Whoa?!?!? Welcome Levi Williams?!?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ViAggie

Re: Whoa?!?!? Welcome Levi Williams?!?

Post by ViAggie » January 4th, 2022, 11:19 am

ThunderAggie wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 11:03 am
Levi Williams proposed to his girlfriend yesterday. She said yes for those wondering. :lol:
Good for them, that's great. I'm thrilled to have anyone on the team who the coaches want and are willing to stick around to make a contribution, we've got a good thing going, lets keep it moving!

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 4th, 2022, 11:26 am

Hoot wrote:
January 2nd, 2022, 4:49 pm
BioAggie wrote:
January 2nd, 2022, 12:28 pm
To me (and it’s an educated opinion because I went to USU) Bonner was only mediocre QBs. DT was the saving grace for Bonner. Way too many under thrown or over thrown balls that DT had to make a spectacular play to go out and get.

Peasley had his shots and chances, but also in my opinion, he tried to do too much and would throw his interceptions because he thought he HAD to make a spectacular ply to get more playing time. There were probably politics involved which gave him a shorter leash then Bonner had. Peasley should have just gone out and played smart instead of trying to play hero ball.

Competition is good, if you think you should be the starter, go play like you are the starter. I look forward to Levi competing and making our QB position better.
I agree. Let’s ignore his record breaking season and all the other receivers he threw to. No good QB on planet earth ever gets bailed out by their receivers. If only someone on the sideline had leaned into Peasley’ dear in the sideline and said “Play smarter.” I’m sure that would’ve fixed all his issues and he’d have won the Heisman.
I saw some moronic Twitter argument that Jerry Rice was only good because he had Joe Montana, Steve Young and Rich Gannon throwing to him.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Hoot

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 4th, 2022, 11:48 am

ViAggie wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 11:19 am
ThunderAggie wrote:
Levi Williams proposed to his girlfriend yesterday. She said yes for those wondering. :lol:
Good for them, that's great. I'm thrilled to have anyone on the team who the coaches want and are willing to stick around to make a contribution, we've got a good thing going, lets keep it moving!
The girl didn’t have a damn thing to do with it, guys.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
2004AGViAggieBLUERUFiO

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » January 4th, 2022, 11:59 am

GrandPoubah wrote:
January 1st, 2022, 4:57 pm
GeoAg wrote:
December 31st, 2021, 1:24 pm
Aggiefan2020 wrote:
December 31st, 2021, 1:11 pm
Too bad for this kid talented qb but will only see the field but a couples times with Coaches first born son there.... with the loss of most the wr core i see a .500 season next year
Can it. So tired of this garbage.

Let me guess, you would have been a big star in high school but the coach didn't like you.
Look, I get that no one wants to be a downer on such a great year for the team.

However, I totally understand the comment here...there are "politics" and favoritism with every football team, outside of maybe some youth teams.

What showed it me this year was the bowl game. You have a qb whom had never has thrown a pass prior to the game, playing well nearly all game.....then there was some presnap confusion which forced a timeout and Blake nearly lost his mind. Throwing his arms and yelling. It seemed to be directed at Legas and I'm hope I'm wrong, but the first thing that went through my mind is why the heck is he yelling at this young qb. He would have given the first born (said in jest) a giant hug.

I'm a big believer in Bonner and think he was by far our best qb, but sometimes loyalties go further than ability in sports.
I think you are talking about the end of the game where we were trying to run the clock out. Anderson was right to be upset. As Aggie fans, we've been on the wrong side of timeout calls in critical situations way too many times.

Think how lucky we are to finally have a coach who understands and can make the correct end of game decisions.

Sure his frustration was directed at Legas, but to think he wouldn't have reacted the same way if Bonner was in there is just as crazy as thinking Peasly didn't play because of favoritism.

Doesn't anyone remember that Anderson had Bonner and Peasley split offensive series early in the season? That went on until Bonner was the clear starter.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post (total 2):
aggies22vegasaggie

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » January 4th, 2022, 12:42 pm

I watched some game film of Levi before we played them. He was impressive. He played better in the game I watched than he did against us. I think the decision he made to come to USU was exactly what he said. The offense we run is a really good fit for him to showcase his skills. No more no less.

This signing is further evidence that we have a really great group of coaches who are only interested in fielding the best team possible. You do that by having competition at every position.

Bonner was our starting QB, and in the pro's you don't lose your position due to injury. Gotta figure Anderson will follow that unwritten rule. If Bonner comes back next season, he deserves to be the starter until his performance, or one of our backup QB's performance forces a change.

But.......Imagine our QB being multi-dimensional. The defense having to account for a QB who can make plays with his feet. Think about how much that helps our offensive line. Think about how much that helps out RB's. Think about how much that helps our short yardage game. Ball control helps our defense.....

Already drinking the Kool-Aid. It's nice and cold. Join me!
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post (total 4):
ViAggieAussieAggieDadvegasaggiePIGSKINAGGIE

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » January 4th, 2022, 1:47 pm

El Sapo wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 12:42 pm
I watched some game film of Levi before we played them. He was impressive. He played better in the game I watched than he did against us. I think the decision he made to come to USU was exactly what he said. The offense we run is a really good fit for him to showcase his skills. No more no less.

This signing is further evidence that we have a really great group of coaches who are only interested in fielding the best team possible. You do that by having competition at every position.

Bonner was our starting QB, and in the pro's you don't lose your position due to injury. Gotta figure Anderson will follow that unwritten rule. If Bonner comes back next season, he deserves to be the starter until his performance, or one of our backup QB's performance forces a change.

But.......Imagine our QB being multi-dimensional. The defense having to account for a QB who can make plays with his feet. Think about how much that helps our offensive line. Think about how much that helps out RB's. Think about how much that helps our short yardage game. Ball control helps our defense.....

Maybe, but how MUCH better does Levi have to be to beat out Bonner? Bonner is Anderson's guy, so Levi would have to be drastically better, which is a high bar considering how well Bonner played last year.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 4th, 2022, 2:02 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 1:47 pm
El Sapo wrote:

Maybe, but how MUCH better does Levi have to be to beat out Bonner? Bonner is Anderson's guy, so Levi would have to be drastically better, which is a high bar considering how well Bonner played last year.
Talent in all position groups is key to continue to build as a program. If Bonner is back and healthy it will be tough for Levi to beat Bonner out, but having talent in the back up groups is key to building a championship winning program. Certainly Levi is coming in knowing that he will have to compete for the job as it should be. Cooper and hopefully Bishop is in the mix as well. I am just so happy that we have a coaching staff that is not afraid to sign Levi knowing they already have a really talented group. I am happy that Levi wanted to do it as well.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
AussieAggieDad

cval

Post by cval » January 4th, 2022, 2:04 pm

I have noticed a few subtle suggestions on the board that there may be a question about Bonner's return from his injury. Any word on that? It has been eerily quiet.
These users thanked the author cval for the post:
Elkaggie

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » January 4th, 2022, 2:13 pm

cval wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 2:04 pm
I have noticed a few subtle suggestions on the board that there may be a question about Bonner's return from his injury. Any word on that? It has been eerily quiet.
Amen. It’s so weird that we haven’t anything.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 4th, 2022, 2:35 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
Did you at least cover the tip?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » January 4th, 2022, 2:43 pm

cval wrote:
I can’t say much but I guarantee you this. Either he comes back or he doesn’t.

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

BustaMcNutt

Post by BustaMcNutt » January 4th, 2022, 3:10 pm

They interviewed Blake on 1280 today. Said they were going to do testing to evaluate where Bonner’s knee is when he gets back up to school. They’ll decide then if it will continue to heal or if he needs surgery. He did say either way, he should be ready to go for his senior year this fall. I expect a good battle between Williams and Legas this spring with Bonner coaching/mentoring.

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » January 4th, 2022, 3:12 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 2:02 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

Talent in all position groups is key to continue to build as a program. If Bonner is back and healthy it will be tough for Levi to beat Bonner out, but having talent in the back up groups is key to building a championship winning program. Certainly Levi is coming in knowing that he will have to compete for the job as it should be. Cooper and hopefully Bishop is in the mix as well. I am just so happy that we have a coaching staff that is not afraid to sign Levi knowing they already have a really talented group. I am happy that Levi wanted to do it as well.
Looking in from the outside, I think most of us fans were scratching our heads a bit when this was announced. We are assuming Bonner will come back and be healthy. I don't remember when Peasley actually entered to portal, but it was at least a strong rumor before the end of the season. Once Peasley got injured we knew Legas would be the backup and when called upon he did a great job giving us something to look forward to in the post-Bonner days. Given the depth in the QB room, even by losing Peasley, we were set.

Adding Levi in could be very disruptive, something we have seen in the recent past with disastrous effects. Hopefully Anderson handled it internally much better than GA 2.0 (which should not be hard) so that adding Levi to the room is more about fueling competition and improving the team than being decisive and destructive. With the lack of Legas entering the portal (and I really hope he doesn't but sticks around and is a great QB at USU) or many other players entering the portal, I think that shows (1) Anderson has good control of the QB situation and the team as a whole and (2) the players trust and want to play for Anderson.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025PIGSKINAGGIE

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » January 4th, 2022, 3:46 pm

cval wrote:
Bonner played most of the season with a gimpy knee. After the loss to BYU. Anderson says Bonner had a knee injury, it's a "non-structural" injury. When Bonner left the Oregon State game Anderson said Bonner's knee was unstable.

My thinking is that IF Bonner needs knee surgery, he's going to need time to recover, and he could miss next season. That's an unacceptable option at this point in his career. So, Bonner is going to try to make a recovery w/o surgery. Coaches will give him the opportunity, but they also need a backup plan in case Bonner's knee doesn't fully recover.

Welcome Levi Williams!

Bonner might not be happy with that decision, but he understands, so does Legas.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post (total 3):
Elkaggieutahcountyaggievegasaggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 4th, 2022, 4:38 pm

El Sapo wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 3:46 pm
cval wrote:
Bonner played most of the season with a gimpy knee. After the loss to BYU. Anderson says Bonner had a knee injury, it's a "non-structural" injury. When Bonner left the Oregon State game Anderson said Bonner's knee was unstable.

My thinking is that IF Bonner needs knee surgery, he's going to need time to recover, and he could miss next season. That's an unacceptable option at this point in his career. So, Bonner is going to try to make a recovery w/o surgery. Coaches will give him the opportunity, but they also need a backup plan in case Bonner's knee doesn't fully recover.

Welcome Levi Williams!

Bonner might not be happy with that decision, but he understands, so does Legas.
Lets hope at worst it's only a minor injury, like at worst an MCL. Fingers X'd that's the case.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 4th, 2022, 5:12 pm

Hoot wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 2:43 pm
cval wrote:
I can guarantee you he comes back.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
AggieFBObsessionHootViAggie

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » January 4th, 2022, 5:25 pm

Hoot wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 2:43 pm
cval wrote:
These users thanked the author AGNUMPI for the post (total 2):
aggies22Hoot

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 5th, 2022, 3:27 pm

bwcrc wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 3:12 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

Looking in from the outside, I think most of us fans were scratching our heads a bit when this was announced. We are assuming Bonner will come back and be healthy. I don't remember when Peasley actually entered to portal, but it was at least a strong rumor before the end of the season. Once Peasley got injured we knew Legas would be the backup and when called upon he did a great job giving us something to look forward to in the post-Bonner days. Given the depth in the QB room, even by losing Peasley, we were set.

Adding Levi in could be very disruptive, something we have seen in the recent past with disastrous effects. Hopefully Anderson handled it internally much better than GA 2.0 (which should not be hard) so that adding Levi to the room is more about fueling competition and improving the team than being decisive and destructive. With the lack of Legas entering the portal (and I really hope he doesn't but sticks around and is a great QB at USU) or many other players entering the portal, I think that shows (1) Anderson has good control of the QB situation and the team as a whole and (2) the players trust and want to play for Anderson.
Adding Levi Williams immediately following the season is materially different than adding Jason Shelley right before the season, but I understand what you are saying here. Doing what GA did was astronomically stupid and unfair mostly because of timing. It was unfair to pull the rug out from Colombi without any time to allow him to transfer into an open scholarship (he had to walk-on at TTU) and unfair to the team that had been building rapport with Colombi and expected him to be their QB1.

I err on the side of thinking Levi Williams is too talented a player to pass up if he falls in your lap, especially with the eligibility he has left, and especially where it leaves plenty of time for other players on the roster to transfer if that’s what they want to do.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 5th, 2022, 3:38 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 5th, 2022, 3:27 pm
bwcrc wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 3:12 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

Adding Levi Williams immediately following the season is materially different than adding Jason Shelley right before the season, but I understand what you are saying here. Doing what GA did was astronomically stupid and unfair mostly because of timing. It was unfair to pull the rug out from Colombi without any time to allow him to transfer into an open scholarship (he had to walk-on at TTU) and unfair to the team that had been building rapport with Colombi and expected him to be their QB1.

I err on the side of thinking Levi Williams is too talented a player to pass up if he falls in your lap, especially with the eligibility he has left, and especially where it leaves plenty of time for other players on the roster to transfer if that’s what they want to do.
Good QB who just kicked your teams a$$: Hey guys I know I just traveled here and kicked your a$$ pretty bad, but I really like it here, can I stay and play for you guys? You've seen what I can do!

US: Scram kid get lost, we're loaded at QB can't you see!

Good QB who just kicked your teams a$$: Awe gee willikers that's too bad, I guess I'll take my talents elsewhere, I bet my talented GF who plays volleyball for your school likely follow me, she seems to like me a lot!

US: Sure kid what ever, take your talented GF and scram, get lost!

LOL not a likely scenario. More like "SURE KID WELCOME ABORD!"

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 5th, 2022, 3:42 pm

I’ll note that Levi is rated as a 4-star recruit as a transfer.

In this class, we have three transfers that are or were rated as 4 star recruits at one point or another. In all of USU history combined prior to this year, there was 1.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
ViAggieaggies22

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 5th, 2022, 3:48 pm

El Sapo wrote:

Sometimes having a multi-dimensional (running/throwing) makes it more difficult for the offensive line, rather than less difficult. When they don't know if a QB is going to take off and run or just step up closer to the line of scrimmage, it adds the potential for illegal receiver downfield calls. It has to be very difficult for an offensive lineman to judge when to take off and block downfield or when to stay and block at the LOS.

I agree, though, a QB that can run is certainly a nice weapon to have.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
El Sapo

Eutaw St. Aggie

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » January 5th, 2022, 4:52 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 5th, 2022, 3:48 pm
El Sapo wrote:

Sometimes having a multi-dimensional (running/throwing) makes it more difficult for the offensive line, rather than less difficult. When they don't know if a QB is going to take off and run or just step up closer to the line of scrimmage, it adds the potential for illegal receiver downfield calls. It has to be very difficult for an offensive lineman to judge when to take off and block downfield or when to stay and block at the LOS.

I agree, though, a QB that can run is certainly a nice weapon to have.
[/quote

I don't know about that. On a pass down the lineman aren't going to get downfield because they are retreating and pass blocking and the QB is going to be at LOS before they are. Occasionally, a lineman that ends up unoccupied maybe and wanders a bit. Its screens and RPOs where that sometimes becomes an issue.

At the college level its not just a nice weapon to have but its a game changer. That is why I was so hopeful for Peasley before Bonner stole the show. And Levi has size to go along with that and a much better arm. I don't think he'll start over Bonner but with Bonner's style of play I think he plays a significant role next year and could be a star in this system.

Locked Previous topicNext topic