Current attitude towards USU

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AngusAg

Current attitude towards USU

Post by AngusAg » June 2nd, 2022, 2:31 pm

May not be the right forum, but oh well.

Just curious if anybody knows the current feelings toward USU for the following individuals:

Greg Grant
Reid Newey
Travis Cox
Chris Cooley
Bobby Wagner
Nick Vigil
Brady Jardine

ShowMeAggie

Re: Current attitude towards USU

Post by ShowMeAggie » June 2nd, 2022, 2:36 pm

I don't "KNOW" anything about anyone else on the list, but Brady Jardine has season tickets and brings his family to EVERY men's basketball game in the Spectrum. Not sure whether that translates to financial donations or not, but I feel pretty safe in saying that Brady feels alright about USU. (or at least USU basketball...)
These users thanked the author ShowMeAggie for the post:
AngusAg

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » June 2nd, 2022, 3:44 pm

Reid has softened a bit, but not a regular attender or supporter of the program. Still some feelings with the Kohn Smith situation where he was a casualty. He has been back a few times. I’ll tell you this if they were looking for someone to assist that knows the landscape of Utah High school basketball, was an incredibly good shooter and is one of the toughest Aggies of all time, then Reid is your guy. He just retired from the Davis School District superintendent job (June 30th) so he has time to help. A bad knee is the only thing that kept him from playing in the NBA. Most on here never had the privilege of watching him play. Think of a little tougher, maybe a little slower Sam Merrill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post (total 4):
AngusAgFloridaAggie13aggies22bluegrouse

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 2nd, 2022, 3:59 pm

B-Wags showed up to the Hall of Fame ceremony so that's a start. But I have a suspicion that I'm going to run into B-Wags on August 19th at 7:30 PM, and if I do I'll ask him. :)

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 2nd, 2022, 7:45 pm

BWags hates Hartwell (confirmed from multiple highly reliable sources). So there’s that. It’s not really a secret anymore for a whole swath of football alumni. I won’t get in to the reasons, but it’s two strong-willed, accomplished dudes that really don’t see eye to eye.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
AngusAg

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » June 4th, 2022, 12:51 pm

Jardine is just not a fan of Stew from what I've heard. Personality clash there.
These users thanked the author Blitz79 for the post:
AngusAg

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » June 4th, 2022, 8:50 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
June 4th, 2022, 12:51 pm
Jardine is just not a fan of Stew from what I've heard. Personality clash there.
He did however like Duryea and was defensive of him.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » June 6th, 2022, 3:48 pm

Why is Jardine even on this list? Do people know he averaged like 7 and 6 in his career? Why is he talked about like one of the Aggie greats?

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » June 9th, 2022, 11:45 am

Greg Grant’s issue is complicated. His dad the Judge was the one that was pissed about Greg not getting enough accolades for at the time being the all time scoring leader. Plus, the dad thought Greg’s number 5 should have been retired. Greg himself went through a lot of stressful heartache situations. Greg’s young wife came down with cancer. She dies so young. She had a baby girl a year or two before she died. So here is Greg who lost a wife and now is a single dad raising a young daughter. Greg got a job that is not conducive to being around people. He is an air traffic controller at Salt Lake International. That job is stressful enough all by itself. Last I knew he was still a widower.

When I taught school at North Davis in Clearfield we as teachers would often have a game with other teachers either before school or after. Reid started his career as a teacher at Clearfield High. We usually had our games at North Davis., I played against Reid a lot for a couple of years. With Reid he felt disrespected by the University where he often was a star. He felt that Kohn, Jimmy and himself were not given time, and felt there was too many outside sources besides the University that had a say in things. I watched a lot of games when Kohn was coach and there just was not a good give and take with Kohn and his players. Most players did not care for Kohn and felt he was a poor communicator and a bit nerdly! So I report on a couple of players that I knew directly.
These users thanked the author troutputz for the post (total 4):
USU78FloridaAggie13AngusAgaggies22

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » June 9th, 2022, 1:10 pm

TrueAG wrote:
June 6th, 2022, 3:48 pm
Why is Jardine even on this list? Do people know he averaged like 7 and 6 in his career? Why is he talked about like one of the Aggie greats?
I think most of it has to do with his verticality.

These users thanked the author AGNUMPI for the post (total 3):
ShowMeAggieaggieguy13ereksonaggie

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » June 9th, 2022, 1:19 pm

AGNUMPI wrote:
June 9th, 2022, 1:10 pm
TrueAG wrote:

Yeah, I think a couple plays got seared into young fans memories and they remember him differently than the reality.

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » June 9th, 2022, 1:39 pm

TrueAG wrote:
June 9th, 2022, 1:19 pm
AGNUMPI wrote:
TrueAG wrote:

Yeah, I think a couple plays got seared into young fans memories and they remember him differently than the reality.
I think his senior year he was showing strong to start and going to be relied upon as a major contributor but got injured and never really returned.

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » June 9th, 2022, 2:04 pm

AGNUMPI wrote:
TrueAG wrote:

Not to mention his ability to get up and make a play.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » June 9th, 2022, 3:27 pm

troutputz wrote:
June 9th, 2022, 11:45 am
Greg Grant’s issue is complicated. His dad the Judge was the one that was pissed about Greg not getting enough accolades for at the time being the all time scoring leader. Plus, the dad thought Greg’s number 5 should have been retired. Greg himself went through a lot of stressful heartache situations. Greg’s young wife came down with cancer. She dies so young. She had a baby girl a year or two before she died. So here is Greg who lost a wife and now is a single dad raising a young daughter. Greg got a job that is not conducive to being around people. He is an air traffic controller at Salt Lake International. That job is stressful enough all by itself. Last I knew he was still a widower.

When I taught school at North Davis in Clearfield we as teachers would often have a game with other teachers either before school or after. Reid started his career as a teacher at Clearfield High. We usually had our games at North Davis., I played against Reid a lot for a couple of years. With Reid he felt disrespected by the University where he often was a star. He felt that Kohn, Jimmy and himself were not given time, and felt there was too many outside sources besides the University that had a say in things. I watched a lot of games when Kohn was coach and there just was not a good give and take with Kohn and his players. Most players did not care for Kohn and felt he was a poor communicator and a bit nerdly! So I report on a couple of players that I knew directly.
I'm an alumni of North Davis Jr. High! Was there '84-'87.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » June 9th, 2022, 3:29 pm

troutputz wrote:

In the summer of 1993, I ran into Reid a few times at Roy Complex working out and shooting around. Yeah, he felt the rope given him was much too short and the manner in which the decision was communicated was very unprofessional, to say the least. He was angry.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
aggies22

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 9th, 2022, 5:54 pm

TrueAG wrote:
Yeah Jardine was a fan favorite who had some impressive plays, but he was a role player. Some fans act like he was an Aggie legend. Similar to Brock Miller in that regard. Respect Miller for trying to play through a hurt back and if fans love him that is great, but when you see threads pop up that he should be in the Aggie Hall of Fame, it is a little silly.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » June 9th, 2022, 5:59 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
June 9th, 2022, 5:54 pm
TrueAG wrote:
Yeah Jardine was a fan favorite who had some impressive plays, but he was a role player. Some fans act like he was an Aggie legend. Similar to Brock Miller in that regard. Respect Miller for trying to play through a hurt back and if fans love him that is great, but when you see threads pop up that he should be in the Aggie Hall of Fame, it is a little silly.
I loved him as an Aggie. I liked having his Dad participate on the board giving insight. I just think it's odd when he is put up there with Aggie legends, when far superior players are forgotten. Penigar, Wilkenson, Harris, Nelson, Butler, Quayle, Tony Brown to name a few.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post:
troutputz

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 9th, 2022, 6:35 pm

TrueAG wrote:
June 9th, 2022, 5:59 pm
TrueAG wrote:
I loved him as an Aggie. I liked having his Dad participate on the board giving insight. I just think it's odd when he is put up there with Aggie legends, when far superior players are forgotten. Penigar, Wilkenson, Harris, Nelson, Butler, Quayle, Tony Brown to name a few.
You are right. Spencer Nelson gets a lot of attention, but some of those guys are hardly mentioned anymore despite being great Aggies. Tony Brown was a great Aggie who was on the team that went undefeated in conference and then the next year was on the team that beat Ohio State in the dance, yet is hardly mentioned anymore.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » June 9th, 2022, 6:49 pm

June 9th, 2022, 6:35 pm
TrueAG wrote:
June 9th, 2022, 5:59 pm
TrueAG wrote:
You are right. Spencer Nelson gets a lot of attention, but some of those guys are hardly mentioned anymore despite being great Aggies. Tony Brown was a great Aggie who was on the team that went undefeated in conference and then the next year was on the team that beat Ohio State in the dance, yet is hardly mentioned anymore.
Thank you both for your sanity on this point. He was a solid player on good teams but when people list him on their hypothetical all-time or best of a certain time period type teams then it gets crazy. Had his senior year turned out differently maybe it would be a different story.

More pertinent to the thread though, I usually see him in the Club level at USU football games.

Bigd23
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bigd23 » June 10th, 2022, 1:37 pm

Not sure why Travis Cox would make this list. I don't think his son (Kaden) would have had much of a shot at playing QB here but I was really glad to see him move on to another program.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

BiocatAg

Post by BiocatAg » June 10th, 2022, 1:56 pm

TrueAG wrote:
To be fair, the OP didn't specifically call out anybody on the list as an "Aggie great". Given others on the list (although I'm not sure about Travis Cox), it's a reasonable assumption that that's what they were thinking, but it's also possible they just wondered about those specific players.
These users thanked the author BiocatAg for the post:
AngusAg

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » June 10th, 2022, 5:11 pm

TrueAG wrote:

Not that he wasn't a good or great player. Not sure anyone can state that one way or another.

But you have to acknowledge the fact he was playing behind one of the best to ever play at USU, in Utah, in the WAC.
Our team wasn't built to even give him a shot at being great.

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » June 10th, 2022, 7:12 pm

TrueAG wrote:
You don’t have to average 20 and 10 player to leave a legendary impression in some people’s minds.

It’s totally fine if you don’t want say he is legendary player and it shouldn’t be a problem for anyone if they believe any Aggie was.

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 11th, 2022, 2:44 pm

TrueAG wrote:
I'd take Jardine on our team any day of the week. Stats don't reflect how he could change a game.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
ereksonaggie

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » June 12th, 2022, 2:05 pm

Brady was poised to have a HUGE senior season before the injury.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 2):
aggies22bluegrouse

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » June 12th, 2022, 2:38 pm

treesap32 wrote:Brady was poised to have a HUGE senior season before the injury.
I completely agree. I loved the combo of Brady and Kyisean Reed. One of the most athletic set of forwards we have had at Utah State. With the season ending injuries to the two if them, I thought it could be been a special team. Kyisean was so explosive and good around the basket. He didn’t play many games for us but he remains one of my favorite Aggies.

These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post (total 4):
treesap32cdaAgaggies22slcagg

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 13th, 2022, 8:48 pm

treesap32 wrote:
June 12th, 2022, 2:05 pm
Brady was poised to have a HUGE senior season before the injury.
It definitely is a shame he lost his senior year. It really was the beginning of the end of the Stew era, Jardine's injury combined with the apology.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » June 16th, 2022, 6:00 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
June 2nd, 2022, 3:44 pm
Reid has softened a bit, but not a regular attender or supporter of the program. Still some feelings with the Kohn Smith situation where he was a casualty. He has been back a few times. I’ll tell you this if they were looking for someone to assist that knows the landscape of Utah High school basketball, was an incredibly good shooter and is one of the toughest Aggies of all time, then Reid is your guy. He just retired from the Davis School District superintendent job (June 30th) so he has time to help. A bad knee is the only thing that kept him from playing in the NBA. Most on here never had the privilege of watching him play. Think of a little tougher, maybe a little slower Sam Merrill.

I was in college when Newey was playing. One of my favorite all-time Aggies. Like you said, tough as nails and a very good shooter.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » June 16th, 2022, 6:07 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
June 9th, 2022, 3:29 pm
troutputz wrote:

In the summer of 1993, I ran into Reid a few times at Roy Complex working out and shooting around. Yeah, he felt the rope given him was much too short and the manner in which the decision was communicated was very unprofessional, to say the least. He was angry.
I disagree about having too short a rope for Kohn. Things weren't improving and I think most people felt he was done. As far as how it happened, I couldn't agree more. It was handled very poorly and unprofessionally IMO. So I definitely agree with Newey on that.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Donman

Post by Donman » June 16th, 2022, 7:01 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
troutputz wrote:

I disagree about having too short a rope for Kohn. Things weren't improving and I think most people felt he was done. As far as how it happened, I couldn't agree more. It was handled very poorly and unprofessionally IMO. So I definitely agree with Newey on that.
Kohn never won a Big West Tourney game in 5 years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » June 16th, 2022, 7:10 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
June 16th, 2022, 6:07 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
troutputz wrote:

I agree, the program regressed under Kohn and there was no light at the end of the tunnel. It was time for him to go.

As to how it was handled, Reid wasn't specific, but said it was really wrong and I think that's where he had a beef.

Donman

Post by Donman » June 16th, 2022, 8:12 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
June 16th, 2022, 7:10 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
June 16th, 2022, 6:07 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
troutputz wrote:

I agree, the program regressed under Kohn and there was no light at the end of the tunnel. It was time for him to go.

As to how it was handled, Reid wasn't specific, but said it was really wrong and I think that's where he had a beef.
The new coach didn't retain any of the coaching staff and I can understand why. Eustachy wanted his people. He came in and did a good job. The results showed the decision was correct.
These users thanked the author Donman for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Locked Previous topicNext topic