We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB
Posts: 8099
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 395 times
Been thanked: 951 times

We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

Post by SLB » August 9th, 2022, 2:32 pm

According to Blake Anderson, Weylin Lapuaho might be starting on the OL. Keep in mind unlike the past, we recruited a number of higher graded OL in this past recruiting cycle.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post (total 2):
aggies22USU78



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 14920
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 13824 times
Been thanked: 8568 times
Contact:

Re: We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

Post by aggies22 » August 9th, 2022, 3:40 pm

SLB wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 2:32 pm
According to Blake Anderson, Weylin Lapuaho might be starting on the OL. Keep in mind unlike the past, we recruited a number of higher graded OL in this past recruiting cycle.
If he performs well this Saturday, Weylin will cement his spot in the starting lineup.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
3rdGenAggie



Aggie84025
Posts: 6201
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 842 times
Been thanked: 2406 times

Re: We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

Post by Aggie84025 » August 9th, 2022, 3:45 pm

Should i be excited or scared that a true freshman would be starting on game 1? I assume he would start at a guard spot, is that correct?



SLB
Posts: 8099
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 395 times
Been thanked: 951 times

Re: We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

Post by SLB » August 9th, 2022, 3:51 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 3:40 pm
SLB wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 2:32 pm
According to Blake Anderson, Weylin Lapuaho might be starting on the OL. Keep in mind unlike the past, we recruited a number of higher graded OL in this past recruiting cycle.
If he performs well this Saturday, Weylin will cement his spot in the starting lineup.
It is funny that I mentioned during the spring that this player was a player that caught my attention at getting the 2 spot at the time.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
aggies22



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 14920
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 13824 times
Been thanked: 8568 times
Contact:

Re: We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

Post by aggies22 » August 9th, 2022, 3:58 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 3:45 pm
Should i be excited or scared that a true freshman would be starting on game 1? I assume he would start at a guard spot, is that correct?
Weylin is going to be very, very good.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025osuaggie



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 14920
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 13824 times
Been thanked: 8568 times
Contact:

Re: We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

Post by aggies22 » August 9th, 2022, 4:02 pm

SLB wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 3:51 pm
aggies22 wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 3:40 pm
SLB wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 2:32 pm
According to Blake Anderson, Weylin Lapuaho might be starting on the OL. Keep in mind unlike the past, we recruited a number of higher graded OL in this past recruiting cycle.
If he performs well this Saturday, Weylin will cement his spot in the starting lineup.
It is funny that I mentioned during the spring that this player was a player that caught my attention at getting the 2 spot at the time.
Funnier than when I wrote this and published this on March 15th?

https://bigblueusuaggienews.com/2022/03 ... eft-guard/
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 5):
ratofallaggiesRoy McAvoySLBFloridaAggie13MrBiggle



User avatar
GeoAg
Moderator
Posts: 7914
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:09 am
Has thanked: 176 times
Been thanked: 941 times

Re: We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

Post by GeoAg » August 9th, 2022, 4:33 pm

Excited for Lapuaho. Feel a personal connection as his dad and I played together back in the day at Granger High. He's going to be a good one boys!
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 4):
aggies22Aggie84025FloridaAggie13Bluestar


"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

slcagg
Posts: 11693
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 3266 times
Been thanked: 2716 times

Re: We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

Post by slcagg » August 9th, 2022, 4:52 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 3:58 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 3:45 pm
Should i be excited or scared that a true freshman would be starting on game 1? I assume he would start at a guard spot, is that correct?
Weylin is going to be very, very good.
Let’s hope it is in aggie blue for 4 years until he is drafted.

This whole nil/transfer deal is concerning to me on a guy like this.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
vegasaggie



SLB
Posts: 8099
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 395 times
Been thanked: 951 times

Re: We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

Post by SLB » August 9th, 2022, 5:05 pm

Beating pretty good upperclassmen sounds like a NFL potential type of deal. Facing Alabama early on will help to get noticed by NFL scouts.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
aggies22



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 14920
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 13824 times
Been thanked: 8568 times
Contact:

Re: We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

Post by aggies22 » August 9th, 2022, 5:08 pm

slcagg wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 4:52 pm
aggies22 wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 3:58 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 3:45 pm
Should i be excited or scared that a true freshman would be starting on game 1? I assume he would start at a guard spot, is that correct?
Weylin is going to be very, very good.
Let’s hope it is in aggie blue for 4 years until he is drafted.

This whole nil/transfer deal is concerning to me on a guy like this.
The great thing about most Polynesian players, is they remain very loyal to the school that took the chance to bring them to campus in the first place.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
vegasaggieslcaggIdaAg93valleyaggie21



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 14920
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 13824 times
Been thanked: 8568 times
Contact:

Re: We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

Post by aggies22 » August 9th, 2022, 5:14 pm

SLB wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 5:05 pm
Beating pretty good upperclassmen sounds like a NFL potential type of deal. Facing Alabama early on will help to get noticed by NFL scouts.
I agree. If he plays well or at least holds his own, it could definitely put him on the radar of NFL teams.



GrandPoubah
Posts: 165
Joined: November 17th, 2019, 3:45 pm
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 71 times

Re: We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

Post by GrandPoubah » August 9th, 2022, 5:33 pm

SLB wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 5:05 pm
Beating pretty good upperclassmen sounds like a NFL potential type of deal. Facing Alabama early on will help to get noticed by NFL scouts.
No arguing about that comment that "beating pretty good upperclassmen sounds like NFL potential". However, the issue is that we don't have any upperclassmen at the position. He is ahead of two other freshman from what I see on the depth chart.

While I think he is solid, I am excited to see what happens when the new guys get reps. From what I understand, the kid from SUU isn't in camp yet.
These users thanked the author GrandPoubah for the post:
BustaMcNutt



Aggie84025
Posts: 6201
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 842 times
Been thanked: 2406 times

Re: We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

Post by Aggie84025 » August 9th, 2022, 5:57 pm

When was the last time we had a true freshman start game 1 on the O-line?



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 12671
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 4674 times
Been thanked: 1382 times

Re: We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

Post by USU78 » August 9th, 2022, 6:09 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 5:57 pm
When was the last time we had a true freshman start game 1 on the O-line?
#72


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 3296
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has thanked: 166 times
Been thanked: 1125 times

Re: We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 9th, 2022, 6:11 pm

USU78 wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 6:09 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 5:57 pm
When was the last time we had a true freshman start game 1 on the O-line?
#72
Edwards did start Game 1, but he was a redshirt freshman.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 2):
USU78aggies22


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

LarryTheAggie
Posts: 1169
Joined: July 4th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Location: Washington DC
Has thanked: 480 times
Been thanked: 680 times

Re: We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

Post by LarryTheAggie » August 9th, 2022, 6:14 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 5:57 pm
When was the last time we had a true freshman start game 1 on the O-line?
Tyler Larsen?
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
aggies22



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 14920
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 13824 times
Been thanked: 8568 times
Contact:

Re: We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

Post by aggies22 » August 9th, 2022, 6:15 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 6:11 pm
USU78 wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 6:09 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 5:57 pm
When was the last time we had a true freshman start game 1 on the O-line?
#72
Edwards did start Game 1, but he was a redshirt freshman.
Beat me to it but still dead on.



User avatar
GeoAg
Moderator
Posts: 7914
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:09 am
Has thanked: 176 times
Been thanked: 941 times

Re: We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

Post by GeoAg » August 9th, 2022, 6:32 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 6:14 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 5:57 pm
When was the last time we had a true freshman start game 1 on the O-line?
Tyler Larsen?
When he started against Oklahoma for the first time in 2010 it was as a RS Frosh. He started a streak of 52 straight starts with that game.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 3):
FloridaAggie13IdaAg93aggies22


"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Agzrule
Posts: 990
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:16 am
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 133 times

Re: We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

Post by Agzrule » August 9th, 2022, 6:36 pm

Donald Penn



FloridaAggie13
Posts: 18174
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 3658 times
Been thanked: 1330 times

Re: We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

Post by FloridaAggie13 » August 9th, 2022, 8:00 pm

GeoAg wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 6:32 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 6:14 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 5:57 pm
When was the last time we had a true freshman start game 1 on the O-line?
Tyler Larsen?
When he started against Oklahoma for the first time in 2010 it was as a RS Frosh. He started a streak of 52 straight starts with that game.
A longtime friend of mine, and an Aggie himself, coached Tyler at the level just under HS. Said he was noticeably good and always stood out even as a twelve-year-old.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
aggies22



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 14920
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 13824 times
Been thanked: 8568 times
Contact:

Re: We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

Post by aggies22 » August 9th, 2022, 11:30 pm

Agzrule wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 6:36 pm
Donald Penn
I'm pretty sure Don Penn redshirted as well.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 14920
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 13824 times
Been thanked: 8568 times
Contact:

Re: We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

Post by aggies22 » August 10th, 2022, 4:28 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 5:57 pm
When was the last time we had a true freshman start game 1 on the O-line?
Brandon Dyson? I've been digging and that's the best I can do.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
slcaggAggie84025



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 17222
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 727 times
Been thanked: 1345 times

Re: We might have a true freshmen starting on the OL

Post by brownjeans » August 10th, 2022, 11:19 am

Who was the Johnson(?) dude we had playing left tackle several years ago? Did he start as a true freshman?

Edit later: Spencer (found him: https://utahstateaggies.com/sports/foot ... hnson/7176)

looks like he took a RS year.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
aggies22



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic