It is interesting looking at 2024 and beyond

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 10269
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 400 times
Been thanked: 941 times

Re: It is interesting looking at 2024 and beyond

Post by 2004AG » August 10th, 2022, 6:13 pm

slcagg wrote:
2004AG wrote:
August 10th, 2022, 4:56 pm
slcagg wrote:
August 10th, 2022, 4:48 pm
2004AG wrote:
August 10th, 2022, 3:52 pm
SwaggieAggie wrote:
August 10th, 2022, 3:42 pm
GeoAg wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 4:40 pm
Full wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 4:31 pm
aggies22 wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 3:42 pm
Full wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 2:53 pm
Coloraggie wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 1:33 pm
I'm not sure the Michigan State game killed excitement, i think it built excitement to say we competed with a top tier BIG team on the road. The blowouts probably killed excitement.

Unfortunately, these games are money games to pay the bills, not because we think we are competitive. Losing BYU on the schedule only makes the money situation worse so I don't see any way that we drop the money games anytime in the near future.
Ok, even if it was a moral victory, a win over Northern Illinois instead of a loss to Michigan State and an 11-0 start vs 10-1 start is a lot more exciting. I’m not saying I don’t recognize the money, but only New Mexico, San Jose, Nevada and UNLV play guarantee games every year. It was 2009 when we began with the current philosophy, and things have changed since then.
If we don't want to play guarantee games, then more season tickets need to be sold and total donations have to go WAY up.
I wasn’t suggesting going from annual guarantee games to zero, but reducing the number. Possibly change to every third year don’t play one. Colorado State, Wyoming, Fresno, and Hawaii don’t play them every year. Further for the 2009-2010 season USU had $1.4 million in Ticket Sales compared to $2.6 in 2019-2020 (not much effect from Covid). Total revenues went from $19 million to $39 million. I read media rights are expected to go from $1.1 million to $4 million. I know my post on a message board won’t change anything, but it seems like conditions changed enough to look at the possibility. Also, 2021 was a season without a guarantee game. It must be possible.
It isn't possible to balance the budget and not play the guarantee. Every year we balance close to zero WITH a guarantee game. Washington State better have paid us, but they may not have since COVID was out of their control. Even with that costs are going up and our revenues don't put us ahead. We are catching up.

I think the guarantee games are a must. The one change I would like to see is more against the middle and lower tier teams instead of the likes of LSU and Alabama. I like Michigan State and look forward to Iowa next year. No problem with playing those at all.
THIS. Exactly how I feel. I do enjoy the P5 games in September, just wish it was more matchups like that. Preferably Pac-12 and Big 12 teams, but I'm cool with teams like Iowa.

Alabama wins it's playoff games by 30+ points. And those are top 4 teams.. This Aggie team could very well be a 10-win and top 25 team again and repeat as conference champions, but yet we have to see them lose by 45 on week 1. That kinda sucks as a fan. But hey, $1.9 million is $1.9 million. I'd take that check too if I was Hartwell so I get it.
Yeah, that's been my complaint. Alabama beats other SEC teams by 30-40 points. Schedule anybody but Alabama.
Well said by my fellow president of the Nick saban fan club
You'll be happy to know I will be in attendance at the Alabama game. My arm was twisted, and I'm not happy about it, but I will be there.
Why would you not be happy?

Btw make sure to get some dreamland bbq. You’ll thank me later.

Because I take no joy in watching my beloved Aggies lose 75-0.

Is Dreamland BBQ in Tuscaloosa ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



slcagg
Posts: 11693
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 3266 times
Been thanked: 2716 times

Re: It is interesting looking at 2024 and beyond

Post by slcagg » August 10th, 2022, 7:28 pm

2004AG wrote:
August 10th, 2022, 6:13 pm
slcagg wrote:
2004AG wrote:
August 10th, 2022, 4:56 pm
slcagg wrote:
August 10th, 2022, 4:48 pm
2004AG wrote:
August 10th, 2022, 3:52 pm
SwaggieAggie wrote:
August 10th, 2022, 3:42 pm
GeoAg wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 4:40 pm
Full wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 4:31 pm
aggies22 wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 3:42 pm
Full wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 2:53 pm
Coloraggie wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 1:33 pm
I'm not sure the Michigan State game killed excitement, i think it built excitement to say we competed with a top tier BIG team on the road. The blowouts probably killed excitement.

Unfortunately, these games are money games to pay the bills, not because we think we are competitive. Losing BYU on the schedule only makes the money situation worse so I don't see any way that we drop the money games anytime in the near future.
Ok, even if it was a moral victory, a win over Northern Illinois instead of a loss to Michigan State and an 11-0 start vs 10-1 start is a lot more exciting. I’m not saying I don’t recognize the money, but only New Mexico, San Jose, Nevada and UNLV play guarantee games every year. It was 2009 when we began with the current philosophy, and things have changed since then.
If we don't want to play guarantee games, then more season tickets need to be sold and total donations have to go WAY up.
I wasn’t suggesting going from annual guarantee games to zero, but reducing the number. Possibly change to every third year don’t play one. Colorado State, Wyoming, Fresno, and Hawaii don’t play them every year. Further for the 2009-2010 season USU had $1.4 million in Ticket Sales compared to $2.6 in 2019-2020 (not much effect from Covid). Total revenues went from $19 million to $39 million. I read media rights are expected to go from $1.1 million to $4 million. I know my post on a message board won’t change anything, but it seems like conditions changed enough to look at the possibility. Also, 2021 was a season without a guarantee game. It must be possible.
It isn't possible to balance the budget and not play the guarantee. Every year we balance close to zero WITH a guarantee game. Washington State better have paid us, but they may not have since COVID was out of their control. Even with that costs are going up and our revenues don't put us ahead. We are catching up.

I think the guarantee games are a must. The one change I would like to see is more against the middle and lower tier teams instead of the likes of LSU and Alabama. I like Michigan State and look forward to Iowa next year. No problem with playing those at all.
THIS. Exactly how I feel. I do enjoy the P5 games in September, just wish it was more matchups like that. Preferably Pac-12 and Big 12 teams, but I'm cool with teams like Iowa.

Alabama wins it's playoff games by 30+ points. And those are top 4 teams.. This Aggie team could very well be a 10-win and top 25 team again and repeat as conference champions, but yet we have to see them lose by 45 on week 1. That kinda sucks as a fan. But hey, $1.9 million is $1.9 million. I'd take that check too if I was Hartwell so I get it.
Yeah, that's been my complaint. Alabama beats other SEC teams by 30-40 points. Schedule anybody but Alabama.
Well said by my fellow president of the Nick saban fan club
You'll be happy to know I will be in attendance at the Alabama game. My arm was twisted, and I'm not happy about it, but I will be there.
Why would you not be happy?

Btw make sure to get some dreamland bbq. You’ll thank me later.

Because I take no joy in watching my beloved Aggies lose 75-0.

Is Dreamland BBQ in Tuscaloosa ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it is. @BiocatAg would have some suggestions as well.



User avatar
Naked Bull Rider
Posts: 555
Joined: July 10th, 2015, 11:15 am
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 150 times

Re: It is interesting looking at 2024 and beyond

Post by Naked Bull Rider » August 11th, 2022, 1:06 pm

Anyone know if beginning in 2024, the PAC 10 will shift to a round-robin schedule with 9 conference games and 3 non-conference matchups?

Barring expansion and a shift to round-robin play, I'm curious if Chris HIll / Mark Harlan took enough $hit for scheduling home & homes with WYO, NIU, SJSU, and SDSU that Harlan would finally consider adding Utah State back into the fold. I won't hold my breath, but one can hope.



User avatar
Full
Posts: 2175
Joined: April 27th, 2011, 11:07 am
Location: Davis County
Has thanked: 402 times
Been thanked: 228 times

Re: It is interesting looking at 2024 and beyond

Post by Full » August 11th, 2022, 1:49 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 1:06 pm
Anyone know if beginning in 2024, the PAC 10 will shift to a round-robin schedule with 9 conference games and 3 non-conference matchups?

Barring expansion and a shift to round-robin play, I'm curious if Chris HIll / Mark Harlan took enough $hit for scheduling home & homes with WYO, NIU, SJSU, and SDSU that Harlan would finally consider adding Utah State back into the fold. I won't hold my breath, but one can hope.
Utah isn’t catching anything for not scheduling USU in basketball. They will never play USU in football unless the legislature gives them another audit like they did when they dropped the non-state school down south.
These users thanked the author Full for the post (total 2):
Naked Bull Rideraggies22



User avatar
Naked Bull Rider
Posts: 555
Joined: July 10th, 2015, 11:15 am
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 150 times

Re: It is interesting looking at 2024 and beyond

Post by Naked Bull Rider » August 11th, 2022, 3:14 pm

Full wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 1:49 pm
Naked Bull Rider wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 1:06 pm
Anyone know if beginning in 2024, the PAC 10 will shift to a round-robin schedule with 9 conference games and 3 non-conference matchups?

Barring expansion and a shift to round-robin play, I'm curious if Chris HIll / Mark Harlan took enough $hit for scheduling home & homes with WYO, NIU, SJSU, and SDSU that Harlan would finally consider adding Utah State back into the fold. I won't hold my breath, but one can hope.
Utah isn’t catching anything for not scheduling USU in basketball. They will never play USU in football unless the legislature gives them another audit like they did when they dropped the non-state school down south.
Still crazy to me that the state was able to overreach like that and force Utah's hand.

I know the 1280 guys (namely Scotty & Hans) have mentioned several times on-air how little it makes sense for the Utes to play in Laramie or a Chicago suburb that's not home to North Western, in favor of scheduling an in-state school. The MWC matchups in California were "justified" by the increased exposure to California recruits, as if they weren't getting enough playing in the PAC 12 South.

Curious more than anything what the PAC scheduling will look like in a couple seasons without SC and UCLA. If they don't go round-robin, we might get more opportunities to play against that conference.



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 2677
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 998 times

Re: It is interesting looking at 2024 and beyond

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » August 11th, 2022, 3:18 pm

I’d prefer not to play Utah every year. Ideally I’d like to rotate back and forth between BYU and Utah assuming they were home/home but I think it’s a long shot we ever get that deal with Utah again. I could see BYU scheduling us periodically but time will tell.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
dirtnsnow



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 14920
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 13824 times
Been thanked: 8568 times
Contact:

Re: It is interesting looking at 2024 and beyond

Post by aggies22 » August 11th, 2022, 5:28 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 3:18 pm
I’d prefer not to play Utah every year. Ideally I’d like to rotate back and forth between BYU and Utah assuming they were home/home but I think it’s a long shot we ever get that deal with Utah again. I could see BYU scheduling us periodically but time will tell.
They can both eat $hit.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
sam tingey



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 2677
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 998 times

Re: It is interesting looking at 2024 and beyond

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » August 11th, 2022, 7:47 pm

aggies22 wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 3:18 pm
I’d prefer not to play Utah every year. Ideally I’d like to rotate back and forth between BYU and Utah assuming they were home/home but I think it’s a long shot we ever get that deal with Utah again. I could see BYU scheduling us periodically but time will tell.
They can both eat $hit.
Haha, I love your venomous hatred towards the two cowards down south! Maybe it wouldn’t be all bad if we don’t ever have to deal with the stench and the stenchier again.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
aggies22



User avatar
BearLakeMonster
Posts: 2103
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:45 am
Location: The Caribbean of the Rockies
Has thanked: 193 times
Been thanked: 176 times

Re: It is interesting looking at 2024 and beyond

Post by BearLakeMonster » August 11th, 2022, 7:56 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 7:47 pm
aggies22 wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 3:18 pm
I’d prefer not to play Utah every year. Ideally I’d like to rotate back and forth between BYU and Utah assuming they were home/home but I think it’s a long shot we ever get that deal with Utah again. I could see BYU scheduling us periodically but time will tell.
They can both eat $hit.
Haha, I love your venomous hatred towards the two cowards down south! Maybe it wouldn’t be all bad if we don’t ever have to deal with the stench and the stenchier again.
I used to really get sore about the other teams not wanting to play us.

But right now, I'm ok winning a conference championship and getting a top 25 ranking without them.
These users thanked the author BearLakeMonster for the post (total 2):
aggies22sam tingey


"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 14920
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 13824 times
Been thanked: 8568 times
Contact:

Re: It is interesting looking at 2024 and beyond

Post by aggies22 » August 11th, 2022, 9:07 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 7:47 pm
aggies22 wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 3:18 pm
I’d prefer not to play Utah every year. Ideally I’d like to rotate back and forth between BYU and Utah assuming they were home/home but I think it’s a long shot we ever get that deal with Utah again. I could see BYU scheduling us periodically but time will tell.
They can both eat $hit.
Haha, I love your venomous hatred towards the two cowards down south! Maybe it wouldn’t be all bad if we don’t ever have to deal with the stench and the stenchier again.
Now you're seeing the light my Aggie brother!



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 6003
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 293 times
Been thanked: 2810 times

Re: It is interesting looking at 2024 and beyond

Post by ineptimusprime » August 11th, 2022, 9:51 pm

Keep the money game.

Not against ‘Bama tho. I like at least being able to think we could win.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
SwaggieAggieaggies22



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 6003
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 293 times
Been thanked: 2810 times

Re: It is interesting looking at 2024 and beyond

Post by ineptimusprime » August 12th, 2022, 9:28 am

And although I hate the 'Bama game, if it has to be played:

(1) I like where we have it in the schedule sandwiched between a Week 0 opener we should win and a Week 2 FCS game we should win, so unless we suffer major injuries it shouldn't impact momentum or morale or really anything about the season; and
(2) I like the big fat check we are getting.

