Three way tie?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieVoice
Has thanked: 0

Three way tie?

Post by AggieVoice » November 20th, 2021, 9:38 pm

For reference - anyone know the three way tie breakers and how It would shake out if us, Boise, and Air Force all
Ended with 2 losses?

ineptimusprime

Re: Three way tie?

Post by ineptimusprime » November 20th, 2021, 9:39 pm

Not us.

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » November 20th, 2021, 9:39 pm

We own tiebreaker over AF and BSU owns over us and AF owns or BSU - head to head

rAggie

Post by rAggie » November 20th, 2021, 9:47 pm

In a three way tie you go to division record, that drops us out. Then head to head, AF over Boise.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 20th, 2021, 9:49 pm

Usually have to pay double for that action, Cotton.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiImakeitrain

andytheaggie

Post by andytheaggie » November 20th, 2021, 9:50 pm

After head to head, I believe the next tie breaker is division record. Where we have two division losses, and AFA and BSU just have one, we would be eliminated. Then it goes back to head to head, which would give the nod to AFA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bigd23

Post by Bigd23 » November 20th, 2021, 10:43 pm

Forget the three-way tie. We need a Boise loss to San Diego State now. That creates a two-way tie that we win over Air Force.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bigd23 for the post:
USUMAE

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 20th, 2021, 11:27 pm

Below is from the MWC of how they would decide the division winner if their are 3 or more tied teams.

Tie Between Three or More Teams:
In the event of a percentage tie for a divisional championship between three or more teams, the following comparison
procedure shall be used until one or more teams gain an advantage:
a) Winning percentage in games played among the tied teams, including forfeits.
b) Winning percentage in games played against division opponents, including forfeits.
c) Winning percentage against the next highest‐placed team in the division (based upon the team’s record in all
games played in the Conference, including forfeits), proceeding through the division. (When comparing tied teams
against positions lower in the standings that are also tied, those lower‐tied positions shall be considered a single
position for the purposes of comparison.)
d) Winning percentage against common Conference opponents, including forfeits.
e) Highest CFP ranking (or the composite ofselected computer rankingsif neither team isranked in the CFP rankings)
following the final week of Conference regular‐season games.

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » November 20th, 2021, 11:30 pm

Bigd23 wrote:
November 20th, 2021, 10:43 pm
Forget the three-way tie. We need a Boise loss to San Diego State now. That creates a two-way tie that we win over Air Force.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Yup. Let's go San Diego and let's take care of business!

Also, should San Diego get a lead do post about it!

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 20th, 2021, 11:41 pm

So, I posted the whole tie breaking scenario below. If USU, AF and BSU all win next week am I thinking in that scenario that AF would be the division champion? Since we lose the division record, but BSU and AF would have the same record so it would then revert to the tie between 2 team scenario which would then favor AF since they won the head to head. Am i not understanding it correctly.

2021 MOUNTAIN WEST FOOTBALL DIVISIONAL CHAMPIONS TIEBREAKER
Divisional Champions. A divisional champion shall be the team with the highest winning percentage in all Conference
games, both inter‐divisional and intra‐divisional, in the division. (Adopted January 2013) [Note: A team ineligible under
NCAA or Mountain West rules for postseason (bowl) competition shall not compete in the Championship Game.]
a) Tie Games. A tie football game shall count as half‐a‐game won and half‐a‐game lost in the standings.

Tie Between Two Teams:
In the event of a percentage tie for a divisional championship between two teams, if one team was the winner of the
Conference game between the two teams (including a forfeit win), it shall be the divisional champion.
If no game was played between the two tied teams, or that game ended in a tie, the following comparison procedure shall
be used to break the tie:
a) Winning percentage in games played within the division, including forfeits.
b) Winning percentage against the next highest‐placed team in the division (based upon the team’s record in all
games played in the Conference, including forfeits), proceeding through the division.
c) Winning percentage against common Conference opponents.
d) Highest CFP ranking (or the composite of selected computer rankings if neither team is ranked in the CFP rankings)
e) Overall winning percentage against FBS opponents.
f) Coin toss.

Tie Between Three or More Teams:
In the event of a percentage tie for a divisional championship between three or more teams, the following comparison
procedure shall be used until one or more teams gain an advantage:
a) Winning percentage in games played among the tied teams, including forfeits.
b) Winning percentage in games played against division opponents, including forfeits.
c) Winning percentage against the next highest‐placed team in the division (based upon the team’s record in all
games played in the Conference, including forfeits), proceeding through the division. (When comparing tied teams
against positions lower in the standings that are also tied, those lower‐tied positions shall be considered a single
position for the purposes of comparison.)
d) Winning percentage against common Conference opponents, including forfeits.
e) Highest CFP ranking (or the composite of selected computer rankings if neither team is ranked in the CFP rankings)

If at any time during this analysis, any team(s) should gain an advantage over the other team(s) tied at that position, the
team(s) holding the advantage shall move forward in the tiebreaking process while the other team(s) are eliminated. If it
is reduced to a two‐team tie at any point, the process shall then revert to the beginning of the tie‐breaking procedures
(tie between two teams) and shall be applied (in order) until the two‐team tie is broken.
If one or more teams cannot play the entire Conference schedule in the Mountain or West Division, an alternative
tiebreaker will be used

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » November 21st, 2021, 11:08 am

I think I got this right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author tysteve20 for the post (total 2):
Aggie84025BobWilson

ronburgandee

Post by ronburgandee » November 21st, 2021, 11:20 am

What about SDSU and the west division? They have to win to make the title game, right? I am just hoping they are extra motivated.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 21st, 2021, 11:24 am

ronburgandee wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 11:20 am
What about SDSU and the west division? They have to win to make the title game, right? I am just hoping they are extra motivated.
They need to win or have Fresno lose. If Fresno wins on Thursday the Aztecs have to win on Friday or Fresno would be the division champion.

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » November 21st, 2021, 2:55 pm

tysteve20 wrote:Image
I think I got this right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for this!

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

stwinward

Post by stwinward » November 21st, 2021, 5:26 pm

Ironic, Boise has to have AFA loose to even have a chance. If AFA wins and USU wins, BSU is merely picking the division rep. Win and AFA is in. Lose and we're in. So as bad a position as we're in, I feel like Boise's is worse.

That chart is awesome.

Locked Previous topicNext topic