Wells Fired at TT

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Intermeddler
Posts: 2347
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 364 times
Been thanked: 394 times

Wells Fired at TT

Post by Intermeddler » October 25th, 2021, 11:28 am




Aggie_CEE
Posts: 293
Joined: September 7th, 2017, 11:32 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by Aggie_CEE » October 25th, 2021, 11:33 am

Wow, I thought that wasn't coming until the end of the season.



BeNo
Posts: 885
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:38 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 115 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by BeNo » October 25th, 2021, 11:35 am

with the earlier signing period you better know who your coach is now. late november/early december is too late.



User avatar
thegreendalegelf
Posts: 905
Joined: August 18th, 2017, 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 798 times
Been thanked: 267 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by thegreendalegelf » October 25th, 2021, 11:35 am

The only thing firing him now does it help his record. He would have gotten 4 more losses on his win-loss otherwise.



FloridaAggie13
Posts: 13183
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 1077 times
Been thanked: 407 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 25th, 2021, 11:36 am

Blowing the lead in last Saturday's game was his death knell. They completely puckered up in the 2nd half.



swordsman1989
Posts: 1351
Joined: December 26th, 2010, 8:43 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 306 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by swordsman1989 » October 25th, 2021, 11:44 am

I wonder if he regrets leaving USU. He got a nice paycheck at Texas Tech. But he probably could have stayed at USU for the long haul as long as he steadily won 6 to 8 games per season, with the occasional double digit win season, and occasional wins over BYU.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post (total 2):
thegreendalegelf3rdGenAggie



User avatar
thegreendalegelf
Posts: 905
Joined: August 18th, 2017, 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 798 times
Been thanked: 267 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by thegreendalegelf » October 25th, 2021, 11:45 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:44 am
I wonder if he regrets leaving USU. He got a nice paycheck at Texas Tech. But he probably could have stayed at USU for the long haul as long as he steadily won 6 to 8 games per season, with the occasional double digit win season, and occasional wins over BYU.
Don't give him or the Admin any ideas.
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post:
apo



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 9075
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 1789 times
Been thanked: 727 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 25th, 2021, 11:51 am

I view this as a win for Wells. He got paid, he'll likely have options for OC jobs, and he gets to move out of Lubbock, TX.

As far as TTU goes, this reply is from a Texas fan, but it certainly isn't wrong:

These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
JSHarvey


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie84025
Posts: 4607
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 232 times
Been thanked: 1699 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by Aggie84025 » October 25th, 2021, 11:56 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:51 am
I view this as a win for Wells. He got paid, he'll likely have options for OC jobs, and he gets to move out of Lubbock, TX.

As far as TTU goes, this reply is from a Texas fan, but it certainly isn't wrong:

Agree, he got a huge pay day and is set for life. He can now pick and choose where he wants to be an assistant in terms location etc. I will say this about TT, their expectations do not fit the reality of where they stand as a program.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
3rdGenAggie



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 12517
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 8886 times
Been thanked: 6131 times
Contact:

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by aggies22 » October 25th, 2021, 11:58 am

thegreendalegelf wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:45 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:44 am
I wonder if he regrets leaving USU. He got a nice paycheck at Texas Tech. But he probably could have stayed at USU for the long haul as long as he steadily won 6 to 8 games per season, with the occasional double digit win season, and occasional wins over BYU.
Don't give him or the Admin any ideas.
Matt and Blake are close friends.



AGGIEFIGHT
Posts: 643
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:46 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » October 25th, 2021, 11:59 am

Maybe he will follow Kingsberry and end up as a head coach in the NFL :) :)



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 6273
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 693 times
Been thanked: 1500 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 25th, 2021, 12:01 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:44 am
I wonder if he regrets leaving USU. He got a nice paycheck at Texas Tech. But he probably could have stayed at USU for the long haul as long as he steadily won 6 to 8 games per season, with the occasional double digit win season, and occasional wins over BYU.
Given that his bank account now has an extra '0' in it there that is guaranteed, I'll bet he doesn't regret it. I think some humility will be good for Wells too.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on October 25th, 2021, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyBLUERUFiO



User avatar
bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score
Posts: 2416
Joined: March 5th, 2015, 7:59 pm
Location: The suburbs of Lewiston
Has thanked: 198 times
Been thanked: 180 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by bigblue » October 25th, 2021, 12:02 pm

aggies22 wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:45 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:44 am
I wonder if he regrets leaving USU. He got a nice paycheck at Texas Tech. But he probably could have stayed at USU for the long haul as long as he steadily won 6 to 8 games per season, with the occasional double digit win season, and occasional wins over BYU.
Don't give him or the Admin any ideas.
Matt and Blake are close friends.
Matt was good for the program no matter what some think.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author bigblue for the post (total 7):
Aggie84025NowhereLandAggie3rdGenAggieAggieArmyJSHarveyaggieguy13FloridaAggie13


Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 9075
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 1789 times
Been thanked: 727 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 25th, 2021, 12:02 pm

aggies22 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:58 am
thegreendalegelf wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:45 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:44 am
I wonder if he regrets leaving USU. He got a nice paycheck at Texas Tech. But he probably could have stayed at USU for the long haul as long as he steadily won 6 to 8 games per season, with the occasional double digit win season, and occasional wins over BYU.
Don't give him or the Admin any ideas.
Matt and Blake are close friends.
I had the same thought. Would Wells want to come back as an assistant? Would we want him to? Could he handle being an assistant after being an HC here? Should the utter failure of GA 2.0 be considered if BA did want to hire Wells as an assistant?

Overall, the GA 2.0 is still to recent in my mind so I would be nervous about bringing Wells back in any capacity...but Wells is not GA so it wouldn't necessarily be fair to treat the situations as the same.


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 12517
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 8886 times
Been thanked: 6131 times
Contact:

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by aggies22 » October 25th, 2021, 12:19 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:02 pm
aggies22 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:58 am
thegreendalegelf wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:45 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:44 am
I wonder if he regrets leaving USU. He got a nice paycheck at Texas Tech. But he probably could have stayed at USU for the long haul as long as he steadily won 6 to 8 games per season, with the occasional double digit win season, and occasional wins over BYU.
Don't give him or the Admin any ideas.
Matt and Blake are close friends.
I had the same thought. Would Wells want to come back as an assistant? Would we want him to? Could he handle being an assistant after being an HC here? Should the utter failure of GA 2.0 be considered if BA did want to hire Wells as an assistant?

Overall, the GA 2.0 is still to recent in my mind so I would be nervous about bringing Wells back in any capacity...but Wells is not GA so it wouldn't necessarily be fair to treat the situations as the same.
I would say the two instances are no where near similar.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggiebluegrouse



slcagg
Posts: 9024
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 2381 times
Been thanked: 1754 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by slcagg » October 25th, 2021, 12:24 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:01 pm
swordsman1989 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:44 am
I wonder if he regrets leaving USU. He got a nice paycheck at Texas Tech. But he probably could have stayed at USU for the long haul as long as he steadily won 6 to 8 games per season, with the occasional double digit win season, and occasional wins over BYU.
Given that his bank account now has an extra '0' in it there that is guaranteed, I'll bet he doesn't regret it. I think some humility will be good for Wells too.
Matt made the right choice financially. Winning is never guaranteed wherever you are at. If people remember many wanted him fired at usu



User avatar
ratofallaggies
Posts: 3499
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:29 pm
Location: Farmington
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 305 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by ratofallaggies » October 25th, 2021, 12:25 pm

I would not be surprised to see Matt up in Logan before the end of the year in some sort of capacity.
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post (total 3):
aggies22slcaggcdaAg



hickaggie
Posts: 3472
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 373 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by hickaggie » October 25th, 2021, 12:26 pm

bigblue wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:02 pm
aggies22 wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:45 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:44 am
I wonder if he regrets leaving USU. He got a nice paycheck at Texas Tech. But he probably could have stayed at USU for the long haul as long as he steadily won 6 to 8 games per season, with the occasional double digit win season, and occasional wins over BYU.
Don't give him or the Admin any ideas.
Matt and Blake are close friends.
Matt was good for the program no matter what some think.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I am not agreeing or disagreeing on Matt's first tenure being good for the program. However, if I had to choose I'd much rather see him as a HC than an OC. Other than with Keeton with Daddy Sanford and when Hartwell forced him to hire Yost color me unimpressed. Not looking to see more bubble screens getting blown up followed by a hurry up no gain getting stuffed in A gap.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
apo



User avatar
AgMac
Posts: 2962
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:29 am
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 402 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by AgMac » October 25th, 2021, 12:27 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:44 am
I wonder if he regrets leaving USU. He got a nice paycheck at Texas Tech. But he probably could have stayed at USU for the long haul as long as he steadily won 6 to 8 games per season, with the occasional double digit win season, and occasional wins over BYU.
Nope. He doesn't.



User avatar
aggieguy13
Posts: 1134
Joined: December 1st, 2010, 7:51 pm
Has thanked: 570 times
Been thanked: 314 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by aggieguy13 » October 25th, 2021, 12:43 pm

They could barely finish above .500 when they had an NFL coach and Patrick Mahomes running the show, but yeah, I'm sure the next coach will be the one to take them to the promised land. Lol.
These users thanked the author aggieguy13 for the post (total 4):
bigblue323rdGenAggieJSHarveyLKGates



bigblue32
Posts: 219
Joined: December 16th, 2012, 1:51 pm
Location: Sacramento CA
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by bigblue32 » October 25th, 2021, 12:49 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:43 pm
They could barely finish above .500 when they had an NFL coach and Patrick Mahomes running the show, but yeah, I'm sure the next coach will be the one to take them to the promised land. Lol.
EXACTLY. I realize Wells has his flaws but my goodness. What does TT think they’re supposed to be as a program?

Good luck tech lol



User avatar
BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score
Posts: 8444
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:57 am
Location: Syracuse, UT
Has thanked: 110 times
Been thanked: 503 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by BigBlueDart » October 25th, 2021, 12:51 pm

It seems the fanbase didn't like Wells as the hire in the first place. I don't think he regrets going, though, especially with as fickle as our fanbase can be, too. There were absolutely no guarantees about how things would have gone for him had he stayed.



Imakeitrain
Posts: 9283
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 303 times
Been thanked: 672 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by Imakeitrain » October 25th, 2021, 12:51 pm

Sorry y’all but I would take millions of dollars to not work for USU in a heartbeat. 0 reason to regret making millions and millions of dollars. What happened after Matt left was Gary’s fault.

There are also plenty of coaches recently fired around the country some for non-football issues others fired prematurely in my opinion, that can take over at TT.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyBLUERUFiO


“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

Yossarian
Posts: 6088
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 153 times
Been thanked: 1251 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by Yossarian » October 25th, 2021, 12:52 pm

If Texas Tech thinks they are going to ever be a major player in college football, they had better check themselves for sanity. It may be a little easier for them to compete in the new, watered down Big XII, but they are not much more than a Mountain West team on the national scene. They have ridden the coattails of Texas, TAMU, and Oklahoma for a lot of years and that has given them some sense of worth. They won't find anybody better than Wells to take that job and whoever they get, the best they will get is a 9 win season every once in a while.



User avatar
CaptainChaos
Posts: 1215
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:58 am
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 154 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by CaptainChaos » October 25th, 2021, 12:55 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:I would not be surprised to see Matt up in Logan before the end of the year in some sort of capacity.
I think this would be awesome! It’d be great to have some additional perspective. I know that the speculation was that Wells would meddle in the offense but maybe he also learned some things from Yost that he could pass along.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
trombone_ninja
Posts: 1283
Joined: November 24th, 2013, 1:59 pm
Location: Kaysville, UT
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 163 times
Contact:

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by trombone_ninja » October 25th, 2021, 12:55 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:02 pm
aggies22 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:58 am
thegreendalegelf wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:45 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:44 am
I wonder if he regrets leaving USU. He got a nice paycheck at Texas Tech. But he probably could have stayed at USU for the long haul as long as he steadily won 6 to 8 games per season, with the occasional double digit win season, and occasional wins over BYU.
Don't give him or the Admin any ideas.
Matt and Blake are close friends.
I had the same thought. Would Wells want to come back as an assistant? Would we want him to? Could he handle being an assistant after being an HC here? Should the utter failure of GA 2.0 be considered if BA did want to hire Wells as an assistant?

Overall, the GA 2.0 is still to recent in my mind so I would be nervous about bringing Wells back in any capacity...but Wells is not GA so it wouldn't necessarily be fair to treat the situations as the same.
I honestly don't think these two situations would be comparable... GA 2.0 was kinda just washed and burned out by the time he got here, I see no indication of the same thing happening to Wells. It would also be completely different to bring him on as an assistant rather than as head coach.
These users thanked the author trombone_ninja for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieakaggie


Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

User avatar
trombone_ninja
Posts: 1283
Joined: November 24th, 2013, 1:59 pm
Location: Kaysville, UT
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 163 times
Contact:

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by trombone_ninja » October 25th, 2021, 12:56 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:55 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:I would not be surprised to see Matt up in Logan before the end of the year in some sort of capacity.
I think this would be awesome! It’d be great to have some additional perspective. I know that the speculation was that Wells would meddle in the offense but maybe he also learned some things from Yost that he could pass along.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm also on board with this, but I'm wondering where on the staff we would want him? Do we want him to replace our current OC, or could he be a position coach, associate HC, something or other...?


Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

User avatar
CaptainChaos
Posts: 1215
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:58 am
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 154 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by CaptainChaos » October 25th, 2021, 12:57 pm

Maybe Wells can send some recruits our way.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
AggieFBObsession
Posts: 1709
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 2871 times
Been thanked: 404 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 25th, 2021, 12:59 pm

What makes anyone think he wants to be an assistant? I imagine he's extremely disappointed with this because he wants to be a head coach.



Imakeitrain
Posts: 9283
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 303 times
Been thanked: 672 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by Imakeitrain » October 25th, 2021, 1:00 pm

Wells as an offensive consultant this season and an AHC and slotted into a coordinator or position coach should one become available would be cool.


“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

dirtnsnow
Posts: 451
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 11:54 pm
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 201 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by dirtnsnow » October 25th, 2021, 1:02 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:51 pm
Sorry y’all but I would take millions of dollars to not work for USU in a heartbeat. 0 reason to regret making millions and millions of dollars. What happened after Matt left was Gary’s fault.

There are also plenty of coaches recently fired around the country some for non-football issues others fired prematurely in my opinion, that can take over at TT.
Agreed. I already make dozens of dollars not working for USU.


Aggies All the Way!

Imakeitrain
Posts: 9283
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 303 times
Been thanked: 672 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by Imakeitrain » October 25th, 2021, 1:02 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:59 pm
What makes anyone think he wants to be an assistant? I imagine he's extremely disappointed with this because he wants to be a head coach.
No one thinks he’d permanently be an assistant. It’s very likely that if UNR has its coach signed away Wells would get a strong look.

Saban is a master of taking in fired head coaches until their next head coaching gig.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
aggies22


“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 6273
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 693 times
Been thanked: 1500 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 25th, 2021, 1:03 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 1:02 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:59 pm
What makes anyone think he wants to be an assistant? I imagine he's extremely disappointed with this because he wants to be a head coach.
No one thinks he’d permanently be an assistant. It’s very likely that if UNR has its coach signed away Wells would get a strong look.

Saban is a master of taking in fired head coaches until their next head coaching gig.
That's a good point. Wells is probably a top candidate at any MWC school looking for a new head coach this offseason.



User avatar
trombone_ninja
Posts: 1283
Joined: November 24th, 2013, 1:59 pm
Location: Kaysville, UT
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 163 times
Contact:

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by trombone_ninja » October 25th, 2021, 1:04 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:59 pm
What makes anyone think he wants to be an assistant? I imagine he's extremely disappointed with this because he wants to be a head coach.
We're talking about being an assistant at Utah State, which could be more appealing to him than being an assistant anywhere else. Whether or not that's as appealing as being a head coach somewhere else, I couldn't say. Plus, it could be a solid landing spot while he looks for more head coaching jobs


Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 1777
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 623 times
Been thanked: 946 times

Re: Wells Fired at TT

Post by Sl7vk » October 25th, 2021, 1:05 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:57 pm
Maybe Wells can send some recruits our way.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would take Columbi back.

As for Wells, he tripled his income at TT. I don't think the Tech expectations are unreasonable. They expect to have bowl eligibility and a winning program.

Kingsbury was 6-7 and 5-7 in his last two years.
Matt was 4-8, 4-6 and about to finish 5-7 this year. For that kind of record, you don't need to pay 3 mill a year.

I'm not really sure what is next for Matt frankly. Best case scenario for him would be a G5 coaching job, because he was not a good cordinator.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic