Matt Wells

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
brian5562

Re: Matt Wells

Post by brian5562 » November 26th, 2021, 11:27 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
November 26th, 2021, 8:23 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
November 26th, 2021, 7:40 pm
CaptainChaos wrote:
November 26th, 2021, 7:21 pm
aggiesdidwhat wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
November 26th, 2021, 4:33 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
November 26th, 2021, 4:16 pm
taniataylor wrote:
November 26th, 2021, 3:39 pm
He might just be on staff next year. Whoooo knows?
Please no.
You can add me to the please no camp.
I don't know a lot of players. I met a handful of them. Never heard a single positive thing about wells. And the guys I met were all starters.... But..... That doesn't mean he's not a good coach. But I like thinking the coaches care about their players. They give a lot.

I don't know crap though, maybe they just missed GAv 1
I think most of Belichicks players hate him too… there are plenty of ways to win games and be a successful coach. I saw Wells grow a lot as a coach while he was here. I don’t think he’s the type of person that is incapable of learning and growing as a coach and as a person. Maybe he’s different as a coordinator and more likable, I dunno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry but I don’t think you can compare the pro game vs college IMO.
Agreed. We can’t pay players enough to make them tolerate unlikeable coaches. Blake brought in some very positive players coaches and the results speak for themselves. Wells was not liked or respected by his players.
You can’t please everyone. Wells is a straight shooter and not everyone is going to like that. The majority of the players that played for him at USU liked and respected him. You don’t have the success he had at USU without it.
These users thanked the author brian5562 for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieAggie formerly in Hawaii

bull

Post by bull » November 26th, 2021, 11:30 pm

I’m a big fans of Wells, but you just can’t poop and eat in the same place and have it work out. I could see him working for Hartwell but not for Blake.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 27th, 2021, 1:34 pm

There’s a link on Scotty G Twitter to the interview. Great listen.

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » November 27th, 2021, 1:36 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 27th, 2021, 1:34 pm
There’s a link on Scotty G Twitter to the interview. Great listen.
https://content.production.cdn.art19.co ... LFTIME.mp3

bigbluebaby

Post by bigbluebaby » November 27th, 2021, 3:04 pm

Matt is a great guy.
And Jen and his family are great people.
Those who say otherwise don’t know them.
He is an Aggie for life he played here and graduated from USU.
Why would you think he isn’t?
He and his brother have lots of recruiting ties in the Midwest and Texas and they are good recruiters.
We were ranked 3 times in the wells era?
Who was the last coach before him who did that?
You guys who are carrying an axe to grind around need to look at the facts.
We had some really good years when he was here.
Our current coach Andersen is a good friend with the Wells family.
I think it would be great to get an Aggie back here with P5 head coaching experience , why would you not want that?
These users thanked the author bigbluebaby for the post (total 12):
AngusAgsockpuppetPNW_Aggieaggies22AhbyevegasaggieTurtlePIGSKINAGGIE3rdGenAggienewtonianblue and 2 more users

"So your saying I got a chance ??!!"

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 27th, 2021, 3:18 pm

I would step into business partnerships with close friends with caution. If Anderson and Wells are close friends, i would hate to see it spoiled. What happens when things don't go right on the field and Anderson gets prseeure from above has to start making the tough decision on firing staff? I'm sure every one in that business knows it's a business, but it doesn't make it any easier and it can strain a friendship.

I don't have a problem with Wells coming back. He had success here and is obviously an Aggie at heart. I would just hate to see a strain in a friendship if it didn't work out.
Last edited by Yossarian on November 27th, 2021, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
LKGates

Eutaw St. Aggie

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 27th, 2021, 3:22 pm

He said in interview he wants to get back to being a head coach. I doubt he comes back.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 27th, 2021, 3:47 pm

In an alternate universe where we don't have a second Gary stint, and instead, say promote Keith Patterson to head coach, only for that to be a disaster, we could justify a second Wells stint. But the reality is that the fan base is still traumatized from Gary 2.0 and the politics of a second Wells stint just wouldn't work out. Wells 2.0 would just be a tough sell to the fan base, especially the more casual portion.

This shortly after Wells, it would be awkward for the players to have him being an assistant, but maybe a few years down the road you could justify it. I would think though that he would at least get any G5 head job that opened up that he applied for.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
LKGates

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 27th, 2021, 4:12 pm

I'd be very hard pressed to see anyone at the G5 level hiring Wells without him going the coordinator route first.
I think his path back is as an OC for a P5 school.
If Anderson is smart, he won't have him on his staff based on what Yossarian mentioned, and the fact that it could call into question the leadership structure of the coaching staff. If Wells had that office, and now doesn't, it's structurally problematic.

Wells got a bit of a raw deal at TT, but he knew what he was doing when he signed the deal. Some here called it "generational wealth." I think being in the right place and happy is much more important than that, but I've never chased this notion of generational wealth either.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 27th, 2021, 4:12 pm

Speaking of MW, noticed that Tech damn near beat Baylor, but yea, fire Matt Wells. 6-6 not a bad season for Tech.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 27th, 2021, 4:19 pm

ViAggie wrote:
November 27th, 2021, 4:12 pm
Speaking of MW, noticed that Tech damn near beat Baylor, but yea, fire Matt Wells. 6-6 not a bad season for Tech.
Matt lost the fan base, and a lot of that was his fault. Lot's of poor losses, and the one against KState at Jones field sealed the deal for him. Since letting him go, they were able to beat Iowa State and give Baylor a run. I think he may have lost the players at some point this season as well.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 27th, 2021, 4:20 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
November 27th, 2021, 4:19 pm
ViAggie wrote:
Matt lost the fan base, and a lot of that was his fault. Lot's of poor losses, and the one against KState at Jones field sealed the deal for him. Since letting him go, they were able to beat Iowa State and give Baylor a run. I think he may have lost the players at some point this season as well.
The 2nd down field goal last year was a major blow as well.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » November 27th, 2021, 4:52 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
November 26th, 2021, 8:23 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
November 26th, 2021, 7:40 pm
CaptainChaos wrote:
November 26th, 2021, 7:21 pm
aggiesdidwhat wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
November 26th, 2021, 4:33 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
November 26th, 2021, 4:16 pm
taniataylor wrote:
November 26th, 2021, 3:39 pm
He might just be on staff next year. Whoooo knows?
Please no.
You can add me to the please no camp.
I don't know a lot of players. I met a handful of them. Never heard a single positive thing about wells. And the guys I met were all starters.... But..... That doesn't mean he's not a good coach. But I like thinking the coaches care about their players. They give a lot.

I don't know crap though, maybe they just missed GAv 1
I think most of Belichicks players hate him too… there are plenty of ways to win games and be a successful coach. I saw Wells grow a lot as a coach while he was here. I don’t think he’s the type of person that is incapable of learning and growing as a coach and as a person. Maybe he’s different as a coordinator and more likable, I dunno.

Sorry but I don’t think you can compare the pro game vs college IMO.
Agreed. We can’t pay players enough to make them tolerate unlikeable coaches. Blake brought in some very positive players coaches and the results speak for themselves. Wells was not liked or respected by his players.
Is that right Tania?

I am under the impression that blanket statements concerning who likes or dislikes who in an organization are not
100% the same by any stretch.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » November 27th, 2021, 5:16 pm

aggies22 wrote:
November 26th, 2021, 4:25 pm
Matt Wells being on staff next year would not surprise me one bit.
If he doesn't get a head coach job I think he will be back here. The feeling among at least some other schools and coaches is Texas tech did Matt Wells dirty. ( which I think is true)

The OC here is a great job to have. Sooner or later you will get a chance. It is not hard to imagine our HC job being open in the next few years.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » November 27th, 2021, 5:18 pm

i love matt wells. he is a great dude. not sure about the coaching style, but he had great results here. i've heard the RUMINT both in this thread and before - and i have no opinion on it.

but i don't want him back here as a coach or staff assistant.

1. you can't go home again
2. the risk is too great that you'd have two head coaches, no matter what the titles say
These users thanked the author AndroidAggie for the post:
LKGates

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » November 27th, 2021, 5:21 pm

AndroidAggie wrote:
November 27th, 2021, 5:18 pm
i love matt wells. he is a great dude. not sure about the coaching style, but he had great results here. i've heard the RUMINT both in this thread and before - and i have no opinion on it.

but i don't want him back here as a coach or staff assistant.

1. you can't go home again
2. the risk is too great that you'd have two head coaches, no matter what the titles say
Interesting take.
Do you feel you can have a position coach who use to be a OC/DC ?

For the record if I was AD I would have concerns about rehire as HC. And even more so when John didn't hire Matt. But I am not the AD and John is much smarter than I am.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » November 27th, 2021, 5:39 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
November 27th, 2021, 5:21 pm

Interesting take.
Do you feel you can have a position coach who use to be a OC/DC ?

For the record if I was AD I would have concerns about rehire as HC. And even more so when John didn't hire Matt. But I am not the AD and John is much smarter than I am.
for sure! and, you can have a coordinator who used to be a head coach. imo, the risk lies in the existing relationships the potential coach has with the team: players, athletic department, the rest of the coaching staff, etc... the stronger those relationships, the more the risk of fracturing leadership.

at the first significant disagreement where blake "was wrong" and matt "was right" (like some missed recruit, or some in game decision blake made that resulted in the loss of the game and people know matt differed), then that little thought of "with matt as hc we don't don't lose that one" grows. unchecked, it'll split the team and the rest of the staff.

the same risk exists with disagreements on staff, but ostensibly you present a united front with the guy who hired you.

sooooo -- as long as this is truly blake's decision to control who is and isn't on his staff, and what role the staff member takes, then i'd be ok with it. but it's not something i'd do.

as for john hartwell... john hartwell could fill books - entire tomes - with things i don't know about successful strategies and tactics for the football program. and what he's forgotten could be sold as supplementary appendices. i could maybe write a 2 page pamphlet with crayon diagrams
Last edited by AndroidAggie on November 27th, 2021, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LKGates

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 27th, 2021, 6:02 pm

1- Brady Hoke 2.0 has worked out pretty well for SDSU. I don’t think you can make a blanket statement that it never works. It probably works as often as it doesn’t.

2- I love (sarcasm) how EVERY Matt Wells turns into a back and forth about whether he’s a good guy to jot.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » November 27th, 2021, 6:05 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
did he ever have the fanbase? Seems like there were plenty of unhappy fans when he was announced - most kept complaining the whole tenure.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 27th, 2021, 6:19 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
November 27th, 2021, 6:05 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
did he ever have the fanbase? Seems like there were plenty of unhappy fans when he was announced - most kept complaining the whole tenure.
You’re right about that.
With that said they showed up to the games for a while.
An empty Jones stadium forced the AD’s hand.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 27th, 2021, 6:49 pm

I couldn’t imagine being a Wells recruit (besides being nowhere near athletic enough) that then had Wells bounce back.

The guy sits in your home and tells you how great USU is and then once you commit f’n leaves for greener pastures. Or maybe they’d be glad he’s around again.

I’m not saying Wells is a bad guy or that he shouldn’t ever be around Usu again. It just seems like an interesting dynamic. It certainly didn’t seem to go over well with GA.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » November 27th, 2021, 7:31 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 27th, 2021, 6:02 pm
1- Brady Hoke 2.0 has worked out pretty well for SDSU. I don’t think you can make a blanket statement that it never works. It probably works as often as it doesn’t.

2- I love (sarcasm) how EVERY Matt Wells turns into a back and forth about whether he’s a good guy to jot.

re 1 - i'm too lazy to put effort into it but i bet it works less often than not. but yes, brady hoke has come home again. that's a good counter example. i wanna say bill snyder did pretty well in his second stint at kansas state, as well. so there's another counter example.

re 2 - sure, i guess. i'm not gonna get into a back and forth on wells' character or his grades as a head coach. for me, he receives high marks for both. others' mileage may vary. i'm ok with that.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 27th, 2021, 7:33 pm

LKGates wrote:Does Matt still own a home in Cache Valley? And I am not asking for the obvious reason.
No, I have new neighbors.

Hail Aggies!

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » November 27th, 2021, 7:35 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
November 27th, 2021, 7:33 pm
i think you mean 'roommates'
LKGates

Chatman

Post by Chatman » November 27th, 2021, 10:03 pm

One thing is certain. A Matt Wells 2.0 would be better than a Gary Andersen 2.0.

Could it happen someday?
These users thanked the author Chatman for the post:
JRA

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 27th, 2021, 10:18 pm

Chatman wrote:
November 27th, 2021, 10:03 pm
One thing is certain. A Matt Wells 2.0 would be better than a Gary Andersen 2.0.

Could it happen someday?
Some people thought Gary Andersen 2.0 would be better than Wells 1.0. All the talk about the players not liking Wells and would like Gary better, and making excuses for Oregon State being a dumpster fire program.

To show he's closer to his 2013 self, 2009 Gary and 2021 Blake than he is to 2019 Gary, he should prove it at a Sun Belt or FCS school as the head man.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » November 27th, 2021, 11:36 pm

Another point, and I don't pretend to know what's going on in his head, heck, I'm not sure what's going on in MY head half the time, but even though he's a true HEARTED Aggie, Matt is also an Oklahoma boy. I think that was half the appeal of going to Texas Tech. It was a Texas/Oklahoma gig; closer to home. Now that he has generational money, maybe he would want to wait for something in Oklahoma or Texas. I mean, he's an Aggie, but Oklahoma is home. Home can exert a pretty strong pull.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post:
JSHarvey

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 28th, 2021, 9:20 am

AndroidAggie wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
You’re confusing stories, Gary lived with me while his house was being remodeled after he bailed from OSU, and Matt was my neighbor in Hide Park whose wife puts raisins in potato salad.

These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Hail Aggies!

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 28th, 2021, 9:28 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
AndroidAggie wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
You’re confusing stories, Gary lived with me while his house was being remodeled after he bailed from OSU, and Matt was my neighbor in Hide Park whose wife puts raisins in potato salad.

And both opened and closed their hands in my face

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » November 28th, 2021, 11:34 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
November 28th, 2021, 9:20 am
AndroidAggie wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:

Oh yes! Thank you for setting me straight, kind sir.

ultramagnus

Post by ultramagnus » November 28th, 2021, 5:33 pm

Wells is on the short list of HC candidates for La. Tech.

These users thanked the author ultramagnus for the post (total 2):
aggies22FloridaAggie13

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 28th, 2021, 6:00 pm

ultramagnus wrote:
November 28th, 2021, 5:33 pm

I think that would be a good gig for him.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
FloridaAggie13Aggie formerly in HawaiiAGinNEIowaineptimusprime

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 28th, 2021, 6:23 pm

aggies22 wrote:
November 28th, 2021, 6:00 pm
ultramagnus wrote:

And la tech has a real chance to be a top dog in the new conference USA.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 28th, 2021, 7:56 pm

slcagg wrote:
November 28th, 2021, 6:23 pm
aggies22 wrote:
November 28th, 2021, 6:00 pm
ultramagnus wrote:

And la tech has a real chance to be a top dog in the new conference USA.
Good for him. He would do well there.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
FloridaAggie13

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » November 28th, 2021, 10:35 pm

Looks like Oklahoma is open. Maybe Wells can go home!

(The Sooner meltdown would be one for the ages.....)
These users thanked the author SeattleAg for the post (total 2):
stwinwardaggies22

Locked Previous topicNext topic