(Updated 11/11) Mountain West Bowl Eligibility

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
usubobcat

(Updated 11/11) Mountain West Bowl Eligibility

Post by usubobcat » October 24th, 2021, 9:57 am

((Edit Note: The updated version of this is on page 2 of this thread))

Here is how everything stands at the moment:

Mountain Division

Already Eligible: Air Force (6-2)

Work Left To Do:

Utah State (5-2)
Remaining schedule: vs Hawaii, @ New Mexico State, @ San Jose State, vs Wyoming, @ New Mexico
Outlook: With the second half of the schedule full of teams filling up the bottom of the MWC standings plus New Mexico State, the Aggies are a virtual lock to win one more game and attain bowl eligibility. Is a trip to the MWC championship game in the cards? With the head-to-head tiebreaker over the only other 1-loss team in the Mountain Division, the Aggies control their own destiny at this point, but will have to keep winning!

Wyoming (4-3)
Remaining schedule: @ San Jose State, vs Colorado State, @ Boise State, @ Utah State, vs Hawaii
Outlook: Despite their loss to New Mexico, the last-place Cowboys are actually only 2 wins away from bowl eligibility. Can they manufacture enough offense to get 2 more wins?

Colorado State (3-4)
Remaining schedule: vs Boise State, @ Wyoming, vs Air Force, @ Hawaii, vs Nevada
Outlook: Although currently in second place in the Mountain Division, Colorado State will need to win at least one more game at home this year, where there opponents will be Boise, Air Force, and Nevada. The loss to the Aggies was crushing, not just because of the way it happened, but it also makes getting bowl eligible much more difficult.

Boise State (3-4)
Remaining schedule: @ Colorado State, @ Fresno State, vs Wyoming, vs New Mexico, @ San Diego State
Outlook: It sure feels nice to put the Broncos this far down on this ranking! Their matchup against Colorado State will leave 1 team as the main challenger to the Aggies for the Mountain Division crown this year. Barring getting some difficult wins at a couple of strong West Division teams, the Broncos are going to have to take care of business against all of their remaining Mountain Division foes just to get to 6 wins.

New Mexico (3-5)
Remaining schedule: vs UNLV, @ Fresno State, @ Boise State, vs Utah State
Outlook: The Lobos aren't in last place in the division! Thanks to their victory over Wyoming, New Mexico is now only second-to-last. Can this team find 3 more wins against their remaining schedule? Don't count on it.

Ineligible: None

West Division

Already Eligible: San Diego State (7-0), Fresno State (6-2)

Work Left To Do:

Nevada (5-2)
Remaining schedule: vs UNLV, @ San Jose State, @ San Diego State, vs Air Force, @ Colorado State
Outlook: The Wolfpack just need to beat UNLV next week to become bowl eligible. They also still have an opportunity to beat the division-leading Aztecs. The West Division looks like a 3-team race between Nevada and the 2 already eligible teams.

San Jose State (4-4)
Remaining schedule: vs Wyoming, @ Nevada, vs Utah State, vs Fresno State
Outlook: Two more wins? Difficult, but not impossible. The Spartans need to beat Wyoming first. Getting 2 wins out of their other 3 games will be very difficult.

Hawaii (4-4)
Remaining schedule: @ Utah State, vs San Diego State, @ UNLV, vs Colorado State, @ Wyoming
Outlook: With a couple of teams still on the schedule that are currently winless in conference games, it looks like Hawaii could get to 6 wins if they take care of business on the road. However, because they play a 13-game schedule, Hawaii is going to need to pick up another win somewhere to make it to eligibility. They're going to come into Logan looking for a win!

Ineligible: UNLV (0-7)

Thoughts:
There seems to be a lot of parity in the conference this year. We know there are 3 teams already eligible and 2 more likely to become eligible very soon. Beyond that, it's difficult to tell which teams will be eligible and which won't by the end of the season. I will update this post soon with information showing the conference's bowl tie-ins this year, unless somebody beats me to it in a reply.
Last edited by usubobcat on November 11th, 2021, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author usubobcat for the post (total 6):
Aggie84025LKGatesUSU78aggies223rdGenAggieAggie702

Classic Blunders:
1) Getting involved in a land war in Asia
2) Going in against a Sicilian when death is on the line

AggieFBObsession

Re: Mountain West Bowl Eligibility

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 24th, 2021, 10:20 am

Can't Hawaii be 6-7 and still be bowl eligible? Anyone?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 24th, 2021, 11:17 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
October 24th, 2021, 10:20 am
No. 2016 they made the Hawaii bowl at 6-7, but only because there were not enough bowl eligible teams. 2011 Hawaii went 6-7 and was not bowl eligible
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionaggies22

LKGates

Post by LKGates » October 24th, 2021, 1:56 pm

usubobcat wrote:
October 24th, 2021, 9:57 am
Thoughts:
There seems to be a lot of parity in the conference this year. We know there are 3 teams already eligible and 2 more likely to become eligible very soon. Beyond that, it's difficult to tell which teams will be eligible and which won't by the end of the season. I will update this post soon with information showing the conference's bowl tie-ins this year, unless somebody beats me to it in a reply.
Guaranteed MWC Bowls:
Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (vs MAC)
Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl (vs PAC-12)
New Mexico Bowl (vs CUSA)
Offerpad Arizona Bowl (vs MAC)
SoFi Hawai'i Bowl (vs AAC)

Secondary Bowls (Contract to fill in if the primary conference doesn't have enough bowl eligible teams):
Guaranteed Rate Fiesta Bowl (vs Big-10 or Big-12)

Bowls open to G5 in general, to be distributed as needed:
Cure Bowl (vs G5 or Army)
RoofClaim.com Boca Raton Bowl (vs G5 or Army)
SERVPRO First Responder Bowl (vs G5 or Army)
Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl (vs G5 or Army)
Last edited by LKGates on October 24th, 2021, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 2):
USU78usubobcat

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » October 24th, 2021, 2:11 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
October 24th, 2021, 11:17 am
AggieFBObsession wrote:
No. 2016 they made the Hawaii bowl at 6-7, but only because there were not enough bowl eligible teams. 2011 Hawaii went 6-7 and was not bowl eligible
I believe that 6-7 teams are eligible but only if there are not enough 6-6 teams to fill all available bowls. So Hawaii has a chance to go to a bowl game with a 6-7 record, but it is not guaranteed.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 24th, 2021, 2:29 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
October 24th, 2021, 2:11 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
October 24th, 2021, 11:17 am
AggieFBObsession wrote:
I believe that 6-7 teams are eligible but only if there are not enough 6-6 teams to fill all available bowls. So Hawaii has a chance to go to a bowl game with a 6-7 record, but it is not guaranteed.
Yeah that is what my post inferred. It is good to see you stanford. Hope you stick around more than a few posts every few years during a coaching search.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
StanfordAggie

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » October 24th, 2021, 4:07 pm

I really want that LA Bowl. Need an excuse to go see the new stadium.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 3):
aggies22ImakeitrainStanfordAggie

LKGates

Post by LKGates » October 24th, 2021, 5:58 pm

For those of you curious about times and locations:
Famous Idaho Potato 12/21 Boise, ID
Jimmy Kimmel LA 12/18 Los Angeles, CA
New Mexico 12/18 Albuquerque, NM
Arizona 12/31 Tuscon, AZ
Hawaii 12/24 Honolulu, HI*
Fiesta 1/1 Glendale, AZ
Cure 12/17 Orlando, FL
Boca Raton 12/18 Boca Raton, FL
First Responder 12/28 Dallas, TX
Frisco 12/21 Frisco, TX

*Special note. Since Hawaii's stadium has been condemned, the Hawaii Bowl will be held at the UH practice facility, which has a seating capacity of 4,100. No, I am not making that up.

I don't think there is a chance in hell that a MWC team winds up in the Fiesta Bowl. I think our most likely scenario is winning the Mountain division, and getting steamrolled by SDSU. The conference champion will almost certainly go to the LA Bowl.
Technically, that puts us second in the conference, but realistically, I think Fresno, Nevada, and Airforce will all be viewed as more desirable teams, possibly even Boise. I'd say prepare for the New Mexico, or possibly the Potato, AGAIN.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 2):
usubobcatAggieBlues

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

usubobcat

Post by usubobcat » October 24th, 2021, 7:54 pm

Any postseason we get this year just feels like a bonus to me. I will be delighted with going to any bowl.

Of course it would be better to go to a relatively more awesome bowl. But I'm just delighted we're even talking about bowls and fighting for a possible division championship.

Classic Blunders:

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » October 25th, 2021, 10:59 am

usubobcat wrote:
October 24th, 2021, 7:54 pm
Any postseason we get this year just feels like a bonus to me. I will be delighted with going to any bowl.

Of course it would be better to go to a relatively more awesome bowl. But I'm just delighted we're even talking about bowls and fighting for a possible division championship.
Anything but the potato bowl. That game shouldn't exist.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 25th, 2021, 11:41 am

Here is my order of bowls I'd like to see the Aggies in among those with MWC ties and those that are "at large" (with the safe assumption that the Fiesta Bowl will not go MWC).

LA Bowl - not too far away, fun location, and best payout (no number I could find, but it'll be pretty good). Good size drop off after this one from a desirability standpoint.
Boca Raton Bowl - it's far away, but is a fun location for the players and has a $900k payout.
First Responder Bowl - Always good to play in Texas, has a $825k payout.
New Mexico Bowl - we've been there a lot, boring location, but it's not too far away and has a $1 million payout.
Frisco Bowl - Always good to play in Texas, has a $650k payout.
Hawaii - so far away, on a terrible date, but super fun location and $1.2 million payout.
Potato Bowl - boring, Boise, but an $800k payout
Cure Bowl - far away, fun location, $575k payout.
Arizona Bowl - At least Tucson is nice in December, Barstool Sports will be a fun sponsor, $350k payout.
Last edited by 3rdGenAggie on October 25th, 2021, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » October 25th, 2021, 11:44 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 11:41 am
Here is my order of bowls I'd like to see the Aggies in among those with MWC ties and those that are "at large" (with the safe assumption that the Fiesta Bowl will not go MWC).

LA Bowl - not too far away, fun location, and best payout (no number I could find, but it'll be pretty good.[/url]). Good size drop off after this one from a desirability standpoint.
Boca Raton Bowl - it's far away, but is a fun location for the players and has a $900k payout.
New Mexico Bowl - we've been there a lot, boring location, but it's not too far away and has a $1 million payout.
Hawaii - so far away, on a terrible date, but super fun location and $1.2 million payout.
Arizona Bowl - At least Tucson is nice in December, Barstool Sports will be a fun sponsor, $350k payout.
LA bowl would be awesome. Would mean we won the conference.
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post:
3rdGenAggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 25th, 2021, 11:52 am

A bowl game would be awesome this year. I'm not going to be picky after last year.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 25th, 2021, 12:36 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 10:59 am
usubobcat wrote:
October 24th, 2021, 7:54 pm

Anything but the potato bowl. That game shouldn't exist.
Certainly not my first choice, but it is still good for the team in terms of practices for the players. I will certainly go to the game in Boise, but would prefer a bowl game.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 25th, 2021, 12:38 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:

LA Bowl - not too far away, fun location, and best payout (no number I could find, but it'll be pretty good). Good size drop off after this one from a desirability standpoint.
I know the Arizona bowl has a low payout, but the location and weather are great. Would love to see the Aggies go back there.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
3rdGenAggie

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » October 25th, 2021, 12:42 pm

My bowl preferences probably have more to do with which bowls I'd be most likely to be able to attend:

New Mexico - Saturday, long but doable drive or a pretty short flight
Arizona - NY Eve, I have it off, not too far, really enjoyed it in 2017 (aside from final score)
LA - Same as NM, but probably less likely
Fiesta - Saturday, not too far, but probably least likely
Boca Raton - Saturday, but pretty far and would be tough to make it work

usubobcat

Post by usubobcat » October 25th, 2021, 1:01 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:42 pm
My bowl preferences probably have more to do with which bowls I'd be most likely to be able to attend:

New Mexico - Saturday, long but doable drive or a pretty short flight
Arizona - NY Eve, I have it off, not too far, really enjoyed it in 2017 (aside from final score)
LA - Same as NM, but probably less likely
Fiesta - Saturday, not too far, but probably least likely
Boca Raton - Saturday, but pretty far and would be tough to make it work
I was thinking along the same lines. The date of the Arizona Bowl makes it far and away the most likely for me to be able to attend. I also had a great time the last time we were there.

The Potato Bowl is a little worse for scheduling for me.

The New Mexico and Los Angeles bowls are still worse for scheduling, although I would take an annoyance in my schedule if the Aggies could go to L.A.

Anything aside from those, and I will probably not be going. Aren't the bowl payouts reduced if a school doesn't sell its ticket allotment? So some of those farther away bowls may not be as nice as they seem if their payouts are reduced.

Classic Blunders:

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » October 25th, 2021, 1:26 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:38 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:

I know the Arizona bowl has a low payout, but the location and weather are great. Would love to see the Aggies go back there.
From a fan standpoint, I love the AZ bowl. Would love to go back. I want the LA bowl most and it isn't even close because of what that would mean...

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » October 25th, 2021, 1:30 pm

Considering I likely won’t attend any of them in person, I want the bowl with the best matchup. Hawaii has an AAC tie so that’d be fun, as would a PAC12 or military academy matchup. I wouldn’t be too thrilled to play a CUSA team. MAC teams are usually better than advertised but don’t do much for me.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » October 26th, 2021, 10:17 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 1:30 pm
Considering I likely won’t attend any of them in person, I want the bowl with the best matchup. Hawaii has an AAC tie so that’d be fun, as would a PAC12 or military academy matchup. I wouldn’t be too thrilled to play a CUSA team. MAC teams are usually better than advertised but don’t do much for me.
I wan to avoid any military academy matchup. I love watching them play other teams. Hate watching them play us.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 26th, 2021, 10:58 am

Boca Raton is full of old people and the closest airport is Fort Lauderdale, more than an hour away. Though, it is close to the ocean so that would be fun and temperatures will be mild. The adventurous could drive down to Miami and party with the Europeans who visit in the winter and drive up the hotel prices.

Orlando has an international airport and though I hate the city (talk about urban sprawl) would probably be the most 'fun' for families and those who might want to imbibe a tad. Not close to the water but the drive for me would be just over an hour each way. Geez I hate that city.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » October 26th, 2021, 10:58 am

ESPN's Kyle Bonagura has USU sitting at home this post season, while Boise, Air Force, and Wyoming all go to bowl games.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/i ... oma-scares
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post:
FloridaAggie13

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 26th, 2021, 11:01 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 10:58 am
ESPN's Kyle Bonagura has USU sitting at home this post season, while Boise, Air Force, and Wyoming all go to bowl games.

I bet he never even checked the MWC standings.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
aggies22

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » October 26th, 2021, 11:04 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 11:01 am
swordsman1989 wrote:

Exactly. Which is why national sports media sucks.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13aggies22

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 26th, 2021, 11:07 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 11:04 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:

It would be fun to quickly quiz a jack a$$ like him. "Hey, what do you think of Pacific's chances of going bowling this year?" And hear him make up some garbage on the fly about how they have shown improvement but have a tough schedule down the stretch so it will be tough.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
aggies22

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » October 26th, 2021, 11:11 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 11:07 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 11:04 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:

It would be fun to quickly quiz a jack a$$ like him. "Hey, what do you think of Pacific's chances of going bowling this year?" And hear him make up some garbage on the fly about how they have shown improvement but have a tough schedule down the stretch so it will be tough.
Lol. Pacific has those tough games against Long Beach State and Cal State Fullerton to end the season. That will determine their bowl eligibility!

inconspicuous

Post by inconspicuous » October 26th, 2021, 1:08 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:

It is my understanding that those payouts are used to pay for the trip cost as well. Not sure what the cost is for the whole team to travel to a bowl etc, but in terms of Hawaii I imagine the final payout to be much lower once the trip cost have been deducted.
Anyone here have some knowledge about the details and is willing to elaborate?

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 26th, 2021, 2:26 pm

I think we typically fly commercial to Hawaii and ship the gear. That said, according to Google it costs around $20,000 an hour to charter a 737. If the team chartered a 737 to Hawaii (not sure if that even makes sense, we'd have to ask an aviation person) it would cost close to $250,000 just for the fly time to get the team and staff out there and back.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

SLB

Post by SLB » October 26th, 2021, 3:31 pm

What about that Cheez-it bowl?

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » October 26th, 2021, 3:35 pm

SLB wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 3:31 pm
Meh. I've already got one at home.
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post:
AGinNEIowa

SLB

Post by SLB » October 26th, 2021, 3:39 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 3:35 pm
SLB wrote:
There was a bowl game that was the Cheez-It one where the MWC was a sub for the PAC-12 or Big-12 if they fell short of one team.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 26th, 2021, 3:55 pm

SLB wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 3:39 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
SLB wrote:
There was a bowl game that was the Cheez-It one where the MWC was a sub for the PAC-12 or Big-12 if they fell short of one team.
I believe the Cheez It Bowl is out east now. The one you are talking about I believe is called the guaranteed rate bowl.

SLB

Post by SLB » October 26th, 2021, 4:11 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 3:55 pm
SLB wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 3:39 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
SLB wrote:
I believe the Cheez It Bowl is out east now. The one you are talking about I believe is called the guaranteed rate bowl.
It is a bowl game that can happen.

SLB

Post by SLB » October 26th, 2021, 4:23 pm

I did some research on this topic.
https://collegefootballnews.com/2021/07 ... -2021-2022
Mountain West Bowl Tie-Ins, Affiliations
Highest-ranked champion from the AAC, C-USA, MAC, MW & Sun Belt will play in a New Year’s Six bowl – either a College Football Playoff semifinal, Peach Bowl, or Fiesta Bowl.

The Mountain West doesn’t have a true pecking order. The bowl matchups are based on best possible games and geography. The conference is guaranteed to have six bowl slots during each bowl season until 2025-2026.

– Famous Idaho Potato Bowl vs. MAC
– Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl vs. Pac-12
– New Mexico Bowl vs. Conference USA
– Offerpad Arizona Bowl vs. MAC
– SoFi Hawai’i Bowl vs. American Athletic

Mountain West has an affiliation to fill-in if needed …

– Guaranteed Rate Bowl vs. Big Ten or Big 12

To be determined among the Group of Five conferences …

– Cure Bowl vs. Group of Five or Army
– RoofClaim.com Boca Raton Bowl vs. Group of Five or Army
– SERVPRO First Responder Bowl vs. Group of Five or Army
– Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl vs. Group of Five or Army

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 26th, 2021, 6:51 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
SLB wrote: