Travel tips for game in Hawaii?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
BigBlueSteve

Travel tips for game in Hawaii?

Post by BigBlueSteve » August 3rd, 2022, 1:28 am

We're looking into traveling to Hawaii for the game this year. Does anyone know if there are any Aggie football travel packages or a recommended hotel, etc? We've never been to Hawaii so any advice would be appreciated.
These users thanked the author BigBlueSteve for the post (total 2):
aggies22sstrasser

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Travel tips for game in Hawaii?

Post by aggies22 » August 3rd, 2022, 5:58 am

I suggest flying. :)
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
USU78BigBlueSteveFloridaAggie13The Old Bull

Full

Post by Full » August 3rd, 2022, 8:38 am

I’m not sure if this is helpful, but there is this….
https://www.usu.edu/alumni/travel/hawaii
These users thanked the author Full for the post (total 2):
aggies22BigBlueSteve

The Old Bull

Post by The Old Bull » August 3rd, 2022, 10:06 am

I have had the opportunity to do allot of work in Hawaii. I have spent allot of time on 6 of the 8 islands If you are going to spend some extra time on Oahu and make a vacation out of the trip, I suggest you stay up at the Marriot in Laie. I try to spend most of my time on the northern part of the island when on Oahu.

Sharks cove and 3 tables both have excellent snorkeling and I have always seen turtles in both locations.
Jumping off the rock at Waimea Bay is fun... Hopefully the waves wont be to big in November... Sometimes the waves get pretty big and the beaches are un swimmable on the northern part of the island in the winter. If they are hopefully you can catch a surfing competition at sunset beach.

The easiest place I found to catch a wave body surfing was a little beach next to the Halona Blowhole its a small narrow beach and is pretty rocky but I had fun... and the blowhole is cool to see.

Overall the best place for body surfing and boogie boarding that I found was pounders beach between Hauula and Laie.. I had a local contractor I was working with that was giving me body surfing lessons before and after work and he said the best waves are always at pounders... travel tip... if there is a hurricane approaching and you decide to go check things out and drive by pounders and see locals out body surfing.... don't try it if you are a beginner like me... you will probably get pounded like a nail into the sand and almost drown.

Hukilau beach is a nice chill place to swim and relax on the beach

If you are in Laie drive out to the end of Laie point you can jump off the cliff into the ocean if the waves aren't to big.... (EDIT I should add that jumping in here is dependent on the tide level and currents. A good rule to follow is if there are people jumping in then go ahead and jump in... if not use caution and verify the depth and currents before you jump)
I am fortunate to have a relative that lives in one of the homes at the end of the road... great views and great place to stay!

There are lots of great waterfalls you can hike to... some of the trails have been closed. There is one behind the Temple up in Laie the trail was closed but I may or may not have gone there anyway... spectacular!

If hiking waterfalls interest you I would just google waterfall hikes on oahu and there is a whole list of them. One of the best I have been to that is still open you just leave from I neighborhood... parking is tough at peak times but its worth the walk.

Hiking up to the top of Diamond Head is something everyone should do once but wouldn't be at the top of my list.

Allot of people enjoy a luau at the PCC.. because I have done work there I have never done the tourist stuff there so I couldn't really speak to that... if you do go make sure to swing by the Tonga Village... We did the design and engineered all the buildings there... I got to attend the grand opening with the king and queen of Tonga... and hang out with Miss Tonga... who was actually from hawaii...

If you like shrimp you will love Oahu. Each island has their own flavor food wise and on Oahu its garlic shrimp. The place I make sure to go when I am on Oahu is Teds Bakery for the Garlic Shrimp! Most people will tell you to go to Giovanni's for the garlic shrimp... respectfully they dont know what they are talking about and if they are telling you to go to Giovanni's they have never been to Teds! ;) ... and you get a cream pie with your shrimp!

For shave ice its Matsumoto Shave Ice in Haleiwa... make sure to get the ice cream and beans... I was skeptical of the beans my first time... but you will never go back once you have the beans!

For breakfast you should go to the Hukilau Cafe you wont be disappointed!

If you decide you want a burger and are closer to Honolulu then you should give The Counter a try.

The Alley in Aiea (near pearl harbor) has good local food

Allot of people may tell you to try L&L BBQ for local food... One of my first trips to Oahu I had asked for recommendations and someone told me the best place for local food was L&L so trying to sound like I knew what I was talking about I was telling the shuttle bus driver that I was going to be sure to hit L&L while I was there and he said... "...Man... L&L SUCKS if you want good food go to the Alley" I tried both places and I agree with him... only been to L&L once.

Sorry.. this got a little long... if you want more info feel free to send me a PM
Last edited by The Old Bull on August 3rd, 2022, 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author The Old Bull for the post (total 6):
Aggie19aggies22ShowMeAggieUSU78BigBlueStevecrazywookie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 3rd, 2022, 10:19 am

The Old Bull wrote:
August 3rd, 2022, 10:06 am
I have had the opportunity to do allot of work in Hawaii. I have spent allot of time on 6 of the 8 islands If you are going to spend some extra time on Oahu and make a vacation out of the trip, I suggest you stay up at the Marriot in Laie. I try to spend most of my time on the northern part of the island when on Oahu.

Sharks cove and 3 tables both have excellent snorkeling and I have always seen turtles in both locations.
Jumping off the rock at Waimea Bay is fun... Hopefully the waves wont be to big in November... Sometimes the waves get pretty big and the beaches are un swimmable on the northern part of the island in the winter. If they are hopefully you can catch a surfing competition at sunset beach.

The easiest place I found to catch a wave body surfing was a little beach next to the Halona Blowhole its a small narrow beach and is pretty rocky but I had fun... and the blowhole is cool to see.

Overall the best place for body surfing and boogie boarding that I found was pounders beach between Hauula and Laie.. I had a local contractor I was working with that was giving me body surfing lessons before and after work and he said the best waves are always at pounders... travel tip... if there is a hurricane approaching and you decide to go check things out and drive by pounders and see locals out body surfing.... don't try it if you are a beginner like me... you will probably get pounded like a nail into the sand and almost drown.

Hukilau beach is a nice chill place to swim and relax on the beach

If you are in Laie drive out to the end of Laie point you can jump off the cliff into the ocean if the waves aren't to big. I am fortunate to have a relative that lives in one of the homes at the end of the road... great views and great place to stay!

There are lots of great waterfalls you can hike to... some of the trails have been closed. There is one behind the Temple up in Laie the trail was closed but I may or may not have gone there anyway... spectacular!

If hiking waterfalls interest you I would just google waterfall hikes on oahu and there is a whole list of them. One of the best I have been to that is still open you just leave from I neighborhood... parking is tough at peak times but its worth the walk.

Hiking up to the top of Diamond Head is something everyone should do once but wouldn't be at the top of my list.

Allot of people enjoy a luau at the PCC.. because I have done work there I have never done the tourist stuff there so I couldn't really speak to that... if you do go make sure to swing by the Tonga Village... We did the design and engineered all the buildings there... I got to attend the grand opening with the king and queen of Tonga... and hang out with Miss Tonga... who was actually from hawaii...

If you like shrimp you will love Oahu. Each island has their own flavor food wise and on Oahu its garlic shrimp. The place I make sure to go when I am on Oahu is Teds Bakery for the Garlic Shrimp! Most people will tell you to go to Giovanni's for the garlic shrimp... respectfully they dont know what they are talking about and if they are telling you to go to Giovanni's they have never been to Teds! ;) ... and you get a cream pie with your shrimp!

For shave ice its Matsumoto Shave Ice in Haleiwa... make sure to get the ice cream and beans... I was skeptical of the beans my first time... but you will never go back once you have the beans!

If you decide you want a burger and are closer to Honolulu then you should give The Counter a try.

The Alley in Aiea (near pearl harbor) has good local food

Allot of people may tell you to try L&L BBQ for local food... One of my first trips to Oahu I had asked for recommendations and someone told me the best place for local food was L&L so trying to sound like I knew what I was talking about I was telling the shuttle bus driver that I was going to be sure to hit L&L while I was there and he said... "...Man... L&L SUCKS if you want good food go to the Alley" I tried both places and I agree with him... only been to L&L once.

Sorry.. this got a little long... if you want more info feel free to send me a PM
No argument from me here, my one and only time on Oahu I spent doing a lot of these things, including Dimond Head (worth it) and a lot of water falls (Waimea Falls is my personal fav).

Also, considering that the game is in a stadium that only seats like 6K people, I would buy your tickets sooner than later. I don't think they are selling out games (not sure?) but that's pretty limited capacity. Hell I might even look into going, that would be a great time of year to visit.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
aggies22

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » August 3rd, 2022, 10:20 am

The Old Bull wrote:
August 3rd, 2022, 10:06 am

Cannot 2nd this enough! The Old Bull knows what he's talking about.

Now I'm hungry 😁
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 3):
ViAggieaggies22The Old Bull

Go Aggies!

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » August 3rd, 2022, 12:15 pm

Ah, jeez! Now you guys got me thinking. Wonder if I could pull this off as a surprise trip for my wife, and only reveal it on her birthday (end of October).
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post (total 3):
aggies22ViAggiesstrasser

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 3rd, 2022, 12:25 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
August 3rd, 2022, 12:15 pm
Ah, jeez! Now you guys got me thinking. Wonder if I could pull this off as a surprise trip for my wife, and only reveal it on her birthday (end of October).
SURPRISE BABE! WE'RE GOING TO A FOOTBALL GAME!!!! :lol:
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
The Old BulltrevordudeViAggiesstrasser

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » August 3rd, 2022, 12:31 pm

My suggestion is to be on Oahu only as long as needed to enjoy the game, then go to Kauai or Moloka'i.
If you're the boujee type (fancy resorts and restaurants are your thing), go to Maui.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
aggies22

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 3rd, 2022, 12:33 pm

brownjeans wrote:
August 3rd, 2022, 12:31 pm
My suggestion is to be on Oahu only as long as needed to enjoy the game, then go to Kauai or Moloka'i.
If you're the boujee type (fancy resorts and restaurants are your thing), go to Maui.
I second this. Kauai is an awesome place to visit. A lot less crowded and taking a sailing/snorkeling excursion on the Napali Coast is as beautiful place as any.

The Old Bull

Post by The Old Bull » August 3rd, 2022, 12:49 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
August 3rd, 2022, 12:33 pm
brownjeans wrote:
I second this. Kauai is an awesome place to visit. A lot less crowded and taking a sailing/snorkeling excursion on the Napali Coast is as beautiful place as any.
This is why I said when I am on Oahu I like to stay up North as much as possible, to stay away from the crowds.

I think Kauai is great! I also really like Maui and there is allot to do on Maui that doesn't include luxury resorts and food! I could write a book on both Maui and Kauai.

My book on Lanai and Molokai would be much shorter... I will say this... both of them require a jeep to get the full experience! :) The trouble with Lanai is finding a place to stay... probably not as hard now that both of the four seasons are up and running again... Limited availability can have its benefits tho... ;) my last trip to Lanai I had to squeeze 4 people on a king size bed... ahh the single life! ...wait... wives aren't allowed on here are they? :lol:
These users thanked the author The Old Bull for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025aggies22

foreveranaggie

Post by foreveranaggie » August 3rd, 2022, 1:38 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 3rd, 2022, 12:25 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
I got my wife to agree to take the kids to Hawaii for Christmas, then sprung the basketball tournament on her. She still happily agreed as she gets a trip to Hawaii.
These users thanked the author foreveranaggie for the post (total 3):
aggies22Aggiefan33sstrasser

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » August 3rd, 2022, 3:13 pm

foreveranaggie wrote:
August 3rd, 2022, 1:38 pm
aggies22 wrote:
August 3rd, 2022, 12:25 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
I got my wife to agree to take the kids to Hawaii for Christmas, then sprung the basketball tournament on her. She still happily agreed as she gets a trip to Hawaii.
After letting the initial excitement of the idea wear off I think I'm going to want to target 2025, instead. Gives me a chance to save up instead of going even further in debt. Plus Hawaii should be in a new stadium by then, right?
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post:
DreadPirateRoberts

DreadPirateRoberts

Post by DreadPirateRoberts » August 3rd, 2022, 3:50 pm

This game is on my wife's birthday, and she loves Hawaii. We have toyed around with the idea, but we have a cruise booked in October. Not sure we can make both work. (The cruise was booked before the schedule was released.)

The Dread Pirate Roberts leaves no survivors.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 3rd, 2022, 4:15 pm

brownjeans wrote:
Going to Maui next spring. Kauai is great unless you don't like surprise rain storms that sometimes last for days. The BI is very diverse climate wise, Oahu is under rated IMHO. I say stay there and take advantage of the beauty.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 3rd, 2022, 4:20 pm

I would have no problem hanging out on the North Shore of Oahu every time. It really is awesome. Great hikes, great beaches. I could do it every year. I concur that Ted's is amazing.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Aggie19

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 4th, 2022, 12:11 am

I talked to my wife tonight and I think we're a go for this game as well!

BigBlueSteve

Post by BigBlueSteve » August 4th, 2022, 5:02 am

Thanks for all of the responses! Hopefully, we can pull it off this year. If not... 2025 here we come!

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score

Post by QuackAttackAggie » August 4th, 2022, 12:43 pm

I think we are going to try to go as well. I might be up for an award on the monday after the game, meaning I'd have to miss it. I'd be fairly annoyed if so.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » August 7th, 2022, 6:04 am

aggies22 wrote:
August 3rd, 2022, 5:58 am
I suggest flying. :)
I know you can Fly-eeeee
but I'd rather Drive-eeeeee

WEEKLY PICK'EM & WTHCG YTD Standings
2022 KICKOFF Pick'Em Results and Standings
Week 5 games deadline 10/01 10am but 2 Friday games, get your picks in before kickoff

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic