Preseason Coaches Poll Released

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggiealum13
Posts: 509
Joined: February 3rd, 2017, 4:28 am
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 172 times

Preseason coaches poll rankings

Post by Aggiealum13 » August 8th, 2022, 10:42 am

https://www.ksl.com/article/50454103/ut ... eive-votes

Aggies have 12 votes ahead of BSU 10 and tied with Air Force.
These users thanked the author Aggiealum13 for the post:
USU78



YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 3296
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has thanked: 166 times
Been thanked: 1125 times

Preseason Coaches Poll Released

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 8th, 2022, 10:43 am

We are receiving 12 votes, which is good enough for the 38th slot in the initial coaches poll this year.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/p ... ches-poll/

Some notes:

- Bama ranked 1st
- Utah at 8th
- Two G5 teams (Cincy at 22nd, Houston at 25th)
- BYU at 29th
- SDSU at 34th
- Fresno State at 35th
- Utah State tied with Air Force at 38th
- Boise State at 41st

I don't personally remember a time when five Mountain West schools were receiving preseason votes in either major poll. Since there hasn't traditionally been an update after Week 0, we won't get any sort of bump from whooping UConn (assuming we whoop UConn).

For fun, here are the Mountain West teams that COULD be ranked after Week 1 if they win:

- Utah State (if we were to somehow beat #1 Alabama, we are 100% looking at a Top 25 ranking)
- Colorado State (ditto for beating #6 Michigan, albeit a little less certain)
- Air Force (assuming that at least 13 teams in front of them lose and they look GREAT against Northern Iowa; not likely)
- San Diego State (gotta pummel Arizona by 3+ touchdowns, but yeah this is certainly possible with some help)
- Boise State (would need a ton of help after beating Oregon State, but they have the best brand in the MW so maybe?)
- Fresno State (let's say they beat Cal Poly by triple digits and 12 teams in front of them lose in Week 1...then maybe)

For the remaining schools that didn't have preseason votes, I don't think beating New Mexico State and Texas State (Nevada), Idaho State (UNLV), Illinois and Tulsa (Wyoming), Vanderbilt and Western Kentucky (Hawaii), Portland State (SJSU), and Maine (UNM) is going to move the needle. They may have to wait until Week 2.

Hey speaking of Week 2...here are the teams that could be undefeated after Week 2 and could be ranked:

- Boise State, 2-0 against Oregon State and New Mexico. Would still need some help from other teams in front of them.
- San Diego State, 2-0 against Arizona and Idaho State. Possibly our most-likely Top 25 team early on.
- Fresno State, 2-0 against Cal Poly and Oregon State. I guess this could get them in the Top 25?
- Air Force, 2-0 against Northern Iowa and Colorado. Definitely a good start, MAYBE enough to get them to 25th?

Realistically, Utah State and Colorado State just won't be undefeated at this point. If they are, they'll be Top 10 or 15 teams. Hawaii would also be 3-0 with wins against Vandy, WKU, and Michigan. They will probably be 0-3 though.

Okay, so what about Post-Week 3 semi-realistic chances of Top 25 rankings? GLAD YOU ASKED:

- Air Force, 3-0 after a win at Wyoming. Just keep winning, Zoomies.
- Boise State, 3-0 after surviving against (checks notes) UT Martin. I think the Donks are definitely ranked if they're 3-0.
- San Diego State, 3-0 after shocking Utah. Probably won't happen, but the Aztecs would be Top 10-15 if they pull it off.
- Fresno State, 3-0 after upsetting USC in the Coliseum. Another Top 10-15 team for the Mountain West, but probably not.

Alright, we've almost definitely eliminated SDSU and Fresno...BUT HERE COMES WEEK 4:

- Air Force, 4-0 after beating Nevada. I'm saying they are definitely ranked at this point; 26th/27th at worst.
- Boise State, 4-0 after a win at UTEP. This is the opposite of how Boise usually gets ranked, but it'll probably work for them.

BTW, if Utah State is still undefeated it'll be after a win against UNLV and we'll probably drop a spot or two down to 7th/8th.

Are you really going to do this week-by-week? NOPE, but here's where I think Boise and Air Force might finally lose a game:

- Air Force will, in my opinion, roll into Logan as a 5-0 team and be ranked in the mid 20's. Utah State will likely be 3-2 with an outside shot at 4-1 if we can beat BYU. Would be pretty great to knock off the ranked Falcons and almost certainly take their ranking as a 5-1 team with a single loss to #1 Alabama!

- Boise State will be 4-0 when they play SDSU and Fresno in consecutive home games in late September/early October. I think they'll drop at least one of these games...but if they don't they'll have an away game at Air Force and a home game against BYU in two of the next three weeks. Given this round-robin sort of scheduling, I think we have a real shot of one of Boise/SDSU/Fresno/AFA being ranked at the end of October. Possibly two of them, depending on how it goes.

Then Utah State beats Boise and the MW West champs in consecutive weeks, pumping our record up to 12-1. Top 10. Cotton Bowl, here we come. LET'S GO AGGIES.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 3):
USU78AggieBluesaggies22


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

LarryTheAggie
Posts: 1169
Joined: July 4th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Location: Washington DC
Has thanked: 480 times
Been thanked: 680 times

Re: Preseason coaches poll rankings

Post by LarryTheAggie » August 8th, 2022, 10:44 am

Also Fresno and SDSU getting vote. 5 teams getting votes in the preseason has got to be a record.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
jpswensen



trevordude
Posts: 985
Joined: August 25th, 2012, 10:38 am
Has thanked: 538 times
Been thanked: 146 times

Re: Preseason Coaches Poll Released

Post by trevordude » August 8th, 2022, 5:55 pm

I find this surprising, but great. The lore of last season certainly paying this dividend.
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post:
aggies22


Not sent from Tapatalk

User avatar
Naked Bull Rider
Posts: 555
Joined: July 10th, 2015, 11:15 am
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 150 times

Re: Preseason Coaches Poll Released

Post by Naked Bull Rider » August 8th, 2022, 9:52 pm

Happy to see the Aggie love, even though preseason rankings are always a joke.

4-8 USC at #15 is laughable. I don’t care who Riley recruited or stole from OU. They’ll be lucky to finish the season in the polls.

5-7 Texas at #18 with 1 first-place vote? Sark seems to think highly of himself after last year’s $hit-show.

I expect this trash in the pre-season from the AP, but Coaches should be smarter than to participate in the hype train.
These users thanked the author Naked Bull Rider for the post (total 2):
ViAggieaggies22



User avatar
AggieBlues
Posts: 613
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 5:12 pm
Location: North Logan, UT
Has thanked: 485 times
Been thanked: 59 times

Re: Preseason Coaches Poll Released

Post by AggieBlues » August 9th, 2022, 8:56 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
August 8th, 2022, 10:43 am
We are receiving 12 votes, which is good enough for the 38th slot in the initial coaches poll this year.
<snip>
That was a fun read. Thanks.


The amount of energy necessary to refute bull pucky is an order of magnitude greater than to produce it.

YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 3296
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has thanked: 166 times
Been thanked: 1125 times

Re: Preseason Coaches Poll Released

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 9th, 2022, 10:36 am

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
August 8th, 2022, 9:52 pm
Happy to see the Aggie love, even though preseason rankings are always a joke.

4-8 USC at #15 is laughable. I don’t care who Riley recruited or stole from OU. They’ll be lucky to finish the season in the polls.

5-7 Texas at #18 with 1 first-place vote? Sark seems to think highly of himself after last year’s $hit-show.

I expect this trash in the pre-season from the AP, but Coaches should be smarter than to participate in the hype train.
Sark is not a current voter in the poll.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
aggies22


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

User avatar
Naked Bull Rider
Posts: 555
Joined: July 10th, 2015, 11:15 am
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 150 times

Re: Preseason Coaches Poll Released

Post by Naked Bull Rider » August 9th, 2022, 1:01 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 10:36 am
Naked Bull Rider wrote:
August 8th, 2022, 9:52 pm
Happy to see the Aggie love, even though preseason rankings are always a joke.

4-8 USC at #15 is laughable. I don’t care who Riley recruited or stole from OU. They’ll be lucky to finish the season in the polls.

5-7 Texas at #18 with 1 first-place vote? Sark seems to think highly of himself after last year’s $hit-show.

I expect this trash in the pre-season from the AP, but Coaches should be smarter than to participate in the hype train.
Sark is not a current voter in the poll.
Hahahaha really? Oh man, I have to know which coach gave the Longhorns a first-place vote. Someone's either deranged or has an excellent sense of humor.
These users thanked the author Naked Bull Rider for the post:
aggies22



YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 3296
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has thanked: 166 times
Been thanked: 1125 times

Re: Preseason Coaches Poll Released

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 9th, 2022, 1:07 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 1:01 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 10:36 am
Naked Bull Rider wrote:
August 8th, 2022, 9:52 pm
Happy to see the Aggie love, even though preseason rankings are always a joke.

4-8 USC at #15 is laughable. I don’t care who Riley recruited or stole from OU. They’ll be lucky to finish the season in the polls.

5-7 Texas at #18 with 1 first-place vote? Sark seems to think highly of himself after last year’s $hit-show.

I expect this trash in the pre-season from the AP, but Coaches should be smarter than to participate in the hype train.
Sark is not a current voter in the poll.
Hahahaha really? Oh man, I have to know which coach gave the Longhorns a first-place vote. Someone's either deranged or has an excellent sense of humor.
My guess is Saban. Wouldn’t want to vote for his own team and can use it to tell his guys “hey these guys we are playing in Week 2 are serious”
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 2):
Naked Bull Rideraggies22


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

slcagg
Posts: 11693
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 3266 times
Been thanked: 2716 times

Re: Preseason Coaches Poll Released

Post by slcagg » August 9th, 2022, 4:57 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
August 8th, 2022, 9:52 pm
Happy to see the Aggie love, even though preseason rankings are always a joke.

4-8 USC at #15 is laughable. I don’t care who Riley recruited or stole from OU. They’ll be lucky to finish the season in the polls.

5-7 Texas at #18 with 1 first-place vote? Sark seems to think highly of himself after last year’s $hit-show.

I expect this trash in the pre-season from the AP, but Coaches should be smarter than to participate in the hype train.
You probably haven’t noticed the transfers usc have added then. I’d be surprised if they aren’t vastly improved.



User avatar
Naked Bull Rider
Posts: 555
Joined: July 10th, 2015, 11:15 am
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 150 times

Re: Preseason Coaches Poll Released

Post by Naked Bull Rider » August 9th, 2022, 8:56 pm

slcagg wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 4:57 pm
Naked Bull Rider wrote:
August 8th, 2022, 9:52 pm
Happy to see the Aggie love, even though preseason rankings are always a joke.

4-8 USC at #15 is laughable. I don’t care who Riley recruited or stole from OU. They’ll be lucky to finish the season in the polls.

5-7 Texas at #18 with 1 first-place vote? Sark seems to think highly of himself after last year’s $hit-show.

I expect this trash in the pre-season from the AP, but Coaches should be smarter than to participate in the hype train.
You probably haven’t noticed the transfers usc have added then. I’d be surprised if they aren’t vastly improved.
I agree with you that they should be vastly improved, but that’s pretty achievable following a 4-8 year where you were decimated by local rival UCLA. A 7-win season will be considered “vastly improved”. But hey, their schedule is in their favor. Until they play ND, their biggest tests will be Utah & Fresno State.

I’m curious more than anything if he can effectively instill the culture and system he had in Norman, Oklahoma into a Los Angeles program where there’s far more distractions for players and coaches alike.

Kiffin couldn’t do it.
Sark couldn’t do it.
Orgeron couldn’t do it.
Helton couldn’t do it.

Time will tell. Either way, anyone claiming USC deserves a pre-season Top 15 ranking is suckling the media teet a little too hard.



slcagg
Posts: 11693
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 3266 times
Been thanked: 2716 times

Re: Preseason Coaches Poll Released

Post by slcagg » August 9th, 2022, 9:10 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 8:56 pm
slcagg wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 4:57 pm
Naked Bull Rider wrote:
August 8th, 2022, 9:52 pm
Happy to see the Aggie love, even though preseason rankings are always a joke.

4-8 USC at #15 is laughable. I don’t care who Riley recruited or stole from OU. They’ll be lucky to finish the season in the polls.

5-7 Texas at #18 with 1 first-place vote? Sark seems to think highly of himself after last year’s $hit-show.

I expect this trash in the pre-season from the AP, but Coaches should be smarter than to participate in the hype train.
You probably haven’t noticed the transfers usc have added then. I’d be surprised if they aren’t vastly improved.
I agree with you that they should be vastly improved, but that’s pretty achievable following a 4-8 year where you were decimated by local rival UCLA. A 7-win season will be considered “vastly improved”. But hey, their schedule is in their favor. Until they play ND, their biggest tests will be Utah & Fresno State.

I’m curious more than anything if he can effectively instill the culture and system he had in Norman, Oklahoma into a Los Angeles program where there’s far more distractions for players and coaches alike.

Kiffin couldn’t do it.
Sark couldn’t do it.
Orgeron couldn’t do it.
Helton couldn’t do it.

Time will tell. Either way, anyone claiming USC deserves a pre-season Top 15 ranking is suckling the media teet a little too hard.
Well in 2020 we were terrible. And we ended up ranked the following year. A big part of this were transfers.

Usc had a huge haul in transfer talent. If we could turn it around, usc certainly can as well. And I think the talent justifies it. But you can disagree and that is fine.



User avatar
Naked Bull Rider
Posts: 555
Joined: July 10th, 2015, 11:15 am
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 150 times

Re: Preseason Coaches Poll Released

Post by Naked Bull Rider » August 9th, 2022, 10:15 pm

slcagg wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 9:10 pm
Naked Bull Rider wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 8:56 pm
slcagg wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 4:57 pm
Naked Bull Rider wrote:
August 8th, 2022, 9:52 pm
Happy to see the Aggie love, even though preseason rankings are always a joke.

4-8 USC at #15 is laughable. I don’t care who Riley recruited or stole from OU. They’ll be lucky to finish the season in the polls.

5-7 Texas at #18 with 1 first-place vote? Sark seems to think highly of himself after last year’s $hit-show.

I expect this trash in the pre-season from the AP, but Coaches should be smarter than to participate in the hype train.
You probably haven’t noticed the transfers usc have added then. I’d be surprised if they aren’t vastly improved.
I agree with you that they should be vastly improved, but that’s pretty achievable following a 4-8 year where you were decimated by local rival UCLA. A 7-win season will be considered “vastly improved”. But hey, their schedule is in their favor. Until they play ND, their biggest tests will be Utah & Fresno State.

I’m curious more than anything if he can effectively instill the culture and system he had in Norman, Oklahoma into a Los Angeles program where there’s far more distractions for players and coaches alike.

Kiffin couldn’t do it.
Sark couldn’t do it.
Orgeron couldn’t do it.
Helton couldn’t do it.

Time will tell. Either way, anyone claiming USC deserves a pre-season Top 15 ranking is suckling the media teet a little too hard.
Well in 2020 we were terrible. And we ended up ranked the following year. A big part of this were transfers.

Usc had a huge haul in transfer talent. If we could turn it around, usc certainly can as well. And I think the talent justifies it. But you can disagree and that is fine.
I don't disagree with your notion that if we can do it, they can do it. Though recent history tells a different story.
They have all the resources in the world compared to USU and their last 4 regimes haven't come close to replicating the success that Carroll had.

I'm not saying that over time Lincoln Riley can't or won't restore the Trojan glory of old. The only point I'm arguing is that their #15 preseason ranking is absolutely laughable. It doesn't matter who USC hires or recruits in any given offseason, the preseason narrative is always the same . Different year / different staff, but same old story of how their poop smells like Rose Bowls.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic