12 Team CFP starting in 2026

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
TrueBlueFan

12 Team CFP starting in 2026

Post by TrueBlueFan » September 2nd, 2022, 1:16 pm

These users thanked the author TrueBlueFan for the post:
aggies22

Go Grizzlies, Jazz, Real SL, Seahawks, USA! Go Aggies!

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Re: 12 Team CFP starting in 2026

Post by BigBlueDart » September 2nd, 2022, 1:23 pm

Need more details, such as whether there will be autobids based on conference, and whether G5 has enough accessibility. But I've been an advocate of a 12-team playoff for some time.
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post:
aggies22

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » September 2nd, 2022, 1:24 pm

It's about time. But my guess is that the g5 teams will not be included.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 2nd, 2022, 1:25 pm

It sounds like it would be the 6th highest rated conference champions and then 6 at large.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
aggies22

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » September 2nd, 2022, 1:31 pm

@BigBlueDart beat me to it. Devil's in the details. here's an article with a few more details: https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -possible/

it is notable that the vote to move forward was a vote to approve expansion as a concept...it's still up to the board to decide exactly how to pull it off. We (meaning USU, but also the CFB-loving world) might still get screwed in this.

It would appear that the most likely format will be the six most highly ranked conference champions + 6 at-large teams. In theory this gives USU (and other 'little guys') more access. In practice....well, we'll see.

As a general concept, I think we should be thrilled about this move. But we'll see how they move things forward, and if the little guy gets squeezed out in the end...

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 2nd, 2022, 1:41 pm

ShowMeAggie wrote:
September 2nd, 2022, 1:31 pm
@BigBlueDart beat me to it. Devil's in the details. here's an article with a few more details: https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -possible/

it is notable that the vote to move forward was a vote to approve expansion as a concept...it's still up to the board to decide exactly how to pull it off. We (meaning USU, but also the CFB-loving world) might still get screwed in this.

It would appear that the most likely format will be the six most highly ranked conference champions + 6 at-large teams. In theory this gives USU (and other 'little guys') more access. In practice....well, we'll see.

As a general concept, I think we should be thrilled about this move. But we'll see how they move things forward, and if the little guy gets squeezed out in the end...
There will be a lot of moving parts especially with conference realignment. With Cincy, UCF and Houston leaving the AAC it clearly puts the MWC as the lead in the non-power conference. There should be good opportunities for the MWC to have a team in the playoff under the propsed scenario a good amount of years.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » September 2nd, 2022, 1:50 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
September 2nd, 2022, 1:41 pm
ShowMeAggie wrote:

There will be a lot of moving parts especially with conference realignment. With Cincy, UCF and Houston leaving the AAC it clearly puts the MWC as the lead in the non-power conference. There should be good opportunities for the MWC to have a team in the playoff under the propsed scenario a good amount of years.
Power conference is not an official designation, so I would argue that we're down to three power conferences- ACC, SEC, and Big Ten. That makes the MWC vying for second place; I think the big 12 is ahead (for now), and the PAC 12 is our competition. This is especially true if the PAC loses Oregon. Then their best team is Utah (?), who is better known for their mountain west exploits than anything they've done in the PAC. I would suspect they accept the top 4 conference champs and have eight at large.

Aggies All the Way!

SLB

Post by SLB » September 2nd, 2022, 2:01 pm

MWC just got paid a ton of money that they didn’t have before. Seriously, MWC are the biggest winners in this. BA and his staff should stay because money is coming our way.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » September 2nd, 2022, 2:02 pm

This is very very very good news. Especially for the MWC being in a unique spot as the clear best G5 conference. Conference championships will now mean everything (LA Bowl was cool too, don't get me wrong), but it will keep fan bases engaged throughout the year and will make conference championship weekend that much more dramatic.

The little guy will still get screwed in a similar way that mid and low majors get screwed in the NCAA tournament. Every year there are small conference schools who find themselves on the wrong side of the bubble while other big name schools with sub .500 conference records get in. Same thing here. I'm sure there will be a scenario in the future where a MWC team is undefeated leading into the conference championship game, loses, and gets left out while 8-4 SEC/Big Ten teams take up the at-large spots.

It won't be perfect. But there's now a path that wasn't there before.

SLB

Post by SLB » September 2nd, 2022, 2:15 pm

Thank you Oklahoma and Texas and the Big 12

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » September 2nd, 2022, 2:17 pm

For fun I took a look at who would be in the playoffs last year based on the CFB playoff final rankings. Auto-bids: Alabama, Michigan, Cincinnati, Baylor, Utah and Pittsburgh. At-large: Georgia, Notre Dame, Ohio state, ole miss, Oklahoma state, Michigan state.

I think that’s a pretty good playoff.

The problem I see is that G5 teams still need help to get into the playoffs. Let’s suppose we were undefeated last year. Would that be enough to propel us into the 6th auto-bid spot? Maybe. A win over #13 YBU would definitely be a signature win (though I don’t see them finishing top 15 in this scenario). Beating Boise would help, but that would mean they would finish 6-6 so not an incredibly high quality win. I don’t see it being enough to propel us past Louisiana and Pittsburg. Especially since the powers to be probably won’t want two G5 champions.

In my opinion any undefeated team should have a path to the championship.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » September 2nd, 2022, 2:28 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
September 2nd, 2022, 1:50 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
ShowMeAggie wrote:

Power conference is not an official designation, so I would argue that we're down to three power conferences- ACC, SEC, and Big Ten. That makes the MWC vying for second place; I think the big 12 is ahead (for now), and the PAC 12 is our competition. This is especially true if the PAC loses Oregon. Then their best team is Utah (?), who is better known for their mountain west exploits than anything they've done in the PAC. I would suspect they accept the top 4 conference champs and have eight at large.
Power Conference or G5 conference doesn't matter anymore. The real beneficiaries of this new decision is the SEC and the BIG Ten. They will absolutely dominate the number of teams included in the playoff and will pull that much more cash into their accounts. The ACC, PAC and Big 12 will get their champion in and that's it. The MWC should theoretically be the next one included, but that's not at all a guarantee.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » September 2nd, 2022, 2:34 pm

Slim80 wrote:
September 2nd, 2022, 2:28 pm
dirtnsnow wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
ShowMeAggie wrote:

Power Conference or G5 conference doesn't matter anymore. The real beneficiaries of this new decision is the SEC and the BIG Ten. They will absolutely dominate the number of teams included in the playoff and will pull that much more cash into their accounts. The ACC, PAC and Big 12 will get their champion in and that's it. The MWC should theoretically be the next one included, but that's not at all a guarantee.
We're saying a lot of the same things, I just disagree that the big 12 and PAC have enough pull to get a guaranteed spot. The fewer guaranteed spots there are, the more sec and big 10 teams can get in. Hence the 4 champs- ACC, SEC, Big 10, and the highest rated outside of those three. Maybe you'll see a PAC or big 12 team get in as an at large, but I kinda doubt it if Oregon leaves. My prediction is that 3 additional SEC and Big 10 teams, and two more ACC will be the norm with slight variations.

Aggies All the Way!

SLB

Post by SLB » September 2nd, 2022, 2:41 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
September 2nd, 2022, 2:34 pm
Slim80 wrote:
September 2nd, 2022, 2:28 pm
dirtnsnow wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
ShowMeAggie wrote:

We're saying a lot of the same things, I just disagree that the big 12 and PAC have enough pull to get a guaranteed spot. The fewer guaranteed spots there are, the more sec and big 10 teams can get in. Hence the 4 champs- ACC, SEC, Big 10, and the highest rated outside of those three. Maybe you'll see a PAC or big 12 team get in as an at large, but I kinda doubt it if Oregon leaves. My prediction is that 3 additional SEC and Big 10 teams, and two more ACC will be the norm with slight variations.
There is literally only 6 conferences to consider in this playoff system: SEC, Big 10, Big 12, ACC, PAC 10, and MWC. The other 4 conferences are completely toast.
AAC has Tulsa, SMU, Tulane, USF, Temple, East Carolina, Memphis, and Navy as their whole conference since they lost Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, and UConn.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » September 2nd, 2022, 2:43 pm

The G5 will always get screwed out of it if there's a way to do it. That has been the way it has been done since the beginning. They will make it look like they willingly invited somebody from the G5, and then they will make sure they are pitted against the Top Seed in the first round. Yes we were in, but it was virtually impossible to advance without a "Hoosiers" kind of miracle.

And, by the way, don't just summarily dismiss the Sun Belt. They are in the south, where all the decisions are made. Most of the country hears about them in real time-- we're not discussed until the next day due to playing in the Mountain and Pacific time zones. Just sayin.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post:
Full

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » September 2nd, 2022, 2:46 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
September 2nd, 2022, 2:43 pm
The G5 will always get screwed out of it if there's a way to do it. That has been the way it has been done since the beginning. They will make it look like they willingly invited somebody from the G5, and then they will make sure they are pitted against the Top Seed in the first round. Yes we were in, but it was virtually impossible to advance without a "Hoosiers" kind of miracle.
I mean if we want to get the big dance, we need to take on the big lady (Alabama).

I don't have expectations we should get an invite to the championship then play the softest team available
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post:
88USUAggie

Not sent from Tapatalk

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » September 2nd, 2022, 2:49 pm

It gives us access at least. It appears that it will include the 6 highest-ranked conference champions. That means that as constructed today, a G-5 conference champion would be included. There are a lot of years that will be the MWC champ, especially with the AAC being gutted by the Big 12.

This likely helps the PAC-10(?) and the MWC. It likely stablizes the MWC further because it is probably easier for current MWC schools to qualify as the 6th highest rated conference champion than try to win a bigger conference championship . However, it also wouldn't shock me to see a few PAC schools jump to bigger conferences resulting in some sort of a PAC/MWC merger at some point.

I view this as a net positive for Utah State and the MWC.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
SLB

Formerly TulsAGGIE

SLB

Post by SLB » September 2nd, 2022, 2:54 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
September 2nd, 2022, 2:49 pm
It gives us access at least. It appears that it will include the 6 highest-ranked conference champions. That means that as constructed today, a G-5 conference champion would be included. There are a lot of years that will be the MWC champ, especially with the AAC being gutted by the Big 12.

This likely helps the PAC-10(?) and the MWC. It likely stablizes the MWC further because it is probably easier for current MWC schools to qualify as the 6th highest rated conference champion than try to win a bigger conference championship . However, it also wouldn't shock me to see a few PAC schools jump to bigger conferences resulting in some sort of a PAC/MWC merger at some point.

Not just that, we can pay more money for coaches to stay. MWC needs to see what more TV that we can get like Apple TV since we are becoming that 6th conference starting 2022 or 2023 depending on this season.

88USUAggie

Post by 88USUAggie » September 2nd, 2022, 3:08 pm

trevordude wrote:
September 2nd, 2022, 2:46 pm
AggiesForever wrote:
I mean if we want to get the big dance, we need to take on the big lady (Alabama).

I don't have expectations we should get an invite to the championship then play the softest team available
This is the truth...this all comes down to money. The have's will not be sharing with the have-nots out of the goodness of their hearts...or even because it's the "fair" thing to do. The only way a team like USU gets invited is they beat a team that is a playoff caliber team. As for this game tomorrow...from what I've seen from this coach - I can guarantee he will have every member of the team believing they can and will win the game. That's what leaders do...they help people accomplish things they never thought they could do. I know one thing is for sure...this team will not give up.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » September 2nd, 2022, 3:18 pm

AggiesForever wrote:

And, by the way, don't just summarily dismiss the Sun Belt. They are in the south, where all the decisions are made. Most of the country hears about them in real time-- we're not discussed until the next day due to playing in the Mountain and Pacific time zones. Just sayin.
Reading at what was released, the current plan is top 4 seeds get a bye. So the G5 winner would be slotted in a matchup anywhere between 5-12. Not bad honestly. I wouldn’t expect a first round matchup of Bama vs MWC on opening week of the playoffs with how this is set up.

Bybs25

Post by Bybs25 » September 2nd, 2022, 4:26 pm

I can get on board with this for now. Do I still believe that every conference champ should go....absolutely but at least now they are guaranteeing 6 conferences and then 6 at large bids. Theoretical you should have the top ten in and I'm okay with that.

It's progress

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » September 2nd, 2022, 4:49 pm

The Big 10, SEC and Notre Dame will makeup the 6 at-large bids.....Mark my words on that. The ACC, PAC and Big 12 will not have anything more than a conference champ in that playoff. While this is definitely a good thing for USU and the MWC, it is an absolute money grubbing haul on the part of the Big 10 and SEC. They are the real winners in this deal.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 2nd, 2022, 5:20 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
September 2nd, 2022, 2:49 pm

I look at this as a positive move that’ll benefit the mwc

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 2nd, 2022, 5:21 pm

SwaggieAggie wrote:
September 2nd, 2022, 3:18 pm
AggiesForever wrote:

Reading at what was released, the current plan is top 4 seeds get a bye. So the G5 winner would be slotted in a matchup anywhere between 5-12. Not bad honestly. I wouldn’t expect a first round matchup of Bama vs MWC on opening week of the playoffs with how this is set up.
This. Teams 5-12 are completely different than the top 1-2.

Look at all the blow outs in the semifinals in recent years. That’s team 3-4.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » September 2nd, 2022, 5:54 pm

maybe this has been discussed before, but is it (will it be):
  1. the champions of the six highest ranked conferences, or
  2. the six highest ranked teams from among the ten (?) conference champions, or
  3. other?
might make a big difference in who actually has access in the end?

Increased access is better than no access, but financially this may end up being a net negative for the little guys. If the purported $600M increase in CFP Playoff value goes all to the 4 (?) major conferences, with only crumbs trickling down to the smaller conferences, it may be the final nail in the coffin for college football as we know it?

For now, though (financial uncertainties aside)... IF (big IF) it plays out this way (the 6+6 format especially, but also to a lesser degree the 4+8 format), I still see it as a win for USU specifically, and for the little guys in general.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » September 2nd, 2022, 7:38 pm

slcagg wrote:
September 2nd, 2022, 5:21 pm
SwaggieAggie wrote:
September 2nd, 2022, 3:18 pm
AggiesForever wrote:

This. Teams 5-12 are completely different than the top 1-2.

Look at all the blow outs in the semifinals in recent years. That’s team 3-4.
My question is how they’re going to handle seeding and home field for the first round games. Will it be NFL style where division (in this case conference) winners automatically fill in the top seeds 1-6 and get home field? That would be awesome. But not so sure if the NCAA would be high on having an 11-seeded Michigan or Florida play in Logan or Boise for a playoff game.

Locked Previous topicNext topic