USAToday gives USU football an A+

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
swordsman1989

USAToday gives USU football an A+

Post by swordsman1989 » January 13th, 2022, 1:46 am

USAToday came out with its final grades for every college football team this year. USU was one of seven programs to score an A+, joining Baylor, Cincinnati, Georgia, Michigan State, UTSA, and Wake Forest. San Diego State earned an A. Air Force and Utah both earned an A-. BYU and Fresno State earned a B+. The Donks earned a C+.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-car ... 13143.html
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyAggiesForever

Chatman

Re: USAToday gives USU football an A+

Post by Chatman » January 13th, 2022, 4:35 am

I’d give it an A. It’s tough to feel good enough about the season go get an A+ when you lose to BYU and Boise.
These users thanked the author Chatman for the post (total 6):
aggies22BigBlueDartgomretatJSHarveyBLUERUFiOIdaAg93

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » January 13th, 2022, 5:56 am

Chatman wrote:
January 13th, 2022, 4:35 am
I’d give it an A. It’s tough to feel good enough about the season go get an A+ when you lose to BYU and Boise.
Given last season and pre-season expectations, but ending up with 11 wins, a conference title, two P5 wins, a bowl win, and a top 25 ranking, I think it is a good grade.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post:
thegreendalegelf

Chatman

Post by Chatman » January 13th, 2022, 8:08 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
January 13th, 2022, 5:56 am
Chatman wrote:
January 13th, 2022, 4:35 am
Given last season and pre-season expectations, but ending up with 11 wins, a conference title, two P5 wins, a bowl win, and a top 25 ranking, I think it is a good grade.
Yea incredible season. I’m just pointing out that an A+ season in my mind would need to include beating those rivals and also doing better than 3-3 at home.
These users thanked the author Chatman for the post:
JSHarvey

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 13th, 2022, 8:15 am

I'll give it an A+.
I felt that 6-6 would have been a great year for Anderson, and so 11-3 with a conference championship banner and a LA Bowl victory is nothing short of miraculous.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
IdaAg93

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 13th, 2022, 8:35 am

Just an A+??

(I can't express myself without swearing) national media screws us again!!
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 3):
Slim80AggiePTViAggie

Chatman

Post by Chatman » January 13th, 2022, 8:38 am

I’ll be controversial for a minute. The grade actually cheapens the program suggesting this is the ceiling or best it can do. I don’t believe that. An A+ would be a one loss season, beating rivals and being in a NY6 bowl. That’s the ceiling.
These users thanked the author Chatman for the post:
JSHarvey

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 13th, 2022, 9:13 am

Based on the criteria of the article, I think an A+ is absolutely correct. I also would give us an A+, not because I think it is our ceiling, but because I think we far exceeded my expectations for this season. We had a brand new staff. We had a terrible 2020 campaign (even gave up at the end). 2019 wasn't much better. 2021 was an A+ year for sure. Of course, my expectations will now be higher for next year and a repeat performance may only garner an A- or B+. We need to win in-state and we need to start beating Boise more consistently. We should be beating them at home every time and competing on the road with the occasional win.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
AggiePTAggiesForever

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 13th, 2022, 9:25 am

If the criteria were a bell curve, we wouldn't have even been on the chart.

HomeTown

Post by HomeTown » January 13th, 2022, 10:30 am

Chatman wrote:
January 13th, 2022, 8:38 am
I’ll be controversial for a minute. The grade actually cheapens the program suggesting this is the ceiling or best it can do. I don’t believe that. An A+ would be a one loss season, beating rivals and being in a NY6 bowl. That’s the ceiling.
In my opinion, A+ doesn't mean ceiling, but only refers to the results compared to expectations or program averages. Before the season, I would have been ecstatic with 8 wins and satisfied with 6. Dreaming of 11 wins in August was just unthinkable, but that's what they accomplished! It's an A+ from me for sure.
These users thanked the author HomeTown for the post:
AggiePT

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 13th, 2022, 10:39 am

Obviously these grades aren't based on statistics or the strength of the teams we lost to. HOWEVER, all three loses were to teams with a winning record and teams who made bowl games going 1-1 (bozo bowed out). So not bad, I'd give us an A-, solid A would have been a one loss season. A+ should be reserved for no losses. BUT beating two PAC12 schools on the road and spanking a 19th ranked team, also on the road, should account for something.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » January 13th, 2022, 12:57 pm

ViAggie wrote:
January 13th, 2022, 10:39 am
Obviously these grades aren't based on statistics or the strength of the teams we lost to. HOWEVER, all three loses were to teams with a winning record and teams who made bowl games going 1-1 (bozo bowed out). So not bad, I'd give us an A-, solid A would have been a one loss season. A+ should be reserved for no losses. BUT beating two PAC12 schools on the road and spanking a 19th ranked team, also on the road, should account for something.
I tend to agree. Grading against expectations I can see a very high grade (A or A+).
Grading against criteria then an A- grade seems to fit. The three losses (particularly Wyoming) were simply painful compared to the rest of the year and would suggest a grade lower than A- is appropriate, but the Conference Championship, the major bowl win, and beating two P5 teams bump the grade up dramatically.

Regardless of the grade I'm thrilled with the season - and while I'm looking forward to next year I am wondering how does the team live up to the much higher expectations that naturally follow a year like this one?

In any event, GO AGGIES!!!!!! :-)

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » January 13th, 2022, 3:57 pm

Chatman wrote:
January 13th, 2022, 8:38 am
Spot on.

Locked Previous topicNext topic