Covid problems for SDSU

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Sl7vk

Covid problems for SDSU

Post by Sl7vk » December 2nd, 2021, 8:21 am

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sp ... brady-hoke

Interesting turn of events....

COVID concerns for Aztecs heading into Mountain West title game

BY KIRK KENNEY
DEC. 1, 2021 UPDATED 8:41 PM PT
San Diego State starting quarterback Lucas Johnson returned to practice this week, but backup quarterback Jordon Brookshire is expected to start Saturday’s Mountain West championship game against Utah State.

The Aztecs, however, might be dealing with more than who will be taking the snaps from center. On Wednesday afternoon, multiple sources, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said at least one of the team’s tight ends tested positive for COVID and there was concern other players at that position and elsewhere on the team could be sidelined because of COVID protocols.

Multiple phone and text messages to several SDSU officials regarding the situation were not returned.

A spokesman from the Mountain West office said Wednesday night the conference was not aware of any issues within the SDSU program.

Last Friday, when Brookshire rallied the Aztecs from a 13-point deficit to a 27-16 win against Boise State after Johnson suffered a right knee injury, two Aztecs were unavailable due to COVID protocol, according to multiple sources. One was backup quarterback Will Haskell; the other was Jack Browning, the holder for place-kicks.

Haskell, a true freshman, had moved up the depth chart after arriving in fall camp as No. 4. He was elevated to backup QB two months ago, but he reportedly was not at the stadium for Friday’s game.

“Not involved today,” is how head coach Brady Hoke put it after the game.

SDSU’s policy during the pandemic has been not to comment in such situations.

Blazing New Trails in Drug Discovery at Bristol Myers Squibb PAID CONTENT
Blazing New Trails in Drug Discovery at Bristol Myers Squibb
By Bristol Myers Squibb
Imagining the future of medicine and healthcare is one thing, evolving those ideas from science fiction to science reality is quite another. But that’s exactly what the Bristol Myers Squibb (BMS) Research & Development site in San Diego is...

Hoke was asked Monday about COVID protocol issues within the program: Is there something going on there and are there concerns going forward?

“Nope,” Hoke said.

None at all?

“Not that I’m going to talk about,” he said.

Any other guys that you might expect to be missing this week for any other reasons?

“Not that I’m going to talk about,” Hoke said.

Missing Tuesday’s practice, in addition to Haskell, were Browning, wide receiver Tyrell Shavers and offensive lineman Desmond Bessent. Information on Wednesday’s practice was unavailable; only portions of practice Monday and Tuesday are open to media.

Shavers, who had two catches for 27 yards against the Broncos, and Bessent both played against Boise State, so their absence could be injury-related. But that’s another topic Hoke does not discuss.

With Browning out of the lineup, sophomore kicker David Delgado did the holding for placekicker Matt Araiza, who missed two of his four field-goal attempts.

Asked if he expects Browning back this week to hold, Hoke said, “Right now it’s the same.”

SDSU’s depth chart this week against Utah State lists Johnson OR Brookshire as the starter, with Haskell third.

Johnson and Haskell both missed Monday’s practice and Haskell was still absent Tuesday when Johnson returned.

Hoke said during a midday news conference Monday that Johnson would not be full go that day.

“But I’m not going to say he won’t be by Saturday,” Hoke said. “We’re just taking some good precautions with him. Feel good about Jordon right now, obviously, and we’ll just wait and see what happens.”

Fourth-string quarterback Jalen Mayden shared reps with Brookshire on Monday. Brookshire, Johnson and Mayden took turns Tuesday.

Johnson wore a heavy-duty brace from thigh to calf to protect his right knee. The brace impacted Johnson’s gait as he jogged onto the field for practice, and he appeared to be favoring his right leg during a throwing drill early in practice.

Typically, the player who is most able to practice throughout the week — regardless of position — is the one who starts.

Asked if that pointed toward Brookshire as the starter, Hoke said, “I think it would be more that way, yes.”

Brookshire started the first three games of the season before suffering an ankle injury that gave an opportunity to Johnson, who started the last nine games of the regular season.

Against Boise State, Brookshire completed 11 of 15 passes for 192 yards after entering the game with three minutes remaining in the first quarter. He guided SDSU to four scoring drives that produced a field goal and three touchdowns, including a 29-yard pass to wide receiver Jesse Matthews and a 16-yard scoring run on a keeper.

If Johnson is not available, even in a backup role, the next man up could be Mayden, the Mississippi State transfer who has not played a snap this season.

Updates
Last edited by Sl7vk on December 2nd, 2021, 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

agster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Covid problems for SDSU

Post by agster » December 2nd, 2021, 8:25 am

copy and paste the article please

Aggiefan160

Post by Aggiefan160 » December 2nd, 2021, 8:29 am

agster wrote:
December 2nd, 2021, 8:25 am
article is very light on new facts. The main point of the article is below:

"On Wednesday afternoon, multiple sources, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said at least one of the team’s tight ends tested positive for COVID and there was concern other players at that position and elsewhere on the team could be sidelined because of COVID protocols."

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 2nd, 2021, 8:47 am

BOOO! We want a fair fight, and we don't want this game canceled, even if it does mean we're MWC champs, we want to win fair and square! No excuses, no regurts!
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 3):
trombone_ninjaaggies22IBleedAggieBlue

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 2nd, 2021, 9:16 am

Aggiefan160 wrote:
December 2nd, 2021, 8:29 am
agster wrote:
December 2nd, 2021, 8:25 am
article is very light on new facts. The main point of the article is below:

"On Wednesday afternoon, multiple sources, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said at least one of the team’s tight ends tested positive for COVID and there was concern other players at that position and elsewhere on the team could be sidelined because of COVID protocols."
I wonder if Cam Thomas ever hangs out with the TE group :)

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 2nd, 2021, 9:44 am

I don't wish ill will or sickness on anyone. That being said any advantage USU can get I will take.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyViAggie

rAggie

Post by rAggie » December 2nd, 2021, 9:57 am

Sounds to me like SDSU is softening the battlefield for some excuses.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post (total 3):
Aggie84025IBleedAggieBlueViAggie

Showing my True Colors since 2022

IBleedAggieBlue

Post by IBleedAggieBlue » December 2nd, 2021, 10:57 am

My daughter, wife and me all got COVID over the Thanksgiving holiday and it sucks!! Still can't taste or smell. Wouldn't wish it on anyone. It's quite frankly a miracle that the Aggies or anyone else in the MW didn't suffer a single setback due to COVID. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that a single game was forfeited due to COVID?

Hopefully the championship is safe.
These users thanked the author IBleedAggieBlue for the post:
ViAggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 2nd, 2021, 11:23 am

IBleedAggieBlue wrote:
December 2nd, 2021, 10:57 am
My daughter, wife and me all got COVID over the Thanksgiving holiday and it sucks!! Still can't taste or smell. Wouldn't wish it on anyone. It's quite frankly a miracle that the Aggies or anyone else in the MW didn't suffer a single setback due to COVID. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that a single game was forfeited due to COVID?

None in the MWC. USC and Cal postponed their game until this weekend due to COVID.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » December 2nd, 2021, 11:54 am

I'm a rat on this issue, but fingers crossed SDSU loses some key folks. Just like Rogers (Green Bay) much (but not all) of this would be self-inflicted.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » December 2nd, 2021, 1:38 pm

JSHarvey wrote:I'm a rat on this issue, but fingers crossed SDSU loses some key folks. Just like Rogers (Green Bay) much (but not all) of this would be self-inflicted.
They should be able to withstand a few keys guys out. They have like 8 times as many all conference guys on the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LKGates

Post by LKGates » December 2nd, 2021, 2:31 pm

ViAggie wrote:
December 2nd, 2021, 8:47 am
BOOO! We want a fair fight, and we don't want this game canceled, even if it does mean we're MWC champs, we want to win fair and square! No excuses, no regurts*!
I can't believe you misspelled "ragrets". :roll:
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post:
ViAggie

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 2nd, 2021, 3:24 pm

LKGates wrote:
December 2nd, 2021, 2:31 pm
ViAggie wrote:
December 2nd, 2021, 8:47 am
BOOO! We want a fair fight, and we don't want this game canceled, even if it does mean we're MWC champs, we want to win fair and square! No excuses, no regurts*!
I can't believe you misspelled "ragrets". :roll:
Dude... like... bra! :)

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » December 3rd, 2021, 8:30 am

IBleedAggieBlue wrote:

I believe most/all players are vaccinated and are tested regularly. We have had some players remain home for protocol reason I believe. Our teams are a better example of how to minimize Covid than our general population.
These users thanked the author Agezzz for the post (total 3):
Sl7vkViAggieAggieFBObsession

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 3rd, 2021, 12:31 pm

Agezzz wrote:
December 3rd, 2021, 8:30 am
IBleedAggieBlue wrote:

I believe most/all players are vaccinated and are tested regularly. We have had some players remain home for protocol reason I believe. Our teams are a better example of how to minimize Covid than our general population.
The NCAA suggested vaccination, California requires it though, as of Nov 23

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 3rd, 2021, 7:54 pm

I am not above being happy about a conference championship no matter what the terms are.

coolag

Post by coolag » December 3rd, 2021, 8:27 pm

Agezzz wrote:
December 3rd, 2021, 8:30 am
IBleedAggieBlue wrote:

Yes because the general population has the luxury to get tested regularly. And it's not like people are out trying to infect other people knowingly. I guess we should call that athlete privilege. But nice dig at the world. Get poked? Yes. Tested all the time. Nope.

Regulator of Class

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » December 4th, 2021, 2:08 pm

Did I hear the announcers say SDST has 20 players out?

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 4th, 2021, 2:41 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
December 4th, 2021, 2:08 pm
Did I hear the announcers say SDST has 20 players out?
Yes. They aren't all starters but it definitely affects them.

Locked Previous topicNext topic