The merits of shameless self-promotion

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

The merits of shameless self-promotion

Post by BigBlueDart » January 14th, 2022, 12:18 pm

I came across this article talking about how SDSU took out a few pages of USA Today the day of the FBS championship game, as well as billboards around Indianapolis, extolling the success of their program, the new stadium ready for them next season, and the overall upward trajectory of their program. Setting aside for a moment the brazen chest-thumping aspect of this that lines up so well with what we have come to expect of a number of SDSU fans (most notable the @TheShowSDSU Twitter account), and also setting aside any debate over how much their view of themselves lines up with reality, even setting aside any takes on just how effective this particular media campaign will be for SDSU, specifically, I'd like to ask the question:

Is it worth the cost for Western schools and conferences to promote themselves more in Central and Eastern timezone markets? As the article points out, we are often overlooked just because our games tend to be aired when a lot of heads are already hitting pillows on the other half of the country. Would there be a potential benefit in level of recognition and respect for our school or conference to deliberately and forcefully inject ourselves into the conversation through media ad buys? Keep in mind that the specific strategy does not have to match what SDSU has done, as I wonder if there might be more effective approaches, but my question is more towards whether the basic idea has merit.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sp ... billboards
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

bwcrc

Re: The merits of shameless self-promotion

Post by bwcrc » January 14th, 2022, 12:35 pm

I like the aggressiveness of pushing their own brand. For USU, it would be a good start to do more just along the Wasatch Front first.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post (total 5):
hipsterdoofus21apoflying_scotsman2.0BigBlueDartthegreendalegelf

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » January 14th, 2022, 1:13 pm

bwcrc wrote:
January 14th, 2022, 12:35 pm
I like the aggressiveness of pushing their own brand. For USU, it would be a good start to do more just along the Wasatch Front first.
This is true. First priority for us.

One thing that got me thinking was that the article said SDSU dropped about $100k on this campaign. Anyone know what our budget is for the Athletic Department's Office of Self-Promotion and Chest-Thumping (OOSPACT) is? How much do we spend on media ad buys, etc.? Could we/should we spend more? Would a more aggressive campaign across the Wasatch Front pay dividends in tickets sales and more alumni/fan donations?

As far as promoting our brand on a national level, I could see that becoming a little more of a priority should we be having a good year and are trying to get more votes and either an NY6 berth or even playoff berth (those may very well be the same thing in a few years, anyway). Also, should we have a player with even a sniff at the Heisman or some other major award, perhaps there is some targeted promotion that would be worthwhile. But I could definitely see some benefit for the conference doing more promotion across the country. It would also have to be something much better than this "At the Peak" crap.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 14th, 2022, 2:20 pm

So, basically asking if we want to be like BYU?

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » January 14th, 2022, 2:22 pm

NVAggie wrote:
January 14th, 2022, 2:20 pm
So, basically asking if we want to be like BYU?
AGNUMPI

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » January 14th, 2022, 2:55 pm

bwcrc wrote:
January 14th, 2022, 12:35 pm
+1.

It seems like Utah State's fanbase size has been pretty stagnant the last decade, as evidenced here: https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2013/11/19/ ... dance.aspx

Hopefully, we'll see an increase in fans in the coming years with the hopeful continuation of our program's success.

But I've been worried about our stagnant enrollment numbers. And smaller enrollment numbers mean fewer students experience USU athletics, and fewer people become fans. Utah State has essentially flatlined on enrollment while Utah, Weber State, UVU, SUU, and Dixie have all grown. Thank god it's not my job to worry about, but if I'm in the marketing and admissions office, I'm doubling my recruiting efforts first in Weber and Davis counties (proximity), then on Salt Lake County (proximity plus most populous county in Utah), then Utah County (2nd most populous county). I'd also be working in southeastern Idaho where USU gets a lot of transfers from BYUI who realize they don't like the 1984 culture in Rexburg.

It's not my job, so I try not to worry too much about it. While enrollment has stagnated, USU's hit a lot of recent milestones with the MWC conference championships this year, its R1 designation, its $40+ million gift announced this week, its hopeful growing number of boosters (hint, hint), etc.

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

AussieAggieDad

Post by AussieAggieDad » January 15th, 2022, 3:17 pm

Not sure this the correct thread for this article (Mods: please move as required),

I found this article interesting about the changing landscape for player movement and the impact on coaches, players and the relationship between college and NFL. I'm not really qualified to comment but I thought others might find it a good read.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... ack-rumors

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 18th, 2022, 1:36 pm

USU should market the hell out of the Wasatch Front. Billboards and such everywhere.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 5):
ViAggieSlim80thegreendalegelf3rdGenAggieAggie formerly in Hawaii

Formerly TulsAGGIE

BigBlueAggie

Post by BigBlueAggie » January 18th, 2022, 3:56 pm

As a Salt Laker who has season tickets, I can tell you that I don't think marketing down here does a ton. I speak to fellow Aggie Alumni about going to games all the time, even offering to give them a few tickets just to get them up there, but they won't do it. "The Drive" said with an exasperated look, always keeps them here.

I counter that driving in and out of a BYU or UofU game takes dang near just as long (for sure with BYU games).

I think too much time has passed for all the less enthused Wasatch Front Aggies. With BYU moving to a P5 conference in the coming years, it may just be too much of a lost cause and cost.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » January 18th, 2022, 5:07 pm

BigBlueAggie wrote:
January 18th, 2022, 3:56 pm
As a Salt Laker who has season tickets, I can tell you that I don't think marketing down here does a ton. I speak to fellow Aggie Alumni about going to games all the time, even offering to give them a few tickets just to get them up there, but they won't do it. "The Drive" said with an exasperated look, always keeps them here.

I counter that driving in and out of a BYU or UofU game takes dang near just as long (for sure with BYU games).

I think too much time has passed for all the less enthused Wasatch Front Aggies. With BYU moving to a P5 conference in the coming years, it may just be too much of a lost cause and cost.
You could do something like this: a 30 second commercial, with side-by-side video and a clock in the corners of two families driving: one south to Provo, through traffic, construction, nothing but concrete, bumper to bumper as you approach the stadium; one north to Logan, with views of Willard Bay, the fall colors in Sardine Canyon, the view of pastoral Cache Valley as it opens up as the highway turns north into Wellsville. They take roughly the same time, but one is a series of pleasures, the other a hellscape.

"We've been wanting to get back to Logan since we graduated! Now we remember why."

Kids eating Aggie ice cream, mom and dad doing the Scotsman, happy family driving back to the Front...v. stuck in traffic getting out of Provo.

Possibly fading out with a IP lawyer-approved not-quite-the-Beatles sound-alike "Get back to where you once belonged..." over the USU and Cache Valley Chamber logos.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post (total 5):
Aggie19dirtnsnowPIGSKINAGGIEAggiePTJSHarvey

Nobody here knows anything.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » January 18th, 2022, 5:57 pm

Your hired!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 18th, 2022, 7:04 pm

The rental for putting a billboard up on land along freeways and major highways is not high. USU could contact landowners who are also alums, offer the same rates as Reagan, and build their own boards. Cut out the middle guy, get way more bang for your advertising buck.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyNavyBlueAggie

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 19th, 2022, 11:57 am

I can understand an alumnus who has become apathetic toward supporting his school's athletic efforts way more than someone who has transferred their support to UofU or BYU.
For the former, it's not a priority. For the latter, they gained no integrity from their time spent at USU.

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » January 19th, 2022, 1:40 pm

I think a well put together media campaign in the regions mentioned could do a lot to reignite passion, or at least interest, with alumni that have just stopped caring along the way. The other thing it will do is make the USU brand (both for athletics and the university overall) more on the minds of kids. Seeing well-crafted advertisements for the university will end up legitimizing the school for kids going forward, where previously a lot grow up thinking only of BYU and/or UofU. This would be the long-game that will generate more students and future fans.

Bottom line is I don't think that because you've invited folks to come to games and they couldn't care less that you throw up your hands and assume a good media campaign wouldn't change any minds.
JSHarvey

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » January 20th, 2022, 3:41 am

I am always shocked at people who complain about “the drive”. Whenever I am back in Utah, it takes me about an hour and 20 minutes to get from the SLC airport to Logan, and I drive the speed limit. A few years ago we went to stay with some of my wife’s friends in Orem (just a short distance from the UVU campus) and it took us about an hour and ten minutes to get there from the SLC airport. The difference between going south from SLC is not much different than going north. The difference is the canyon, which makes it seem longer. But in any case, from Bountiful through southeastern Idaho, there are about 800,000 people who live within an hours drive from the USU campus. That is where USU should really focus its marketing.

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » January 20th, 2022, 7:38 am

I don't get the complaint either. When I was a student it always seemed like I had to go south to visit family because the drive was easier for me than for them. That never made sense to me.

When I was in Utah back in October and did a campus tour with my son who will be starting in the fall, we left American Fork around 9:15 a.m. and were in Logan by 10:40 a.m. I didn't think I was going all that fast either. Get north of Bountiful and it is usually an easy drive depending on any construction.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » January 20th, 2022, 8:16 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
January 20th, 2022, 3:41 am
I am always shocked at people who complain about “the drive”. Whenever I am back in Utah, it takes me about an hour and 20 minutes to get from the SLC airport to Logan, and I drive the speed limit. A few years ago we went to stay with some of my wife’s friends in Orem (just a short distance from the UVU campus) and it took us about an hour and ten minutes to get there from the SLC airport. The difference between going south from SLC is not much different than going north. The difference is the canyon, which makes it seem longer. But in any case, from Bountiful through southeastern Idaho, there are about 800,000 people who live within an hours drive from the USU campus. That is where USU should really focus its marketing.
People along the Wasatch Front are notorious for thinking that any drive over 20 minutes is "far." I don't want to say Utahns are a parochial bunch, but well....

I had a whole spiel written out about examples of Utah folks not traveling far from home, but I think this space is better used to say that if we want more people to buy season tickets, we have to find ways to bring them back into the fold after never having developed those habits during decades of sustained mediocrity. There are would-be boosters out there in their mid-40's (prime age for boosterism) that probably didn't attend more than a handful of games while they were on campus, and likely haven't attended nearly any since graduation.

Finding ways to bring in the prodigal Ags without upsetting the dedicated fans is something that I believe the AD is unequipped to do in its present configuration. The majority of activity from the ticket office and AD in general centers around retention of both current boosters and the student body on campus. So far, their only tool to bring in the casual or lost fan has been for the football team to be good, which is something they quite frankly can't control well enough to consider it reliable. Boosterism is definitely affected by winning, but much more by culture and community. There are plenty of ways to skin this cat, but you have to at least try some new ones out.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » January 20th, 2022, 8:23 am

Social Media Campaigns >>> Billboards
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post:
thegreendalegelf

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » January 20th, 2022, 9:00 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
January 20th, 2022, 8:23 am
For younger folks, sure. And I think the USU social team does a very good job of getting the students and young alumni involved, quite frankly. Perhaps Facebook could play the same role for older Aggies.

As for the key demographic (adults with money and/or children), I think USU really needs to focus on professional networks and relationship building. It is not a simple or quick process, which is likely why it hasn't been tried (or at least seen through).
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » January 20th, 2022, 9:14 am

Just one more data point for the ease (and enjoyment) of "the drive". I live in the southern portion of Sandy (about 110th South), it is exactly 98 miles from my doorstep to the center of campus. It takes almost exactly 1 and 1/2 hours to drive (going only a few miles per hour over the limit). As stated above that's comparable to a game day drive to either of the other schools. The scenery is much better and the stress level is almost non-existent when driving to USU.
These users thanked the author JSHarvey for the post:
Aggiefan33

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Full

Post by Full » January 20th, 2022, 10:53 am

I have very few experiences driving to Provo on game day. However, traffic is always terrible the times I have driven to Provo to watch the Aggies. I’d rather drive though the canyon in a snowstorm like tonight than try to go from Salt Lake to Provo on one of the Friday night games I’ve attended.
These users thanked the author Full for the post:
JSHarvey

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » January 20th, 2022, 10:59 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
January 20th, 2022, 9:00 am
ratofallaggies wrote:
January 20th, 2022, 8:23 am
For younger folks, sure. And I think the USU social team does a very good job of getting the students and young alumni involved, quite frankly. Perhaps Facebook could play the same role for older Aggies.

As for the key demographic (adults with money and/or children), I think USU really needs to focus on professional networks and relationship building. It is not a simple or quick process, which is likely why it hasn't been tried (or at least seen through).
Social media spreads across more generations than you'd think and can be more targeted than anything out there in the advertising realm. I do think that the football social media crew has done a better job this year than in the past, but there was close to no effort at all in the past. Take a look at Coach Odom's twitter for example, why isn't a D1 coach verified? Little things matter.

Great point, it is all encompassing. It all matters and you can't neglect one area of the process. Social Media, Billboards, TV, reaching out to Alumni/Local Business/Partnerships... make people/companies feel like it's their team and get creative in the process. Give people a reason to care because a lot really don't.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » January 20th, 2022, 11:32 am

Are there really people that choose which games they are going to based on ease of access? I live in Provo and would rather drive to the Spectrum than the Marriott Center. Sure the Marriott Center is 5 minutes from my house but I just don't care to watch BYU play.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 2):
USU78JSHarvey

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » January 20th, 2022, 1:12 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
January 20th, 2022, 8:16 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
January 20th, 2022, 3:41 am
People along the Wasatch Front are notorious for thinking that any drive over 20 minutes is "far." I don't want to say Utahns are a parochial bunch, but well....

I had a whole spiel written out about examples of Utah folks not traveling far from home, but I think this space is better used to say that if we want more people to buy season tickets, we have to find ways to bring them back into the fold after never having developed those habits during decades of sustained mediocrity. There are would-be boosters out there in their mid-40's (prime age for boosterism) that probably didn't attend more than a handful of games while they were on campus, and likely haven't attended nearly any since graduation.

Finding ways to bring in the prodigal Ags without upsetting the dedicated fans is something that I believe the AD is unequipped to do in its present configuration. The majority of activity from the ticket office and AD in general centers around retention of both current boosters and the student body on campus. So far, their only tool to bring in the casual or lost fan has been for the football team to be good, which is something they quite frankly can't control well enough to consider it reliable. Boosterism is definitely affected by winning, but much more by culture and community. There are plenty of ways to skin this cat, but you have to at least try some new ones out.

DEEPLY INSIGHTFUL YOUNGBLOOD. The bulk of the potential booster treasure is definitely along the Wasatch Front. Perhaps sometime in the future the blossom in Cache Valley may occur, just not yet.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

Full

Post by Full » January 20th, 2022, 1:28 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
January 20th, 2022, 11:32 am
Are there really people that choose which games they are going to based on ease of access? I live in Provo and would rather drive to the Spectrum than the Marriott Center. Sure the Marriott Center is 5 minutes from my house but I just don't care to watch BYU play.
I think it’s people choosing between staying home or going to the game. There is a gap between how long the journey to Logan seems, and the time it actually takes to drive to Logan.
These users thanked the author Full for the post:
JSHarvey

Locked Previous topicNext topic