I really didn't like the LSU game in 2019. The opponent was awful, the timing of the game was awful, and we left battered and bruised. I do wonder if that game impacted how the remainder of the season went.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on August 12th, 2022, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.



Madmartigan
Posts: 3197
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has thanked: 265 times
Been thanked: 634 times

Re: It is interesting looking at 2024 and beyond

Post by Madmartigan » August 12th, 2022, 9:31 am

aggies22 wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 5:28 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 3:18 pm
I’d prefer not to play Utah every year. Ideally I’d like to rotate back and forth between BYU and Utah assuming they were home/home but I think it’s a long shot we ever get that deal with Utah again. I could see BYU scheduling us periodically but time will tell.
They can both eat $hit.
Any USU fan that doesn't harbor hatred for both instate programs should have any true aggie card in their possession revoked.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 2):
USU78aggies22



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 6003
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 293 times
Been thanked: 2810 times

Re: It is interesting looking at 2024 and beyond

Post by ineptimusprime » August 12th, 2022, 9:38 am

Madmartigan wrote:
August 12th, 2022, 9:31 am
aggies22 wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 5:28 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 3:18 pm
I’d prefer not to play Utah every year. Ideally I’d like to rotate back and forth between BYU and Utah assuming they were home/home but I think it’s a long shot we ever get that deal with Utah again. I could see BYU scheduling us periodically but time will tell.
They can both eat $hit.
Any USU fan that doesn't harbor hatred for both instate programs should have any true aggie card in their possession revoked.
I certainly don't like either school, but I honestly don't really think about either school except when we play them. Does that result in card revocation?

I think a lot of it has to do with when I became an Aggie fan (2009). We've been entirely competitive with each school in football during my entire Aggie fanhood. I am sure I'd feel differently if I had grown up with the trauma of annual @sskickings at their hands.



Madmartigan
Posts: 3197
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has thanked: 265 times
Been thanked: 634 times

Re: It is interesting looking at 2024 and beyond

Post by Madmartigan » August 12th, 2022, 9:40 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
August 12th, 2022, 9:38 am
Madmartigan wrote:
August 12th, 2022, 9:31 am
aggies22 wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 5:28 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 3:18 pm
I’d prefer not to play Utah every year. Ideally I’d like to rotate back and forth between BYU and Utah assuming they were home/home but I think it’s a long shot we ever get that deal with Utah again. I could see BYU scheduling us periodically but time will tell.
They can both eat $hit.
Any USU fan that doesn't harbor hatred for both instate programs should have any true aggie card in their possession revoked.
I certainly don't like either school, but I honestly don't really think about either school except when we play them. Does that result in card revocation?

I think a lot of it has to do with when I became an Aggie fan (2009). We've been entirely competitive with each school in football during my entire Aggie fanhood. I am sure I'd feel differently if I had grown up with the trauma of annual @sskickings at their hands.
Not hatred per se, but many USU fans attend those programs events and actively cheer for them. That's more what I mean.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
aggies22



NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 2765
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has thanked: 336 times
Been thanked: 571 times

Re: It is interesting looking at 2024 and beyond

Post by NavyBlueAggie » August 12th, 2022, 9:59 am

Madmartigan wrote:
August 12th, 2022, 9:40 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
August 12th, 2022, 9:38 am
Madmartigan wrote:
August 12th, 2022, 9:31 am
aggies22 wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 5:28 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 3:18 pm
I’d prefer not to play Utah every year. Ideally I’d like to rotate back and forth between BYU and Utah assuming they were home/home but I think it’s a long shot we ever get that deal with Utah again. I could see BYU scheduling us periodically but time will tell.
They can both eat $hit.
Any USU fan that doesn't harbor hatred for both instate programs should have any true aggie card in their possession revoked.
I certainly don't like either school, but I honestly don't really think about either school except when we play them. Does that result in card revocation?

I think a lot of it has to do with when I became an Aggie fan (2009). We've been entirely competitive with each school in football during my entire Aggie fanhood. I am sure I'd feel differently if I had grown up with the trauma of annual @sskickings at their hands.
Not hatred per se, but many USU fans attend those programs events and actively cheer for them. That's more what I mean.

Agreed that hatred can take way too much energy, absorb too much time, but I'm free to loath what both schools have done
to denigrate our school. LOATH is my choice of words for their sports programs. May both schools dine continually on their coprophagous menu.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post (total 2):
Madmartiganaggies22



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic