pm

DreadPirateRoberts wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 3:55 pm
This is old news.
This is very old news. The Aggship guy tweeted this out today for some strange reason.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
DreadPirateRoberts



LarryTheAggie
Posts: 1396
Joined: July 4th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Location: Washington DC
Has thanked: 655 times
Been thanked: 899 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by LarryTheAggie » November 14th, 2022, 5:08 pm

aggies22 wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 5:07 pm
DreadPirateRoberts wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 3:55 pm
This is old news.
This is very old news. The Aggship guy tweeted this out today for some strange reason.
Odd I think Kyle Goon tweeted about it 2 days ago...
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22sam tingey



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 16138
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 16238 times
Been thanked: 10084 times
Contact:

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by aggies22 » November 14th, 2022, 5:10 pm

Here is the list of players that WERE on the fall camp roster that no longer appear on the roster released today.

RB - Pailate Makakona
WR - Ziggy Williams
TE - Jimmy McCormack
TE - Ron Tiavasu'ue
OL - Austin Leausa
DE - Addison Trupp
LB - Marcus Betts
LB - Avery Ellis
LB - Owen Fa'amoe
S - Gurvan Hall
Last edited by aggies22 on November 14th, 2022, 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
FromLItoLogan



hvaggie
Posts: 226
Joined: August 3rd, 2014, 3:59 pm
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by hvaggie » November 14th, 2022, 5:21 pm

And Ron Tiavasuue
These users thanked the author hvaggie for the post:
aggies22



User avatar
aggieguy13
Posts: 1342
Joined: December 1st, 2010, 7:51 pm
Has thanked: 745 times
Been thanked: 567 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by aggieguy13 » November 14th, 2022, 5:25 pm

Can we get the full Marcus Betts story now? Wasn't he like 28 years old and hadn't played since 2015?



Imakeitrain
Posts: 11502
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 590 times
Been thanked: 1168 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by Imakeitrain » November 14th, 2022, 5:55 pm

It seems like there is an uptick the past year or so around the country. I do remember hearing this a while ago but maybe I heard a rumor then that now came to fruition.

I think there can be a lot of reasons for it and wont pretend to know. I will say with super seniors, I can completely understand the frustration for people that dont feel they are getting enough playing time.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 16138
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 16238 times
Been thanked: 10084 times
Contact:

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by aggies22 » November 14th, 2022, 6:08 pm

hvaggie wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 5:21 pm
And Ron Tiavasuue
Dammit. I left him off. Thanks my Aggie brother!



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 16138
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 16238 times
Been thanked: 10084 times
Contact:

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by aggies22 » November 14th, 2022, 6:09 pm

Hoot wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 2:57 pm
I’d be mad if McGriff was playing over me too lol.
And now McGriff is skipping his covid season.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Hoot



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 6748
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 869 times
Been thanked: 2046 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 14th, 2022, 6:42 pm

I know John Gentry is still listed on the roster, but I have to include him on the list as well.

He never saw the field, he doesn’t dress, and he’s been totally removed from the depth chart.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on November 14th, 2022, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.



slcagg
Posts: 12359
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 3542 times
Been thanked: 2985 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by slcagg » November 14th, 2022, 6:55 pm

aggies22 wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 6:09 pm
Hoot wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 2:57 pm
I’d be mad if McGriff was playing over me too lol.
And now McGriff is skipping his covid season.
Best of luck to him. I’m looking forward to who steps up next year in that spot.



AggieGrad2021
Posts: 151
Joined: November 2nd, 2022, 3:01 pm
Has thanked: 63 times
Been thanked: 71 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by AggieGrad2021 » November 14th, 2022, 9:12 pm

What’s with John Gentry. I really thought he showed a lot of upside last year.



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 1377
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 299 times
Been thanked: 513 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » November 14th, 2022, 9:31 pm

aggies22 wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 5:10 pm
Here is the list of players that WERE on the fall camp roster that no longer appear on the roster released today.

RB - Pailate Makakona
WR - Ziggy Williams
TE - Jimmy McCormack
TE - Ron Tiavasu'ue
OL - Austin Leausa
DE - Addison Trupp
LB - Marcus Betts
LB - Avery Ellis
LB - Owen Fa'amoe
S - Gurvan Hall
What happened to Hall?



Elkaggie
Posts: 4976
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 706 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by Elkaggie » November 14th, 2022, 9:32 pm

Coach said kind of under his breathe at luncheon that “Gurvan is currently not on the roster due to some injuries” he said it fast while showing highlights from game as he was talking about Marion playing safety.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 16138
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 16238 times
Been thanked: 10084 times
Contact:

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by aggies22 » November 14th, 2022, 9:39 pm

AggieGrad2021 wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 9:12 pm
What’s with John Gentry. I really thought he showed a lot of upside last year.
For whatever reason he just doesn't fit in the plans. I don't expect him to return next year.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 16138
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 16238 times
Been thanked: 10084 times
Contact:

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by aggies22 » November 14th, 2022, 9:40 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 9:32 pm
Coach said kind of under his breathe at luncheon that “Gurvan is currently not on the roster due to some injuries” he said it fast while showing highlights from game as he was talking about Marion playing safety.
It is not injury related.



Elkaggie
Posts: 4976
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 706 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by Elkaggie » November 14th, 2022, 9:48 pm

aggies22 wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 9:40 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 9:32 pm
Coach said kind of under his breathe at luncheon that “Gurvan is currently not on the roster due to some injuries” he said it fast while showing highlights from game as he was talking about Marion playing safety.
It is not injury related.
I know but that is a direct quote from BA at todays luncheon. Why would he say that ??



GrandPoubah
Posts: 193
Joined: November 17th, 2019, 3:45 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by GrandPoubah » November 14th, 2022, 11:22 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 9:48 pm
aggies22 wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 9:40 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 9:32 pm
Coach said kind of under his breathe at luncheon that “Gurvan is currently not on the roster due to some injuries” he said it fast while showing highlights from game as he was talking about Marion playing safety.
It is not injury related.
I know but that is a direct quote from BA at todays luncheon. Why would he say that ??
Cuz, despite y'all soaking up that born again stuff, the man talks out both sides of his mouth.



User avatar
WAAggie
Posts: 3062
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:02 am
Location: Kent WA
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 333 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by WAAggie » November 15th, 2022, 5:28 am

Surprised it took 23 post before pouba contributed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author WAAggie for the post:
Aggiecpa



User avatar
AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG
Posts: 7281
Joined: January 10th, 2003, 12:00 am
Location: northeast Iowa
Has thanked: 1413 times
Been thanked: 600 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by AGinNEIowa » November 15th, 2022, 8:15 am

Elkaggie wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 9:48 pm
aggies22 wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 9:40 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 9:32 pm
Coach said kind of under his breathe at luncheon that “Gurvan is currently not on the roster due to some injuries” he said it fast while showing highlights from game as he was talking about Marion playing safety.
It is not injury related.
I know but that is a direct quote from BA at todays luncheon. Why would he say that ??
injury to multiple egos?


WEEKLY PICK'EM & WTHCG YTD Standings Congrats NHAggie WTHCG Winner and Floppy Hat Weekly Winner
2022 KICKOFF Pick'Em Results and Standings -Congrats to winner -QUACKATTACKAGGIE
Bowl Pick'em deadline is 10am Saturday 12/17

User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 6748
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 869 times
Been thanked: 2046 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 15th, 2022, 8:33 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 6:42 pm
I know John Gentry is still listed on the roster, but I have to include him on the list as well.

He never saw the field, he doesn’t dress, and he’s been totally removed from the depth chart.
Cole Joyce is another player no longer listed on the depth chart. No idea if he's hurt or what. It's insane how thin we are at LB right now.



User avatar
GeoAg
Moderator
Posts: 8097
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:09 am
Has thanked: 216 times
Been thanked: 1176 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by GeoAg » November 15th, 2022, 8:50 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
November 15th, 2022, 8:33 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 6:42 pm
I know John Gentry is still listed on the roster, but I have to include him on the list as well.

He never saw the field, he doesn’t dress, and he’s been totally removed from the depth chart.
Cole Joyce is another player no longer listed on the depth chart. No idea if he's hurt or what. It's insane how thin we are at LB right now.
He played on Saturday on special teams. He is still on the roster as of today.


"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

HomeTown
Posts: 270
Joined: December 8th, 2018, 10:07 am
Location: Logan, Utah
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 138 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by HomeTown » November 15th, 2022, 3:03 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 9:48 pm
aggies22 wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 9:40 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 9:32 pm
Coach said kind of under his breathe at luncheon that “Gurvan is currently not on the roster due to some injuries” he said it fast while showing highlights from game as he was talking about Marion playing safety.
It is not injury related.
I know but that is a direct quote from BA at todays luncheon. Why would he say that ??
I don't think he said exactly that. I think it was more like 'Due to Gurvan not currently being on the roster and some injuries Marion is playing.' I think Gurvan not on the roster and injuries were two different reasons for him seeing the field not one statement as a single reason.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 16138
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 16238 times
Been thanked: 10084 times
Contact:

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by aggies22 » November 15th, 2022, 3:17 pm

HomeTown wrote:
November 15th, 2022, 3:03 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 9:48 pm
aggies22 wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 9:40 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
November 14th, 2022, 9:32 pm
Coach said kind of under his breathe at luncheon that “Gurvan is currently not on the roster due to some injuries” he said it fast while showing highlights from game as he was talking about Marion playing safety.
It is not injury related.
I know but that is a direct quote from BA at todays luncheon. Why would he say that ??
I don't think he said exactly that. I think it was more like 'Due to Gurvan not currently being on the roster and some injuries Marion is playing.' I think Gurvan not on the roster and injuries were two different reasons for him seeing the field not one statement as a single reason.
Precisely this.



User avatar
AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff
Posts: 2277
Joined: January 1st, 1997, 12:00 am
Has thanked: 885 times
Been thanked: 607 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by AggiesForever » November 16th, 2022, 8:56 am

Players leave for a variety of reasons. Anderson said Monday it's is usually always about playing time.

I think in Hall's case he came out here for his Senior season thinking he was guaranteed a starting role, which he initially had. But he didn't count on Ike Larsen simply becoming a better player than him. Now you have Larsen and Reynolds starting at safety and Hall is upset about. The answer: play better.

Xavier Williams was non factor all spring, they did everything they could to try and get him meaningful touches. But he couldn't beat out the guy in front of him, the same as at Alabama. Why? Don't know. But he's not playing, so he wants to go somewhere else . . . where I'm betting the same thing will happen again.

With most of these players who transfer, it's about playing time. But it goes deeper. In many cases their practice habits, and "motor" just don't match up with what the coaches are looking for, despite their obvious talent. They will be forever in the transfer portal, looking for a place where whatever they do have, and can actually do align in such a way that they can get on the field. That usually means a lower level of play, such as FCS schools.

For those lucky enough to hook on with a school at a higher level, it doesn't mean a chance at playing time, let alone stardom. For every Jaylen Warren that transfers to Oklahoma State and stars, you get, for instance, Cam Lampkin. He got lucky hooking on with Washington State after committing to several other schools after leaving here, but he's not doing much-- 8 games, 4 tackles. Better or worse off? Zahodri Jackson wound up at North Texas, but by looking at their stats, he's not playing any more than he did here. Eleylon Noa isn't doing anything at Boise State. 31 carries for 123 yards. So a quarter of the carries and yards he had last year.

That grass elsewhere is not always greener. Look at the guys who have entered the portal this year from our team-- they're guys who entered the portal to come here, searching for that elusive "bigger role." They haven't been able to find it. I'm guessing their searching has nothing to do with talent. Maybe it it really has to do with a lack of heart. JMHO.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post:
ShowMeAggie



apo
Posts: 140
Joined: January 4th, 2020, 11:48 pm
Has thanked: 325 times
Been thanked: 114 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by apo » November 16th, 2022, 12:24 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
November 16th, 2022, 8:56 am
Players leave for a variety of reasons. Anderson said Monday it's is usually always about playing time.

I think in Hall's case he came out here for his Senior season thinking he was guaranteed a starting role, which he initially had. But he didn't count on Ike Larsen simply becoming a better player than him. Now you have Larsen and Reynolds starting at safety and Hall is upset about. The answer: play better.

Xavier Williams was non factor all spring, they did everything they could to try and get him meaningful touches. But he couldn't beat out the guy in front of him, the same as at Alabama. Why? Don't know. But he's not playing, so he wants to go somewhere else . . . where I'm betting the same thing will happen again.

With most of these players who transfer, it's about playing time. But it goes deeper. In many cases their practice habits, and "motor" just don't match up with what the coaches are looking for, despite their obvious talent. They will be forever in the transfer portal, looking for a place where whatever they do have, and can actually do align in such a way that they can get on the field. That usually means a lower level of play, such as FCS schools.

For those lucky enough to hook on with a school at a higher level, it doesn't mean a chance at playing time, let alone stardom. For every Jaylen Warren that transfers to Oklahoma State and stars, you get, for instance, Cam Lampkin. He got lucky hooking on with Washington State after committing to several other schools after leaving here, but he's not doing much-- 8 games, 4 tackles. Better or worse off? Zahodri Jackson wound up at North Texas, but by looking at their stats, he's not playing any more than he did here. Eleylon Noa isn't doing anything at Boise State. 31 carries for 123 yards. So a quarter of the carries and yards he had last year.

That grass elsewhere is not always greener. Look at the guys who have entered the portal this year from our team-- they're guys who entered the portal to come here, searching for that elusive "bigger role." They haven't been able to find it. I'm guessing their searching has nothing to do with talent. Maybe it it really has to do with a lack of heart. JMHO.
While I agree that generally the biggest factor is playing time. There’s a lot of unseen factors we don’t see that can be paired with that. I’d be hesitant to make a “lack of heart” a generalized reason for transferring. Some people couple their lack of playing time with family issues that require a closer move. Also you may feel that your lack of playing is also due to development and you feel like a different coach will develop or scheme you better.
And, as we’ve seen with this coaching staff, loyalty and favoritism by the coaching staff can always be a major role.

I’d just hate to over generalize a transferring reason to a “lack of heart” when all we see is a tiny piece of the puzzle and most of these guys are far more invested in their own success than we will be. It’s their lives/livelihoods on the line, compared to our fan-ship.

…although that’s not to say there are some (likely few) who lack heart.



cval
Posts: 1345
Joined: December 10th, 2010, 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 210 times
Been thanked: 234 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by cval » November 16th, 2022, 12:33 pm

I blame the transfer portal... It was certainly too hard to get out of a situation you didn't like before, but the pendulum has swung so far that every guy thinks he would be better off if he could just go somewhere where he was more appreciated.

Nobody says, "I just need to work harder to make it work." It's the coaches fault for not using them enough, or not using them right.
These users thanked the author cval for the post:
aggies22



apo
Posts: 140
Joined: January 4th, 2020, 11:48 pm
Has thanked: 325 times
Been thanked: 114 times

Re: Xavier Williams No Longer on Roster

Post by apo » November 16th, 2022, 12:49 pm

Unless you feel like working hard in the same setting won’t bring the same results as working hard in a new setting.

A lot of times we come down hard on players for transferring but I’ve switched jobs because I felt management was limiting my potential. I worked hard but that hard work wasn’t being rewarded.

I understand how transferring in the middle of the season is problem. You owe your team everything you’ve got for a whole season but they don’t owe us anything beyond that season. I’d love for great people to stay but at the end of the day, people need to do what’s best for them.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic