open receivers

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

open receivers

Post by tipitup » September 26th, 2022, 9:18 am

I have a few questions but this one is bugging me more than the rest. Turbo made a bunch of comments about having our wideouts so far out that the defender only has to defend going inside. They are using the sidelines as the second defender, interesting thought. I've heard that as a basketball reference more. Whether that is true or not, my main question is how come our receivers can't get open? There were a couple of non-contested catches on saturday, but everything else was contested. Is that receivers fault? coaches fault? scheme fault? I know we have talked about our great receiving core from last year, and this years is not living up to the expectations, but are they really? if every option is taken away from a defensive standpoint, would it matter who the receiver is? I ask that question, because UNLV had receivers wide open all night long!!! Now does that get into our defense sucks more covering receivers than our opponents, or are their receivers outer worldly and just disappear to reappear in an open space?

I'm just not getting it!!!

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: open receivers

Post by aggies22 » September 26th, 2022, 9:22 am

tipitup wrote:
September 26th, 2022, 9:18 am
I have a few questions but this one is bugging me more than the rest. Turbo made a bunch of comments about having our wideouts so far out that the defender only has to defend going inside. They are using the sidelines as the second defender, interesting thought. I've heard that as a basketball reference more. Whether that is true or not, my main question is how come our receivers can't get open? There were a couple of non-contested catches on saturday, but everything else was contested. Is that receivers fault? coaches fault? scheme fault? I know we have talked about our great receiving core from last year, and this years is not living up to the expectations, but are they really? if every option is taken away from a defensive standpoint, would it matter who the receiver is? I ask that question, because UNLV had receivers wide open all night long!!! Now does that get into our defense sucks more covering receivers than our opponents, or are their receivers outer worldly and just disappear to reappear in an open space?

I'm just not getting it!!!
Our scheme and play-calling are awful right now.

dogie

Post by dogie » September 26th, 2022, 9:34 am

There have been a large number of sideline passes this year that have been uncatchable because they are overthrown out of bounds. And those passes needed to be perfectly placed and a spectacular catch needed to be made in close coverage. Those are about 1/3 of the pass plays and they have very little chance of success.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 26th, 2022, 9:46 am

Someone much smarter than me pointed this out. We don't use the middle of the field and the opponents know this and they only have to defend a limited number of routes. Watch our receivers do a double move to go deep; twice in the UNLV game not only does the defensive back not bite, but he turns and runs directly to the spot the WR is trying to get to.

Either they have ESP, or Tucker only calls two pass routes - short hitch, and a go route.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » September 26th, 2022, 9:47 am

The philosophy is that the wide receiver splits forces the defense to defend the entire width of the field - sideline to sideline. This formation pulls the cornerbacks and, sometimes the safeties, way out wide where they can't blitz and they have to come a long way to help in the running plays.

It has some merit.

The thing I don't like is when we try to throw the wide receiver screens in this formation. The quarterback has to throw the ball 25 - 30 yards laterally to get to the reciever. That is s long time for the ball to be in the air. And that is a long time for a receiver to have to sustain a block- and must receivers aren't very good blockers. The defense had far too much time to react and stuff the play for minimal gain.

The other point you brought up, as noted by Turbin, is also true. There is not much room in the sideline side of the receiver to place a ball.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 26th, 2022, 9:53 am

I keep hearing the comment repeated that "receivers aren't getting open or separation" and I think it's bogus.

The scheme for route running isn't good. We aren't really using the middle of the field or any misdirection. And if Logan Bonner for once would stare down a receiver, and then turn and throw away from where he was staring, I think he would find that guys are wide open.

Bonner's timing has also been off. Guys come open but he misses them.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 3):
Aggie84025Madmartiganaggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 26th, 2022, 10:51 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
September 26th, 2022, 9:53 am
I keep hearing the comment repeated that "receivers aren't getting open or separation" and I think it's bogus.

The scheme for route running isn't good. We aren't really using the middle of the field or any misdirection. And if Logan Bonner for once would stare down a receiver, and then turn and throw away from where he was staring, I think he would find that guys are wide open.

Bonner's timing is off why? Just how much of fall camp did he miss? Inquiring minds want to know.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 26th, 2022, 10:55 am

aggies22 wrote:
September 26th, 2022, 10:51 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Bonner's timing is off why? Just how much of fall camp did he miss? Inquiring minds want to know.
But Blake said he completely beat out Cooper in fall camp so he had to have played almost all of it. :stirpot:

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » September 26th, 2022, 11:04 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:

All those things are true.

The only reason we were even competitive v Vegas is that Van Leeuwen didn't play. Vaughn and NyNy are the only WR's I've seen who can separate other than Cobb. Bonner has a hard time connecting with them. Last week it was them dropping passes. This week it was Bonner missing them. Teams simply double team Cobb and our passing game goes away. I said last week that Vaughn and NyNy as second stringers would have an easier time catching balls from the second string QB. I still believe that. And, Legas will have an easier time throwing passes to the 2nd string WR's because he's more familiar (timing) with them.

Bottom line for me. BA makes a change at QB before half v Weber and we win that game. Same with Vegas. Legas plays more than half of that game and we win.

Now we have the stench? I'll be looking for moral victories again.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
Aggie84025

Locked Previous topicNext topic