major program lesson learned - we must improve our chain gang

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
BeNo

major program lesson learned - we must improve our chain gang

Post by BeNo » October 24th, 2021, 9:26 pm

re-watching the end. They be OLD and they be FAT. We need speed. They almost cost us the game. Way too long to move and set the chains.

Sl7vk

Re: major program lesson learned - we must improve our chain gang

Post by Sl7vk » October 24th, 2021, 9:30 pm

My son and I have side line passes and I kid you not one of the MW guys…. Not sure his role…. Had a walking cane.

Should have taken a photo.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
aggies22Aggie84025

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » October 24th, 2021, 9:37 pm

The dude with the down line marker didn't seem to know where he's supposed to be most of the time, either.

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » October 24th, 2021, 9:40 pm

Every game this season I have been too the chain guy is always sprinting last minute to get it set because he is late every time! Even after timeouts they are late setting it up and they had all the time in the world. I don’t know what the problem is but it needs to be fixed.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » October 24th, 2021, 11:04 pm

BearLakeMonster wrote:
October 24th, 2021, 9:37 pm
The dude with the down line marker didn't seem to know where he's supposed to be most of the time, either.
We had a first down on the north 10 yard line and the down line guy was at the south 20 and sprinted down the sideline at the end of a timeout. Just sat there for two minutes then booked it.

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » October 24th, 2021, 11:05 pm

There are yard markers on both sides of the field. The west side has a ‘most recent down’ marker with a lighted down sign. There is also an’estimate’ line to gain marker.
The last down marker is to stay in place until all possible conditions for the next play are in place. Just in case. When the officials signal that all is good the poor guy has to sprint to the next down spot. He always looks like he goofed up but it is by design.
The east side crew on the other hand sprints (or should) to mark the next play. That’s the one that the clock keeper is supposed to wait for. I am not sure what needs to be in place of the three markers - current play, 10 yard to go or line to gain.
I can say that it looked the the white hat head official got distracted by the CSU chaos and was slow starting the clock but it may just as well been the fault of the chain gang being slow on the east side.
These users thanked the author SectionBAggie for the post (total 9):
CodingAggieBlueLambchopsaggies22NVAggieAggiefan33thegreendalegelfAglicioussockpuppettrevordude

tjensen_25

Post by tjensen_25 » October 24th, 2021, 11:53 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
October 24th, 2021, 9:40 pm
Every game this season I have been too the chain guy is always sprinting last minute to get it set because he is late every time! Even after timeouts they are late setting it up and they had all the time in the world. I don’t know what the problem is but it needs to be fixed.
The down marker on the "non-chain" side is supposed to stay at the previous spot between quarters in case there is a problem with relocating the ball. So you will always see the "non-chain" down marker guy sprinting just before the ball is put in play. It does look strange, and I know the instances you're referring to, but that's their job.
These users thanked the author tjensen_25 for the post:
aggies22

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » October 24th, 2021, 11:56 pm

Shouldn’t USU have had a chance to sub? That would have also ran the clock out I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author CaptainChaos for the post (total 2):
aggies22AGinNEIowa

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » October 25th, 2021, 12:04 am

tjensen_25 wrote:
October 24th, 2021, 11:53 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
The down marker on the "non-chain" side is supposed to stay at the previous spot between quarters in case there is a problem with relocating the ball. So you will always see the "non-chain" down marker guy sprinting just before the ball is put in play. It does look strange, and I know the instances you're referring to, but that's their job.
That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying! I won’t get upset when I see it now lol

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » October 25th, 2021, 12:35 am

ThunderAggie wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:04 am
tjensen_25 wrote:
October 24th, 2021, 11:53 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying! I won’t get upset when I see it now lol
Interesting. I did not know that either and we must have been referring to the same instance. Thanks for the info.

tjensen_25

Post by tjensen_25 » October 25th, 2021, 12:44 am

CaptainChaos wrote:
October 24th, 2021, 11:56 pm
Shouldn’t USU have had a chance to sub? That would have also ran the clock out I think.

Yes, but there was about 9 seconds when the kick started; I don't think we could have "reasonably" taken that much time to substitute. In fact, it was probably the "Chaos" that worked to our advantage in CSU missing the kick. Slowing down anything for substitution or a motion penalty may have hurt us.
These users thanked the author tjensen_25 for the post:
JSHarvey

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 25th, 2021, 6:21 am

CaptainChaos wrote:

Yes.

BeNo

Post by BeNo » October 25th, 2021, 7:16 am

and noting - when we have the ball of course the chain gang should be taught to take a few more seconds.

aggieaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by aggieaggie » October 25th, 2021, 8:27 am

Is there a list of chain gang recruits anywhere? Aggies22, are there any 4 star recruits that are even interested in USU? With our new strength and conditioning program we might be able to attract at least one 4 star JC transfer or something. Aggies will never move to the next level unless we recruit more speed on the sidelines!!!
These users thanked the author aggieaggie for the post (total 3):
Aggiefan33BigBlueDartAggiePT

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 25th, 2021, 9:16 am

aggies22 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 6:21 am
CaptainChaos wrote:

Yes.
What is the timeframe that a ref has to run off for a chance to sub. Its hard to know if that would have gotten the Aggies there or not. CSU started the subbing obviously when the whistle blew on the previous play. 20 seconds passed before the game clock started running. The last Colorado offensive player crossed the sidelines at 8 seconds or 23 seconds in, and the snap occurred at 7 seconds.

How is that rule enforced? Does anyone know?

AGGIEFIGHT
Has thanked: 0

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » October 25th, 2021, 9:30 am

I may be off here but i think this is on the refs and not the chain gain. It used to be that all three chain gang markers had
to be set before the clock will start. Now- once the down marker is set the refs will start the clock while the chains are being set. The refs were taking a long time after a first down to start the clock. Our Chain gang crew has been doing this for a long
time and I rarely have seen them make mistakes. It is true that they are getting old but I think accuracy is more important than speed as long as they can run without falling down

Aggiefan160

Post by Aggiefan160 » October 25th, 2021, 10:07 am

tjensen_25 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:44 am
CaptainChaos wrote:

Yes, but there was about 9 seconds when the kick started; I don't think we could have "reasonably" taken that much time to substitute. In fact, it was probably the "Chaos" that worked to our advantage in CSU missing the kick. Slowing down anything for substitution or a motion penalty may have hurt us.
Coach Anderson said he didn't call a time out because of the chaos/disorganized nature of the other sideline in the post game. So I think you're right. And I'm really glad that kick was hurried, because I think if the kicker would have taken a couple seconds to calm his nerves and settle down, they still could have gotten the snap off in time and the execution might have been much better.

coolag

Post by coolag » October 25th, 2021, 10:19 am

Sounds kind of like our concessions crew as well.

Regulator of Class

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 25th, 2021, 11:32 am

I'm just glad it worked in our favor. I don't care much beyond that. I have seen enough bad karma for my team that I will take any good that comes our way.

I tried to find that botched ending against UNM in 2016 on youtube. I'm honestly glad that I couldn't find it because I know it would just make me angry. That game was the final straw for me with respects to Matt Wells. I couldn't believe how pathetic the last quarter of the game was. We should have probably won because Tarver definitely didn't PI on the TD catch. We then went full idiot and couldn't even get a kick off. I didn't even watch the rest of the season because I was done with that team. They ended up looking like idiots again against UNR and then rolled over for the Cougies.

2018 went a long way in repairing my frustration with Wells. That was his team 100%. Kudos to him for putting together a wonderful squad.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 25th, 2021, 1:15 pm

NVAggie wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:32 am
I'm just glad it worked in our favor. I don't care much beyond that. I have seen enough bad karma for my team that I will take any good that comes our way.

I tried to find that botched ending against UNM in 2016 on youtube. I'm honestly glad that I couldn't find it because I know it would just make me angry. That game was the final straw for me with respects to Matt Wells. I couldn't believe how pathetic the last quarter of the game was. We should have probably won because Tarver definitely didn't PI on the TD catch. We then went full idiot and couldn't even get a kick off. I didn't even watch the rest of the season because I was done with that team. They ended up looking like idiots again against UNR and then rolled over for the Cougies.

2018 went a long way in repairing my frustration with Wells. That was his team 100%. Kudos to him for putting together a wonderful squad.
https://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopi ... co#p462193
here's the whole game, thanks to @VideoBot

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 25th, 2021, 1:17 pm

I know that was there, but I was really trying to avoid that PTSD. I don't think I'm going to watch it. If you were watching that game at midnight you understand.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
AGinNEIowa

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 25th, 2021, 1:22 pm

hickaggie wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 9:16 am
aggies22 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 6:21 am
CaptainChaos wrote:

Yes.
What is the timeframe that a ref has to run off for a chance to sub. Its hard to know if that would have gotten the Aggies there or not. CSU started the subbing obviously when the whistle blew on the previous play. 20 seconds passed before the game clock started running. The last Colorado offensive player crossed the sidelines at 8 seconds or 23 seconds in, and the snap occurred at 7 seconds.

How is that rule enforced? Does anyone know?
Somebody asked this to Blake a few weeks ago in the coaches show. There is no hard rule other than the team substituting has to do it within a reasonable amount of time. It is left to the officials to monitor.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » October 25th, 2021, 1:24 pm

I'm glad we didn't substitute. CSU was so out of sorts that anything we would have done to slow their frenetic pace would have allowed them to calm down and realize there was plenty of time.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 25th, 2021, 1:24 pm

NVAggie wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:32 am

While the field goal and clock management was poor the offensive PI called on Tarver that set up that debacle was terrible as well. That was certainly a depressing year of Aggie football.

elcheque2

Post by elcheque2 » October 27th, 2021, 12:07 pm

Speaking of the chain gang. Look at this guy's reaction to the missed field goal.

These users thanked the author elcheque2 for the post:
thegreendalegelf

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 27th, 2021, 12:16 pm

I think that was the reaction to the coach's reaction...

BigBlueBlood

Post by BigBlueBlood » October 27th, 2021, 2:53 pm

This is a two edged sword, and depends upon whether you root for the team that needs more time, or the one that wants less, and on any given day, we could be either. However, I agree, it should not have to rely upon the speed of the chain gang. Refs should be able to spot the ball and run the clock without the gang catching up. Refs can keep track of a few down and distances on their own. Also, there's replay if necessary.

BigBlueAggie

Post by BigBlueAggie » October 28th, 2021, 1:09 pm

One thing I am very much appreciating about this coaching staff is their general game awareness and clock management. The fact Coach noticed the chaos and let it play out is just one example. We have had WAY too many bad examples of the opposite in the past.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 28th, 2021, 1:24 pm

BigBlueAggie wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 1:09 pm
One thing I am very much appreciating about this coaching staff is their general game awareness and clock management. The fact Coach noticed the chaos and let it play out is just one example. We have had WAY too many bad examples of the opposite in the past.
You are spot on. One thing they could have done better is to substitute since the rule is if the offense substitutes the defense is allowed to as well. Since CSU had no timeouts and the first down was not one where he ran out of bounds USU could have substituted and the clock would have been running and would have likely ran out.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » October 28th, 2021, 3:54 pm

If we had substituted, I believe CSU could have collected their thoughts and performed much better on that kick. It was a wonderful gift from them.

CastIronAggie

Post by CastIronAggie » October 28th, 2021, 4:01 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 1:24 pm
BigBlueAggie wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 1:09 pm
You are spot on. One thing they could have done better is to substitute since the rule is if the offense substitutes the defense is allowed to as well. Since CSU had no timeouts and the first down was not one where he ran out of bounds USU could have substituted and the clock would have been running and would have likely ran out.
I saw a college referee who posts on reddit say that that rule doesn't apply game ending FG unit situations.

The clock should have run out regardless though either from their slow substitutions or from a ten second run off from a false start.... I think.

Locked Previous topicNext topic